• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WC3 Download Archive (1.00 - 1.31.1 + BETA & DEMO)

Level 29
This is correct, but that path is almost the right one, and you just shared cd-keys. Guiding people to open hidden folders sometimes causes more confusion than benefit. windrive/ProgramData/Blizzard Entertainment/Warcraft III is also only used by some newer versions of the game, while 1.28 for example stores these 3 files right in the install folder, so it is a bit more general to tell them to wait for the cd-key popup, even if it can break
You're right. It has been documented here:
Where are CD keys stored?
1.00-1.27b "War3.mpq" (ROC) and "War3X.mpq" (TFT). The keys are in the MPQ archives, in the "font" folder (in encrypted form)
1.28.0.7205-1.29.2.9231 roc.w3k tft.w3k in the Warcraft folder
1.30.0.9900-1.32.0.14722 roc.w3k tft.w3k in the folder C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III
I can confirm that if you downloaded 1.30 or 1.31 from this thread, you'll be prompted to insert the CD-keys as you would normally install the latest version of WC3. At this point, you should download the CD-keys and then put them in the ProgramData (only "roc.w3k" and "user.w3k" are required for 1.31).

Level 1
Hive bot only now alerted me about this reply, you can place custom maps in Documents/Warcraft III/Maps and campaigns into Documents/Warcraft III/Campaigns (you might have to make the campaigns folder yourself) and they will show up in the game selection screens
I have the reforged version, so how would I have the old version of Warcraft 3 to differentiate to choose the older version and not the newer version?

Level 17
I have the reforged version, so how would I have the old version of Warcraft 3 to differentiate to choose the older version and not the newer version?
The maps and campaigns go into the same folders between 1.32+ and old, and that's ok. The old versions will not show most of the maps they can't open, and at the end of the day you should know not to try opening 1.32+ maps on pre-32

Level 1
The maps and campaigns go into the same folders between 1.32+ and old, and that's ok. The old versions will not show most of the maps they can't open, and at the end of the day you should know not to try opening 1.32+ maps on pre-32
So just make a folder labeled "Custom Campaigns" and it should work?

Level 29
So just make a folder labeled "Custom Campaigns" and it should work?
You'll need this tool in order to play custom campaigns on Reforged:

After splitting your campaign, just place all maps to "Documents/Warcraft III/Maps" as usual.

Level 1
Kinda stuck on trying to open up the campaign splitter, doesn't seem to be a way to open it up but then again I am kinda technological challenged in this section of expertise.

Level 17
Kinda stuck on trying to open up the campaign splitter, doesn't seem to be a way to open it up but then again I am kinda technological challenged in this section of expertise.
the campaign splitter is not needed for any version before 1.32, its inclusion here was good-hearted but possibly misguided. It is used for 1.32+ because 1.32+ lacks a custom campaigns option

Level 1
I don't know what version they run on, but the campaigns that I was trying to get set-up were the Enhanced Campaigns from soviet_00. Had them working on the old version up until a certain point (Human mission 8, undead mission 2, etc.) and just wanna enjoy some custom campaigns.

Level 17
Does someone have a backup of the last version of the 1.32 patch?
Not quite the latest (second to latest), and SD-only because I don't have enough storage space, but here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uphY90A5U2UUadJtw2v3ZDFe-JnZVaCR/view?usp=sharing
And it's only 5 gigabytes :smile:

Run the reg file, then open the correct exes only, and with -launch (standard 1.32+ stuff)
(Since this is no-CASC, don't try to use it to play, only for emergency WE and tests, unless you really know what you're doing.)

Last edited:
Level 19
I found this useful thread about RoC beta and TFT beta (aka Warcraft 3 Expansion Beta) here: Warcraft 3 Beta - BetaArchive
Unfortunately some links were removed and nothing was archived. However there is a nice list of all known beta versions and a tool to play the beta versions on a custom PvPGN server (is it the correct name?)
I'm gonna see if the betas support -loadfile to start a map in singleplayer without any hacks. Still, if anyone is seriously interested in exploring those versions, I guess we need to recreate cr... exe patchers. One for the CD check for each patch and another for the installer. Last but not least, somewhere was mentioned that you need to set the date back to ~2002 to start some patch.

Anyone with reverse engineering knowledge is welcome to participate and bring the betas alive :)

EDIT & PS: 2001 ECTS video gameplay demo [68 MB]:
  • Old tree and terrain textures
  • Heroes only have 4 items. That means the 6 item slots aren't hardcoded at all and they've changed it in the past. The item slot count is only hardcoded in all your maps :D
  • Old hero UI

Last edited:
Level 29
Where is 1.32??
Check the Bogdan's post above. Be advised that the link that guy provided here isn't for the latest version (1.32.10) and NO HD mode options (probably due to the big size).
You can also get the very latest version from Google, which is the latest one with HD mode enabled. Once again, I can't share the download links because of Hive's rule.

Level 7
Thank you very much. I'm trying googling but most of them are for reforged hmmm.. And if there exists 1.32 version, why administrator doesn't share it on this thread?
Check the Bogdan's post above. Be advised that the link that guy provided here isn't for the latest version (1.32.10) and NO HD mode options (probably due to the big size).
You can also get the very latest version from Google, which is the latest one with HD mode enabled. Once again, I can't share the download links because of Hive's rule.

Level 29
Thank you very much. I'm trying googling but most of them are for reforged hmmm.. And if there exists 1.32 version, why administrator doesn't share it on this thread?
All WC3 download links that's not officially made by Blizzard (especially the ones with cracks) are piracy contents, so it's not allowed.

Level 1
All WC3 download links that's not officially made by Blizzard (especially the ones with cracks) are piracy contents, so it's not allowed.
Hey, I just created my account to ask this question. So I am trying to play the Zerg Custom Campaign: Invasion of Azeroth, and I am having trouble. Previously the game would work, but it requires version 1.28 or 1.29 versions. The 1.28.5 just refuses to launch, and the 1.29 sends me to reforged which I don't own and apparently requires a work around since they axed the custom campaigns. I've tried launching different versions to find one that works, but they don't work (Can't access the custom campaign), refuse to launch (Says game.dll refused to launch), or are W3R and won't work properly. Is there a work around or some way I can download a patch that works? Any help to fix the game.dll issue would also be greatly appreciated if you have any knowledge in that regard. Sorry for the ping

Level 17
Hey, I just created my account to ask this question. So I am trying to play the Zerg Custom Campaign: Invasion of Azeroth, and I am having trouble. Previously the game would work, but it requires version 1.28 or 1.29 versions. The 1.28.5 just refuses to launch, and the 1.29 sends me to reforged which I don't own and apparently requires a work around since they axed the custom campaigns. I've tried launching different versions to find one that works, but they don't work (Can't access the custom campaign), refuse to launch (Says game.dll refused to launch), or are W3R and won't work properly. Is there a work around or some way I can download a patch that works? Any help to fix the game.dll issue would also be greatly appreciated if you have any knowledge in that regard. Sorry for the ping
For 1.29, are you sure you're opening Warcraft III.exe and not Warcraft III Launcher.exe?
For the other ones, can't really say why they wouldn't work. If you're sure it doesn't support 1.31, that's a bit of a shame, but 1.29 is stable enough, for most people

Level 11
i am playing Warcraft 3 1.0 of now with DGvoodoo2 d3d8 as bonus and i must say, it is a very different and fluid game compared to later patches.

though i had to download winace to get the nocd to work but that isn't a bonus

interestingly though, stretched 4:3 which is the game is without widescreen looks nicer than the widescreen res that came out later.
mainly with cinematics

Last edited:
Level 29
So I am trying to play the Zerg Custom Campaign: Invasion of Azeroth, and I am having trouble. Previously the game would work, but it requires version 1.28 or 1.29 versions. The 1.28.5 just refuses to launch, and the 1.29 sends me to reforged which I don't own and apparently requires a work around since they axed the custom campaigns.
You have to ask this question through here since you mentioned the name of campaign:

In addition to the patch, you'll also need a "War3Mod.mpq" or something similar.
Talking about the version you need to play this campaign, 1.30 and 1.31 don't have MPQ (due to the CASC), so I guess it won't work.

Level 5
Yo guys, may be you could help me with downloading campaigns for W3 Mac version (game bought and installed).
I really struggle to figure that out sadly

Level 29
Yo guys, may be you could help me with downloading campaigns for W3 Mac version (game bought and installed).
I really struggle to figure that out sadly
If you talk something about "buying the game" regarding to Warcraft III, it must have been Reforged since Classic W3 isn't available anymore.
And since you are using the Mac, it's literally impossible to play custom campaigns with Reforged. Tools like Campaign Splitter or Quenching Mod are only tested in Windows.

Level 5
If you talk something about "buying the game" regarding to Warcraft III, it must have been Reforged since Classic W3 isn't available anymore.
And since you are using the Mac, it's literally impossible to play custom campaigns with Reforged. Tools like Campaign Splitter or Quenching Mod are only tested in Windows.
Ty very much, may be I could get some older version for Mac? idk and google didn't help much with that

Level 29
Ty very much, may be I could get some older version for Mac? idk and google didn't help much with that
There's only one solution to install Warcraft 3 on Mac, which is Wineskin. However, it's very outdated for the recent macOS (you probably need Darwine):

Recently I was being a little bit paranoid and so I wanted to compare the md5 checksums of the Hive's Patch 1.29.2 backup against a backup of my own from an official Blizzard download years ago. For anyone else interested in checking these values in the future, here is the output of running md5sum on Windows against the entire Warcraft III Patch 1.29.2 folder:
Code:
$ md5sum.exe *
8bc29ababa0677fa578e82ce2bd0e45b *BlizzardError.exe
14bd3a3e17ef2ee5e8c9434a6a45bbfc *CustomKeyInfo.txt
51eb07f972a121421991f25422855d73 *CustomKeysSample.txt
3735edd157e6b116bbce6777c614a8bc *Deprecated.mpq
bb37dcff689b02fceae629777de2b779 *Launcher.db
md5sum: Maps: Is a directory
md5sum: Movies: Is a directory
b75a8e0ddeeb4330c1dba37105244b0f *Mss32.dll
a1f9191578ccf9869a952e47591e1708 *SystemSurvey.exe
fc4e2033ec2bb5266a4294b3dc871431 *War3.mpq
8753fea3698b6e643553d24fecda295d *War3Local.mpq
17ff486f0e8ddccbd13cb218953b5ef5 *War3x.mpq
b6a83c679f26cb96584eb3caf39f7c6a *War3xLocal.mpq
039f99e0d153a34df7114e1b04171ca1 *Warcraft III Launcher.exe
c453b4a0bde1a47f41cb2475573edb84 *Warcraft III.exe
d76c8443fc58215fbee97905c056e421 *World Editor.exe
e997a24d7324ec174111c356251d56f6 *blizzard.ax
md5sum: redist: Is a directory
757739ea13489d570c0db5ed4c2ddf4d *replays.ico

Notably, these hashes from my own backup exactly match the Hive's Patch 1.29.2 backup in every way (except that I don't have a bncache.dat file). So if anyone was ever paranoid about this, I think this is a nice way to ensure that what you download here on Hive can be independently verified (by me, at least) to be the original game program from Blizzard. Thanks!

Level 8
I have two questions.

1) How do I go back to 1.32 before patch 1.33 broke things (well, broke things more)?

2) Alternatively, how do I go back to before reforged entirely? Original unbroken wc3 was much better than broken wc3 with HD skins.

Level 2
Hey! I've been itching to try out some of these old, highly rated custom campaigns but I'm a little unsure of which patches to download/known issues with them. It's nice when campaigns provide info on the exact patch they're meant for, but does anyone know of good general patches to use when playing other custom campaigns? For example, a lot of them say 1.24a-1.28c, however I just tried one on 1.27b and ran into some sort of weird attack speed glitch where my guys are attacking slowly despite having gobs of Agility (saw other playthroughs online and confirmed they should normally be attacking faster). If anyone could provide insight on dependable/favorite patches, I'd really appreciate it!

Level 29
I have two questions.

1) How do I go back to 1.32 before patch 1.33 broke things (well, broke things more)?

2) Alternatively, how do I go back to before reforged entirely? Original unbroken wc3 was much better than broken wc3 with HD skins.
For the first question, please refer to Bogdan's post above (he'll provide a download link for 1.32, but lacks HD mode functionality) or just rely the Blizzget method that Luashine provided for you.
For the second question, which is to revert the Classic Warcraft 3 back (no Reforged and no HD skins), please refer to the 1.31 installation guide. Additionally, you might need this tool if you want to use both Classic and Reforged WE without problems.
Hey! I've been itching to try out some of these old, highly rated custom campaigns but I'm a little unsure of which patches to download/known issues with them. It's nice when campaigns provide info on the exact patch they're meant for, but does anyone know of good general patches to use when playing other custom campaigns? For example, a lot of them say 1.24a-1.28c, however I just tried one on 1.27b and ran into some sort of weird attack speed glitch where my guys are attacking slowly despite having gobs of Agility (saw other playthroughs online and confirmed they should normally be attacking faster). If anyone could provide insight on dependable/favorite patches, I'd really appreciate it!
For me, it's best to use 1.27b or 1.30.4 (if some campaigns are made using the version higher than 1.27), but I decided to stay on 1.29.2 without custom campaigns since this is one of the Warcraft 3 patches that has working MPQ before Blizzard turned it to 1GB-ish "Data" folder (CASC).
However, not all campaigns are very safe for the specific patches. 1.31 can broke important things related to custom campaigns such as the inability to save-load (due to the broken unit triggers) and the inability to return back to the map selection menu after exiting the gameplay (due to the black screen glitch).

Level 10
Not quite the latest (second to latest), and SD-only because I don't have enough storage space, but here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uphY90A5U2UUadJtw2v3ZDFe-JnZVaCR/view?usp=sharing
Run the reg file, then open the correct exes only, and with -launch (standard 1.32 stuff)
Hello, What is the purpose of the Reg file?

Besides, I used the .exe file in the _retail folder (without -launcher) but it still launched to the Blizzard and automatically update.
Then I hit the play (after the automatic update completed), the start screen began with a lion head on a wooden door background.
Immediately, a board showed up tell me "there is an error with login in" - I hit ok and there was nothing else that I could do to enter the game beside two buttons: "options" & "exit". The "Play Offline" one is grayed out.

Level 17
Hello, What is the purpose of the Reg file?

Besides, I used the .exe file in the _retail folder (without -launcher) but it still launched to the Blizzard and automatically update.
Then I hit the play (after the automatic update completed), the start screen began with a lion head on a wooden door background.
Immediately, a board showed up tell me "there is an error with login in" - I hit ok and there was nothing else that I could do to enter the game beside two buttons: "options" & "exit". The "Play Offline" one is grayed out.
The reg file is to tell the game to consider using the local data, and if you launch without -launch you won't really do anything smart with this.

Pal

Pal

Level 1
Hello, can anyone help me please:(

I dowload the patch 1.31 files, is there more file to copy🥺?

Level 29
Hello, can anyone help me please:(

I dowload the patch 1.31 files, is there more file to copy🥺?
Please don't give this kind of question. It's more confusing.
I would say after downloading game, you just extract the whole contents, then play the game. All versions above 1.28 are portable since Blizzard deprecated the option to install an official version of the classic Warcraft 3 (which became Reforged).

Level 28
Hello, can someone help me?

I downloaded the RoC + TFT 1.27a installers but when I click on play it launches my other warcraft 3 version 1.29.2.

I deleted all the keys from the registry but the issue still persist.

What am I doing wrong?

Level 29
Hello, can someone help me?

I downloaded the RoC + TFT 1.27a installers but when I click on play it launches my other warcraft 3 version 1.29.2.

I deleted all the keys from the registry but the issue still persist.

What am I doing wrong?
Don't install both versions of WC3 in the same folder. This might be the reason the game is not working.
After you downloaded the 1.27, just follow the instructions, but be sure to install it to different paths, assuming that you've deleted the registry first.
To be clear, WC3 uses an old executable file with 1.27, which still has two EXEs being separated (Warcraft III.exe for ROC and Frozen Throne.exe for TFT). If you use 1.29.2, both TFT game and editor executable file uses the original Reign of Chaos EXE one.

Level 28
Don't install both versions of WC3 in the same folder. This might be the reason the game is not working.
After you downloaded the 1.27, just follow the instructions, but be sure to install it to different paths, assuming that you've deleted the registry first.
To be clear, WC3 uses an old executable file with 1.27, which still has two EXEs being separated (Warcraft III.exe for ROC and Frozen Throne.exe for TFT). If you use 1.29.2, both TFT game and editor executable file uses the original Reign of Chaos EXE one.
I have two versions of the game 1.29.2 and 1.31.1 both installed on the same disk partition (D) but not in the same folder, each version has its own folder, the 1.27a installer is also in a seperate folder.
I don't know what are those instructions you're talking about, I don't see any option to install expect for playing. I guess the installer thinks that the game is already installed but it's not.
I deleted the Warcraft III and WorldEdit folders from the registry so I don't know why 1.29 is interfering with 1.27...
I only want to go back to 1.27 because it's the best stable version which I used for a long time and also because it's in french. All the versions I found here are in english.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.png
    2.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 3.png
    3.png
    381.6 KB · Views: 53
Level 29
I have two versions of the game 1.29.2 and 1.31.1 both installed on the same disk partition (D) but not in the same folder, each version has its own folder, the 1.27a installer is also in a seperate folder.
I don't know what are those instructions you're talking about, I don't see any option to install expect for playing. I guess the installer thinks that the game is already installed but it's not.
I deleted the Warcraft III and WorldEdit folders from the registry so I don't know why 1.29 is interfering with 1.27...
I only want to go back to 1.27 because it's the best stable version which I used for a long time and also because it's in french. All the versions I found here are in english.
Have you ever check out this thread beforehand?

Some suggests that you'll have to remove the existing WC3, purge the entire registry, and then restart the computer.
If you get missing CD-Keys, you can navigate to "ProgramData/Blizzard/Warcraft III" and making three w3k files (roc, tft, user).
Don't use the 1.29 or 1.31 files on existing 1.27 installation. Those files are completely different archives (standalone).

Level 28
Have you ever check out this thread beforehand?

Some suggests that you'll have to remove the existing WC3, purge the entire registry, and then restart the computer.
If you get missing CD-Keys, you can navigate to "ProgramData/Blizzard/Warcraft III" and making three w3k files (roc, tft, user).
Don't use the 1.29 or 1.31 files on existing 1.27 installation. Those files are completely different archives (standalone).
Finally got it working! :grin:

I backed up the 1.29 files and I was able to install.

Edit: One question: If I want to return to 1.29 and 1.31, do I have to reset the registry every time? Thanks!

Last edited: