• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

User of the Year 2010

Read the first post before voting!

• TriggerHappy

Votes: 58 25.7%
  • Dr Super Good

Votes: 115 50.9%
  • enjoy

Votes: 53 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
They may not have done anything, because there are active members on this site, that haven't a clue whom any of them are.

Well the idea of these sorts of things is to get active members to vote in the poll, of course it's generally assumed some non-actives will vote but the hope is that for the most part it's hopefully people who know of the people they're voting on.

@Fuego

He was talking about those asking, not those in the poll

Level 31
b57d6cc44381a1434943ab9d3024.jpeg

Level 22
I voted enjoy, because she is awesome. The two other candidates have been demoted before, not enjoy. Just sayin'!

Btw, my vote should count 50 times. Because, seriously, my opinion really matters.

05-10-2011
--> if you have mistaken 05 as the date, then you should have said, this will end in october...

I never really did understand with the US (hmm idk how many other countries do it that way too) way of labeling dates you start with the month really, I mean it seems logical to go from smallest to largest.

But yeah, plenty of time to get your votes in if you haven't yet

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Its due to America being the land of capatilisim. Companies set montly targets etc which means the month is far more important than the date. This however leads to a lot of confusion as here in the UK we always go DD/MM/YY so Americans often think our day is the month. Such a confusion is understandable but the fact they then think the 13-31 is a vaild month and argue that you are stupid or making no sense gets me.

It could be worse. In electronics everything is in inches due to the US. The result is that distances are in min or qin or nin. One has to be careful not to pull a mars mission and forget to convert lol.

Its due to America being the land of capatilisim. Companies set montly targets etc which means the month is far more important than the date. This however leads to a lot of confusion as here in the UK we always go DD/MM/YY so Americans often think our day is the month. Such a confusion is understandable but the fact they then think the 13-31 is a vaild month and argue that you are stupid or making no sense gets me.

It could be worse. In electronics everything is in inches due to the US. The result is that distances are in min or qin or nin. One has to be careful not to pull a mars mission and forget to convert lol.

Same here in Canada. we do day first.

Level 23
They did? I mean, I've seen Triggerhappy and Dr Super Good a couple times and seen their work, but I haven't actually seen anything from enjoy. :O
What did she do if I may ask? It's not like I care about who get the award, but I'm curious.

I do most stuff in icon section, The admin contact forum and the chat, and also judged two contests, but I am really only in the art section, or where there needs to be removed some posts. But generally, I try not to interfere with the forum mods jobs. :)
I am not sure why I was nominated.

Raven0 referred to enjoy as a male. I had to correct him.

Doesn't matter. The rest of his discription of me was nice :)

My bad ^-^
sry enjoy!

Forgiven! :)

Why is enjoy nominated?
I do honestly not know, and I actually voted for trigger, so.

Now, moving on to responding some complains, and add suggestions.

There is a lack of regular users in the user of the year contest

Yes, there has been a lack of users, and I am sorry for that.
We discussed this alot, but some on staff ( I will not mention names ) do not think that the users are mature enough, to make serious nominations. I have been asking abit around chat, because then I would be able to add some users to the poll, but sadly, there was too many choices.

I would suggest that user of the year was seperate, and then we could create the Staff member of the year, if someone do feel an urge to be credited.

Also, I would suggest that for next year, we create a nomination thread that would be linked in the notifications, and on the front page, so that people could nominate. However, I think there would be a need for a rule about not nominating yourself.
But I would like to hear what the users are up for, and what they think would be the best idea, and we could then ( the staff ) bring them up in the Mods lobby, and discuss them.

Why is [user] not nominated?
We had two round in the Mods lobby, where staff voted, and we did have users, but they didn't come to the final round. I think that if the vote had been public, for users to vote on, there would have been a great chance that someone like _Pharaoh_ would have won, but sadly, thats not the case.

So again, I would like to hear what you guys think we could do better for next year.
Please remember that so far, this is just ideas, and everything will be discussed with staff and Ralle, before anything is desided. But it would be nice with opinions

- enjoy

Also, I would suggest that for next year, we create a nomination thread that would be linked in the notifications, and on the front page, so that people could nominate. However, I think there would be a need for a rule about not nominating yourself.
But I would like to hear what the users are up for, and what they think would be the best idea, and we could then ( the staff ) bring them up in the Mods lobby, and discuss them.

Is there any way we could possibly create a system that essentially functions like a poll with write in options? Basically once it's open you can nominate whoever you want, while some people are going to make stupid choices (like a guy who just joined the iste nominating themself or something) hopefully enough people would make legitimate choices to add in some clear nominees. Of course this is essentially what a thread would be, but if we could get something to count the votes for us it'd be easier and less chaotic then a thread.

Level 23
Is there any way we could possibly create a system that essentially functions like a poll with write in options? Basically once it's open you can nominate whoever you want, while some people are going to make stupid choices (like a guy who just joined the iste nominating themself or something) hopefully enough people would make legitimate choices to add in some clear nominees. Of course this is essentially what a thread would be, but if we could get something to count the votes for us it'd be easier and less chaotic then a thread.

Well, I guess we could do that, but I mean, if we just had maybe two mods subscribing to the thread, and delete immature nominations as they come along? I don't know if it would work, but I for one would surely be there to delete non-valid posts as they come along, if it came to that.
And we would probably write some clear rules/guidelines to users who would like to nominate someone.

Level 22
enjoy is the best. There's a reason she won in the first round in Mods Lobby. Too bad the others weren't content with 1 vote more ._.

Anyway, if we were to do this the awesome way, enjoy would win. The awesome way would be to remove anyone who has ever been demoted for inappropriate behaviour from the staff.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The awesome way would be to remove anyone who has ever been demoted for inappropriate behaviour from the staff.
That would not make sense since some people are User of the Year and have done far far worse things than a news thread that infringed copyright and seemed to be offensive in some cultures.

Instead it could be done by who is the smartest user of the year (most IQ) but that would be equally as stupid.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I hardly think donating $1000+ can be considered "nothing" but I'll by no means argue that those on the poll don't deserve to be there (I'm sure they do) - But while you can't give the award everyone, there are many others who most certainly deserve it just as much. Voted for DSG anyway, he's been more than forthcoming with advice for the general public including newbies who I think can be given a real hard time here, so kudos to him for that ;)
I did fight for TWIF. Just by looking at this thread I feel like just handing over the award to him. Today, yes, today, it was once again, for the hundredth time, thrown to my face how choice is important, and few would choose to just donate their 1000$ to this website. But people kept yelling that «donating 1000$ shouldn't get you an award», and, like always, my arguments were unheard.

That is open to opinion, for the simple fact that, some moderators are not put into position for the way they act, but for popularity. Those that are put there for said reason, normally do not have the skills or behavior for said position.
It's a lesson taught to us by PurplePoot upon his departure that we forgot and keep forgetting.

And regarding separate awards, please look at my previous reply.

Level 22
I did fight for TWIF. Just by looking at this thread I feel like just handing over the award to him. Today, yes, today, it was once again, for the hundredth time, thrown to my face how choice is important, and few would choose to just donate their 1000$ to this website. But people kept yelling that «donating 1000$ shouldn't get you an award», and, like always, my arguments were unheard.

I wouldn't count it as buying an award as said, 1000$ is something I would probably spend on my drivers license education or university. But if you're wealthy this is a whole other matter...

1337 donated should have an own award

Rui

Rui

Level 41
You kept stating what you had stated in the beginning, my argument had such a null effect that it's hard to believe you really thought them through. Though, if you did, you don't realize how choices are so important. I, for one, can think about nothing else. It just got rubbed in my face really hard today, though.

I wouldn't count it as buying an award as said, 1000$ is something I would probably spend on my drivers license education or university. But if you're wealthy this is a whole other matter...

1337 donated should have an own award

Oh god not this argument again

Money wasn't the only factor on the part of that argument, there was multiple reasons for and against him as user of the year and in the end it was decided against him in favor of other users.

Also note that he does already sport the "bought the hive" award, something which no other user can boast on the site.

Level 22
Money wasn't the only factor on the part of that argument, there was multiple reasons for and against him as user of the year and in the end it was decided against him in favor of other users.

Also note that he does already sport the "bought the hive" award, something which no other user can boast on the site.

Now that I did not know. I'll just shut up from now on.

guys. just deal with it >.< its not like anyone is going to make exceptions just because you dont think its fair. they have taken this under 3 ROUNDS OF CONSIDERATION. just stfu and vote. dont like the votes? dont vote. end of discussion. We had this argument last year. We even let you ATTEMPT to nominate last year. And none of the nominations were at all meaningful. We gave you guys a chance before, you blew it. Shutup and vote/dont vote.

Level 6
guys. just deal with it >.< its not like anyone is going to make exceptions just because you dont think its fair. they have taken this under 3 ROUNDS OF CONSIDERATION. just stfu and vote. dont like the votes? dont vote. end of discussion. We had this argument last year. We even let you ATTEMPT to nominate last year. And none of the nominations were at all meaningful. We gave you guys a chance before, you blew it. Shutup and vote/dont vote.

This.

Nobody else will be in the poll. These are your choices. If you dislike it, don't come back to the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.