• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 patch wish list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
1) Enable Multiplayer Game Cache !!!!! at least for Lan if not for battlenet.
2) Add support for advanced shaders and real time shadows and bump textures.
3) add walls and gates
4) make the AI use ships and transports to attack and expand ther base on islands
5) allow players to sell items to other players from ther inventory (for rpg maps)

1)I know nothing about the first, what is it used for?
2)I really doubt the war 3 engine can handle something like that.
3)Walls and gates... why not?
4)Can't agree enough on this, even if it can be done with triggers, it should be included in the mele triggers.
5)Can be done with triggers.

better graphics, can use sc2 and wow models, add another program besides wc3 world editor like modeling or something. etc.

1) Better graphics is such a wide concept... just how much is better anyway?
2) NOT going to happen. It would require a new engine which would cost as much as making a new game, thus making it more useful (in money terms) to make a new game.
3) There a modeling tool for warcraft 3 made by blizzard. It cost money. For skinning you have photoshop (which also cost money) or paint. I don't know... what else could there be left?

Level 5
1)I know nothing about the first, what is it used for?
2)I really doubt the war 3 engine can handle something like that.
3)Walls and gates... why not?
4)Can't agree enough on this, even if it can be done with triggers, it should be included in the mele triggers.
5)Can be done with triggers.

1) Check this out (hive link)

2) check the ENBseries and tell me if they can't. i believe they can if they update the engine,how hard can it be? its blizzard!

5) how?? sent me a link plz thanks

Level 19
1) Check this out (hive link)

2) check the ENBseries and tell me if they can't. i believe they can if they update the engine,how hard can it be? its blizzard!

5) how?? sent me a link plz thanks

You can't just update an engine... It's either work with one engine to it's limits or use a better engine that costs more.
In other words, making anything beyond certain point of graphic, would need an entire new engine, which thus would cost:
a) Lots of money
b) Render all models from the old engine useless
c) Require a complete remake of the whole game in that engine

So, No. To that extent, blizzard may better start warcraft 4 if they intend to have a graphic improvement (which I would insta buy by the way...)

dynamic shadows are something much more complex than people think... If it was possible to implement right now, somebody would had already done a dynamic shadow system with JASS or in a mod. But no system nor mod does this, because it's beyond the game's engine.

Well, about point 5, I know it's certainly possible, but I don't know any system that does this. I know though it can be done as I made such system for one of my maps (eons ago) but it was so simple that it barely worked.
Somebody here better with triggers may help you instead.

Oh, so game cache are those things too change map... wouldn't that require that everybody has the map? It's a bit difficult, but interesting idea.

really? you can use windows 7 but you cant have the requirements for it? whats the point for the patch then? if not for users that use win7 and later. get out from your cave dude!! we are in 2016 :p

The main answer is: China.

The majority of the playerbase is there, and a lot of them are still using older operating systems (especially the glorious Windows XP). It is Microsoft's fault for making paid/painful upgrades. Everyone--programmers, users, even Microsoft--has to pay the price for it. Support has improved over time, but there is still that big split.

That isn't to say that changes can't be made! They just have to be extra careful with it.

Level 6
I would love if we could select more than 12 units at once.
Repeating the same attack move order to 4+ army control groups is lame :(

Also some detailed hero and unit balance, make all the races more even.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
The main answer is: China.

The majority of the playerbase is there, and a lot of them are still using older operating systems (especially the glorious Windows XP). It is Microsoft's fault for making paid/painful upgrades. Everyone--programmers, users, even Microsoft--has to pay the price for it. Support has improved over time, but there is still that big split.

That isn't to say that changes can't be made! They just have to be extra careful with it.

Windows 10 is free. Windows 7 is cheap af, 20 dollars, maybe there are cheaper ones but where I looked it was 20 dollars.
Not to mention the fact that any OS for free through other methods.

edit: windows 8.1 seemed to be slightly more expensive 23 dollars-ish
I don't get why anyone would willingly get windows 8 but I throw it out there anyway, not being able to afford an OS is BS in any non-Nigeria country.

Level 19
Windows 10 is free. Windows 7 is cheap af, 20 dollars, maybe there are cheaper ones but where I looked it was 20 dollars.
Not to mention the fact that any OS for free through other methods.

edit: windows 8.1 seemed to be slightly more expensive 23 dollars-ish
I don't get why anyone would willingly get windows 8 but I throw it out there anyway, not being able to afford an OS is BS in any non-Nigeria country.

guess what, if I have 20 bucks for nothing I won't buy new OS anyway. stop the fucking solicitation here. I don't want to upgrade. Many of us won't do that. We aren't propagand anyone to do same. We aren't asking Blizz to stop upgrading graphics either. It's completely up to the company.

Level 19
This isn't double post since now Im refers to the actual topic.

Memory scanning shown, that every object's data laying in the straight array in the memory. So, 'h000' -> 'h001' -> etc etc. Its really easy to get any (ANY) data by unit's ID. There are no reason why this should be forbidden.
With setting, though, there are troubles. Memory already allocated and cannot be changed. Any changes should lay within the same lenght. I can change unit's model only for the same lenght or shorter, using null byte. Thanks god for 4 bytes data allocating for integers, though, Im not sure about how to handle reals there.

Overall, with given output:
Allow changing of models and textures at runtime
pretty much possible only for short pathes. Since it's a must have restriction, they would barely be interested with that.

Oh, and regarding
Allow ability cooldowns larger than 5 minutes
why is it undecided? Turnd out that there are no internal timers or anything for cooldowns. Instead it timestamps, which shows whenever the ability will become operable. That means cooldown manipuations are possible and restrictions are obsolete - there are literally nothing to defend it.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
guess what, if I have 20 bucks for nothing I won't buy new OS anyway. stop the fucking solicitation here. I don't want to upgrade. Many of us won't do that. We aren't propagand anyone to do same. We aren't asking Blizz to stop upgrading graphics either. It's completely up to the company.

If you don't want to upgrade (or anyone else) that's fine, just don't give BS reasons. (in this case it was the money)

Windows XP is no longer supported and wont get updated which means it gets more and more insecure as time goes on.
Newer games requires you to have windows 7 anyway so you'll have to upgrade sooner or later anyway.
Which means most move on to windows 7. And from windows 7 you get a free upgrade to windows 10.

So yeah, seems pretty silly to say that tons of people still use XP. And more importantly, to say that it should not be improved because of it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
really? you can use windows 7 but you cant have the requirements for it? whats the point for the patch then? if not for users that use win7 and later. get out from your cave dude!! we are in 2016 :p
The GPU requirements are raised massively beyond that of what Windows 7 needs to run as a result of advanced shader features.

The main issue is that raising the system requirements invalidates every boxed copy of the game's system requirements (some USA person will sue, like they did with Diablo III and its "competitive multiplayer" lie) and can potentially alienate most players from developing countries which do not have good computers (most of the Chinese players).

Windows 10 is free.
No it is not. It still needs a licence. You can get one for free if you have Windows 7/8 however that licence is only for the motherboard you are using.

Memory scanning shown, that every object's data laying in the straight array in the memory. So, 'h000' -> 'h001' -> etc etc. Its really easy to get any (ANY) data by unit's ID. There are no reason why this should be forbidden.
This makes no sense. It would mean that type ids would be subject to memory collisions due to requiring resereved addresses. It would also mean "'h000' -> 'h001'" is impossible as there is no place to put the data.

The reason it is not possible is because it was not really deemed a required feature.

why is it undecided? Turnd out that there are no internal timers or anything for cooldowns. Instead it timestamps, which shows whenever the ability will become operable. That means cooldown manipuations are possible and restrictions are obsolete - there are literally nothing to defend it.
It is kind of obvious that time stamps are used, as there is no other way of implementing such a thing.

Why the feature does not exist is again down to it not being deemed necessary during development.

StarCraft II has both features, with catalog natives to manipulate data and natives to alter ability cooldowns and charges.

Windows XP is no longer supported and wont get updated which means it gets more and more insecure as time goes on.
Still does not stop people from using it, especially if they are poor. They are using pirated versions often anyway.

Newer games requires you to have windows 7 anyway so you'll have to upgrade sooner or later anyway.
Windows 7 has higher system requirements than XP so will not run on some hardware. Windows 10 even more so with it not supporting old processors at all (I think anything P4 and earlier does not work).

Which means most move on to windows 7. And from windows 7 you get a free upgrade to windows 10.
Only if they have been able to afford a new PC in the last 6 years odd. The free Windows 10 offer expires in June.

So yeah, seems pretty silly to say that tons of people still use XP. And more importantly, to say that it should not be improved because of it.
XP is not the main reason the graphics cannot be improved. It is the fact that it costs a ton of money to do so and that the sort of people who play Warcraft III, the ones with budget/low performance GPUs, only do so because of its low requirements.

A lot of what people are asking for is already in StarCraft II. Instead of trying to turn Warcraft III into WarStarcraft III, it would be far better to fix bugs and other quality of life issues. For example fixing up the GUI actions which cause instant crashes on selection.

Level 19
This makes no sense. It would mean that type ids would be subject to memory collisions due to requiring resereved addresses. It would also mean "'h000' -> 'h001'" is impossible as there is no place to put the data.
it's plain unit's data, not unit's objects. every unit list there.
'h000' [tons of data from slk/txts] [link onto the 'h001'] 'h001' [...]

and we aren't speaking of deemed or not, we here to suggest wishes for the company. if they won't do even that simple tasks, its worthless at all.

pretty much possible only for short pathes. Since it's a must have restriction, they would barely be interested with that.

What do you mean by "a must have restriction"?

Blizzard controls the format in which units are stored. If they really wanted to, they could change it. For example, in your case they could make it a fixed length string and just pad it (e.g. 256 chars). They already do that with some of the MDX chunks, so I don't see why they wouldn't be willing to do it here.

Level 19
What do you mean by "a must have restriction"?

Blizzard controls the format in which units are stored. If they really wanted to, they could change it. For example, in your case they could make it a fixed length string and just pad it (e.g. 256 chars). They already do that with some of the MDX chunks, so I don't see why they wouldn't be willing to do it here.

I've been talking about "they won't change old stuff for our purposes", surely everything could be adapted, if you want to. do they?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I've been talking about "they won't change old stuff for our purposes", surely everything could be adapted, if you want to. do they?
The problem is not so much "can they" but "will they". WC3 is only so buggy at the moment because they did not allocate resources to maintain it in the past.

It is one thing justifying fixing bugs to management because that is part of quality assurance. It is another trying to justify adding new features because that falls under development. Management will always prefer to develop new features for new content because it has a lot better returns than for old existing content.

The only reason they are fixing compatibility and melee balance is because of the tournaments in China which still have value to them. They can justify melee balance development because it can get good returns from the tournaments. They cannot justify new WorldEdit or Warcraft III features as those will give them no real return for their investment.

Trying to justify fixing the "local keyword declared local handle variable reference counter leak on return" bug is a lot easier than trying to justify adding "modern shader pipelines" or "HD models" or "the ability to modify object entries with triggers". Where as the fix quality assurance can mark the issue as solved, improving the over all quality of Warcraft III, the others can always be argued "Why not spend these resources on StarCraft II adding new features for mappers and Heroes of the Storm instead?".

Level 5
The GPU requirements are raised massively beyond that of what Windows 7 needs to run as a result of advanced shader features.

The main issue is that raising the system requirements invalidates every boxed copy of the game's system requirements (some USA person will sue, like they did with Diablo III and its "competitive multiplayer" lie) and can potentially alienate most players from developing countries which do not have good computers (most of the Chinese players)..

First of all if they cant meet the requirements they are probably not gamers.i dont believe this is a reason not update the game (gfx) and rise the requirements. they cant alienate some one that is already alienated from to days tech. with your reasoning we dont need a patch at all.by they way did you think about the "Options" button? the one that lives in the game menu? if you dont like the massive requirements you could turn them OFF,did you think about that? bro you acting like we talking about how to steal your lollipop,no offence mate but come on. "alienate" ? really? if they cant they are so poor i doubt they have internet connection to start with or even a legit copy of the game. move to starcraft 2? well thats expensive.i mean if we think like that then fuck it! Companies like GOG should close up if they start thinking like you. The Gaming industry is growing up,we must too and along with it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
First of all if they cant meet the requirements they are probably not gamers.
Most games are played on phones now, which in theory could run WC3 but certainly not anything better.

i dont believe this is a reason not update the game (gfx) and rise the requirements.
It violates the contract they made with the user. You cannot say "you need X" but then change it to "you need Y" just because you feel like it. Imagine if they did that with Warcraft III where back during the Xbox360/PS3 period they decided to dump all x86 support in favour of the PowerPC like instructions for consoles making the game unplayable on any PC.

they cant alienate some one that is already alienated from to days tech.
They can because a lot of the players of WC3 are playing it on second hand computers using technology from yester year. That is why they are not playing StarCraft II as despite its comparatively low system requirements today it is still too high for them.

with your reasoning we dont need a patch at all
We do, to fix issues like "local keyword declared local handle variable reference counter leak on return bug" and to re-enable ambient sound on Mac as well as add wide-screen support. All of them massive quality improvements.

by they way did you think about the "Options" button? the one that lives in the game menu? if you dont like the massive requirements you could turn them OFF,did you think about that?
Except it is not that simple. In order to support a modern shader pipeline you would have to change the entire graphics API from the fixed shader pipelines from D3D7 technology to the programmable ones of D3D8 and 9. If you were to change to D3D10/11 that would need yet another set of API calls with complete changes to the render code. Using D3D12 would need even more changes as now everything is done at a low level for faster and fewer API calls.

Each of which to implement is a massive amount of code work, needs maintenance, can be subject to unique bugs, and cannot all be supported at once as one cannot static link to higher APIs on older systems without it throwing a DLL not found exception.

bro you acting like we talking about how to steal your lollipop,no offence mate but come on.
Um what? So by pointing out that what people are saying is not at all viable suddenly I have lost something?

"alienate" ? really?
Yes that is what happens if you change system requirements. The Wii emulator "Dolphin" as well as PS2 emulator "PCSX2" suffered from this a lot as they often raised the requirements in order to boost performance. Many of their old builds worked on really ancient systems but since they now use SSE2 or even newer they only work on fairly recent systems. The justification for this was that the emulation would never perform well on such systems anyway however it did fill their boards with complaints from the odd person who played at 50% speed. Oh and a simple compiler switch would not suffice as the JIT recompiles have to output native machine code and they are often where the instructions are most needed.

As it is the last patch secretly raised WC3's requirements so that it needs D3D9 and a modern version of MSVC++ runtime distributable. At least a few people ran into issues with this.

if they cant they are so poor i doubt they have internet connection to start with or even a legit copy of the game.
They are much more likely to have internet than a good computer as you do not need a good computer to use the internet and the internet is far more useful. Additionally most of the WC3 community are pirates so unless you want to kill off the majority of the player base...

Why else do you think non-battlenet methods of hosting are so popular? So that all the pirates can play multiplayer of course. One of the reasons why the game has had so little support in the past is that unlike BattleNet 2.0 games, it can be pirated and played multiplayer very easily.

Do note I do own a genuine copy of the game. Just that many of the people who use this site and you meet in bot games do not. Piracy is wrong and I still tell them to buy the game.

move to starcraft 2? well thats expensive.i mean if we think like that then fuck it!
Yes free is so expensive. All StarCraft II arcade can be accessed for free. You only need to own a licence to use the editor, the campaign or to play melee and other features like allied commander mode.

If you have the computer to run a visually improved version of WC3, then you obviously can run StarCraft II. So it is not any more expensive. It also offers you everything you need/want. As such there is no need to raise the system requirements of Warcraft III when you can just use the already higher StarCraft II to do what you want.

Companies like GOG should close up if they start thinking like you.
GOG does not modify games at all... It fixes them to be playable and removes protection schemes and that is it. Many former employees complained that some new features or fixes could be easily made but they were not allowed to because they want only the minimum amount of work done.

The Gaming industry is growing up,we must too and along with it.
Yes, PC games are dead and even consoles are in decline. It is time we throw our PCs away and get a new, dumbed down freemium Warcraft III phone/tablet app to use on the go with inbuilt twitter and facebook integration and pay2win model.

PC games are already a "dinosaur" in the modern gaming industry. If people were to adopt your idea of "growing up" that would quite literally mean to throw away what we already have.

Level 19
guys, why so much hate here? I see that this thread has become a "Want HD warcraft 3" vs "Don't want HD warcraft 3" fight.
The purpose of this thread is to discuss realistic ideas and also dream ideas. It's not that you can't say "I want warcraft 3 in HD!", it's that you don't have to freak out if we calmly say "Sorry buddy, not likely to happen". You have your dreams, we have our reasons, but in the end we are all members of the same small dying community. We should get along.

Level 5
guys, why so much hate here? I see that this thread has become a "Want HD warcraft 3" vs "Don't want HD warcraft 3" fight.
The purpose of this thread is to discuss realistic ideas and also dream ideas. It's not that you can't say "I want warcraft 3 in HD!", it's that you don't have to freak out if we calmly say "Sorry buddy, not likely to happen". You have your dreams, we have our reasons, but in the end we are all members of the same small dying community. We should get along.

well you are right,i will rise my white flag.

For now...:ogre_datass: nah i'm kidding.lets focus on ideas and dreams.

Level 37
Thread is too long for me to check, but I would love multi-monitor support for the World Editor. It is quite frustrating to always keep the Trigger Editor & Object Editor on my primary monitor since any "right-click window" that open from these windows open on the primary monitor regardless of which monitor it is actually on.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 34
Yes! Feel free to post them here or make a new thread if you want to start an actual discussion.

Awexome!
No, I will post here instead:
- A native to get unit's current move path length/distance (from unit's position or starting point: point where the unit is ordered to move, to the target point) when it's moving.
- A native to queue orders on units.

I thought I have many more :v

Level 19
Just the things we managed to implement by ourselves
JASS:
function StartAbilityCooldown takes unit u, integer id returns nothing
function PrintAllUnitAbilities takes integer pConvertedHandle returns nothing
function SetEffectSizeEx takes effect e, real full, real x,real y, real z returns nothing
function SetEffectSize takes effect e, real size returns nothing
function SetEffectPos takes effect e, real x, real y, real z returns nothing
function GetEffectZ takes effect e returns real
function GetEffectY takes effect e returns real
function GetEffectX takes effect e returns real
function GetUnitAttackSpeed takes unit u returns real
function SetUnitAttackSpeed takes unit u, real r returns nothing
function GetUnitAttackBackswing takes unit u returns real
function SetUnitAttackBackswing takes unit u, real r returns nothing
function GetUnitAttackPoint takes unit u returns real
function SetUnitAttackPoint takes unit u, real r returns nothing
function GetUnitBAT2 takes unit u returns real
function SetUnitBAT2 takes unit u, real r returns nothing
function GetUnitBAT1 takes unit u returns real
function SetUnitBAT1 takes unit u, real r returns nothing
function GetUnitAttackRange2 takes unit u returns real
function SetUnitAttackRange2 takes unit u, real r returns nothing
function SetUnitAttackType takes unit u, integer i, integer attacknu
//attack types are hero magic pierce etc
function SetUnitAttackType1 takes unit u, integer i returns nothing
function SetUnitAttackType2 takes unit u, integer i returns nothing
function GetUnitAttackType1 takes unit u returns integer
function GetUnitAttackType2 takes unit u returns integer
//unit's weapon type is melee, ranged, splash, artillery, etc
function SetUnitWeaponType takes unit u, integer i returns nothing
function GetUnitWeaponType takes unit u returns integer
function SetUnitGreenBonusDamage takes unit u, integer i returns nothing
function GetUnitGreenBonusDamage takes unit u returns integer
function SetUnitDamageDicesSideCount takes unit u, integer i returns nothing
function GetUnitDamageDicesSideCount takes unit u returns integer
function SetUnitDamageDicesCount takes unit u, integer i returns nothing
function GetUnitDamageDicesCount takes unit u returns integer
function SetUnitAttackRange1 takes unit u, real r returns nothing
function GetUnitAttackRange1 takes unit u returns real
function SetUnitModel takes integer uiobjectaddr, string s returns nothing
function SetUnitColorDirectly takes unit u, integer red, integer green, integer blue, integer alpha returns nothing//affects illusions
function GetUnitVertexColorR takes unit u returns integer
function GetUnitVertexColorG takes unit u returns integer
function GetUnitVertexColorB takes unit u returns integer
function GetUnitVertexColorA takes unit u returns integer
function SetSpellBackswing takes ability a, real dur returns nothing
function GetSpellBackswing takes ability a returns real
function SetSpellCastpoint takes ability a, real dur returns nothing
function GetSpellCastpoint takes ability a returns real
function EnableUnitControl takes unit u returns nothing
function DisableUnitControl takes unit u returns nothing
function DisableUnitsMovement takes unit u, boolean disable returns nothing
function SetAbilityDisabled takes integer pAbility, integer count returns nothing
function AddAbilityBaseCooldown takes ability a, real seconds returns nothing
function AddAbilityCooldown takes ability a, real seconds returns nothing
function GetAbilityMaxLevel takes integer abil returns integer
function SetAbilCastTime takes ability abil ,real r returns nothing
function GetAbilCastTime takes ability abil returns real
function GetAbilityCD takes integer abil, integer level returns real
function SetAbilityCD takes integer abil, integer level, real cool returns nothing
function GetAbilityManaCost takes integer abil, integer level returns integer
function SetAbilityManaCost takes integer abil, integer level, integer cost returns nothing
function SetHeroPrimaryAttribute takes unit u, integer i returns nothing
function GetHeroPrimaryAttribute takes unit u returns integer
function SetUnitPhased takes unit u returns nothing
function SetUnitTypeId takes unit u, integer i returns nothing
function SetUnitArmor takes unit u, real r returns nothing
function GetUnitArmor takes unit u returns real
function SetUnitFlags takes unit u, integer i returns nothing
function GetUnitFlags takes unit u returns integer
they have to be part of next patch

Level 5
Just the things we managed to implement by ourselves

Great summary, DracoL1ch :smile:
Well, here increase more codec to this list
JASS:
//
function SetSpecialEffect takes effect e, string modelName returns nothing
function ShowUnitExpBars takes unit u, boolean flag returns nothing
function SetEffectAnimation takes effect e, string whichAnimation returns nothing
function UnitResetCooldownAbility takes integer abil, unit u returns nothing //also spells items
function SetMinimapArtBlp takes string iconMapPath returns nothing
function GetMinimapArtBlp takes nothing returns string
//unit's weapon type is melee, ranged, splash, artillery, etc
function GiveUnitControlForPlayer takes unit u, player p, boolean flag returns nothing
function DesactiveUnitRegenerationMana takes unit u, boolean flag returns nothing
function IsUnitRegenerationManaDesactive takes unit u returns boolean
function DesactiveUnitRegenerationLife takes unit u, boolean flag returns nothing
function IsUnitRegenerationLifeDesactive takes unit u returns boolean
function SetUnitScaleYZ takes unit u, real y, real z returns nothing
function GetUnitScaleX takes unit u returns real
function GetUnitScaleY takes unit u returns real
function GetUnitScaleZ takes unit u returns real
function GetUnitArmorBase takes unit u returns real
function SetUnitArmorBase takes unit u, real r returns nothing
function SetAbilityPositionX takes integer pability, integer x returns nothing
function SetAbilityPositionY takes integer pability, integer y returns nothing
function GetAbilityPositionX takes integer pability returns integer
function GetAbilityPositionY takes integer pability returns integer

Greetings...

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I'm pretty sure most computers nowadays can run a game that was made in 2002 at over 60 fps.
Not if the frame rate is tied to the actual game mechanics. For example running sonic 1 at 5,000 frames per second, something really possible now, will be unplayable as the game will operate and nearly 100 times speed.

You might find Warcraft III updates 60 times a second and each update can cause a display composition to occur.

Level 4
Heres an Idea... a Save load Code that's easy to do... So players can make save load Games better Or.. you know? *trys to think* Oh.. a way so you can protect the maps and can never unprotect them, to prevent being stolen.. unless you know like a code that the map was given so you have access to the map.. you know? like i protect booty bay with the program.. it gives me a code say, 123456789, and it tells me its important if i need to un protect it.. And cant be acessed in the world editor, unless you know the code or the creator gave you the code to help with the map.. make seance?

Level 19
Well, save load codes are something... I hadn't thought off. I don't know how you could make such systems easier though.

About the second. As long as it's ridable in some way by the editor, it might be cracked. This is something that bothers all of us. But I guess the rule of science creation and publication applies here... and I quote:
"When you do a scientific investigation paper and publish it, this paper stop belong to you as individual and belongs to all humanity as a piece of common knowledge. That doesn't mean people don't have to quote you when they use them, but rather that you can't call this creation yours anymore".
I guess this rule should be learned by people, so that they give credits for reworks.

Level 19
whoa, another things:

Trackables. Fix their API: allow to move, destroy and locally assign them, fix GetTriggerPlayer, etc etc. Currently they are tottally useless except few cases.

GetTriggerPlayer. Whenever I control a unit, which actually belong to another player, it still returns unit's owner as TriggerPlayer. We need another native to get a REAL source of the order given.

Blend masks. Current blend masks cannot be multilicated, they are always override each other and isn't designed to work like other objects do. We need them as objects, not plain global mask.

GetEventDamage. We need the access for all properties of the damage - damage type and weapon type, initial damage amount. Allow us to change final damage amount as well, effectively changing it for GetEventDamage as well.

Squelch & ignore - add another bing "mute" and allow to use it with player's slot number (1-16) instead of full names.

Im sure none of that will be ever done, but my 5 cents are still here

Level 21
i hope that they enable editing of command cards so that for example more construction lists can be accessed without heavy modding. i also hope that they increase maximum map sizes and makes the game upload the map to the server in order to enable faster download.(peer to peer could also be improved so that everybody shares the parts of the map that they have downloaded and not just the host.) they should also fix the bugged abilities like charge(gold and lumber) which is unable to accept requirements.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

I have only one request: fix memory leaks.

That is, a garbage collector should be built in that will automatically destroy handles that have no existing pointers to them. This is a feature in basically every single modern language.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
This is a feature in basically every single modern language.
Only in quite high level languages or as an optional features. Reference counters add overhead.

its actually how it works now
Only for the handle indexes. The objects themselves do not get garbage collected. Hence why location and group leaks are a big problem.

Level 4
We need native functions to have a control over Z-coordinate of game camera, native to get Location's Z-coordinate with no involved location (it should take just real X and real Y).

As you know, camera is moving over a specific plane, which feels like smoothed landscape mesh.

Camera coordinate Z is counted from a point on a "camera plane" but not from a point on a landscape. This causes several bugs while camera is near a cliff.

Needed function could be something like this:
JASS:
native GetCameraPlaneZ takes real X, real, Y returns real //This should return Z-coordinate of projection of a point on the "camera plane"

There is a similar mask for flying units and it causes similar issue.

Needed function could be something like this:
JASS:
native GetUnitPlaneZ takes real X, real, Y returns real //This should return Z-coordinate of projection of a point on the "unit plane".

So that we could obtain better control over the camera and on another calculations. Otherwise you might need to write enormous system to do that.

Last edited:
Level 17
Wait, about the reference handle counter, this is unnecessary now ?!

JASS:
local location loc = Location(0,0)
call RemoveLocation(loc)
set loc = null // no need ?
I thought it was true only for functions argument :

JASS:
function Test takes location loc returns nothing
   call RemoveLocation(loc)
   set loc = null // no need last time i checked
endfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.