• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Warcraft III: Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCCLogo.jpg

Upcoming update to Warcraft III: All In One.

Progress: 17% done

Reign of Chaos: 17/47 done (~36%)
  • Prologue: finished
  • Human: finished
  • Undead: 0/10 (0%)

Features

Installation

Changelog

Credits

• Combines the campaigns of Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne into one game
  • All five maps of the Reign of Chaos Prologue campaign are included
    • Tutorial has been removed from missions 1-2
    • Includes the original dialogue audio from the Reign of Chaos demo in missions 3-5
  • New characters according to Warcraft lore (more details below)
    • Some are Revivable Units, meaning they will dissipate and be revivable at the altar
  • New, more unique models where appropriate (more details below)
  • Main menu: new 3D background and additional music (from RoC Beta)
  • World Editor: all changes and additions have been integrated

RoC Campaigns:
  • Object Data: imported/merged RoC Unit, Ability and Upgrade Data
  • Victory Scorescreen: changed to RoC version
  • Custom Loading Screen for each subcampaign
  • Prologue campaign (Exodus of the Horde):
    • Mission 1-2: Removed tutorial
    • Mission 3-5:
      • Added from TFT custom campaign
      • Object Data: imported/merged campaign file Unit and Item Data
      • Dialogue audio: restored from WC3 demo campaign
      • New hero model: Sen'Jin
      • Modified models: Sea Witch, Murloc Sorcerer
      • New scorescreen player icon: Underworld Minions
    • Mission 5: New models: Altar of the Deep, Bone Chipper, Murloc Shrine, Murloc Mound (Shrine & Mound replace Huts)
  • Human campaign (The Scourge of Lordaeron):
  • Undead campaign (Path of the Damned):
    • Mission 3-5:
      • New models: Town Hall/Keep/Castle, Altar of the Sun (replaces Altar of Kings), Lumber Mill, Blacksmith
      • New scorescreen player icon: Elven Ranger Corps

Main menu:
  • New 3D background (from RoC Beta)
  • New logo
  • Added RoC Beta and RoC menu music
  • RoC Orc campaign ambient sound
  • RoC Menu sprites (no snow)

World Editor:
  • Added Resources:
    • UI:
      • TFT and WCC main menu 3D backgrounds in Custom Campaign menu
      • RoC subcampaign Loading Screens
      • Prologue 03-05 Loading Screens
    • Sound:
      • Main menu 3D background sounds (cannon & drawbridge)
      • Beta main menu music
      • Prologue 03-05 Dialogue sounds
    • Units:
      • Sen'Jin
      • Captain Falric
      • Captain Marwyn
      • Captain Valonforth
      • Baelgun
      • Sea Witch
      • Murloc Sorcerer
    • Buildings:
      • Altar of the Deep
      • Bone Chipper
      • Murloc Shrine
      • Murloc Mound
      • Elven Town Hall/Keep/Castle
      • Altar of the Sun
      • Elven Lumber Mill
      • Elven Blacksmith
    • Extra Icons:
      • Murloc scorescreen player icon
      • High Elf scorescreen player icon
  • Triggers:
    • Added "Player - Revivable Units" triggers (4 triggers)
    • Changed all "Tutorial" strings to "Prologue"
    • Added Prologue 03-05 to "Game - Enable/Disable Mission" trigger list

Internal:
  • Blizzard.j:
    • Changed campaign functions & constants
    • Added "revivable unit" functionality for units like Captain Falric
  • Added Animation Lookups/Sounds:
    • AGCC: GlueScreenCannon
    • AGCD: GlueScreenDrawBridge

The main campaign screen will include:
Custom campaigns are planned to be included once this is finished.

• Extract to the Warcraft III folder (default: C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\).
  • No changes are made to your installation of WC3. The included campaign maps are edited versions of the official maps, but will not replace them.
  • If you wish, you can move the executable; it can be run from anywhere.

Changes/Additions (7):
  • Captain Falric and Captain Valonforth: new models
  • H03-09: Captain Marwyn added (revivable unit)
  • H07-08: Captain Falric and Baelgun added (Baelgun not playable in H08)
  • H08: Added extra enemies to balance out Falric and Marwyn
  • H07&09: Captain Valonforth added (not playable in H7, revivable/playable in H09)
  • Captain Falric and Baelgun: balance changes
  • Elven Town Hall/Keep/Castle, Altar of the Sun, Lumber Mill, Blacksmith and SSP icon added to WE
Fixes (6):
  • H02: Peasants now harvest gold after the intro cinematic ends
  • H04: Purple Lich (Rage Winterchill) now properly follows AI commands
  • H05 End cinematic:
    • Corpses and Undead units no longer receive Devotion Aura buff
    • Doubled the amount of Queue Attack Animation triggers to make units less idle during the battle
  • H09: Intro Cinematic: waygate teleport is no longer weird
  • Main Menu: 3D Background now plays cannon and drawbridge sound
Updates (1):
  • Revivable Units 1.3.1 (fixes a bug that caused dissipating units to attack enemies instead of playing the dissipate animation)

Fixes (1):
  • Fixed errors in Blizzard.j

Fixes (2):
  • P03: Alliance base now sends attack waves to player as intended
  • World Editor: set "version" for all custom trigger and unit data to 1 (TFT), so maps will be w3x when using them
    • Also eliminates the need for Custom_V0 & Melee_V0 files
Updates (3):
  • All edited game files to 1.27 versions
  • Revivable Units 1.3
  • Improved Baelgun's dissipate animation
Miscellaneous:
  • Maps no longer optimized: causes random bugs which frankly take a lot of time to test for and fix

Maps/Campaigns implemented (17/2):
  • RoC: Prologue (5)
  • RoC: Human (12)
Fixes (7):
  • P04: Corrected unit name: Gnoll Gold Miser -> Gnoll Gold Miner
  • P05: Cinematics:
    • Sen'Jin's corpse no longer decays
    • Sen'Jin dummy is now hidden properly
    • Sen'Jin's shadow no longer follows the rest of the units
  • H02i: Medivh no longer returns shortly after flying away from the scene
  • H05-06: Jaina's hero button no longer shows up right before/after the intro/end cinematics
  • H05i: Medivh no longer returns shortly after flying away from the scene

Blizzard Entertainment, The Hive Workshop, OutsiderXE, Strategy Master, Warcraft 3 Beta Models and More, WC3Campaigns, Wowpedia, WoWWiki

Credits

Tools

2D Art:

3D Art:

World Editor:

MPQs:

Miscellaneous:

Main Menu

MainMenu.jpg

RoC.jpg

PTitle.jpg

New Models

Loading Screen

Unexpected tab 3

Misc Screenshots

Sen'Jin

Underworld Minions

Leader of the Darkspear tribe, helps Thrall in the fight against the Kul'Tiras Marines
and the Underworld Minions (missions 3-4).
models_14984_screenshot.jpg

SSP-murloc.jpg

The Underworld Minions, led by a ghostly Sea Witch, attack Thrall and Sen'Jin's
Darkspear trolls, as well as the Kul'Tiras Marines (missions 3-5).

Altar of the Deep

Murloc Shrine

Murloc Mound

Bone Chipper

Sea Witch

Murloc Sorcerer

AltarDeep.jpg

Credits

Model & Icon: Ujimasa Hojo (Bamboo Altar)

replaces Murloc Hut
MMound.jpg

Credits

Model & Icon: Ujimasa Hojo (Bamboo Mound)

added hero glow and dissipate
SeaWitch.jpg

added hero glow and dissipate, replaced staff and shield
MSorcerer.jpg

LoadingPrologue.jpg

[/tab]

All five missions included

Tutorial: removed

EotHMenu.jpg

Tut1.jpg

HTitle.jpg

New Characters

Troll Axethrower

Loading Screen

Captain Falric

Captain Marwyn

Captain Valonforth

Baelgun

Dargal

Rage Winterchill

Accompanies Arthas throughout the campaign starting from Brill (missions 3-9).
Falric.jpg

Accompanies Arthas throughout the campaign starting from Brill (missions 3-9).
Marwyn.jpg

Muradin's second in command in Northrend (missions 7-9).
Baelgun.jpg

Accompanies Arthas in Lordaeron from Brill to Hearthglen (missions 3-5), or until
he dies.
Dargal.jpg

Attacks Arthas in Hearthglen (mission 5).
Winterchill.jpg

Replaces the Troll Headhunter (mission 2).
Axethrower.jpg

LoadingHuman.jpg

UTitle.jpg

Not yet released.

New Models

Loading Screen

Elven Ranger Corps

SSP-HighElf.jpg

The High Elves attempt to defend the forested borderlands of Quel'Thalas against
Arthas' onslaught of the undead (missions 3-5).

Town Hall/Keep/Castle

Altar of the Sun

Lumber Mill

Blacksmith

HETownHall.jpg

Credits

Model & Icons: Ujimasa Hojo (Elven Town Hall)

replaces Altar of Kings
HEAltar.jpg

Credits

Model & Icon: Ujimasa Hojo (Elven Altar)

HELumberMill.jpg

Credits

Model & Icon: Ujimasa Hojo (Elven Lumber Mill)

HEBlackSmith.jpg

Credits

Model & Icon: Ujimasa Hojo (Elven Blacksmith)

LoadingUndead.jpg

OTitle.jpg

Not yet released.

NTitle.jpg

Not yet released.

(v0.2.2, 14.98 MB)
World Editor will be provided on request :)

I would love to get some feedback, bug reports, etc.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Updated to v0.2.1 if anyone cares :D
Fixes (2):
  • P03: Alliance base now sends attack waves to player as intended
  • World Editor: set "version" for all custom trigger and unit data to 1 (TFT), so maps will be w3x when using them
    • Also eliminates the need for Custom_V0 & Melee_V0 files
Updates (1):
  • All edited game files to 1.27 versions
  • Revivable Units 1.3
  • Improved Baelgun's dissipate animation
Miscellaneous:
  • Maps no longer optimized: causes random bugs which frankly take a lot of time to test for and fix

Finally ready now to continue on the Undead campaign, so some screenshots and updates should start appearing soon ;)

Edit: Blizzard.j contained errors. Fixed now. No one had downloaded yet, so no harm done :p

Last edited:
Hello loktar,

I do. downloading...
Alright, cool! :D Let me know if you encounter any bugs or have any suggestions :)

Looks pretty cool. Why don't you replace all units with HQ models instead? :p
There's already WC3: Reborn which aims to do just that. I would like to make WC3: Complete compatible with it though, when both are released, although HD versions will need to be made for the new models then :p

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Alright, cool! :D Let me know if you encounter any bugs or have any suggestions :)

Will do.

Oh definitely, me too :D would be beyond my capabilities to do it on my own though :p I just hope Reborn succeeds :D Then the couple of extra models wouldn't be too much of a stretch :p

Btw, I'm seeing if I can implement Thassarian and Koltira in Undead 4 & 5.
Will post an update when I figure something out :p

Do you know of oger-lord's Polygon Enhancer ?

...which reminds me of that other project for Quake, btw.
(temporarily disable protective personal hostlist if screenshots do not appear)

=> improved vanilla welcome, but only as an optional addon. People have the right to choose.

Thank you! Did not know of it, looks interesting. However, I'm not going to be doing any work towards that. If oger-lord finishes a complete pack, it would be quite cool to release a version of WCC that includes those assets though.
Those animated trees and improved textures look pretty cool too. I'm definitely going to keep these things in mind and see what I can do with it once I'm finished editing the campaigns.

And yeah, I'd only want to change things that are objectively an improvement, I definitely don't want to change the style, only improve the graphics if possible.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Thank you! Did not know of it, looks interesting. However, I'm not going to be doing any work towards that. If oger-lord finishes a complete pack, it would be quite cool to release a version of WCC that includes those assets though.
Those animated trees and improved textures look pretty cool too. I'm definitely going to keep these things in mind and see what I can do with it once I'm finished editing the campaigns.

And yeah, I'd only want to change things that are objectively an improvement, I definitely don't want to change the style, only improve the graphics if possible.

Too bad the Warcraft 3 HQ thread is closed.

I personally love oger-lord's animated trees. They are a permanent part of my modded WC3.

With Blizzard's campaign files, animated trees on the extreme ends of the map keep falling out of the gameworld. Should you want to add compatibility for animated trees 0.2 as an optional addon, then you probably would want to remove a few trees at the extreme ends of the maps, for flawless compatibility.

Now someday I should tackle with that 3D opening beta screen (sitting unmodified on my HDD since July 2015, how time flies...)

I am really not sure why are you using those models for captains? They have awful animations..
Hmm, I agree the animations are a bit stiff, but the models themselves are pretty awesome IMO. They're also the only Falric and Valonforth models around :p

Too bad the Warcraft 3 HQ thread is closed.

I personally love oger-lord's animated trees. They are a permanent part of my modded WC3.

With Blizzard's campaign files, animated trees on the extreme ends of the map keep falling out of the gameworld. Should you want to add compatibility for animated trees 0.2 as an optional addon, then you probably would want to remove a few trees at the extreme ends of the maps, for flawless compatibility.

Now someday I should tackle with that 3D opening beta screen (sitting unmodified on my HDD since July 2015, how time flies...)
Yeah it's too bad, he was doing some interesting things.
I'll definitely look into those trees at some point. Although they might still cause problems then if you were to play a melee map I guess?

I'd say go for it with the 3D screen :p It's quite easy to do. The improved version used in this mod is available in the models section on the hive btw.

I really find this interesting and would love to see improved and accurate version of these campaigns. I wish you luck.
Can't wait to see the High Elves. Not on their human copy-pasted techtree.
Thanks!
The High Elves just have those new models in the screenshots atm though (3 reskins basically and 1 new model), so the tech tree basically stays the way it was in the campaigns

This sounds good, but I want to ask some questions:
- Does the Custom Game works?
- Are those arbitrary limits on the World Editor removed? (doodad limits, unit limits, etc.)

I would give it a try.
- Yeah, custom games work. But atm it's just the same as a normal TFT custom game unless you play a custom map made with the mod WE that includes stuff from the mod. It's my intention to add in custom races eventually though, like Naga and Blood Elves. I'd also like to add an option to choose between WC1, WC2 and maybe RoC game-modes. But it could take a while before I get to that.
- The WE is just the standard WE with new stuff added in atm, so no limits removed. I don't know how I could change that, but I'd be interested in doing it eventually.
Alternatively, it's also possible to load the MPQ into JNGP (which is what I do when editing the campaigns), so I could release the MPQ file and a small guide on how to load it with JNGP (it's quite easy to do) if you want.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Yeah it's too bad, he was doing some interesting things.
I'll definitely look into those trees at some point. Although they might still cause problems then if you were to play a melee map I guess?

I'd say go for it with the 3D screen :p It's quite easy to do. The improved version used in this mod is available in the models section on the hive btw.

Will doublecheck melee (I am not much of a melee player), but I would say yes. However, that "forever falling tree" glitch should not be game-breaking, nor distracting. Again, removing the offending trees from the maps will solve the issue and /or ensure compatibility.

I wanted to tweak 3D beta screen in somewhat 16:9 ratio anyway, but I had no real reason to try to do it until now. Too bad War3 Model Editor 1.07 is buggy (distorts some moving elements, very weird). There are two "templates" for 3D campaign screen. Only one is easy to tweak (at least for me given my near-to-zero skills). But I will do my best.

Should start beta testing tomorrow.

I think you should be able to achieve that by simply adjusting the field of view in the camera settings. It's 0.872666 for the beta 3D screen (probably for all the other ones too), but I don't know what value would give better results on widescreen.

Think I might use this death knight as Thassarian, with some edits it should fit well.
on the right:
models_14959_screenshot.jpg

although... maybe the one on the left would be better, I'd just have to make the ears a bit shorter :p

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I think you should be able to achieve that by simply adjusting the field of view in the camera settings. It's 0.872666 for the beta 3D screen (probably for all the other ones too), but I don't know what value would give better results on widescreen.

Thanks for the ratio value.

See my values in my 16:9 3D campaign screens tutorial.

Better values are a matter of personal taste, and of understanding the global scenery. A good example is the Alliance campaign from TFT (cf pics attached).

Theoretically, I should have used x : 0.8, like in the Night Elf campaign, since they both use the same "easy" template. But in that case, the resulting image did not feel "right" to me, according to my reference unmodified 800x600 screenshot.

Also, I could have decided to tweak movement value, in order to remove the chasm seen on the right of the screen. But that would have been a mistake. Because we have to understand here that the land seen below is also one of those floating platforms seen everywhere (even the Blood Elf is standing on such a platform). Changing that would have ruined the intended effect.

This leads me to two interesting considerations towards (re-)creation of material.

First, it demonstrates that a few artistic liberties may be used. This is why I chose to share only *numbers* in my tutorial. I do not want to force people to accept my views. Everybody can tweak a 3D campaign screen, until it feels "right" to him.

Second, I have the feeling that at some point during game development, Blizzard might have envisioned 3D intro / campaign screen to be 16:9. The global scenery really fits imho. In which case, they went to 4:3 values because at the time, widescreen monitors were pretty scarce, and they decided to finish the game with 4:3 ratio in mind and stick to it. Also at that time, Blizzard had 800x600 in mind (Diablo II is 800x600).

If this uneducated theory proved to be true, then my silly little tweaking project *might* be considered to be a restoration project. That is, finding the values that *might* have been used somewhere during development by Blizzard, should the game have been envisioned as 16:9 somewhere during development phase in the first place.

Pics are attached for the Alliance TFT campaign, using my poor values. If there is enough interest, I might post an archive of all my screenshots in 1st tutorial thread. Though not sure anyone would care. Reception seemed kind of lukewarm from respected legendary member of the Hive community. And guess what ? He is totally right. This is not satisfying from a programer's point of vue. Alas, I can only tweak, I cannot code.

Still not started testing your mod ; sucked into posting, answering to and guiding others. I am not forgetting you, though.

Attachments

• TFT_alliance.jpg
    TFT_alliance.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 608
  • TFT_alliance_1280x768.jpg
    TFT_alliance_1280x768.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 887
Last edited:
That looks pretty awesome. I hope proper widescreen support is introduced in a patch at some point. I probably won't be using those in the mod, at ~2MB per file it would bloat the filesize too much. Although it would be nice as part of an HQ version eventually.

And thanks, I look forward to your feedback :)
I've found a few bugs after testing the maps properly for the first time (finally), in the process of fixing. Also reconsidering how I implement the Captains in the human campaign. Might add Marwyn and use Falric and Valonforth more. Maybe Baelgun too. But I have to figure something out so I don't upset gameplay/balance too much.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
That looks pretty awesome. I hope proper widescreen support is introduced in a patch at some point. I probably won't be using those in the mod, at ~2MB per file it would bloat the filesize too much. Although it would be nice as part of an HQ version eventually.

And thanks, I look forward to your feedback :)
I've found a few bugs after testing the maps properly for the first time (finally), in the process of fixing. Also reconsidering how I implement the Captains in the human campaign. Might add Marwyn and use Falric and Valonforth more. Maybe Baelgun too. But I have to figure something out so I don't upset gameplay/balance too much.

Thanks, but all the credit goes to Blizzard, not to me.

It is my educated guess that Blizzard will add proper widescreen support, and more.

Blizzard hired a new team dedicated to their classic games. Blizzard also has a long history of improving/adjusting gameplay, based on how games are played over time. And they *do* care about their customers. Remember patch 1.12 for StarCraft, adding among *many* things rally points, and acknowledging the Korean SC community ? WC3 had rally points from the very start ; Blizzard made SC in conformance with that WC3 feature. Also, what a patch ; it was a milestone imho. I fully expect the same kind of milestone for WC3. I also bet we will have (mostly) *proper* mod support. And to conclude, remember it is also the time of official classic HD remakes (see Monkey Island for example) ; Blizzard will most surely follow that trend. I have faith, Blizzard will make the right decisions.

No need to bloat your distro, even if the 3D campaign files are <5 Mo when 7z-compressed. We all have the (relative) magic of allowlocalfiles for overrides to suit some of our needs.

Things should be highly modular imho. This is what I appreciate with, say, Quake 1 stuff from QuakeOne.

Please see attachment for preliminary bug report. My goal here is to experiment communication / procedures between us. In the testing sheet included, I give precise configuration details, naming conventions ; each entry is numbered and has appropriate screenshot for easy reference. CTD logs are included and numbered too, according to testing sheet entries. Yep, I managed to crash 1.27a with 2 maps. Though, I must retest without Bird's Eye View (BEV), to be sure it is not causing specific issues (ex : jerky cinematics). So once again, please consider this bug report as being a test.

Do you have fixed periodic release schedule ?

If you see how I can improve my feedback to make your work easier, please tell me.

Btw, you already know how to optimize images, do you ? Just testing RIOT optimization for jpg, using my screenshots as a testbed :
- TGA folder : 32,9 Mo (WC3 original screenshots)
- PNG : 3.46 Mo (256 colors, PNGOUT)
- JPG : 1.93 Mo (24 bit)
- JPG : 1.12 Mo (24 bit, RIOT - target : 65 Ko - files included in my archive)

Back in ye olde days, we had to optimize everything (images, code...). Old habits die hard with some people :)

Attachments

• WC3 Complete 0.21b testing- EXPERIMENTAL BUGREPORT_v2.7z
    1.1 MB · Views: 318
There are some things I dislike and disapprove:

Some custom models don't match in quality and style with the rest. Heroes for example in Warcraft 3 had higher quality models while units had lower quality models.
Loading screens look terrible, the old ones looked far more better.

The old alpha main menu doesn't fit in terms to how original menu looked like, it doesn't have any theme related to the plot of the story. It's just a random castle, while RoC main menu had a representative theme around it (demons returning, death)

Do you have fixed periodic release schedule ?

If you see how I can improve my feedback to make your work easier, please tell me.
No fixed periodic release schedule. If anything, updates will become less frequent over time. I just release an update when I feel enough changes have been made, and my work on this is highly irregular.

Thanks for your feedback. I will give a more detailed response when I have time, but there's a few things I can already tell you after a quick glance:
-I won't be supporting other localizations than English, sorry. It's simply not possible for me to do so, and I can't make everything English for non-English versions of the game. Everything you see in French is hardcoded in the game.
-Every change is included in the detailed features list in the OP, and there are screenshots of every custom model/skin too. I'm not planning on improving stock Blizzard models. At most I will add support for a HD mod/package someone else makes.
-Main menu music includes ROC, TFT and Beta main menu themes, and it will cycle between them randomly.

There are some things I dislike and disapprove:

Some custom models don't match in quality and style with the rest. Heroes for example in Warcraft 3 had higher quality models while units had lower quality models.
Loading screens look terrible, the old ones looked far more better.

The old alpha main menu doesn't fit in terms to how original menu looked like, it doesn't have any theme related to the plot of the story. It's just a random castle, while RoC main menu had a representative theme around it (demons returning, death)
I'm guessing you're referring specifically to the Captain models? I feel it's sort of justified, as they're more than simple units; on the other hand, those models are also more detailed than most hero models. So yeah, I get your point. Would you prefer the normal Captain model (keeping the Falric etc. name)?

Loading screens - will look into improving them or maybe reverting to the generic stock loading screen I used before. Pretty low in priority though, but will definitely look into it before I start implementing TFT.

About the main menu - the thing is, this mod has two separate, distinct themes/plots (RoC and TFT), so I felt like neither of those 3D screens would be appropriate. A more generic Warcraft-themed is more fitting IMO, especially when some custom campaigns are implemented eventually. Moreover, in the campaign menu, each "act" (roc/tft) has their respective 3D screen as a background. There's also no other decent 3D background that I'm aware of.
I actually wanted to use the vanilla WoW login background (depicting the dark portal), but I couldn't get my hands on it, so I settled for this one.

No fixed periodic release schedule. If anything, updates will become less frequent over time. I just release an update when I feel enough changes have been made, and my work on this is highly irregular.

Thanks for your feedback. I will give a more detailed response when I have time, but there's a few things I can already tell you after a quick glance:
-I won't be supporting other localizations than English, sorry. It's simply not possible for me to do so, and I can't make everything English for non-English versions of the game. Everything you see in French is hardcoded in the game.
-Every change is included in the detailed features list in the OP, and there are screenshots of every custom model/skin too. I'm not planning on improving stock Blizzard models. At most I will add support for a HD mod/package someone else makes.
-Main menu music includes ROC, TFT and Beta main menu themes, and it will cycle between them randomly.

I'm guessing you're referring specifically to the Captain models? I feel it's sort of justified, as they're more than simple units; on the other hand, those models are also more detailed than most hero models. So yeah, I get your point. Would you prefer the normal Captain model (keeping the Falric etc. name)?

Loading screens - will look into improving them or maybe reverting to the generic stock loading screen I used before. Pretty low in priority though, but will definitely look into it before I start implementing TFT.

About the main menu - the thing is, this mod has two separate, distinct themes/plots (RoC and TFT), so I felt like neither of those 3D screens would be appropriate. A more generic Warcraft-themed is more fitting IMO, especially when some custom campaigns are implemented eventually. Moreover, in the campaign menu, each "act" (roc/tft) has their respective 3D screen as a background. There's also no other decent 3D background that I'm aware of.
I actually wanted to use the vanilla WoW login background (depicting the dark portal), but I couldn't get my hands on it, so I settled for this one.

I can rip vanilla WoW login screen and convert into Warcraft 3. Would that suit your needs?

Anyway, yes the normal captain model will look much better with the rest. :)

That would be pretty awesome, yes! :D I think it would probably look better than the current 3D background.

About the Captains, I'm considering reverting back to the standard Captain model. Maybe I'll edit it a bit to differentiate between Falric/Marwyn/Valonforth. Not sure though.

Edit:
these models could be pretty good replacements with some edits:
valonforth: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/royal-knight-262774/
marwyn: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/halberdier-222342/
falric: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/royal-captain-108101/

but I'm really not sure. I like Direfury's models, and also their Death Knight counterparts, would personally really prefer to keep those.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32

Ok, wanted to know how to keep in sync together.

Main English voices can be added for the first 2 missions (improves continuity and normalization, for locales other than English), using the game's demo data. I did that with a standalone project found on the Hive that restored the full demo version already. As for the menus/popups/interface, yeah, I tried that myself already a long time ago. too bad, but it is a cosmetic issue only.

If I understand, loading order is :
- war3.mpq
- war3x.mpq
- war3patch.mpq
- /localfiles/ (if activated using registry)
- campaign/map data (if exist)

=> Not sure complete compatibility for additional Mod using localfiles can be feasible. Unless the additional map data becomes localfile. But then if other localfiles already exist on HDD, then previous data might be deleted and people will get quite annoyed. Unless already existing folders' names are modified to avoid data loss.

damn, 100 launches to try to find a pattern. And testing hadn't even begun yet...

That would be pretty awesome, yes! :D I think it would probably look better than the current 3D background.

About the Captains, I'm considering reverting back to the standard Captain model. Maybe I'll edit it a bit to differentiate between Falric/Marwyn/Valonforth. Not sure though.

Edit:
these models could be pretty good replacements with some edits:
valonforth: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/royal-knight-262774/
marwyn: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/halberdier-222342/
falric: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/royal-captain-108101/

but I'm really not sure. I like Direfury's models, and also their Death Knight counterparts, would personally really prefer to keep those.

Now if modularity could be achieved, then everyone could make his own WC3. I myself use some of Ujimasa Hojo's work.

Could some kind of launcher (with options for alternate content) be done ? Might add versatility and ease of use of additional content.

This mod uses a SEMPQ (self-executing MPQ) atm. Not sure whether it's loaded before or after local files. You can open the .exe with any MPQ viewer/editor and modify it as you wish :D

Edited the Royal Captain model a bit. Actually, just added the visor from Direfury's Falric model and fixed the animations:
attachment.php

May transfer the sword & shield from Falric model... dunno. Still on the fence about this.

Attachments

• falric.jpg
    falric.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 4,595
Reactions: pyf
I thought about that, but then there's still Jaina who will look a lot lower in quality. And even if I had a replacement for all of them in the Human campaign, the Human campaign would look out of place compared to the other campaigns. :(

Final falric, what do you think?

Attachments

• falric.jpg
    falric.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,814
Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
This mod uses a SEMPQ (self-executing MPQ) atm. Not sure whether it's loaded before or after local files. You can open the .exe with any MPQ viewer/editor and modify it as you wish :D

Hehe I will, in the near future. Thanks for your kind permission. :thumbs_up:

Remember "lucky bug" numbered 0) ? Well, it already allows to load custom subtitles for FMVs.

The correct path for subtitles is UI\Captions\

There are already officially fixed subtitles for French locale FMVs in war3patch.mpq. But some of those French official subtitles could be better. Especially TutorialIn.txt, which has 3 (!) spelling errors. I believe Blizzard put the wrong file version here...:eekani:

Blizzard does officially not allow subtitles changes using allowlocalfiles. But by using the complete.exe, it works.

Therefore, subtitles for the deaf (yes, I am politically incorrect) might also be done. Must check if I can change the color of text, though (and must learn how it works first).

Ah, and probably understood why FMVs might crash game on startup. And made FMV fit 16:9 too, all thanks to A Void and Warseeker. Damn, another tutorial to write, after proper testing and documenting.

I wonder what else can be done with your exe. Must find time to check this properly...

What's FMV? :p

Check out MPQDraft to make your own SEMPQ :)

Throwing together Marwyn.

haven't asked direfury or the captain models creators for permission yet, so I hope it won't be a problem :p
pretty much decided now that I'll be using the lower quality captains edits.

Edit: it's pretty much done I think. Not sure about the head. Maybe I should take the human mage head and reshape it a bit?
attachment.php

Attachments

• marwyn.jpg
    marwyn.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,742
Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Hehe, this is why I want to experiment communication / procedures between us first. We have to understand each other in order to be more efficient.

FMV stands for Full Motion Video. In WC3, they are the AVI files found in the Movies folder, poorly disguised as MPQs (Blizzard only changed their extension name).

FMVs are different from Cutscenes. Cutscenes in WC3 are those parts of non-interactive narration which use the game's 3D engine.

I will make my own external addon with the changes I have in mind, all done as local files (currently, English voices for main dialogue in the first two missions, plus fixed French subtitles for FMVs where appropriate ; more might follow).

And now, a few generic suggestions :

- clever use of additional sound events to enhance dramatic effects / emotion.

Damn ,I am unable to find a suitable Youtube video, but if you are into Quake / DarkPlaces mods, you already know that adding rain and only the *sound* of distant thunder, adds tremendously to the gaming experience (creates a weird sense of insecurity for the player throughout the game).

Such ambient sound can be used for symbolic and narrative purposes. For example, the distant sound of thunder in a sunny level can lead to rain in a later level, then to rain with thunder, and culminate in lighting striking a tree (or even a character !) in an even later level.

Now could that be used as a way for the gamer to foreshadow Arthas' tragic destiny ? (a burning tree struck by lightning may symbolize the Death of the Father, and the Fall of Lordaeron ? A terrifying thunder sound might be associated with the discovery of Frostmourne ?)

- Chekhov's gun narration trick, and/or Foreshadowing

One such example is my suggestion in 14a). The Orc's inability to operate a human boat properly foreshadows their future shipwreck. Too bad it comes that early in the story.

It might also infer that if the Orcs were true sailors at heart, they would have overridden the storm, and they might never have met the Sea witch.

- reusing Blizzard's stuff to enhance narration / symbolism

Remember the pink heart-shaped (?) petals in the FMV HumanEd.mpq ? Beyond his symbolic meaning, it can be used as a recurring symbol of Arthas' former innocent self. Er, well, not exactly innocent, because he is kinda rotten inside early in the game (see the Stratholme massacre). But anyway, the idea here is to have those pink petals in the very early levels (meaning before Stratholme), closely associated with Arthas, in some clever way. Therefore, it would reinforce their use in the FMV, as something he had once, but lost. And that would work as a Chekhov's gun narrative device.

Hey, those petals might even be associated with *Jaina Proudmoore* and their old brief affair, somewhere in a level where she appears. Now I really have to replay the Human campaign...

Bonus : those petals remind me of John Boorman's Excalibur (near the end, the Carmina Burana sequence in which Arthur "heals" the land of Britain). The Arthas story would go the other way, his "Holy Grail" being Frostmourne.

It might be interesting to try to implement at least one of those things somewhere, if appropriate (or if simply feasible at all).

Last edited:
FMVs - Ah, I see, that's what I suspected :p I tried replacing them with higher quality 720p versions, but they crashed the game :( Probably has to be the same codec. Would be cool to include that with the mod. Although I suspect that in a future patch they will make sure the videos at least look decent without the tearing and all.

Those are some nice ideas, but they sound like they're a lot of work. And tbh, this is taking too long already :p I had expected to be done with the RoC campaigns by now lol.

I finally typed out a response to your feedback, so here it is :D

0) cool =)

0a) IMO, it's either include ALL English voices or none. Unfortunately it's not something that's realistic, so I will have to leave it up to users of the mod to work around that. One possibility is download an English version of the game (which isn't strictly illegal if you already own the game) and replace the voices yourself. Or disable the added dialogue in P03-05 and view it as a custom campaign.
Long story short, I won't be supporting non-English localizations.

1) This is weird. Might indeed be related to 0 (local files). The new logo doesn't overwrite anything from WC3 itself, so it shouldn't cause problems. I only edited UI\war3skins.txt to display it. Well, could be because your game version is French. Maybe there are some variables or something which are different, I don't know.

2) As reported, this is by design. All three tracks (TFT, RoC & Beta opening themes) are set to play randomly.

3) This is probably because war3x.mpq is "in use", messing up the load order.

4) Changed it from "Bonus campaign" inside TFT to "Epilogue" outside of TFT because I think it's a cooler sequence. This might be changed, maybe not. Worries for later :p

------------------

Chasing Visions

5) Not sure what you mean here. In any case, I'm not planning on changing standard Blizzard design.

6) Jerky cinematics - if I understand this correctly, I have this too. Also outside of cinematics, when selecting a building for the first time.
I think this has something to do with the SEMPQ itself, because I tested one with nothing in it, and it still happened, while it works just fine if I launch TFT itself.
By the time I release the final version of WCC, I'd like to switch to a different system with a separate exe/mpq, like many other mods. Don't know how to do that though, so I'll have to figure it out by then.

7) Also not sure what you mean here?

8) I don't think I can do that, except maybe by adding extra spaces in the map settings, which will probably give different results depending on screen resolution.

9) The "( Terminée )"/"( Completed )" part is hard-coded, I can't manually change that. It's an unfortunate side-effect of having an English map in a French game.

-------------------

Departures

10) this is how the Orc race works :) Only Humans can do that :D

11-13) These are standard Blizzard models. Atm I wont be changing any of this. Maybe later I'll try compiling a HQ-collection or something, with some improved stuff. There are few HQ models on the hive, and Ujimasa Hojo has alot of fixed models in his thread, and that stuff by ogre_lord (or what was the name) is interesting too. But that's definitely for a lot later.

14) This is something I had noticed before, but decided to leave. I doubt it's by design :p But that's a nice way of justifying it at least hehe.

14a) This is a nice idea, but I think it would be too comical, while that scene is supposed to be more serious.

-------------------

Riders on the Storm

15) This is a bit nitpicky hehe :p I doubt anyone would notice if they aren't actively looking for faults. Tbh, I don't even really see it on the screenshot :p

16) This is weird. I wonder if it also happens without the mod. Either way, I doubt I can do anything about it. I don't know how to interpret a crash report btw :p

17) Don't know what you mean?

18-19) Nope, no reskins. Every new model/skin has a screenshot in the WCC thread OP.

20) same as 11-13

21) don't think they do have hitpoints. This is fine IMO.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
No need to create 720p videos to fit widescreen. You can simply modify values in the registry for that.

A Void explained that in one of his tutorials.

In the registry, please go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\Video

There, you have values for "cinematicoverrides", "cinematicrefresh", "cinematicbpp", "cinematicwidth" and "cinematicheight"

"cinematicoverrides"=1 will activate the custom values for FMVs.
Changing refresh rate value might fix the tearing issue.

I must still delve into the FMV issues some people have. Searched the web, such weird stories...
Installed 3rd party codec packs do play a role in it imho.

I still must see if AD (AudioDescription) subtitles can be done properly. Being able to change the splitter might do the trick.

The AVI containers Blizzard uses in WC3 include :
- DivX 5.0.1 with the FOURCC BLZ0, at 800x368
- MP3

Please use MediaInfo Lite for all the details.

Program description at MajorGeeks

Crash with 720p homemade FMVs might have happened because your DivX file did not have the FOURCC the game expects (BLZ0). So you might want to edit your AVI with notepad (!) for a (hopefully working) dirty quickfix.

About ideas :

Thanks, and no problem if you do not implement any of them. They are only suggestions. If I want to change something to suit my tastes, I will simply learn how to mod WC3 properly. For now, I only rely on silly tricks, and on allowlocalfiles where possible.

About bug reports :

How can I improve my feedback ?
Also, you can ask me for specific testing via VM. I can also switch easily from 1.26a to 1.27a (you only have to swap six files to switch game versions)

"wontfix" and "notabug" are considered closed for WC3 Complete (see below)

0a) I might submit an optional addon, for those using a game with locale other than English. It would include at least :
- English voices for main dialogue, for the first 2 missions only (Prologue01 and Prologue02)
- Fixed French subtitles

The files would come from the Demo version, or patch 1.27a. At this time, no file from a retail version of the game should be used imho.

When you buy the game, you buy a specific language version. You do *not* own it, you buy the right to use it. If you lose your original CD or it gets damaged, and you do not have a backup copy of it, you can download another copy from Blizzard only, using your valid CD-key as a proof you bought the game. I believe it must be in the same language than the one you originally bought. That digital download is made possible because you are entitled to have one backup *and one backup only* of the software you legally bought (at least according to French laws). Though theoretically that one backup copy should have been made by you and you only from your original source, using your own software/hardware.

=> including *all* English voices could indeed be done, but imho Blizzard would kill us for sure. This is why I would prefer to use only what Blizzard provided in its freely downloadable packages. That might change in the future, depending on Hive's / Blizzard's reactions.

1) do other beta testers have that issue ?
If you use allowlocalfiles=0, what happens for you ?

Line is MainMenuLogo_V1=UI\Glues\MainMenu\WarCraftCLogo\WarCraftCLogo.mdx
Is mdx extension an issue (other stuff here seems to generally use mdl extension) ?
Is mdx associated with blp file (I know nothing about model editing) ?
If so, is blp file the right dimensions / specs / whatever ?

2) ok => notabug

3) yep. Some users might have that issue in very very *exceptional* (read : irrealistic) circumstances. It was just fyi
=> notabug

4) suggestion : might fit into a new category (and a new, original campaign screen btw), that would also include other campaigns. I know you have such a goal since WC3 : All in One.

Possible new original campaign screen might be that one

Might fit into a "Tales of WarCraft" kind of thing. Might include mods and the Epilogue/Bonus campaign from Blizzard in it. The Foundation of Durotar would be one of these tales. Could then keep the "Epilogue" name, if it fits chronologically as being the last one of these tales.

Might even use here, if possible, the voice sample "Stay awhile and listen" from Diablo on 3D campaign screen opening. Would reinforce the "eerie storytelling atmosphere".

5) mixed localization (English and French)
=> notabug => wontfix

6) meaning camera movement during cutscenes is weird / not smooth

You say you have it too
=> not related to my Bird's eye view

Maybe antivirus scanning the file complete.exe causes weirdness ? I must check that

btw I deprecated Bird's Eye View, since it is not officially supported (it was more of a debug tool anyway)

7) mixed localization (English and French)
=> notabug => wontfix

8) adding spaces was indeed the idea. But it "breaks" text normalization rules (story text is always left-aligned in WC3)

suggestion : try with one file, and change resolutions to see if it is still aesthetic ?
if not then => wontfix

9) mixed localization (English and French)
=> notabug => wontfix => Blizzard you bad boys :D

10) => notabug => isuckatwarcraft3 X(

11-13) they are not well centered imho

maybe provide a fixed version in an optional addon using allowlocalfiles ?

I may try with the treasure chest and the cages ; should be easy for me (?)
If I succeed, I will include them in my optional addon pack for the nitpickers :)

I like Ujimasa Hojo's work. And too bad oger-lord is not around these days

14) yeah, pathing is not always that great sometimes

14a) instead, sound played can just be the distant ugly noise of wood scratching onto stone. That way we emphasize the same idea, that Orcs can not sail properly with human boats.

if still considered inappropriate => wontfix

15) Hey I am not the only nitpicker here :D

(nice find btw)

please see file attached. Perspective of top left box feels kinda weird to me. Also you indeed have to look really hard to spot that one.

=> wontfix ??

Beta-testing is anything *but* playing. So I *have* to nitpick about anything. And be weird, too. I must do quests in sick ways (out-of-order, multiple quests done at once but never finished), and all kinds of crazy silly stuff.

Goal is to gloriously CTD, or be unable to end quest / level

16) maybe it is caused by my Bird's eye view (now deprecated for testing) ? Or by a bug in patch 1.27a ? I must retest.

=> can you CTD too, by choosing Restart before "Main Quest objectives" appears on screen ?

=> OK, so no need to include crash logs if they are of no use to you.
Fyi, imho most problems people had with 1.27a was because of hacks. It was so plainly visible in their crash logs (see the "Loaded Modules" section)

17) mixed localization (English and French)
=> notabug => wontfix

18) => wontfix

19) => wontfix (Blizzard lacked inspiration that precise day)

20) => wontfix. Maybe Ujimasa Hojo will do a fixed version someday.
He already fixed some of Blizzard's original buildings / units that had blatant issues.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/modeling-animation-276/blizzards-bugged-resources-237708/
(old thread ?)

Never spotted that Orc Watchtower "floating skull" glitch he fixed btw

21) => wontfix

Attachments

• 015 - closeup - maybe wrong top left box perspective.jpg
    015 - closeup - maybe wrong top left box perspective.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 338
FMV - yeah I know you can change the aspect ratio, although it doesn't seem to do anything on my end. But I wanted to replace them with high quality versions I downloaded from youtube, not really important.

About improving feedback - it's probably best to stick to testing the things that are actually changed in the mod. Things like crashes are very unlikely to be caused by it, and even then I don't think I could fix it.
Obvious bugs present in the stock campaigns are also valuable, since I can fix those (and have done here and there). Especially the RoC campaigns might contain bugs caused by porting it to TFT.
Concerning suggestions, most of them are pretty nice, but I'm not looking to really change the campaigns, only add to them with new lore, and add new models where Blizzard was "lazy" (like the elf buildings in the undead campaign, or the bamboo buildings in the prologue campaign). It would be nice to do much more, but that would take too long. I want to finish this asap :p

One thing you could test 1.26 vs 1.27: the main menu 3D screen is supposed have a sound when the cannon fires, but it stopped working and I can't seem to fix it. Does it work in 1.26? Because it seems to have stopped working after the update.

0a) Cool! Feel free to distribute a localized version as you see fit. The more people that play this the better :p
Don't really know about the legality of it all, so use your best judgement :p

1) don't have any other beta testers unfortunately hehe :p I will test this out soon.
MDX extention could be causing it maybe, if it's different from usual. Although I haven't heard anyone else report this issue.

4) Yes, actually, I had pretty much finished integrating OutsiderXE's The Last Guardian as Act One (RoC became Act Two etc), but RL got in the way and it was never released. It actually uses the 3D screen you linked to :D
So yeah, the goal is to list them chronologically as much as possible, so Founding of Durotar will definitely be last on the list. Until I add other custom campaigns that take place after TFT, I'll probably stick to the "Epilogue" thing, since it doesn't really fit into the overall TFT theme (hence the label "Bonus campaign").

6) Specifically, on my end, the screen freezes for a moment and then the game seems to "catch up" (sped up shortly). Same thing when I select a building for the first time for example. I don't have antivirus so that can't be it. But this should be fixed if/when I switch to a different mod system.

the rest is pretty much wontfix. They're kind of beyond the scope of what I'm trying to do. It will take forever to finish this if I try to make it "perfect", and not even Blizzard did it perfect.

Thanks a bunch for your feedback btw! Means a lot :)

Did the Valonforth model btw... An update should be coming within the next few days/some time next week, with an updated human campaign. The captains will have bigger roles, and there's a number of bugfixes.
I might still switch back to Direfury's models at some point, maybe :p Will see what feedback I get with these.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,130
Level 15
Honestly, I am really not big fan of Direfury's models, and I really don't uderstand why are you so opssesed with his models. They are more HD than normal WC3 models and it looks really ugly when you have them next to each other. And I am not even going to speak about those awful animation. I really don't want to offend someone, I am just sharing my thoughts, but just compare animations of Direfury's models and Tauer's models..

Well I was using those models because they're the only Falric/Marwyn/Valonforth models around, AND they have a death knight version. I hadn't really considered the difference in detail until it was pointed out to me (I don't think the animations are that bad, though they could be better).

Do you like the replacements I have? (screenshots in the past few posts)

pyf

pyf

Level 32
One thing you could test 1.26 vs 1.27: the main menu 3D screen is supposed have a sound when the cannon fires, but it stopped working and I can't seem to fix it. Does it work in 1.26? Because it seems to have stopped working after the update.

Combo bug report :grin:

Most probably identified the 2 issues with 3D campaign screen.

Missing 3D campaign screen beta sounds
from complete 0.21b (9083C1FB)
- 1.26a : not working cannon sound, not working gate sound
- 1.27a : not working cannon sound, not working gate sound

from download (CF36D595) (date 01/15/2016), using allowlocalfiles
- 1.26a : working sounds (gate, cannon)
- 1.27a : working sounds (gate, cannon)

=> bug is : file in complete.exe (mdx with CRC 9083C1FB) is the wrong, buggy version

Garbled 3D menu logo
1.26a (1280x768) : displays properly
1.26a (1024x768) : displays properly
1.26a (800x600) : does not display properly (see 01)

1.27a (1280x768) : displays properly
1.27a (1024x768) : displays properly
1.27a (800x600) : does not display properly (see 01)

=> bug is : display does not adapt to 800x600 and below resolutions
=> please check blp size imho

no problem detected in 16bpp, btw

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Yes and no. The CF36D595 (working) version comes from the Model section. Last update date on the OP says 15:24, 1st Apr 2016, but this is not really the case, because file date in archive says January 15, 2016. I saw that immediately that day, but I thought it was an April fool.

Waiting for your confirmation the CF36D595 version works for you too, using allowlocalfiles. Local content allows to check things very fast, so you might want to extract the version included in complete.exe 0.21b too, to confirm this other version does not work properly.

The January version might be a good place to restart adding things, to improve it even further.

Logo.blp : maybe the texture size is too big ?

As for the rep', well, I am only doing my job.:wink: (Poker Face attempt here)

Last edited:
Update has been released:

Changes/Additions (7):
  • Captain Falric and Captain Valonforth: new models
  • H03-09: Captain Marwyn added (revivable unit)
  • H07-08: Captain Falric and Baelgun added (Baelgun not playable in H08)
  • H08: Added extra enemies to balance out Falric and Marwyn
  • H07&09: Captain Valonforth added (not playable in H7, revivable/playable in H09)
  • Captain Falric and Baelgun: balance changes
  • Elven Town Hall/Keep/Castle, Altar of the Sun, Lumber Mill, Blacksmith and SSP icon added to WE
Fixes (6):
  • H02: Peasants now harvest gold after the intro cinematic ends
  • H04: Purple Lich (Rage Winterchill) now properly follows AI commands
  • H05 End cinematic:
    • Corpses and Undead units no longer receive Devotion Aura buff
    • Doubled the amount of Queue Attack Animation triggers to make units less idle during the battle
  • H09: Intro Cinematic: waygate teleport is no longer weird
  • Main Menu: 3D Background now plays cannon and drawbridge sound
Updates (1):
  • Revivable Units 1.3.1 (fixes a bug that caused dissipating units to attack enemies instead of playing the dissipate animation)

Next I will be making death knight versions of Falric and Marwyn for the Undead campaign.

@pyf: forgot to check out the logo bugging out, will do that first :D

Level 8
One question, i saw this recently and when it says "Updated to 1.27 files" does it means that i need patch 1.27 to play this?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Update has been released:
[...]
@pyf: forgot to check out the logo bugging out, will do that first :D

No problem. Downloading v0.22

I am preparing an additional, optional pack for your mod. It is focused on linguistics / foreign users. Already done :
- English voices for Prologue 01 and 02
- Fixed French subtitles for FMVs (currently Intro & Humans)
- Fixed French text for ingame interface menu (yep, things are not *that* hardcoded in WC3, after all).

I must finish writing proper readmes, and document each and every change I made.

I want to make it easy for someone else to create a GUI, so that optional changes for your mod can be added/removed at will.

Future additions might include :
- widescreen support (see my 3 tutorials ; ingame is for 1.26a only)
- FMV widescreen support (using registry - thanks go to A Void, with inspiration from Warseeker)
- alternate models for portrait (at least, fixed treasure chest position)
- animated trees 0.2 (I must ask permission first, but I am so shy :grin:)
- (if possible) AD subtitles with *colors* (that is the whole point of it)

Some of my stuff here must also go into the wish list thread. Must write a *huge*, sensible wall of text there. :eekani:

Nope, it will work just fine on 1.26.

=> I will also test with 1.26a, since you seem to officially support it.

About legal stuff, it seems reusing content created by Blizzard Entertainment may be permitted, if proper credit is given to them, and if said content fits / is reused in an appropriate way.

About loading order : checked MPQ docs ; the patch file is loaded *first*, then the standard game files. A file found in the patch file is not searched in the standard game files.

This seems to be the exact opposite as, say, how Quake stuff works (loads in conventional order ; file found in last file takes precedence over all the files of the same name found previously).

btw, how is the conversion of the WoW campaign screen going ?

Last edited:
Level 34
Hey, this is a very nice project. I would love to see the campaign being better canon-wise. Also liked the remade captains. They look much better and fitting! The idea of getting units that follow you between the missions or untill they die is perfect. When i was a kid i always tried to save that mortar team and was real dissapointed not to find him with me in the next mission.

About things that i think need reworking:
I think that you should rework Valonforth, Baelgun and Altar of the Deep models. All three models have 3 different texture problems. Captain's wrap is an overkill while his chest in very stretched, while his weaponary is overly textured. Dwarf's texture is alittle bit out of wc3 style. And Altar has this huge texture stretch a whole lot, doesn't look too good. I've also noticed a certain inconcistency with heroglows for those hero-units.

I also realy hate the new loading screen. I'm sorry, but it's worse than the original one.

Also, the thing that always bugged me - warlord in Arthas's campaign (1st mission i think) is red skinned. I suggest my simple edit. Coz why not.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Working GlobalStrings.fdf text manipulations, loaded using allowlocalfiles only.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• fixes for French users.png
    fixes for French users.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 1,173
  • hi guys - because I can.png
    hi guys - because I can.png
    163.4 KB · Views: 1,204
No problem. Downloading v0.22

I am preparing an additional, optional pack for your mod. It is focused on linguistics / foreign users. Already done :
- English voices for Prologue 01 and 02
- Fixed French subtitles for FMVs (currently Intro & Humans)
- Fixed French text for ingame interface menu (yep, things are not *that* hardcoded in WC3, after all).

btw, how is the conversion of the WoW campaign screen going ?
I'll be happy to put the download link to your localized version in the OP here. Although I'd prefer it to be only localized without the new portrait models etc, until I provide support for that in the English version.

A Void has rupped the WoW screen, but it has some issues. He hasn't responded to my question if he'd be willing to try and fix it, but I'll send him a message soon to ask that he sends it to me, so I can maybe fix it myself.

Hey, this is a very nice project. I would love to see the campaign being better canon-wise. Also liked the remade captains. They look much better and fitting! The idea of getting units that follow you between the missions or untill they die is perfect. When i was a kid i always tried to save that mortar team and was real dissapointed not to find him with me in the next mission.
Thanks! Glad it's working out so far :D

About things that i think need reworking:
I think that you should rework Valonforth, Baelgun and Altar of the Deep models. All three models have 3 different texture problems. Captain's wrap is an overkill while his chest in very stretched, while his weaponary is overly textured. Dwarf's texture is alittle bit out of wc3 style. And Altar has this huge texture stretch a whole lot, doesn't look too good. I've also noticed a certain inconcistency with heroglows for those hero-units.
Hmm, I'll see what I can do. I really like the altar model in itself, but yeah those pillars especially are a bit stretched. I don't think I can improve the seahorse, since it uses a specific texture.
Will definitely try and improve Valonforth's wrapping.

About the heroglows - I imported the same model in all the hero-units, so it should look exactly the same. Maybe the positioning relative to the unit model is off in some of them?
I just noticed Marwyn doesn't have any glow in the screenshot here, although his model does. Not sure what happened there, must be an older screenshot I used.
Hold on though, I just realized right now that the captains are scaled at 1.15, and Baelgun is just 1 (IIRC), so I should make sure to make Baelgun's glow ~15% bigger than the captains'.
Love the Baelgun model you sent me btw! I'm definitely gonna use that :D

I also realy hate the new loading screen. I'm sorry, but it's worse than the original one.
Just to clarify, you mean the loading screens when loading the prologue/human/etc campaign, and prefer the "Generic" one I used in All In One?
I'm going to try to improve those loading screens (I like the idea of these), but if I can't get it to look good, I'll probably just switch back to the generic one.

Also, the thing that always bugged me - warlord in Arthas's campaign (1st mission i think) is red skinned. I suggest my simple edit. Coz why not.
Done, thanks! :D
SlaveMaster.jpg

Working GlobalStrings.fdf text manipulations, loaded using allowlocalfiles only.

attachment.php

attachment.php
Hahaha, lol, nice one!
Nice find there, will be cool to have a French version :D

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I'll be happy to put the download link to your localized version in the OP here. Although I'd prefer it to be only localized without the new portrait models etc, until I provide support for that in the English version.

Thanks for your support.

Fear not, all optional addons will not be in the same archive. And they will be submitted to you first, for approval. They will then be uploaded to the Packs section of the Hive.

The first Pack deals with linguistics (voice and text). Minor typos for French in original Blizzard files are already fixed.

I hope this first Pack will encourage others to add localized support for WC3C. And maybe dub the last Prologue missions ? :xxd:

Just to clarify, you mean the loading screens when loading the prologue/human/etc campaign, and prefer the "Generic" one I used in All In One?
I'm going to try to improve those loading screens (I like the idea of these), but if I can't get it to look good, I'll probably just switch back to the generic one.

These loading screens seem very misunderstood. I personally like them.

I believe you want to give them an "old scroll" look. This would perfectly make sense, since I know you intend to use Born²Modificate's custom campaign screen someday. It all fits the "storytelling" approach.

4) suggestion : might fit into a new category (and a new, original campaign screen btw), that would also include other campaigns. I know you have such a goal since WC3 : All in One.

Possible new original campaign screen might be that one [Born²Modificate's Custom Campaignscreen]

Might fit into a "Tales of WarCraft" kind of thing. Might include mods and the Epilogue/Bonus campaign from Blizzard in it. The Foundation of Durotar would be one of these tales. Could then keep the "Epilogue" name, if it fits chronologically as being the last one of these tales.

Might even use here, if possible, the voice sample "Stay awhile and listen" from Diablo on 3D campaign screen opening. Would reinforce the "eerie storytelling atmosphere".

Hahaha, lol, nice one!
Nice find there, will be cool to have a French version :D

Glad you like it.

I will see how much French I can bring back in WC3C (means, fix "mixed localization issues"). Sadly, no official French voices exist (to my knowledge) for the last Prologue missions.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you can't upload something to the Packs section. A "pack" is basically a collection of your own resources uploaded and approved in another section of HVW.

That's basically what I was going for with the loading screens. But I can see how it could be improved somewhat.

@stretched textures on altar of the deep: how about this?

attachment.php

EDIT: new Baelgun model made by JesusHipster :D
attachment.php

just need to find/make a new icon for him

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1,115
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,217
Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
My bad. I was exploring the Hive, and the Packs section seemed to be the right place. Optional addons fit into no other category imho. Mine have no purpose without WC3 Complete, for some things would simply never work without it.

The Pack Submission Rules might lack a bit of explanation, or might not. Anyway, thanks for the info.

About the loading screens, the WarCraft II ones might be a source of inspiration ? I like how the "old scroll" concept connects to that game, btw. And with Born²Modificate's campaign screen, the global theme will be made clear for everyone.

The "old scroll" theme also points out the fact that it is *not* Blizzard's campaign we are playing in real time. It is a *retelling* of it, the battles already happened. Hence some differences, which perfectly make sense here.

Such differences might be over-emphasized someday, with a different mod. Think of the (more or less historic) Trojan War vs Homer's Iliad. Or the Hot Gates battle vs Frank Miller's 300 (this particular one being a retelling within a retelling). Aargh, ideas are going wild, must... take... my... pills. :xxd:

The idea of units surviving throughout the campaign is another great concept. :thumbs_up:
Reminds me of Homeworld.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.