• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Warcraft IV - Lost Temple

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
I removed everything else due to disapointment in the review. But will keep updating the map as usual.
Contents

Warcraft IV - Lost Temple (Map)

Reviews
-the map description in the lobby is in Chinese. -almost all the spells of the custom units and heroes have nothing in their tooltips, not even the name of the ability. -random messages are shown of the allied forces but they don't seem to do what is...

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

What's the difference between this and the default Lost Temple ?

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

-the map description in the lobby is in Chinese.
-almost all the spells of the custom units and heroes have nothing in their tooltips, not even the name of the ability.
-random messages are shown of the allied forces but they don't seem to do what is said in the message. The name of each player is also shown incorrectly. It shows the color code | c004234| and not the name under that color.
-there are random annoying framedrops which I'm 100% sure that they are caused by the memory leaks you have in the triggers
-The map is literally the same as the basic Lost Temple with really minor modification.

Sorry but in this state, it cannot gain more than the simple status.

Level 5
Alright thanks for reviewing, I guess I just wanted to try it out here. Like I mentioend in description it's currently in Chinese and I don't have time to translate to English. For other issues you listed I'm pretty sure it's also due to language problem, I've tested it in both Netease and Blizzard platforms at least 50 times each 30min+.

And lastly I strongly disagree this is minor modification from orignial one, I'm a top 20 player of Netease and have been playing melee only for 15 years. I modified every unit based on my vision and dream of Warcraft 4. Those modifications are not just change of amount of damages etc, but completely revamp of how a skill/unit can do, something like what dota does but for RTS. For example:

• A unit that doesn't have a model that enemy can't select.
  • A unit has highest/lowest possible attack/move speed while maintaining balance.
  • A unit can attack while moving.

Anyways

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Being a top player in a genre doesn't mean that the content you create will also be the same way. There is always time to improve.
If you are not satisfied with the review, you can ask:
@deepstrasz or @Wazzz or @mafe for another review.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. War Golem's icon is green. Learn about icons and DISBTN versions:
  2. Button Manager v1.8.2
  3. Some abilities have weird descriptions (Kassan getting 0 damage) or none at all (Frenzy). Arthas doesn't have a hero type description. Learn about descriptions:
  4. Tooltip Tutorial
  5. There are superfluous and unneeded things like Formation.
  6. Retreat and Increase Attack have the same icons. So do other abilities from Formation share icons with some standard abilities.
  7. Carry doesn't specify what unit it needs.
  8. Timed units like the Hydromancer are a bad investment.
  9. Heroes have weirdly edited/replaced abilities.

Generally, it's a chaotic edit of the original melee, not quite creative, original and even balanced.

Level 5
Thanks for the review. I play this myself everyday and keep fixing stuff so thanks for pointing out those improvement suggestions. However, I don't quite understand the comment of "not quite creative, original", can you please maybe suggest some example of what is not creative and original?

For example, "There are superfluous and unneeded things like Formation.", one of the ability is retreat, so that player can simple click the ability/or use ability shortcut to go back to town during fight, instead of left click on unit and right click on minimap to order it to go back, which saves lots error prone controls for human.

Level 5
Sorry I really don't understand, I downloaded and tried lots of altered maps everywhere, they have new races, new models, but almost 99% skilks are about how damages are dealt differently. Is there any fun/creative ideas that I fail to notice? Will you please just mention something in your mind that count as creative?

For my map, yes it's an edit, just like Frozen Throne to original War3. And like I said in the description, you can always change hero back to normal version etc. When I play it I always use same strategy I use when playing normal melee. So can you suggest what is cluttering the gameplay plz?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Sorry I really don't understand, I downloaded and tried lots of altered maps everywhere, they have new races, new models, but almost 99% skilks are about how damages are dealt differently. Is there any fun/creative ideas that I fail to notice? Will you please just mention something in your mind that count as creative?
New game mechanics that go differently from the original or triggered things is what shows effort and creativity. New races too if they are made in a unique way.
The Frozen Throne is not a mere edit. It introduces new material that is different than Reign of Chaos.

Level 5
Thanks for explaining. Do you think the "Custom Race" "Weather" "Co-Op mode" things in my map would count then? Like I put in the description.
I believe Frozen Throne added new units and heroes but not new race, which I did same for this map also. I have 6+ new units for each race, new abilities for existing ones (to not break balance some require new base upgrade), and every hero has a different version. Each new unit is unique that I'm sure no such thing exist today, for example a unit can change attack type for untis around, a hero has no ability but high attributes and units around can't cast spell. Those are in the demos I added above.

Level 23
A pity that it requires Reforged, in the classic version it would attract a lot more people. Personally, I don't even have Reforged installed to test things anymore, it's a complete and utter mess, not even a million patches fix that mess...

But as an amateur custom content creator, it makes me angry because I know the amount of work and hours it can take to create something like this only to be played by very few.

Good luck with your project, regards.

Level 5
First of all, I don't know how many people have reforged. But at least pros do play reforged with latest patch 1.33 if I'm not wrong. Secondly, this is my dream and vision of warcraft 4 which needs to combine with reforged + quenching mod to provide myself best experience of "dreaming". Lastly, I don't have non-reforged installed but it doesn't mean this map won't work 100% on non-reforged.

I don't make this map for any profitability purpose, just because I only play war3 melee for my life, and this is the dream of me to play war4 that might not ever come. I'm just hoping some melee pros that one day may play it with me and that would be enough.

Level 5
Oh man, apologize for that. Wasn't aware that doing so is not allowed. It was normal behavior to even buy ratings in other places... This map doesn't get much appreciation anyways so really doesn't matter to me without the ratings lol.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Instead of doing that, you could work on your map to improve it. About your previous reply regarding creativity in other melees. They are not 99% about damage. Playing a melee map generally requires a solid strategy to beat your opponents, wise use of the units and heroes your race offers, attacking during key moments and so on. And when something doesnt offer much, you cant really call it an altered melee. Try to improve it. Giving up isn't an option!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Wasn't aware that doing so is not allowed.
It goes without saying that something like this should never be allowed as it's immoral. You don't need rules for this, you need to have good character.
However, it's nice of you to have confessed and apologized.

Amendment: Account Lending
- You may not lend your account to someone else. Especially not to circumvent a ban.

13. Multiple User Accounts
- Making more than one account is prohibited.

17. Common Sense
- If you are uncertain if something is against the rules it probably is. You are expected to think on your own and use common sense.

Archian has a secret multiaccount that he uses to boost the ratings of his resources. The staff found out about this and ban the multiaccount, as well as giving Archian a 6 point infraction for 6 months.

Last edited:
Level 5
Man I was trying to be polite here, I don't really understand your problems with me. I'm just trying to share something I enjoy and play myself everyday here. I completely don't understand the saying on "It goes without saying that something like this should never be allowed as it's immoral. You don't need rules for this, you need to have good character.", people doing that all the time on everywhere like amazon, and I just used one account to rate it because my current account keeps preventing me doing so.

About Alexen's comment of "Instead of doing that, you could work on your map to improve it. About your previous reply regarding creativity in other melees. They are not 99% about damage. Playing a melee map generally requires a solid strategy to beat your opponents, wise use of the units and heroes your race offers, attacking during key moments and so on. And when something doesnt offer much, you cant really call it an altered melee. Try to improve it. Giving up isn't an option!", I don't know if you guys ever play melee, ever looked into my map's details, and how you come up with the opinion. I didn't want to interfere with your review so didn't mention other people's thoughts on this, but here's what Mafe said:

"
Hello, so I took a quick.
First of all, I do not want to interfere with reviews from other reviewers. I also have nearly 0 experience with playing other altered melee, so I cannot really judge if it is true that (like the other reviewers suggest) the map is less creative than "normal" altered melee maps.

In my personal opinion, the map has a lot of fun ideas. I can see how this map presents one possible evolution from wc3 to wc4. For me it is no problem that much of it is based on standard wc3 assets, and there are a few really interesting abilites, like for example the base defense, the units which deal %-based damage.

But I also have a few problems with the map:
1. There are probably a lot of bugs, for example when nightelves upgrade to tier 4, the mine is no longer entangled so they cannot earn gold.
2. More units/abilities make the game more complicated, but they do not automatically make it more challenging or entertaining, for several reasons:
-Think about chess: The rules are very simple, but they create incredibly deep gameplay. A game with complicated rules can still make for shallow gameplay.
-For example, a race in a strategy game can have 25 different units to chose from, but it might not matter if in practice the gameplay works in such a way that only 4 units are used most of the time.
-In a game like wc3, for me the beauty (and sometimes controversy) comes from the fact that the races are different, and they are different because each race has a limited set of units/abilities/heroes... to chose from. Not every race can use their workers/buildings to creep. Races are forced to play around different "power spike" timings. Not every race can fastexpand (well, maybe only orcs not cannot) and so on. If you give more stuff to each race, the chances are high that (even if you didnt intend it) the races become more similar to play. Which imho would be less fun.
-Also, if there are many units/etc... the game becomes less accessible for newer players/viewers of pro games, since it takes longer to understand the basic mechanics of the game.
3. I agree with the other reviewers that the map appears chaotic. Even if the ideas are good, it is hard to see if you have to do not know what the abilities are doing.
"

Here's what RoboGoblin on Discord said:
"
Wow, you are a very talented developer. You have done a great and very cool job.
💪
but unfortunately this map is not suitable for our competition on several points at once. https://goodgame.ru/cups/map-contest-3457 ->> Requirements for MAPs: 1. there is a very very global balance change on the map. this means adding something small, for example 1-2 new items, or for example a shop where you can change resources to buy wood for gold (as is done in your main building). but not more. This visually should remain WCIII v1.32 melee. 4. The map must be new. This is visually almost a standard LT. We are looking for maps that are new in terms of landscape and design. New combinations of tiles, new combinations of decorations, and so on. I'm very impressed, I like a lot of the mechanics you made. can I ask you for help to create triggers in the future?

I also fixed all the tooltips, languages things you guys so concerned about but no veil. You don't recoginize the creativity in the map, so I give up, bye!

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

You clearly misunderstood everything of what I and Deepstrasz said. Sadly, your choice then.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Man I was trying to be polite here, I don't really understand your problems with me.
You are the one not being polite at all by now justifying wrongdoing by account of others doing the same which is illogical. We have shown you the rules that you should have read and respected and yet you still want to come out as not guilty.
How are we not polite? Would you have expected us to close our eyes to this?

It is rather irrelevant what people think about the map when we are discussing your behaviour and rule breaking on this site.

Level 5
I did apologize for that, and I didn't say you are not polite. I'm just saying it's not common sense to disallow multiaccounting ratings so how would I know. But you actually say it's due to "no good character", how is that polite?

I got pissed off just because of your questionable judgement on this melee map.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Any forum has rules, please take time to read them before actioning. As for this discussion, if you are not satisfied or anything, you can leave a message in Staff Contact. The map bundle isn't the suited place for such things.

Level 23
Man I was trying to be polite here, I don't really understand your problems with me. I'm just trying to share something I enjoy and play myself everyday here. I completely don't understand the saying on "It goes without saying that something like this should never be allowed as it's immoral. You don't need rules for this, you need to have good character.", people doing that all the time on everywhere like amazon, and I just used one account to rate it because my current account keeps preventing me doing so.

About Alexen's comment of "Instead of doing that, you could work on your map to improve it. About your previous reply regarding creativity in other melees. They are not 99% about damage. Playing a melee map generally requires a solid strategy to beat your opponents, wise use of the units and heroes your race offers, attacking during key moments and so on. And when something doesnt offer much, you cant really call it an altered melee. Try to improve it. Giving up isn't an option!", I don't know if you guys ever play melee, ever looked into my map's details, and how you come up with the opinion. I didn't want to interfere with your review so didn't mention other people's thoughts on this, but here's what Mafe said:

"
Hello, so I took a quick.
First of all, I do not want to interfere with reviews from other reviewers. I also have nearly 0 experience with playing other altered melee, so I cannot really judge if it is true that (like the other reviewers suggest) the map is less creative than "normal" altered melee maps.

In my personal opinion, the map has a lot of fun ideas. I can see how this map presents one possible evolution from wc3 to wc4. For me it is no problem that much of it is based on standard wc3 assets, and there are a few really interesting abilites, like for example the base defense, the units which deal %-based damage.

But I also have a few problems with the map:
1. There are probably a lot of bugs, for example when nightelves upgrade to tier 4, the mine is no longer entangled so they cannot earn gold.
2. More units/abilities make the game more complicated, but they do not automatically make it more challenging or entertaining, for several reasons:
-Think about chess: The rules are very simple, but they create incredibly deep gameplay. A game with complicated rules can still make for shallow gameplay.
-For example, a race in a strategy game can have 25 different units to chose from, but it might not matter if in practice the gameplay works in such a way that only 4 units are used most of the time.
-In a game like wc3, for me the beauty (and sometimes controversy) comes from the fact that the races are different, and they are different because each race has a limited set of units/abilities/heroes... to chose from. Not every race can use their workers/buildings to creep. Races are forced to play around different "power spike" timings. Not every race can fastexpand (well, maybe only orcs not cannot) and so on. If you give more stuff to each race, the chances are high that (even if you didnt intend it) the races become more similar to play. Which imho would be less fun.
-Also, if there are many units/etc... the game becomes less accessible for newer players/viewers of pro games, since it takes longer to understand the basic mechanics of the game.
3. I agree with the other reviewers that the map appears chaotic. Even if the ideas are good, it is hard to see if you have to do not know what the abilities are doing.
"

Here's what RoboGoblin on Discord said:
"
Wow, you are a very talented developer. You have done a great and very cool job.
💪
but unfortunately this map is not suitable for our competition on several points at once. https://goodgame.ru/cups/map-contest-3457 ->> Requirements for MAPs: 1. there is a very very global balance change on the map. this means adding something small, for example 1-2 new items, or for example a shop where you can change resources to buy wood for gold (as is done in your main building). but not more. This visually should remain WCIII v1.32 melee. 4. The map must be new. This is visually almost a standard LT. We are looking for maps that are new in terms of landscape and design. New combinations of tiles, new combinations of decorations, and so on. I'm very impressed, I like a lot of the mechanics you made. can I ask you for help to create triggers in the future?

I also fixed all the tooltips, languages things you guys so concerned about but no veil. You don't recoginize the creativity in the map, so I give up, bye!
Sorry, but your comment made me very funny. Advice from a random person who is not a "professional player" if that even exists today in a title that is dead competitively speaking.

Stop thinking that what you do is so good and that those who say that it is not as good as you think are wrong, probably neither of the two "sides" is 100% right, because there is always an important subjective factor of each one when it comes to valuing something, it is inevitable.

On the other hand, I assure you that none of the moderates have anything personal against you, first of all, they don't even know you so it is very unlikely that there is anything personal. Also, luckily in this forum, the reviews are not of the "it's bad." style, the moderators argue their opinions and give their reasons, many of them objective that should not be discussed, others perhaps, more subjective, about which You can get to debate, always from the cordiality and not getting angry about what someone said in a forum...

And finally, as I said I'm not a professional player, but as a custom content creator I do have some experience. What you intend to achieve with this map is incredibly complicated, even for a company, to make a deep modification of the races with new mechanics and for that to work, it is something that most RTS games with a company behind them have never achieved, imagine achieving that by being a single person. If you are not willing to accept advice and opinions and to continue working on your map to improve it little by little and you are going to continue insisting on how good it is as it is and on what I don't know who told you, then you are in a bad way.

I have been angry when I received certain opinions without arguments about my content, but I have never thought that everyone is wrong except me and that my content is perfect because some said it is perfect. One invests many hours in this without receiving anything in return and always hopes that the reception is good, but the reality is not always that and theirs is to accept it and try to improve. That or get angry and stop uploading content.

Anyway, regards and good luck, I hope you don't take it personally.

Level 5
Reyak you seem like a reasonable person.

I'm not saying in anyways this map is so good that everyone should play it. I don't even want to make this map if someone else or blizzard can make it happen it the first place. I'm just putting whatever I can think of into this map, from my experience of 20 years of melee play. Of course there are so many details to enhance, which I'm doing everyday as much as I can. I only hope that one day war4 can actually happen with this kind of effort. What are other melee players doing? Either busy making their money out of war3 or nothing. Netease is also making hundreds of thousands of money from non reforged RPG maps. Only few people are saving melee.

But the comments they made really pissed me off. Is there any specific example they listed instead of just saying this map is not creative or so? Has anyone actually looked at the hero skills or anything I created? Just to compare, this is an altered melee that got approved with many good feedback: Bronzebeard, Wildhammer, and Dark Iron Clans, if you look at the units and heros, most of them have ability to "deal X damage, stun for Y seconds", "deal damage in a row", etc. Now what did I create? Random race, a unit that is purely manual attack/defend, a army that can transform into same army enemy has, just to give examples. See the point? I introuce something that current war3 doesn't have. Of course there might be other maps that contain similar skills, maybe, but how can you keep saying this is not creative and original? I agree that this kind of effort is extremely complicated, but if no one makes it, it won't ever happen. That other alter melee map above is indeed well made, but ask yourself, do you ever imaging yourself play it over and over again with others? However people do play random hero melee.

I also kind of believe they don't have personal issue with me. But if your map is not reviewed for monthes even after you fixed things they suggested, and suddenly all of them jumped out of nowhere just because I used another account to rate my map, and keep mentioning comments on my map without details, how would you feel about it? I understand this map is in a vague area where melee players would have more thoughts but they don't care to visit, while non melee players would have totally different view. But melee is the essense of this game. I also looked at other similar maps like this: [MFO]Lost Temple II 0.81, I can clearly see the goodness of the ideas however that map was also marked as simple with comments not understanding melee plays. How am I going to trust these reviewers if good ideas and map makers are turned away all the time? Other people at least mentioned the goodness in my map like Mafe, but not other reviewers.

I'm also willing to take advises, like I fixed all the tooltips and other things they suggested. But what other advise are they suggesting? Maybe I'm blind but I don't see any, I don't know what they expect even. You want me to create a new race? No, this is melee, no one plays new races in melee, take Naga for example. You want me to add skills that "deal X damage, stun for Y seconds" with some fancy models? What's the point if this kind of thing already exist?

But I appreciate your advise, I have never ever joined any forum and posted this many comments and contents so maybe it's just me not used to the internet thing lol.

Last edited: