• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[vJass] Meet vJass - Extending structs

Level 19
Today's topic: Extending structs.

Introduction

These days it appears to be a dying art for vJass resources, hence I want to raise interest on this easily readable way of coding.
So before going into details, let's make sure you have a faint idea what extending structs are.

You're probably aware of struct A or struct A extends array.
The topic for today is struct A extends B, how it works and how to use it.
I will also talk about finally compiled code when using this feature of vJass.

Quote from JassHelper manual
You base a struct on a previously declared struct, by doing so your new type aquires methods and variable members of the base struct.
Furthermore it is able to use instances of this type with functions and variables of the base type.
Constructor & Destructor

Let's quickly repeat allocation and deallocation of structs extending other structs.
For demonstration I will make a realistic spell name: Hydra ( the Diablo II & Diablo III spell )
JASS:
struct Hydra
endstruct
JASS:
struct FireHydra extends Hydra
endstruct

allocate()
When using FireHydra.allocate() you will end up calling Hydra.allocate() instead.

create()
You can use FireHydra.create() instead of FireHydra.allocate(). It will also use the parent structs constructor instead.
If you override Hydra.create() with your own custom create method the create method for child structs ( FireHydra ) will require the same arguments.

destroy()
When destroying a FireHydra instance, Hydra's destructor is called instead and FireHydra's onDestroy method is evaluated via trigger.
Note: The onDestroy[structid] trigger is always evaluated, independent of method onDestroy beeing declared or not.

deallocate()
In case you override method destroy with a custom destroy method, use method deallocate to call the normal destroy method.

Code

After JassHelper

JASS:
// In the example Hydra is our parent struct.
struct Hydra
    player owner// Child structs can use members of the parent struct
                // aslong as they are "not" private!

// Child structs can use methods of parent structs.
    method fire takes unit target returns nothing
    endmethod

endstruct

// In the example FireHydra is a child struct extending Hydra.

endstruct
JASS:
globals

//JASSHelper struct globals:
constant integer si__Hydra=1// Hydra struct id
integer si__Hydra_F=0       // Free indexes
integer si__Hydra_I=0       // Index count
integer array si__Hydra_V   // Reprents existing instances.
player array s__Hydra_owner

constant integer si__FireHydra=2 // FireHydra struct id
integer array si__Hydra_type     // Stores which type an instance is ( i.e. is it FireHydra? --> 2 )
trigger array st__Hydra_onDestroy// Evaluate proper onDestroy method.
integer f__arg_this              // Global to transfer data via TriggerEvaluate

endglobals

//Generated allocator of Hydra
function s__Hydra__allocate takes nothing returns integer
 local integer this=si__Hydra_F
    if (this!=0) then
        set si__Hydra_F=si__Hydra_V[this]
    else
        set si__Hydra_I=si__Hydra_I+1
        set this=si__Hydra_I
    endif
    if (this>8190) then
        call DisplayTimedTextToPlayer(GetLocalPlayer(),0,0,1000.,"Unable to allocate id for an object of type: Hydra")
        return 0
    endif

set si__Hydra_type[this]=1
    set si__Hydra_V[this]=-1
 return this
endfunction

//Generated destructor of Hydra
function sc__Hydra_deallocate takes integer this returns nothing
    if this==null then
            call DisplayTimedTextToPlayer(GetLocalPlayer(),0,0,1000.,"Attempt to destroy a null struct of type: Hydra")
        return
    elseif (si__Hydra_V[this]!=-1) then
            call DisplayTimedTextToPlayer(GetLocalPlayer(),0,0,1000.,"Double free of type: Hydra")
        return
    endif
    set f__arg_this=this
    call TriggerEvaluate(st__Hydra_onDestroy[si__Hydra_type[this]])
    set si__Hydra_V[this]=si__Hydra_F
    set si__Hydra_F=this
endfunction

//Generated allocator of FireHydra
function s__FireHydra__allocate takes nothing returns integer
 local integer this=s__Hydra__allocate()// Calls Hydra's allocator instead.
 local integer kthis
    if(this==0) then
        return 0
    endif
    set si__Hydra_type[this]=2// Sets the type
    set kthis=this

return this
endfunction

stub methods & super

A method declared in your parent struct can't be re-declared in your child struct. The JassHelper will throw an error:

Error
Member name already in use by a parent type
Now a stub method behaves like a normal method, but can be overridden in your child struct.
Make use of this feature, if you want different method behaviours in your child struct than in your parent struct. ( i.e. a filter )

super forces the parent method to be called, you might need this when extending an interface or avoiding an overrriden stub method.
I guess the usage of super is very seldom to non-existent.

An example is better than 1000 words:
JASS:
struct Hydra

stub method onCreate takes unit new returns nothing
    endmethod

stub method onFilter takes unit filterUnit returns boolean
        return true
    endmethod

// Child structs can use methods of parent structs.
    endmethod

endstruct

// overrrides stub method onCreate.
    method onCreate takes unit new returns nothing
        call BJDebugMsg("parent onCreate overridden")
        call super.onCreate(new)// Will now also call the parent struct onCreate method.
    endmethod

// overrides stub method onFilter. Returned boolean may now also be false.
    method onFilter takes unit filterUnit returns boolean
        return UnitAlive(filterUnit)
    endmethod

// Will throw an error, because method fire is already declared in Hydra!
    endmethod
endstruct
Limitation
It is impossible to call a stub method within the parent creator
JASS:
library A

struct A

// Eval via call TriggerEvaluate(st__A_onCreate[si__A_type[this]])
    public stub method onCreate takes nothing returns nothing
        // Will always run
    endmethod

static method create takes nothing returns thistype
        local thistype this = thistype.allocate()// set si__A_type[this]=1

call this.onCreate()// Evaluates st__A_onCreate[si__A_type[this]]!

return this// Returned to a function, which set si__A_type[this]=2
    endmethod

endstruct

struct B extends A

private method onCreate takes nothing returns nothing
        // Will never run
    endmethod

static method doit takes nothing returns nothing
        local B this = B.create()// here si__A_type[this]=2
        call Print(I2S(this.getType()))// Prints 2
    endmethod

endstruct

endlibrary

Generated Code

One could think: Quite awesome this vJass!
But it is very important to analyse the code generated behind stub method and extending structs.
Constructor and destructors stay as described above, but how is it possible to "override" stub methods?

stub method
Stub methods create a trigger array a static integer, a static type for the returner and for each function argument a respective type variable.
Variables of the same type are shared across structs in your map to reduce overall used globals to a minimum.
These variables are required to pass over agruments when using trigger evaluations.

overridden stub methods
Once re-declared in your child struct, stub methods are accessed via TriggerEvaluate(trigger[structid]).
So we have an additional triggeraction and triggercondition registered to the above mentioned trigger array. The array index is the child struct id.

super
super doesn't create any extra code. It compiles to a simple function call to the parent struct method.

code

After JassHelper

JASS:
struct Hydra

stub method onCreate takes unit new returns nothing
        call BJDebugMsg("- parent -")
    endmethod

endstruct

// overrides stub method onCreate.
    method onCreate takes unit new returns nothing
    endmethod

endstruct
JASS:
//JASSHelper struct globals:
constant integer si__Hydra=1
integer si__Hydra_F=0
integer si__Hydra_I=0
integer array si__Hydra_V
constant integer si__FireHydra=2
trigger array st__Hydra_onCreate// trigger array for stub method onCreate
integer array si__Hydra_type      
trigger array st__Hydra_onDestroy
unit f__arg_unit1
integer f__arg_this

endglobals

// Generated method caller for Hydra.onCreate
// This method is always called onCreate, from here the proper ( stub ) method is evaluated via trigger.
// Arguments are passed via globals as you can see.
function sc__Hydra_onCreate takes integer this,unit new returns nothing
    set f__arg_this=this
    set f__arg_unit1=new
    call TriggerEvaluate(st__Hydra_onCreate[si__Hydra_type[this]])
endfunction

//Generated method caller for FireHydra.onCreate
function sc__FireHydra_onCreate takes integer this,unit new returns nothing
endfunction

function s__Hydra_onCreate takes integer this,unit new returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg("- parent -")
endfunction
function s__FireHydra_onCreate takes integer this,unit new returns nothing
endfunction

// Struct method generated initializers/callers:
// First for Hydra the second for FireHydra.
// f__arg_this, and f__arg_unit1 are set in the trigger conditions.
function sa__Hydra_onCreate takes nothing returns boolean
    call s__Hydra_onCreate(f__arg_this,f__arg_unit1)
   return true
endfunction
function sa__FireHydra_onCreate takes nothing returns boolean
    call s__FireHydra_onCreate(f__arg_this,f__arg_unit1)
   return true
endfunction

// Array index is the constant struct id. 
function jasshelper__initstructs325686859 takes nothing returns nothing
    // Hydra onCreate ( Parent struct )
    set st__Hydra_onCreate[1]=CreateTrigger()
    call TriggerAddCondition(st__Hydra_onCreate[1],Condition( function sa__Hydra_onCreate))
    call TriggerAddAction(st__Hydra_onCreate[1], function sa__Hydra_onCreate)

// FireHydra onCreate ( Child struct )
    set st__Hydra_onCreate[2]=CreateTrigger()
    call TriggerAddCondition(st__Hydra_onCreate[2],Condition( function sa__FireHydra_onCreate))
    call TriggerAddAction(st__Hydra_onCreate[2], function sa__FireHydra_onCreate)

// Hydra and FireHydra onDestroy ( not declared, therefore null )
    // Even though they do no exists, the trigger is still evaluated.
    set st__Hydra_onDestroy[1]=null
    set st__Hydra_onDestroy[2]=null    
endfunction

function main takes nothing returns nothing
    // ... Blizzard code, init stuff

// Struct initializer are executed via ExecuteFunc native.
    call ExecuteFunc("jasshelper__initstructs325686859")
endfunction

Array Structs

Structs extending array ( i.e. struct Hydra extends array ) are not discussed in detail in this tutorial.
What you should know is that array structs do not generate a struct creator and destructor. You have to do all of this by yourself.
You want to use array structs for the . syntax and for struct fields. ( JassHelper link )

Side note: struct extends array is also recommended for large scale systems,
as high frequency trigger evaluations ( onDestroy, stub methods, ... ) can have a negative impact on the overall computation time.

typeid & getType()

Let's imagine you want to code more different Hydra type spells in your map ( i.e. Ice, Lightning, Venom-Hydra ... ).
How is it possible to distinguish which type of Hydra an instance is? Remember they are all allocated via our parent struct: Hydra.

thistype.typeid
Each struct has an id represented as constant integer ( i.e. constant integer si__FireHydra=2 )
You can read the struct id by using struct.typeid ( i.e. FireHydra.typeid has here the value 2 )

getType()
Method instance.getType() returns the struct id ( see above ) of an allocated instance.
In FireHydra.allocate() ( see code analysis ) set si__Hydra_type[this]=2 defines the type this instance is.
These fields allow the following comparison: hydra.getType() == FireHydra.typeid.

Conclusion

Many people postulate that extending structs should be avoided due to extra code generation and trigger evaluations.
We can't deny that stub methods are not top performers in vJass coding ( due to trigger evaluations ),
however the syntax is very readable and easy to use. Performance-wise you will not realise a difference ingame in 99% of all cases.

As an example extending structs are beneficial when it comes to coding spell resources for you map. ( reconsider my Hydra example )
Alternative ways of coding ( eventually faster ) with modules combined with static ifs and Events are often really hard to understand at a glance.

I totally recommend to try out extending structs for clean, readable OOP coding in vJass.

Demo Code

Some links to resources on THW using the features discussed above:

Thank you for your attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 19
Not sure if we need such kind of tutorial.

If you think it's useful, I willl polish it up a little bit more and work on the content.
Especially point out Demo Code, Conclusion and extends array.

So please feedback :)

Edit: I should also talk about getType() and thistype.typeid

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I think the tutorial is pretty well done. I read it all and understood everything at first glance (though, I kinda knew how it worked already, so this view might be different from someone who doesn't know about extends).

Yes, getType() and thistype.typeid are crucial for this; Looking forward to that chapter.

I think the conclusion should mention that one of the main applications for struct extensions is actually coding spells.
In most maps, the runtime efficiency of spells is determined by the taxing handle operations (creating units, moving units, dealing damage) or enumerations, while the overall speed impact of a trigger evaluation more or less does seldom matter in the grand scheme of things. After all, if thousands of instances of your spell are active at the same time, this is not about efficiency anymore, but just bad game design.

Extending structs is definitely not the preferred option for fundamental systems where speed efficiency matters.
But it is a very elegant solution for coding spells.

I also like your Hydra example; very descriptive as lots of people will instantly remember what this spell does in Diablo and it's a great showcase for when extending structs is useful, as fire/ice/lightning hydra work somewhat similar, but not quite the same.
Fire has a DoT which requires a periodic method.
Ice applies a timed frost nova effect.
Lightning has a chance to stun the enemy and doesn't shoot moving missiles, but deals instant damage.

I really like it.

JASS:
// overwrites stub method onFilter. Returned boolean may now also false.
    method onFilter takes unit filterUnit returns boolean
        return UnitAlive(filterUnit)
    endmethod
^Here
"Returned boolean may now also false."
->
"Returned boolean may now also be false."

Maybe it could quickly be noted that extends array won't extend a real upper type.

Level 23
you dont overwrite, you override methods(just a wording)

"We can't denie" -> We can't deny.

Useful? Probably, needed? very much.

Nowadays, people actually fear using such features because of getting banished by performance elitists saying that "YOUR SYSTEM RUNS 1 MICROSECOND SLOWER DIE IN HELLFIRE!"

Level 19
Updated the tutorial a bit. I added information about struct field typeid and getType().

Demo code is still lacking. I will see if I find good examples.
Furthermore I will update my Hydra spell in the spell section.
( the old version stays, but I will add a second one demonstrating in this tutorial content )

I didn't use the word inheritance in my text. Maybe I should.
Is there anything really important missing, which I should add to the tutorial?

It was fun to write, dependant on the feedback I will make another one about delegate.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I like that the tutorial is short and to the point.

But yes, a few more examples would be nice. The little sub-chapter about struct extends array sticks out a bit, though. I'm not sure if this should be part of this tutorial, as it's basicly a hack we use to override the default vJass implementation of structs.

It should imho just be mentioned at the bottom of the tutorial and that it should not be used in combination with struct A extends B (unless you really know what you're doing), then just link to a dedicated tutorial to struct extends array.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
There is no reason that this.onCreate() inside A should call As child's onCreate(such as B).

That is because when you do this.onCreate, the this variable will be A and not B, since you are inside A not B.
That is not how inheritance works. The parent struct is always supposed to call the child methods if they exist, no matter if you look at the child or parent type.

If B extends A (and you are looking at A), then all members of A must still call B's methods (if struct A is actually a type B).

An example of why that is required can be found directly in the core game mechanics: unit extends widget extends handle
If I kill a widget that is actually a unit, it will still fire all unit related mechanics aswell (like a unit death event), because it is, in fact, not a widget, but a unit.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

When I learned vJASS, I was told to stay away from extends. So I did. I can only give the same suggestion here.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Well I remember inspecting myself what JassHelper spews out when using extends, it wasn't anything nice. JASS2 is already slow af why make it slower?

Besides I don't want to be a rebel, I'm doing what I've been taught. WC3 modding has been thing for over a decade so we know what's fast and what is not.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Well I remember inspecting myself what JassHelper spews out when using extends, it wasn't anything nice. JASS2 is already slow af why make it slower?

Besides I don't want to be a rebel, I'm doing what I've been taught. WC3 modding has been thing for over a decade so we know what's fast and what is not.
In most of the use-cases for struct extension, you don't care about minor speed differences.

Extends is for readability and modular code. It's not for speed-freaks.

I personally adore extends and use it whereever it makes sense. It creates neat, clean and - most importantly - highly maintainable code that you can easily modify or add features to later.

Would I use it for speed-critical systems like damage detection? Hell no.
But for stuff where speed optimization isn't top priority, like spells, buffs, etc.? Fuck yes!

A great example for the clever use of extends is having basic spell components that you can use for rapid-prototyping new abilities.
I basicly built base structs for "cast time spell", "basic direct missile spell", "basic cone-type spell", "basic line-type spell", "basic buff placer", etc. that I can extend upon whenever I need a spell to do something out of the norm. It saves so much time to be able to use pre-build structures and just add whatever the specific spell you code adds to the table instead of recreating everything from scratch every time. Plus, if I want to add a feature retroactively to all the spells of one group (let's say, I decided to add a mechanic that deflects missiles), I can simply edit the base struct and have it apply to all derivates automaticly.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Yes the concept is nice, we just need a good implementation. My own will have a pool around variable, pool of what checks to include.

JASS:
abstract struct Parent
    void printMsg()

struct ChildA : Parent
    void printMsg()
        BJDebugMsg("A")

struct ChildB : Parent
    void printMsg()
        BJDebugMsg("B")

struct ChildC : Parent
    void printMsg()
        BJDebugMsg("C")

INIT
    Parent myInstance = ChildB.create()
    myInstance.printMsg()
    Parent myInstance2 = ChildA.create()
    myInstance2 = ChildC.create()
    myInstance2.printMsg()
Pool for myInstance has ChildB only, translates into call ChildB_printMsg(myInstance).
Pool for myInstance2 has ChildA and ChildC, translates into:
JASS:
if(myInstance2_id>1)then // binary search
    call ChildC_printMsg(myInstance2)
else // omit B (1) check, not in the pool
    call ChildA_printMsg(myInstance2)
endif

Ruke's vrJASS has better implementation as well. Also I think Nestharus is working on his own JassHelper alternative.

Level 9
Why does stub methods generate triggeractions too if there's already a triggercondition? Seems redundant if you ask me.
Yeah, it is redundant. I think a lot of the jasshelper features were implemented with the plan that the optimizer could come in and remove that redundancy. I don't think it does, though.
All methods generate triggeractions and triggerconditions. triggeractions are used when you call a method using .execute().

Last edited: