• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

3D Studio Max - Tools for Warcraft III (mdx version 800)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently saw the Spartan warrior model, which looked amazing btw !
I wanted to import this in 3D Studio Max, to find that there is nothing really up to date.
So I decided to take my reforged importer and see what I could change to make this happen, and after a couple of days, this is what came out of it:
wcIIIwip.png

it is still work in progres, but the spartan imports perfectly with every object available (except GEOA )

You can find the scripts and guideline here: Taylor Mouse's maxscripts (github)

Have fun!

Export is done, well, for the basic parts anyways, just tested the first export, most things look ok, however it crashes when I want to animate ( using the mdx viewer to test )
And when i import it again with my script, everything imports correctly... except the vertex weights... that is gonna be a pain

YES IT WORKS!!

First test, importing the awesome Spartan and then exporting it again results in a working mdx file, woooooooooooot so happy!!

To late and tired to test other models at the moment but here is a list what is supported:

Animation sequences (SEQS)
Global Sequences (GLBS)
Materials (MTLS: composite material for teamcolor, standard materials and teamglow for hero stuff )
Textures (TEXS)
Geosets (GEOS)
Geoset Visibility animation (GEOA)
Bones, Helpers and their animations ( BONE & HELP )
Attachments (ATCH)
Pivotpoints (PIVT)
Events (EVTS)
Collision objects (CLID)

next loads of testing on loads of models :)

Ok, so to be able to test my exporter on a whole new model I started creating a low poly model, based on WoW Anduin in disguise, model block out so far:
1626885194213.png

1200 polys ( original model has about 12k polys, a bit too much just to port it )
unwrap and texture next, to make my life a bit iz, I will be using the orinal from WoW

Been testing out some stuff:
FBX:
  • Although there are no issues during export ( no errors )
  • The UV mappings are flipped horizontally, even if they seem correct in MAX
  • The animation does not seem to animate correctly
  • Next step: atm not my priority, I did this for someone that pointed this out to me

mdx:
  • All original mdx files seem to import correctly ( with of course the objects supported, so no PREM or PRE2 yet )
  • Although the visibility look correct in MAX ( like for example gutz ) the visibility is not correctly exported -> testing this with Abomination.mdx
  • Next step: as I thought this would be working, this will be my first priority

Ok solved the GEOA stuff
However, something I haven't covered yet, the "facing the camera" user property, I ran into this when I was testing the Abomination model

edit: mmmm.... I think I will need to implement the User Property window for that :'(

Last edited:
Ok, so to be able to test my exporter on a whole new model I started creating a low poly model, based on WoW Anduin in disguise, model block out so far:
View attachment 383958

1200 polys ( original model has about 12k polys, a bit too much just to port it )
unwrap and texture next, to make my life a bit iz, I will be using the orinal from WoW
Personally I'm wondering if it's still a bit too high poly for SD Warcraft 3, things like the cowl, belt and hood could probably be simplified further and use textures to create some of the details.

Personally I'm wondering if it's still a bit too high poly for SD Warcraft 3, things like the cowl, belt and hood could probably be simplified further and use textures to create some of the details.
not really to worried about this, since it will only serve as a test model, not actually releasing it, or maybe as is...

The install instructions are wrong, there's no GriffonStudios_Helper.ms file, just GriffonStudios_Helpers.ms and GriffonStudios_Warcraft_III_Helpers.ms, please write here how to install it correctly.
Where is it required to have this file?

I do need to clean up my stuff, however, currently I'm focussing on the WC3 Tools ( not reforged or other )

Updated the "how to install" by the looks of it, it was required.

But I'm not gonna update/write an How to install in different locations, please note that this is still under heavy construction
I 'll try to keep my github page up to date as much as the documentation

Thanks for understanding
T.

ok, some big bobo in my export script:
1. it does not support IK Solvers :'( this is gonna be a pain to fix
2. exporting it to FBX ( which kinda solves the problem for me :p ) exports it correctly (woooot )
3. script now also imports the helpers animation correctly and lights, and builds them

anduin_stand_anim_ok.gif

glbs + texture animation can now be exported
added support to validate the scene first, since converting a primitive to a editable mesh without applying additional uv unwrap modifiers screws up the export.

it also has fast export, meaning, you only need an editable mesh with the correct Warcraft III material assigned to it to export, everything else is added during export and cleaned up at the end, even a Stand animation is added if there are no animations available!

This allows for quick conversions of non animated dooadds

I'll be testing this thorougly this weekend.

Ok this IK Solver bs is breaking my head, after investigating NeoDex's original code, no luck, however if I export the model to FBX and reimport it, I can get rid of the IK Solver and my animation controls and then it animates correctly,

However the Export Import of FBX is a not optimized, FBX exports every single frame as being animated, so the track bar is filled with animations :/

ANyway, enough for today, here is the result so far, imho it looks pretty ok, tested in Magos's model viewer

anduin_teamcolor_anim.gif

Oh, I would suggest if you don't know how to program, until I confirm everything works great, not to install stuff. Cuz sometimes I just push stuff with changes that I have't tested yet, espicially when it is late at night :D

There is just a comma missing..

But that error should be fixed now though

T

Ok today I made my life, and I guess your lives a little easier, and added a tools window
1628114688124.png

on each of the buttons, checkboxes, spinners,... there is a tooltip

Most of the things speak for themselves, except probably the animation tools, those I will explain in detail, as they are used when using IK's
The ONLY way I found to do this is to export your model to FBX and reimport it again. This generates for each frame a key,
However, when you click the Gather anim keys before you export, it retains the existing keyframes, so after you imported the FBX again, you can reduce the amount of keys back to its original state.
The interval can be used if higher then zero, I found that an interval of 5 work perfectly

Create team color does not work yet ( i added this cuz I always forget how it is set up :p )

The window can be opened running the Tools_Dialog.ms script

T.

And I was able to export it... with a dummy texture, all animations are retained, however, as you know (or not ) the weights of vertices on bones are usually 2 bones per vertex weighing it to 50% on each bone , here some pieces have 6 bones :/
Anyawys... probably going to need Reforged stuff to be able to export this
My Reforged exporter doesn't work very well though, however, it does have a build in algorithm that limits the bones to a max of 4 and recalculates the weights correctly...
Freezing this at the moment though

On another note
Here is my progress on GLBS or Global Sequence Animations:
1628704704737.png

You will be able to define multiple GLBS's ( group Id's ) where you link bones, helpers and materials, where the global animation can be limited to the material alpha, uv animation, postion, ... ( well you get the point )

The information is kept in a Max Plugin ( Behavior Object ) that saves in max
Still WIP but I think I'm getting there

It looks like a simplified version of the SC2 Behavior Editor

Hope to get this done soon, I want to start the export of the Ribbon emitters ;)

T.

Some more tests:
1629228979020.png

a team colored high elven bow
and
1629228882200.png

A team colored, with glowing orbs ( fully billboarding ) mogu thunde bow converted from WoW

at the moment no particle support yet

Attachments

• weapon_bow_1h_sunwell.zip
    334.2 KB · Views: 26
  • weapon_mogu_thunder_bow.zip
    604.8 KB · Views: 22
Fixed the import of the GEOA (or visibility track ) Blizzard resetted the visibility back to its original value at the start of every sequence, and every change they made, the put in the GEOA, I did the same and it looks a lot better now :D

I have noticed that there are a LOT of possible global sequence id possibilities ( 52 if I am correct, seeing the doc on MDX - wowdev )

For the momen the biggest challenge is the shade.mdx as it has most of the weird stuff that I need to cover still

Ok, since I can't take the credit of the Anduin model ;)
I started my own base human model
This model will be fully available, ZBrush sculpt and everything, psd included, low poly model, animated and rigged in FBX and MAX (2016) free to use

Here is the first few teaser screenies as well as a first mdx export test:

wip001.png

wip001-solid.png

wip002.png

wip003.png

wip004.png

Tools:
Base model - Max
Sculpt - ZBrush
Bakes - Substance Painter
Final texture - Photoshop

Polys: 906
Vertices: 457

First export test using my tool :p

1629734653739.png

Attachments

• TM_BASE_MODEL.zip
    84.6 KB · Views: 24
back in 2009 ( yes, that long ago ;) ) I created this fellow:
Nazgul - WIP - Screen02.png

So I'm trying to redo this guy with the knowledge I gained the last 10 years looking to the methods nowadays, still aiming to use it with my mdx 800 exporter tho

so here is a wip for the sword: ZBrush sculpt

ss_01.jpg

this is how it looks in substance painter using pbr materials, this is also probably how it will look in reforged
and I used it to bake the different maps
sword_wip_pbr.png

and this is how it looks in wc3 mdx 800 ( just one tga texture)

1632651638086.png

new updates soon(ish)

T.

Level 3
Hi, brother, Can you take a look at this problem? thank you!(PS: 3dsmax2022)
UXFKO4Q3${6JA0$BF()~P5A.png

Attachments

• yuren-fbx.max
    7.3 MB · Views: 14
  • MN103_B1.png
    MN103_B1.png
    1 MB · Views: 25
Status
Not open for further replies.