1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Campaign] Warcraft 2: The remake

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by LordPerenoldeII, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I'm really excited to hear you got the Oil Problem figured out!

I'm quite curious; how was it done?

2. deadmaniac

deadmaniac

Resources:
    Resources:
    is the campaign playable yet? I couldn't find it in under "Maps & Resources" but I'd love to give it a shot asap.

3. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Loktar broke the code. But it still needs a final touch, and the man has been missing for over a month.

No, not yet. Beta testing is proving more demanding than expected.

4. Vanza Crandle

Vanza Crandle

Resources:
    Resources:
    Beta Testing? Are there any openings to help with Beta Testing, your Lordship? Pardon me if I sound too bold, for a noob. I would love to try to help. I've always wanted to see Warcraft 2 properly remade for Warcraft 3, and I loved your Warcraft 1 campaign.

I'd love to try and give back to his community that has helped me so much over the years. (I sent you a message on skype with further details of who and what I am. I also sent one via conversation.)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  5. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    UPDATE:
    Seems due, as i've been gone dark for a little while now(and i apologize).

So so so, by testing the human campaign i've been aware of a moltitude of incorrections, ai problems, etc that i managed to fix.
    I've re-tweaked all of the damage/armor system and it's working correctly now. Pretty amazed by that myself.
    I had to balance some spells, and the corrections are as follows:
    - Bloodlust/Healing: In warcraft 2 it used to technically TRIPLE the attack rolls of a unit. By tripling the attack speed(is basically the same concept) the ai attacks become insanely devastating. If we look at the Paladin's Healing spell, it is ridiculously weak in comparison: 10hp healed for 60 mana is stupid. So what i did was setting the Bloodlust to "only" double the attack speed, and halving the mana cost for Healing spell.

- Polymorph: another insane spell that litterally takes an enemy unit out of the game permanently by turning into a creep, and from a huge distance too. What i did here was to set the duration of the spell to "just" 10 minutes. During this time the sheep can be killed of course. Some subfactions in the enhanced edition will have the Dispel Magic, or something similar if not, and it will be very useful for this instance.

- Invisibility: this spell, or ability for units such as Shadowmeld, also Submarines etc. will be crucial in this remake, expecially in the Enhanced mode, because of the dynamic of some units and the day/night transition that will trigger some Shadowmeld-able units.
    Flying machine and Scout Towers will have a limited range of detection, due to their cheapness and usage flexibility. Submarines will have a greater range of detection, and lastly Gryphons/Dragons/Daemons will have the top of the range.
    The spell lasts 60 seconds and the mana cost has been reduced from 200 to 150 to better encourage players to use it.

- Raise Dead: one of the least used spells in the game, along perhaps with Unholy Armor. This spell will raise 2 skeletons instead of 1, so to incite human players to research the Exorcism spell.

- Unholy Armor: I had this spell in the wc1 remake and it used to work perfectly, but it was unfortunately a Trigger-spell, so it couldn't be removed with Dispel Magic. This is one of the few buffs in this game and suppressing spells will also be a pillar element of some subfactions in the Enhanced mode. As a matter of fact i'm making this spell resemblant to the Inner Fire: it will max any unit's armor, but because the unit will still suffer 1 damage from any attack it will also heal it over time for 10hp to counter this downside.

Now, moving to the economy: another element of warcraft 2 not possible to 100% replicate.
    In warcraft 2 workers spend 4 seconds inside a mine, and 4 seconds inside a Town Hall during the resource gathering process. Although it would seem slow, the player could send an "unlimited" number of workers at once into a single mine, without one waiting for the other to come out first. I could set a simultaneous cargo possibility too, but in warcraft 3 workers make an instant drop-and-go to the Town Hall/Saw Mill, and it cannot be changed, so it would disrupt the economy rhytm. Hence I had to balance this up making calculations of resource trains over a pre-fixed amount of time, and the final result was setting the "mining time" to approximately 0.90 seconds and the gold harvested to 50 units per trip. This is the closest remake for warcraft 2 economy, as the standard for Warcraft 3, as i said, was too much disrupting.

Last but not least(i might have forgot something along the way) i'm officially "enhancing" the human campaign. The reason is that the mpq doesn't have custom orc techtrees yet, and if i move to the orc campaign now i'll end up doing a double job. In this way, as i progress through it, i can create orcish subfaction, finish the campaign and THEN using the fully customized 100% complete mpq for the Orc campaign.
    Because of the need to explain the many units that the player is going to get as he progresses through the Enhanced mode, with its diversity of subfactions, displaying hints would be excessively long and flooding, so i though of this little trick and reorganized the Optional Quest Tab into an Encyclopedia updating map after map. :) Doesn't it look nice?

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for more updates to come!.....or maybe not. :p

6. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Cool!

7. Vanza Crandle

Vanza Crandle

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ah, most impressive, your Lordship. Very well done.

8. PiesOfNorth

PiesOfNorth

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi, I'm liking how you have the proper war2 icons in here. I couldn't find them elsewhere. Would you be able to upload the orc icons?

9. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I made them all myself from the original game. I still haven't done any of the orc ones, though.

10. Ciprian

Ciprian

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hello. Any news? Is it possible that we could play the human campaign till Christmas?

11. Ciprian

Ciprian

Resources:
    Resources:
    Still nothing? Anyone here?

12. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'll be short: i'm facing heavy pressures from different situations in my life: i'll soon change house, change city and change work, so i'm planning all the necessary moves because the stakes are high and if i mess this up i'm screwed. Put it that way.
    I'm also dealing with Esport business that are keeping me busy in the mean time hobby-wise; So i'd say i shall HOPEFULLY take the project back next week.
    Sorry for the lack of updates: I've been in the deepest sh*t since late September.

13. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Tekken world champion 2020

14. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Someone still remembers, i see. xD