• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War3 Model Editor

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
//MOD EDIT// - PLEASE CHECK "UPDATE 2" below before posting if you have ISSUES USING MAGOS

This Model Editor is not made by me, but is made by Magos.

War3 Model Editor is as the name suggests a Model Viewer and a Model Editor dedicated to Warcraft 3. It supports both loading and saving of .mdl and .mdx model formats which are used in Warcraft 3. It also supports .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp texture formats.

There is a built-in MPQ Browser that allows you to browse any MPQ archive, which also includes Warcraft 3 map files (.w3m and .w3x). The MPQ Browser has been optimized for speed and is very fast to load and use. The Browser is customizable so you can add/remove your own icons and filters.

Features

* Model Viewer
* Model Editor
* Geoset Importing/Exporting
* Can save/load the model formats *.mdl and *.mdx
* Can save/load the texture formats .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp
* Can import other model formats (importers stored in DLLs)
* Ability to convert between the model formats
* Ability to convert between the texture formats
* MPQ Browser (very fast loading)
* Support for custom listfiles
* Support for custom MPQ filters & icons

Extras

* Loading Screen Creator
* A tool to create colored text for Warcraft 3

Supported Importers

* md2 (Quake 2)
* ms3d (Milkshape)

UPDATE 1 //by Rui​

Hey people, it's Rui. I have updated the tool to v1.07 and added some keywords for searching. Enjoy!

UPDATE 2 //by Khyrberos​

In recent years, both with modern OSes & with Reforged, W3ME might require a few adjustments to work properly.

(Made redundant by update 3)
One common issue over the years was missing DLLs; as described in this post by Hero_Lief and this message by Pyf, the DirectX Installer can be downloaded here. (Alternatively, as Hermit describes here, you can Google & download the specific file 'd3dx_9.dll' needed by W3ME.)

(Doesn't apply to beta v1.08)
A new issue with 1.30+ is its use of the CASC data system, replacing the old MPQ system. As described by Hermit in this post, you will need to have/find a copy of the old MPQs & put them where War3 Model Editor can find them in order for it to work properly. It appears 1.28 files work the best in v1.07

UPDATE 3 //by BogdanW3​

The v1.07 zip has been repacked to include the dll needed to make it run without having to install the DirectX runtime, thank you to @Dr Super Good for noting that that's the proper way to do things now with deprecation of Direct3D9 taking place.

You can now also download a new version, v1.08 beta, which was updated by me (@BogdanW3) and has some nice new, albeit still to be thoroughly tested, features:

* Edit texture paths directly from the textures window (no need for MDL for this)
* Support for v1000 (1.32) and v1100 (1.33, only loading for now) SD MDX models
* DDS texture support
* Hierarchical loading of textures (a texture referenced as tga in a model will no longer fail to load if the file is for example blp)
* Loading assets from CASC (no CASC browser at this time due to library limitations)
* 24 team colours
* Replaceable IDs 36 and 37, as well as a few more event objects are added from entries in the game data (thank you @Hermit)
* And more!

Feel free to contact me if there's any bugs or regressions you wish to report. MagosX has given me permission to post it, so I would like to thank him for that as well as making a great model editor with a very readable codebase!
This version currently works best with 1.29 MPQs or 1.31+ CASC.
Requires the 64-bit Visual C++ 2015 runtime.

PS, applies to all versions of W3ME:​

To set up the War3 Model Editor to load data (be it MPQs, or CASC in v1.08) from a specific folder, you will want to set up the string Registry value InstallPath in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\ to point to the Warcraft 3 data folder you wish to use.
For a more step-by-step explanation, check this comment by StormKnight.

Keywords:
warcraft, 3, III, magos, w3me, editor, model, war3, wc3, mdx
Contents

War3 Model Editor v1.07 (Binary)

War3 Model Editor v1.08 (64-bit, beta) (Binary)

Reviews
PurplePoot: Approved for extreme usefulness, whether as a mapper or a modeler.
Level 9
I cant start it, i just get an error message complaining about a file called d3dx9_35.dll cant be found. I've tried to reinstall it but it didn't work. Anyone know how i correct this problem?
You can go here to update your DirectX: http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/7/1/1718ccc4-6315-4d8e-9543-8e28a4e18c4c/dxwebsetup.exe

From there load it and let it install the updated components (ensure you have your internet on so that it can download it, then installing it). Let it complete and it may ask you to restart (maybe). If it does restart, otherwise load Magos's Model Editor and it should work ;) .

Level 1
can some 1 plz help a guy out ok i extracted it and ran it well it said d3dx9_35.dll was not found try re-installing the application may fix this promblem i did that didnt work any idea's how to fix it. It help alot

Level 1
Uhhh... it dont work. it just says This application has faild to start because d3dx9_35.dll was not found. could useing vista be a cuase or did u upload a program with missing stuff or is it not in the right file? WTF IS WRONG WITH IT!:confused::confused::confused:

Level 1
me new :)

hey i need some help using this, i cant work out where the war3 basic models r kept? ive got war3 model editor but i cant find the models 2 edit lol thanks for the help in advance XD

Level 9
some one help me i need some file called d3dx9+_35.dll some one PLEASE help me
Read post #248 or from the top of you; it is a common problem because you have a outdated version of DirectX. I would hope that this notice should be put up, it is one common problem.

Level 6
You can go here to update your DirectX: http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/7/1/1718ccc4-6315-4d8e-9543-8e28a4e18c4c/dxwebsetup.exe

From there load it and let it install the updated components (ensure you have your internet on so that it can download it, then installing it). Let it complete and it may ask you to restart (maybe). If it does restart, otherwise load Magos's Model Editor and it should work ;) .

I have the same problem, now i trying to update my DirectX.

Edit: Now is working thanks man XD.

Level 9
I have the same problem, now i trying to update my DirectX.

Edit: Now is working thanks man XD.
No problem, it was all a coincidence with a accidental resolution to loading the new version of it. Just bug-fixes when I heard from Magos. Good luck editing ;) .

Thx alot for directX. It working on my Vistacomp but not on my XP comp! Thx =) <3<3<3<3<3
No problem, the updated components installed are there. Good luck ;) .

Level 1
Where are the files with the models? I've looked at every files that came with the game and can't find any models.

Nevermind, I found them

Last edited:
Level 5
if you get promblem error splat or something like that have you extracted it yet it is a zip foloder and how do you even find the modles

Level 4
I got the d3dx9+_35.dll problem anyone help me :S please...
10 minute later after reading pha0001 post #248
OMG.... This finally work! Omg thanks Pha0001 for helping me :D!

Level 9
I got the d3dx9+_35.dll problem anyone help me :S please...
10 minute later after reading pha0001 post #248
OMG.... This finally work! Omg thanks Pha0001 for helping me :D!
No problem, hopefully that helps. Glad too see many using this program which seems to be a essentially free yet useful basic program for editing Warcraft III s.

I wonder if this could be added in the main page for those having that error?

Level 2
Something like 80% of people who downloaded this cant use it someone have 79,99% have erors the 0,01% is me, i download it extract it run it but it exits, i've fixed the registry, iv'e put it to WC folder, and still the same, no erors like: xxxxx.dll is missing or any eror window, anyone else have this problem?

Level 3
Hello My Real Name Is Reden Do you Want To Have The File d3xd9_35.dll File
Of The Model Editor? I Have Also The Error Of It
But I Did How To Repair It Just Click The Link That I Insert Here
I Hope This Is Helpful To All Of You This Is The Website Download It Here
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?d3dx9_35

When You Download The Zip Right Click To It
And Select The Extract All
When You Extracted All Open It Copy The d3xd9_dll File Do Not Copy The Folder
Then Paste It On The Model Editor

This Is The Step Open Model Editor>Model Editor
Then Paste In The Second Folder That The Name Is Model Editor Also
Remember Paste It To The Second Folder

Level 3
Zeegel And Pha0001 Do You Know Where We Can Find a Tool?
By The Tool, You Can Create Your Own Model Do You Know

And Do You Know Where I Can Find A Model From Naruto Shippuden Characters?

Thanks

Where The Two Of You Are Living

I Live In Phillipines

Level 9
Sorry Zeegel And Pha0001 For My

Walky Talky Mouth Sorry For My Being Noisy Too
No problem; you double-posted. I recommend deleting that post and put that together with your previous post. Anyways, I guess it seems troubling, but with some intellectual evidence and luck I found my way ;) .

Level 3
Please, I need to ask, 1. How do I import skins?????? I have downloaded one and I have used texture manager to import it, but how to get it on the model?????
2. How to load more models to it in one time and how to attach items like a swords downloaded from this site?????
Thx, Dusanak

Level 15
I have a problem with it now somehow, it worked before, but now my father has cleaned up the computer or something, hope someone can help.

---------------------------
War3ModelEditor.exe - Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to start because d3dx9_35.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
OK

Level 9
I have a problem with it now somehow, it worked before, but now my father has cleaned up the computer or something, hope someone can help.

War3ModelEditor.exe - Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to start because d3dx9_35.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
OK
Read this link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1203345-post248.html. I have documented a couple of times, however some have trouble due to a outdated DirectX (not necessarily, but because it has been updated to that new version). Read it from there.

I have said this a couple of times, but good luck.

Are there any torturial how to use this tool??

Look into the help section of Magos Model Viewer. I think there are a couple with some tutorials which may guide you.

Level 2
it says: program cant start becausr d3dx9_35.dll cant be found.
this problem can be solved if you install program again

i've tryed to download like 4 times now >.< plz help

Level 15
Read this link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1203345-post248.html. I have documented a couple of times, however some have trouble due to a outdated DirectX (not necessarily, but because it has been updated to that new version). Read it from there.

I have said this a couple of times, but good luck.

Look into the help section of Magos Model Viewer. I think there are a couple with some tutorials which may guide you.

Thank you very much, its working now.