• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War3 Remastered rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there have been a lot of rumors about War3 Remastered being revealed this month, what do you think?

I personally find it a bad idea, I hope they won't lock away widescreen resolution settings away for remastered people only like they did with SC Remastered. I am also horrified if they are going to make a profit out of this, WC3 Remastered should be given free to previous owners of War3.

Honestly, I do not give a damn.
If they give me wc3 remastered I will instantly buy it regardless, and get whatever feature they want to hide behind a paywall.

Isn't that a bit.. extreme? What if they decide to add skins to multiplayer? EA recently did something similar, but with loot crates, well.. let me just say that it didn't turn out so well. Same thing happened to Dawn of War 3 and look where it's now - discontinued and dead, it was a flop.

They can take all my money as long as they update graphics\models to sc2\hots level

So you would pay for pretty graphics slapped on? What's stopping you from modding the game yourself? You can rip high-poly WoW models and use them. I'm also against this because it would ruin the integrity of a classic, having been used to War3's graphical style it would be hard to accept shit cartoon design slapped on from SC2.

Isn't that a bit.. extreme? What if they decide to add skins to multiplayer? EA recently did something similar, but with loot crates, well.. let me just say that it didn't turn out so well. Same thing happened to Dawn of War 3 and look where it's now - discontinued and dead, it was a flop.

So you would pay for pretty graphics slapped on? What's stopping you from modding the game yourself? You can rip high-poly WoW models and use them. I'm also against this because it would ruin the integrity of a classic, having been used to War3's graphical style it would be hard to accept shit cartoon design slapped on from SC2.
I'm doing it I'm a member of Armies Of Azeroth mod :)

Reactions: pyf

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Let's be real, a lot of people have tried to make WC3 HD on their own by mashing a lot of good models together.
It does not work because they have different art styles.
Unlike if Blizzard does it (or some insanely committed modder)

Theoretically, yes we can do it on our own. But I would gladly pay for updated models and textures, yes. Sc2-ish models would be very welcome.

Really? That's awesome. So.. why on earth would you pay for that?
As Chaosy replied.. It is hard for us to do ourselves , yes we can do it but it takes alot of time and fitting models together , bug fix them only to see they have another bugs , having nearly no material for some models and sculpting texturing them ( ancient of wonders for example ) and again only to see one hell of doodads that are still left to do ... It is alot easier to pay blizzard while keep doing our models but having their remaster as a base

Level 20
So there have been a lot of rumors about War3 Remastered being revealed this month, what do you think
You're talking about rumors based on the fact that some streamers were flying someone for some Blizzard event?

Well, we finally know what it is:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762026715#1

So yeah, it seems unlikely that they will announce anything during that event.
I believe they're just hosting a W3 tournament to promote the 1.29 patch.

Level 11
If I were Blizzard I'lld not pay those streamers visas etc just to say here you have a ptr patch , I still think they'll announce wc3 remastered
It's quite a huge patch though. With a great deal of changes incoming, in the melee ladder as well as in the modding/mapping business.
But who knows? Wait & see :cwink:

Level 11
I've less than zero interest in higher res models/textures, but I am interested in more people playing wc3.

IIRC starcraft and its remaster can be played together, so as long as it's the same for wc3, then I'm happy.

Level 7
Remastered is a horrible idea. It'd completely invalidate all the hard work the modelers and texture artists here in the Hive did. And then there'd be a demand for high-resolution versions of their models, and I HIGHLY doubt they'd want to go through all that again.

No. Warcraft 3 is better off NOT remastered. Just updated.

Level 11
Remastered is a horrible idea. It'd completely invalidate all the hard work the modelers and texture artists here in the Hive did. And then there'd be a demand for high-resolution versions of their models, and I HIGHLY doubt they'd want to go through all that again.

No. Warcraft 3 is better off NOT remastered. Just updated.
Actually no.
If remaster would cost a few dollars, not everyone would have it.
So the old models still have usage.

And the really popular submissions have gotten their value used many times over at this point, nothing I'd cry a river over.

Maybe I really just want decent graphics and am biased.
I suppose it depends on what kind of remaster this would be. A whole revamp with new HD textures etc? This would probably break many models indeed. But I guess it could also be just some graphics tweaks, lighting and shadows improvements, better resolution, antialiasing, etc, along with some major changes like 1.29 (see the thread about patch wish list, there's a lot of stuff that could be added to a remaster! :cgrin:). I would gladly pay for that!
Also, perhaps some textures could be improved without breaking all custom stuff?
As for me, I wouldn't like a full HD remaster with new models and textures. I suppose it would mean not only broken custom models, but also a major change in what we are used to. I wouldn't like playing Warcraft 3 with a HotS or WoW design. It's just not Warcraft 3.

Level 7
I suppose it depends on what kind of remaster this would be. A whole revamp with new HD textures etc? This would probably break many models indeed. But I guess it could also be just some graphics tweaks, lighting and shadows improvements, better resolution, antialiasing, etc, along with some major changes like 1.29 (see the thread about patch wish list, there's a lot of stuff that could be added to a remaster! :cgrin:). I would gladly pay for that!
Also, perhaps some textures could be improved without breaking all custom stuff?
As for me, I wouldn't like a full HD remaster with new models and textures. I suppose it would mean not only broken custom models, but also a major change in what we are used to. I wouldn't like playing Warcraft 3 with a HotS or WoW design. It's just not Warcraft 3.

It's not that the custom stuff would be "broken." It'd be that the custom stuff no longer fits because they're still using the original game's polygon count. It wouldn't fit with the new one, thus necessitating remakes of pretty much every popular resource on the Hive. Which, THAT would never happen.

Besides, Skyrim Special Edition is a grand example why a game that's so heavily modded should never be re-released in a 64-bit superior version. It ends up splitting the modding community apart.

Level 11
It's not that the custom stuff would be "broken." It'd be that the custom stuff no longer fits because they're still using the original game's polygon count. It wouldn't fit with the new one, thus necessitating remakes of pretty much every popular resource on the Hive. Which, THAT would never happen.
Yeah, but again, it depends on what they would do. Only replacing textures with full HD textures? Or also changing meshes and everything?
I'm no expert in modelling, but I suppose replacing textures might cause broken models, because textures won't fit anymore. But if they change everything, you're completely right, and in that case, a full HD remaster would be very disappointing.
Higher res textures (if they don't break custom models) + some other graphics tweaks like those I mentioned above would totally suffice imho.

I'lld like to see a full hd remaster in WoW or Hots design otherwise it is not worth a dolar though it will never happen and is up to us the modders as always thanks to Blizzard , they keep disappointing us...
Hey, chill, mate! This is a 15 year-old game we're talking about, and they're still updating it. WC3 fans should all rejoice for that! Plus, they haven't asked for a single dollar yet. We're not even sure a remaster will happen. Don't be ungrateful, just enjoy what you have here :)

Last edited:
Level 7
Yeah, but again, it depends on what they would do. Only replacing textures with full HD textures? Or also changing mesh and everything?
I'm no expert in modelling, but I suppose replacing textures might cause broken models, because textures won't fit anymore. But if they change everything, you're completely right, and in that case, a full HD remaster would be very disappointing.
Higher res textures (if they don't break custom models) + some other graphics tweaks like those I mentioned above would totally suffice imho.

It'd be a complete replacement. Meshes AND textures. That's what people are clamoring for, and that's what Blizzard would do since the PS1 era meshes don't meet modern standards of quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.