1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft III Reforged - MDX format

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Taylor_Mouse, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Taylor_Mouse

Taylor_Mouse

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hi all, trying an import script for 3D Studio Max for the new mdx models

Everything I have at the moment can be found here:

TaylorMouse/MaxScripts

I could use some help with the animation of the bones actually.

Here is what I got so far:

test-003.png

2. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Duuuuuude, you're back!!!!!

3. Taylor_Mouse

Taylor_Mouse

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  4. CentaurWarlord

CentaurWarlord

Resources:
    Resources:
    Taylour_Mouse!!! You rock dude!

If you or Retera or others in the community can crack this WC3 Reforged MDX to WC3TFT MDX conversion. That'd be OH so swell!

So I tried to re-rig a WC3R Centaur Outrunner model vertex-by-vertex to the animations of the WOW Centaur Warrior, which I've ported successfully already... the result was pretty bad still.

I'd love a WC3Reforged Export that RETAINS the animations and such.

So far, WET v0.4.2.3 can do Warcraft 3: Reforged MDX conversion but only to OBJ, which is halfway there. I was wondering how far you got with unpacking the new MDX file format? I'd love to help out, though I'm still quite newb at WC3 modding.

Here's my custom Centaur race mod by the way: Warcraft III: Frozen Throne Custom Race Centaur Horde Version 2.0 2019

I'm still struggling mostly with Animations... though finally I made some headway and now I can reliably craft Decay Flesh and Decay Bone animations, to "complete" and "polish" the look.

5. Taylor_Mouse

Taylor_Mouse

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My 3D Model Viewer can convert all new mdx models to Obj already, but only LOD 1, which means that the number of polys is way to high to use in the TFT (old) engine.
    Most mdx models are between 10 to 25 K polys while the old specs are 300 to 700 polys :D

Current status, the animations are 95% working. some animations are weird, now this can be becaus it is still beta and not final release.
    I still need to import loads of stuff, where I don't even have any clue yet what it is.

Visibility Track and Sequence Track (or note track) are imported correctly, also the bounding spheres are imported.

Like I said, loads of stuff to do yet

T.

6. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Taylor_Mouse how much harder do you think it'll be to model for Reforged?

7. Taylor_Mouse

Taylor_Mouse

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think it will be a lot more different that you are used to, I know that the models are done in Maya, Sculpt in Z-Brush, textures done and baked in Substance Painter, no more handpainted stuff as far as I know, the textures are PBR, meaning ambient occlusion, roughness and metallness are rendered by the GPU,

They way to do this, is like they did in DOTA2 and SC2 and Overwatch

So the ORM texure that is in Reforged is the R channel = Ambient Occlusion, G channel = Roughness, B channel = metalness and they added an Alpha channel that is used for the Team Color
    There will not be a diffuse map anymore but an Albedo map a Emission Map and a Normal map, but not like SC2 ( where the R channel is in the alpha channel and the G channel is inversed )

So we need to find a way to create these textures and apply them to the correct slot to create new models. I don't know Maya but maybe there is a PBR Material that can support this. Or probably Blizz made their own PBR material ( like they did in SC2 )

T.

8. Taylor_Mouse

Taylor_Mouse

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  9. Taylor_Mouse

Taylor_Mouse

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Question, how did you add sound in Max 2005 back in the day for the old mdx format?

T.

Never mind found it

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Maybe this post (click) helps with something.

11. Taylor_Mouse

Taylor_Mouse

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    EVTS tag (aka events) are now correctly imported confirm to the WC3 Documentation

@deepstrasz don't rly know what to do with that other than it is linking back to my post and the model viewer is for the old mdx format

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2019
  12. Taylor_Mouse

Taylor_Mouse

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

Converted the chaos peon to SC2 just to see it it works :D

13. Taylor_Mouse

Taylor_Mouse

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Got the import of all of the tags for the battrol
    test-004.png

Still need to do lights (LITE) particle emitters ( PREM & PRE2 ) ribbons (RIBB) texture animation ( TXAN ) global sequences (GLBS ) and CORN ( whatever that is )

T.

14. CentaurWarlord

CentaurWarlord

Resources:
    Resources:
    Way to go, Taylor_Mouse! :D

Oh snap, I learned something new. Yeah, this is why it takes AGES to load up the MDX900 Reforged models in MdlVis or MAGOS.

Keep it up!

Ooooh, looks like you really nailed that Chaos Peon, but the Troll Batrider as a Flying unit, must be quite more difficult, much more animation involved and extra adjacencies.

15. Taylor_Mouse

Taylor_Mouse

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Looks like CORN is linking to an external file, in the mdx file it contains animations ( like scale, transform, rotation, visibility and alpha ) all that I can read, but I'm not sure how to read the external pkfx file, anyone has an idea?

(Warcraft3_Reforged_CORN
    id:1
    name:"GeneralAuraTarget"
    filename:"Abilities/Spells/Other/GeneralAuraTarget/GeneralAuraTarget.pkfx"
    Properties:#("Always=on", "Death=off", "Decay=off")
    flags:4096
    KPPA:undefined
    KPPV:#((Warcraft3_Reforged_KG time:0 Point:1.0 inTan:undefined outTan:undefined LineType:undefined), (Warcraft3_Reforged_KG time:65 Point:1.0 inTan:undefined outTan:undefined LineType:undefined), ...
    KGSC:#((Warcraft3_Reforged_KG time:0 Point:[1,1,1] inTan:undefined outTan:undefined LineType:undefined), (Warcraft3_Reforged_KG time:65 Point:[1,1,1] inTan:undefined outTan:undefined LineType:undefined), ...
    KGTR:undefined
    KGRT:undefined
    )

16. Taylor_Mouse

Taylor_Mouse

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Currently I still need to import the Particle Emitters, ( 1 & 2 since both are found in the new models )
    For the Ribbon Emitter, Events and Attachment points I decided to create my own plugin ( challenging, since I never did this before )
    I succeeded in creating the ribbon emitter plugin and importing it into max

Is working pretty neat... soon an update

T.

17. Taylor_Mouse

Taylor_Mouse

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added custom ribbon plugin to support the features for Reforged and a custom Warcraft 3 Reforged Standard material to support the ORM map

T

18. 8Yaron8

8Yaron8

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Taylor_Mouse, Cool! You are awesome! But I wanted to ask how to correctly import models into 3ds max as well as their animations. When I try to use a script to import a model, I have this error. I read a lot of other forums and they mention that need to model viewer to download a "some" file that allows you to open models from Reforge, but I don’t know where to look for them. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe I didn’t install the scripts correctly and run them incorrectly, etc.. Can you then make tutorial and a video demonstration on installing scripts and importing models and animations?[​IMG]

19. Taylor_Mouse

Taylor_Mouse

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hey guys, the importer is finished, you can download it from my Game Dev Blog, here I explain how to install and use it:
    Taylor Mouses Game Dev Blog

or from SC2 Mapster:
    https://www.sc2mapster.com/projects/taylor-mouses-stuff/files/2824842

[​IMG]

You need ofcourse the CascViewer to extract all the models from the Blizzard Game (Casc Storages - Main page)

I know there are still bugs, but as long as the game is not released, I won't be doing any major changes

As I said on my blog, next up is the export functionality

Enjoy

T.

20. 8Yaron8

8Yaron8

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yet it worked! Just for some reason, textures did not load, but this is ok, I can load the textures into the model myself, and the model is on the right side and not in front.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019