• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 2 v1.6

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: supertoinkz
This is a total conversion of Warcraft 3 to Warcraft 2 made by me in order to provide a perfect wc2 techtree to Linaze's project. Every unit, naval combat, rangers, berserkers, ogre mages, paladins, submarines, old wc2 heroes, everything is here. This uses a well balanced map a that allows both ground and naval assaults. Also every tricks from Wc2 is here, like turning a knight invisible, giving him a flame shield and rushing him to enemy units, or casting unholy armor on a zepellin so he can scout the enemy base without beign attacked by enemy towers lol (read the quest menu for more information about these tricks). This map is still a BETA, and many things can change. PLEASE, COMMENT! Your comments are very important to me, so I can know what you think about the map, and if necessary, fix bugs.

Features:
- Same status and prices from wc2. The game is exactly as if you were playing wc2 in a 3-D version.
- Full Naval combat, including oil tankers and submarines.
- All old wc2 heroes avaliable.
- Capturable Points, like Circles of Power, Runestones, etc.

This map is Open Source, you can edit and republish it as you wish, but please dont forget to mention that I created the map, and you modified ;)

Model Credits:

Human Town Hall - Myself. Dont tell me its bad because this model is still a beta :p

Human Castle - Feleer

Orc Barracks, Orc Lumber Mill, Orc Blacksmith, Orc Altar of Storms, Orc Great Hall, Dragoon Roost - Red XIII

Ballista - Happy Tauren

Catapult - Kitabatake

Elven Ranger - General Frank

Mage Tower - Tranquil

Stables - Mechanical Man

Explosion Effects - Willthealmight

Ships - Wolverine, JEDI_Knight, _ViRus_, Hexus, ScorpioT1000, Feleer.

Trees - Webster

Church - Ket

Alleria - Hueter

Death Knight - Nekrokenis

If I dont added somebody's name on this list, its because I dont know who made the model. If you know who did the Elven Archer, Gnomish Submarine, Sea Turtle, and Gnomish Inventor, please, tell me so I can credit them.

Screenshoots:

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/2161/54998925.jpg
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9122/33140405.jpg

Keywords:
Wc2, Warcraft 2
Contents

Warcraft 2 v1.6 (Map)

Reviews
15:18, 2nd May 2009 by bounty hunter2: Two people have warned about crashes, consider finding the problem, leaks perhaps, and fix it. Then update the map, until then, Rejected.

M

15:18, 2nd May 2009 by bounty hunter2:
Two people have warned about crashes, consider finding the problem, leaks perhaps, and fix it. Then update the map, until then, Rejected.

Level 17
Wc2 Tides of Darkness 1.2 is a map that tries to convert the gameplay of Warcraft 2 using the Warcraft 3 engine.

The terrain was overall pretty bad. The trees didn't fit in with the tileset, and floating rocks appeared quite frequently. The height elevation was also much too high. It really needs a good deal of work with the smooth tool.

The game was converted into Warcraft 2 quite nicely, although the idea is no longer original at all. A large complaint here was that the game crashed both times while I was playing.

Rating: Unrated (due to crash), and not recommended for approval.

My Recommendations:

Fix the crash.
Change the model on the trees.
Improve the terrain.

Level 15
not talking 'bout crashes:
1) i researched Exorcism, but my Paladin appers to have different exorcism spell, which still requires research (requires Priest Adept Training and still retains Desipel Magic's icon)
2) its Paladin not Pallidan
3) the Castle model you used isnt more like the WC2 one, than the original WC3 one - why use it then?
4) some models lack portrait/camera
5) better use High Elven Barracks for mage tower, than the tower u used. it's more like WC2
6) ah, almost forgot:
Paladin has no mana pool!!! he can only cast spells with a cheatcode...
7) trees are not warcraftish - better use original ones
8) same goes for ballista
9) passive icons for active ablities/upgrades (ranger's sight upgrade for example) - it's a little annoying
10) in WC2 weapon/armour upgrades weren't bound to town hall tier, if i remember, but thats not important.

Didnt have the chance to test human side more, 'cos the game crashed...

P.S. I'm absolutely sure there was a mage-on-foot model on hive, maybe even 2 models... they suit better for mage than sorceress

gotta test orcs now =)

EDIT: Orcs tested:
1) dragons should be green
2) AI's gone mad - it builds barracks on every single empty piece of land!!!
3) dragon roost model ain't better than the original WC3 one
4) blizzard/D&D costed 25 to cast and then drained mana for the duration in WC2. if u dont use the mana drain mechanic, then reduce duration or increase mana cost. otherwise these spells are too cool for their mana cost
5) Ogre Magi have no mana too!!!
6) Haste & bloodlust must be 'cannot target self'
7) the game lags 'cos of AI's countless Barracks!
8) Whirlwind - must have 'Locust' and 'Wander' to be more of WC2
9) Death Knight initially had Death and Decay, though it wasn't researched yet!
10) Giant Turtle has an ability Submerge, which instantly kills it!!!
11) Unholy Armour appers above the target's head
12) its Troll Destroyer, not Orc Destroyer
13) better use original WC2 upgrade names, for both humans and orcs. those Thorium/Mithril/Arcanite/etc. doesnt go well with WC2
14) there was no CDs in WC2

I understand that this aint finished version, but wanted to make a little review. tbh, i'd give it a 2.5/5 or 3/5

Last edited:
Level 15
elf archer/ranger now misses model.
also you may want to change missile arc of fireball spell as well as catapult, battleship and juggernaut attack - the misile 'hides' in the ground texture =)

+ remove teleport animation from bridges and fix the range - the ship ports being like 500 squares away from the bridge and appears 500 squares away on the other side

+ no crashes now! =))

Level 1
Actually I believe that now, with the lore and all dragons should be red.
They are the children of the red dragon queen right?

I also can't play it, it don't appear in my map list.And its not the only one too, I remember it happened before but I can't remember how I solved it.

I wish great luck with the project.

Level 10
elf archer/ranger now misses model.
also you may want to change missile arc of fireball spell as well as catapult, battleship and juggernaut attack - the misile 'hides' in the ground texture =)

+ remove teleport animation from bridges and fix the range - the ship ports being like 500 squares away from the bridge and appears 500 squares away on the other side

+ no crashes now! =))

Oh! Thanks again, dude!

About the not able to open map thing, I am sure this is due the filename size. Try reducing it. I'll reduce the size on next version. (I hope It can be released on the next 24hours)

Im'sorry everyone for updating all these full of non-working shit. Its because sometimes I dont notice the wrong things while tests.

Level 1
So, just played as human and my only complaints (for now :D) are:
If you need any help with lore, please tell me.I'll help as much as I can.
-When you do the Paladin upgrade (which I think is mispelled, although my original language isn't english) you can't train paladins anymore.EDIT:Exorcism asks for "Priest Adept Training"

-My second complaint are the models, although they clearly aren't top priority most of the new ones you used don't look really good.I loved the Castle but I think that the Town Hall/Keep/Castle should look more like each other, like the in game ones.
And you could certainly use http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=121013&prev=search%3Delven%2520ballista%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20] for the Ballista

-I also loved how you made units smaller and buildings larger ^^

-I suggest you use the Chaplain/Priest model for the Mage, they were from Dalaran which mostly consists of human magi.

-The elven destroyer temporarily disappears when turning around to attack.

Last edited:
Level 15
Actually I believe that now, with the lore and all dragons should be red.
They are the children of the red dragon queen right?

Yeah, according to lore, yes. But this is recreation of WC2, so i think everything should be as much as similiar to WC2.

Btw, Uther should use knight/bandit lord/garithos model (he was mounted in WC2) and Khadgar should use human mage model (i suggest using http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=50460&prev=search%3Dmage%2520on%2520foot%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20 for regular mage and http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=50459&prev=search%3Dmage%2520on%2520foot%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20 for Khadgar)

Level 1
Features:

* A single player campaign with several missions of different kinds and genres that tells the story of the second war.

From Linaze's page.So the Campaign isn't necessarily a recreation of WC2, instead it tells the story of the Second War.Which with the lore retcons had Red Dragons, no Green Dragons.

Level 15
as i get it, this particualr map is "warcraft 2 broought to warcraft 3", with no story, but instead simply trying to bring the ol' good flawless 2D masterwork to 3D =))
lore is irrelevant here. its all about atmosphere =)))

Level 1
Well the description says its for Linaze's project.
And it feels kinda ankward now with this retcon... maybe its just me

Level 15
Much better, nice.
Male mage with sorceress' voice, not bad =))) also, icon is still sorceress'
Dragon and Gryphon rider should initially have passive 'storm hammers'-based ability with a rather long damage range - you know how it was in WC2
Dragon's icon should be green too, not bronze
Some tooltip mistakes and non-changed tooltips - thats really minor problem imho
Whirlwind's immolation still uses old immolation buff, burning nearby targets with green fire =)
Unholy armour still hangs above the target's head
when i cast Slow on my own unit, it consumes mana but doesnt do anything... slowing your own units is a very sweet way to finish someone off. you know, like 'i'm slowed, but i still beat ya' =))

Level 1
My suggestion for the Mage is this icon:http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=56306&prev=search=mage&d=list&r=20&t=12
and maybe the original sound file...
Or neither of above and use the models suggested by trillium.

You still can't train Paladins when you do the Paladin Research.

As said above Whirlwind still has the green fire immolation effect.

When you use Polymorph (I used it on the enemy Gul'dan) the target seems to be permanently transformed into a sheep

I believe Slow shouldn't be usable on allies.

And I still think Dragons would look way better and lorewise as red...

I also suggest something like:
Player A gets Caster Hero, Player B gets Caster Hero too.
Same about Flying heroes and melee heroes.

Level 15
polymorph was permanent in WC2, no? even if no, 99.99% of polymorphed targets are usually one-shotted right after polymorph, as they should

all spells were useable on both allies and enemies, it was a fun element to make laugh of your opponent - like cast bloodthirst on last enemy unit before zerging him with peons and such =)))

lets not turn this thread into dragon color discussion =)))

Level 1
Oh right...sorry I forgot :p

And... go go red!! :D

But look, now the units may cluster together and you may end up polymorphing your own unit.Doesn't seem good to me.

Level 15
maybe, maybe, but i found it fun to cast polymorph and invisibility on my own hero...
had to bombard my whole base with blizzard to kill him and resurrect =DDDD

fortunately, that was single-player =DDDD

Level 4
ultimate big bug found!!!!

i found an ultimate big bug, a bug so huge, that make game poorest ever... nah it a joke, but i really found a bug, when you are researching paladin, knight just deasapear from barrack and paladin don't appear !!! then you cant make paladin and knight

Level 1
There is also a bug with the "capture" trigger, it says "Player X captured the circle" each time a unit goes into it.