• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War3 Model Editor

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
//MOD EDIT// - PLEASE CHECK "UPDATE 2" below before posting if you have ISSUES USING MAGOS

This Model Editor is not made by me, but is made by Magos.

War3 Model Editor is as the name suggests a Model Viewer and a Model Editor dedicated to Warcraft 3. It supports both loading and saving of .mdl and .mdx model formats which are used in Warcraft 3. It also supports .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp texture formats.

There is a built-in MPQ Browser that allows you to browse any MPQ archive, which also includes Warcraft 3 map files (.w3m and .w3x). The MPQ Browser has been optimized for speed and is very fast to load and use. The Browser is customizable so you can add/remove your own icons and filters.

Features

* Model Viewer
* Model Editor
* Geoset Importing/Exporting
* Can save/load the model formats *.mdl and *.mdx
* Can save/load the texture formats .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp
* Can import other model formats (importers stored in DLLs)
* Ability to convert between the model formats
* Ability to convert between the texture formats
* MPQ Browser (very fast loading)
* Support for custom listfiles
* Support for custom MPQ filters & icons

Extras

* Loading Screen Creator
* A tool to create colored text for Warcraft 3

Supported Importers

* md2 (Quake 2)
* ms3d (Milkshape)

UPDATE 1 //by Rui​

Hey people, it's Rui. I have updated the tool to v1.07 and added some keywords for searching. Enjoy!

UPDATE 2 //by Khyrberos​

In recent years, both with modern OSes & with Reforged, W3ME might require a few adjustments to work properly.

(Made redundant by update 3)
One common issue over the years was missing DLLs; as described in this post by Hero_Lief and this message by Pyf, the DirectX Installer can be downloaded here. (Alternatively, as Hermit describes here, you can Google & download the specific file 'd3dx_9.dll' needed by W3ME.)

(Doesn't apply to beta v1.08)
A new issue with 1.30+ is its use of the CASC data system, replacing the old MPQ system. As described by Hermit in this post, you will need to have/find a copy of the old MPQs & put them where War3 Model Editor can find them in order for it to work properly. It appears 1.28 files work the best in v1.07

UPDATE 3 //by BogdanW3​

The v1.07 zip has been repacked to include the dll needed to make it run without having to install the DirectX runtime, thank you to @Dr Super Good for noting that that's the proper way to do things now with deprecation of Direct3D9 taking place.

You can now also download a new version, v1.08 beta, which was updated by me (@BogdanW3) and has some nice new, albeit still to be thoroughly tested, features:

* Edit texture paths directly from the textures window (no need for MDL for this)
* Support for v1000 (1.32) and v1100 (1.33, only loading for now) SD MDX models
* DDS texture support
* Hierarchical loading of textures (a texture referenced as tga in a model will no longer fail to load if the file is for example blp)
* Loading assets from CASC (no CASC browser at this time due to library limitations)
* 24 team colours
* Replaceable IDs 36 and 37, as well as a few more event objects are added from entries in the game data (thank you @Hermit)
* And more!

Feel free to contact me if there's any bugs or regressions you wish to report. MagosX has given me permission to post it, so I would like to thank him for that as well as making a great model editor with a very readable codebase!
This version currently works best with 1.29 MPQs or 1.31+ CASC.
Requires the 64-bit Visual C++ 2015 runtime.

PS, applies to all versions of W3ME:​

To set up the War3 Model Editor to load data (be it MPQs, or CASC in v1.08) from a specific folder, you will want to set up the string Registry value InstallPath in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\ to point to the Warcraft 3 data folder you wish to use.
For a more step-by-step explanation, check this comment by StormKnight.

Keywords:
warcraft, 3, III, magos, w3me, editor, model, war3, wc3, mdx
Contents

War3 Model Editor v1.07 (Binary)

War3 Model Editor v1.08 (64-bit, beta) (Binary)

Reviews
PurplePoot: Approved for extreme usefulness, whether as a mapper or a modeler.
Level 1
umm, i sound like an idiot.. but how do i dowload this..? lol, like i extract the file thing, and then what?? where do i copy paste it to?

Level 4
"This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix this problem." This is what happens when I try to run the program. Any suggestions on what's wrong? I've re-downloaded this 4 times now in hopes something changed, yet nothing has.

PLEASE P.M. me or post back to tell me what's wrong or if you can give me one that you have that works.

same here, I don't get it.

Level 1
I don't recall if I've stated this before, but this tool is awesome. Even if you have problems with it, figure out how to run this one, because you won't find any you like better.

Level 1
<_< Here are some useful tips for you guys accumilated throughout this thread since the first time I checked it out back in God knows when.

Kimberly said:
NOTE: Make sure you have the latest TFT patch, this does not work with ROC and make sure you have the latest Direct X to avoid errors.

Common Errors:
"This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix this problem."

"Unable to retrieve Direct3D capibilities!"

"Unable to open war3patch"

A reinstallation of DirectX and a computer restart fixed the second problem. I believe having the latest version of DirectX and TFT should fix the first problem. Another solution to a common problem people overlook is presented by Needles:

Step 1. go to (where you installed game) COPY all of the seen MPQ files (e.g. = war3.mpq, war3Patch.mpq, war3x.mpq, war3xLocal.mpq)
(may take a few seconds)

Step 2. go to C:\\Program Files\(create [or go to] a Folder called Warcraft III" (IN THE C:\\Program Files\ DIRECTORY!!!)

Step 3.Now, Right Click and go to PASTE
... Waiting... Waiting... And...Your done!

Step 4.Now run WC3 MDL EDTR and it should work...
if not then continue

Step 5.(if needed) (now if it didint work i MIGHT be able to help you still) go to C:\\Program Files\ and Create a NEW FOLDER called "Blizzard entertainment" then CUT/DRAG "Warcraft III"

You'll have to copy these three files to wherever you downloaded the program. The files are the bulk of the game if I recall correctly, so it might take a little while.

Gronn's only post on the site explains how to get around a common 'blank screen' error. I personally have no idea what he's talking about, but here's for those who'd like to see his explanation:

And for those who get a blank screen: click &quot;windows&quot; and then &quot;MPQ Browser&quot; then &quot;file&quot; and &quot;war3.mpq&quot; to get your hands on Warcraft 3 models.

Similarly, OlloX3 said:
ehh everyone all needs War3Patch.mpq if yall dont have it doesnt work someone sends the patch to me and my works now

DarkRane's answer to Texture, which I figured out ages ago:
Each texture in warcraft 3 has it's path within mpq archives, which we can find out in <texture manager> of this model editor. So, we just paint our own texture, then import it into Warcraft 3 World Editor, then at <import manager> we should change the path of our texture to a path of the texture we want to substitute...

VectorxMan has another explanation for the oh-so-dreaded gray box which I 'know' is true.
And for everyone who says "its just a gray box, how do I import a model?", you also need warcraft 3 viewer in order to extract the .mdx file from blizzard models. Modeling takes multiple programs

I don't recall how I got mine to work, as it was over 2 years ago since I last used this program; however, I recall figuring many of the solutions above out to get it to work. It's not difficult. Stop complaining, please.

Level 15
Level 9
The best tool for model makers or map makers!!!
This deserves everything because i find it EXTREMELY USEFUL...
100/5
+REP
Sry for not giving it before!

Level 1
Help please

This application has failed to start because d3dx9_35.dll was not found. Re-installing this apllication might fix this problem.

can someone tell me how to fix this?

Level 9
IT'S ENORMOUS HOW MANY MORONS THERE ARE IN THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it! Every single idiot has asked the same question over and over! Do you people EVER, FUCKING, READ?!
I would agree, however they are learning. These things are easy to solve, but for that reason, so many questions have been asked. We should really make a FAQ for War3 Model Editor.

Level 1
Maybe I'm too lazy to read through 20 some posts but I have read through a lot of them and didn't find a question or answer that I am looking for.
I can open models fine after using obj to mdx tool to convert my .3ds file to mdx. But after I use the save/save as function from war3 model editor v1.07 I can't open the mdx again. mdx error = "Expected a "UVAS" tag, got a "" tag!"
mdl error = "Something something expected "}" got """ or something like that... I didn't edit the text or anything outside of the editor.. any suggestions as to whats wrong?
edit: I tried to export arthas.mdx from the mpq browser and open it, save it, and open again and no error... maybe a problem with custom model/ obj-mdx converter?

Level 1
Exact message for mdx "Expected a "UVAS" tag, got a "" tag!"
Exact message for mdl "Unable to load "C:\...\...\Model.mdl", expected "}", got " " in group "Geoset"!"
So missing code from the obj/3ds to mdx possibly?
I can open the model after the conversion and edit it and things but after I save it (I can still edit after I save it) and try to open it again I get one of the two messages above. I saved the arthas.mdx model from the mpq and tried to open it and it works fine so probably the converter.

EDIT: using mdlx converter to change the mdx to mdl before saving it in model editor fixes the problem.. little inconvenient but its all good :)

Last edited:
Level 1
By Pedro Gasparini : Not Work

This model editor not work my warcraft is "pirate" or cracked. What i need to do? I need have the original warcraft?
Esse editor de modelos nao funciona, meu warcraft é pirata cou crackeado. O que tenho ke fazer?^Eu preciso ter o warcraft original?

Please aswer me
Por favor me respondam:sad::slp::gg::angry::spell_breaker::pal::ned:

Level 9
why cant i open it its says its cant find dx3 or some thing

Go and take a look at this: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1203345-post248.html

This is a common problem.

This model editor not work my warcraft is "pirate" or cracked. What i need to do? I need have the original warcraft?
Esse editor de modelos nao funciona, meu warcraft é pirata cou crackeado. O que tenho ke fazer?^Eu preciso ter o warcraft original?

Please aswer me
Por favor me respondam:sad::slp::gg::angry::spell_breaker::pal::ned:

You should really buy your own game of Warcraft III, but if you want to fix it without the need (which you should get your own), get a registry fixer from here:

www.engamers.com/.../download-warcraft-iii-fixer-w3fixer/

Download the program, and fix it through repairing the registry. Simple.

Level 9
Hey pha0001 i have the same problem but i have buyed my warcraft i can start it anyway how can that be
I am not sure, probably you have reinstalled your OS which may have erased the registry, or some other reason that the registry keys for Warcraft III got lost; these are needed so that War3 Model Editor can load them through MPQ and its in-game textures as such.

Repair the registry here with this program, I said it before: http://www.engamers.com/.../download...fixer-w3fixer/
Get it there.

where do i learn to use this tool??
Ask around you or as such, otherwise in general, in the main-strip of War3 Model Editor, Help > Help; you can get some information from there.

Last edited:
Level 7
"This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix this problem." This is what happens when I try to run the program. Any suggestions on what's wrong? I've re-downloaded this 4 times now in hopes something changed, yet nothing has.

PLEASE P.M. me or post back to tell me what's wrong or if you can give me one that you have that works.

....Same here. I don't have that file.

Level 2
Yes this problem with d3d9.dll happened to me on other games. There are two solutions to solve it:
---------
SOLUTION 1 :- Download the missing file (d3d9.dll) from Google and place it where you copied your War3 Model Viewer ;
SOLUTION 2 :- Uninstall Your current DirectX (if you have one installed on your PC), then download DirectX 9.3 or 10 from Google and Update it, just to make sure.
This Worked for me. Hope this helped.

Level 4
Hi, I have done both the solutions that Sharpshoot3r has listed.
but another problem has occurred!
it says

"The procedure entry point MakeCriticalSectionGlobal could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll."

Leena