1. Are you planning to upload your awesome tool to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    July 9, 2018: The rules for the Tool Section have been revised. Please be sure to read the revisions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

War3 Model Editor

Submitted by Magos
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
This Model Editor is not made by me, but is made by Magos.

War3 Model Editor is as the name suggests a Model Viewer and a Model Editor dedicated to Warcraft 3. It supports both loading and saving of .mdl and .mdx model formats which are used in Warcraft 3. It also supports .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp texture formats.

There is a buildt-in MPQ Browser that allows you to browse any MPQ archive, which also includes Warcraft 3 map files (.w3m and .w3x). The MPQ Browser has been optimized for speed and is very fast to load and use. The Browser is customizable so you can add/remove your own icons and filters.

Features
Features

* Model Viewer
* Model Editor
* Geoset Importing/Exporting
* Can save/load the model formats *.mdl and *.mdx
* Can save/load the texture formats .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp
* Can import other model formats (importers stored in DLLs)
* Ability to convert between the model formats
* Ability to convert between the texture formats
* MPQ Browser (very fast loading)
* Support for custom listfiles
* Support for custom MPQ filters & icons

Extras

* Loading Screen Creator
* A tool to create colored text for Warcraft 3

Supported Importers

* md2 (Quake 2)
* ms3d (Milkshape)

{UPDATE}
Hey people, it's Rui. I have updated the tool to v1.07 and added some keywords for searching. Enjoy!

Keywords:
warcraft, 3, III, magos, editor, model, war3, wc3
Contents

War3 Model Editor (Binary)

Reviews
PurplePoot: Approved for extreme usefulness, whether as a mapper or a modeler.
  1. Needles

Needles

Resources:
    Resources:
    it means you installed game to wrong directory... BUT, i do know how to fix it
    HERES how you fix it
    Step 1. go to (where you installed game) COPY all of the seen MPQ files (e.g. = war3.mpq, war3Patch.mpq, war3x.mpq, war3xLocal.mpq)
    (may take a few seconds)

Step 2. go to C:\\Program Files\(create [or go to] a Folder called Warcraft III" (IN THE C:\\Program Files\ DIRECTORY!!!)

Step 3.Now, Right Click and go to PASTE
    ... Waiting... Waiting... And...Your done!

Step 4.Now run WC3 MDL EDTR and it should work...
    if not then continue

Step 5.(if needed) (now if it didint work i MIGHT be able to help you still) go to C:\\Program Files\ and Create a NEW FOLDER called "Blizzard entertainment" then CUT/DRAG "Warcraft III"

2. Verdun

Verdun

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    What can I say, I have the very same problem as qwq1234. And my position to this is about the same, too.

If anyone has an idea how to fight the horrible "hkey_current_user\Blizzard entertainment\warcraft III\installpatch"exists", would be nice.

3. Discohydra

Discohydra

Resources:
    Resources:
    Does This run on vista, or do i have to download it to my network drive and run the install on my XP, then run the actual program on the Vista OS?

4. Diddly

Diddly

Resources:
    Resources:
    Error

A model was opened from wc3 and when "Save As" was clicked on it said
    "C:probram Files\Warcraft III\Nerubian", unknown extention ""!
    and it did not let me save *. If anyone knows how to fix it then please tell me *.
    :sad:

5. Diddly

Diddly

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yay

It is ok restarting it worked *. :grin:

6. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Demonboy, the only way to get what you want is to install the original "WarCraft Reign of Chaos" on your PS It is a bit expensive, but then you can do wonders.:thumbs_up:

7. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm not sure that this runs on Vista. What's wrong with the good ol' XP?:eekani:

8. Discohydra

Discohydra

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, I cant use my XP computer, My mom has kidnapped it! And so, Im left here with my Vista Laptop, doomed to never try modeling.

9. jadegolem

jadegolem

Resources:
    Resources:
    6743457656856758676876586987676556747658768769878098098097678574343232656985456465356565542145465465/2.5 =D you rock

10. come_n_getme

come_n_getme

Resources:
    Resources:
    when i open it, it says:

Unable to open "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\War3x.mpq"!
    Make sure that Warcraft 3 is installed and that the registry key
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\InstallPath* exists!

wuts that mean?

11. Discohydra

Discohydra

Resources:
    Resources:
    Solution

Those of you who have this problem, (Its known as a registry conflict.) Take a look at post #91 (Top of page 7) For the solution.

IT says that because the path that the HK_CU is referring to is broken (It cant find the files) So. You either have to edit the registries (Hard and painful) Or Recreate the path that the file is looking for (What the top of page 7 says)

Good luck with your problems.

12. de_squall

de_squall

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nice software...I will try it more :D

13. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    What are you really doing i wonder, isn't the prgrm using the MDL files? Yo gotta find the converter:grin:

14. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Really, what's the problem with Vista 0_o? too many bugs. ("and they say Blizzard games have bugs") (CryptLord speech, my favorite):grin:

Anyway, you gotta try to negotiate the hostage release. (your comp. from your mom)lol:grin:

PS, rep me please:ned:

15. Navan

Navan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Okay so after 5 hours of this crap I finally was able to install it and get it stop saying it cant open. But now there is a new error message! Something aboot Splat Data. WTF is splat data. I'll tell you what it is. Its designed so that when you open the Art tools the file goes SPLAT. Sorry for the crappy joke its aboot 2:30 AM where I live right now and I just watched that guy who does the 7 words you cant say act like 50 times on youtube along with many other skits.
    But I digress.
    I need help and I need help badly. I want to how to get this thing up and running by at least next week. So if you can, please E-Mail me at (i made this when i was six, don't laugh) chaosknight4242@yahoo.com and plz dont spam me.
    OR you could just be cool and reply to this comment. So ehlp me nao or I will go to your house and beat you with a stick.

16. Navan

Navan

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm talking to you Needles. About the help part not the beating part. Unless your into that.

17. Conny_bengtsson

Conny_bengtsson

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    To all of those who can't change an downloaded model

I discovered after many MANY tries that it's almost impossible to do if it says "can't find Textures\blahblah.blp" but if you change the file format to mdl instead of mdx you may change so that it doesn't use a downloaded texture, but instead as example arthas' texture (Textures\Arthas) then you save. you may then convert it back to mdx and change it all you wich. Then when you are done do the whole prosses backwards make it mdl change the texture name back to the downloaded one and convert it to mdx. You should now have your own modified downloaded model.
    This is just what I wanted to say cause I had a huge problem with this my self.

Thanks for this wonderful Utility btw.
    /Conny

18. Tails Clock

Tails Clock

Resources:
    Resources:
    Okay here's the REAL way to fix that C:warcraftIII\war3patch.mpq hkey_current_user\Blizzard entertainment\warcraft III\installpatch error.
    I tired all previously said methods that did no good at all. Then tried taking all the sutff out of the "War3ModelEditor" folder and putting it into the main War3 folder. It now works with grey screen and all. I also loaded a model I just downloaded to test it and yeah nothing is wrong at all.

19. forzamoto

forzamoto

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

This not work for me but if you can find a way plz tell ^_^ :smile:

20. varsaigen

varsaigen

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Ok, I have loved this program for 6 months now and ONLY NOW do I run into a problem. I can't save or open mdl files. >< Which means i can't use the VertexModifier made by OikerWrinkle either. :/ They both have the same problem, so I was wondering if it was linked. Changing the file location doesn't do anything to help either. :(