• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Excellence Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if all of you know, but there are some awards I tried introducing earlier this year, called Excellence Awards. I thought they could be a way to reward users for being helpful or whatever in the community since the User of the Year award is a lot harder to get. I made them for non-staff, so current and past staff members could not get them.

I tried looking for nominations and whatever among the staff but finding people in the three main sections of the hive (art, community, development) was not going very well. (Only the art awards ever had more than one suggestion)

So I asked them again a week or two ago for more suggestions, since I hoped to give these awards out quarterly. A lot of the staff think this award isn't very useful blah blah.

So I thought I'd ask the users what they'd want, since these awards apply to them.

Here are some options but if you have any ideas then I'd like to hear them. :D

1. Keep the awards as they are. (unlikely to happen)
  2. Let users nominate people but let the staff choose the outcome.
  3. Let users nominate people and let the users decide the outcome.
  4. Lower the frequency to every half a year.
  5. Lower the frequency to once a year.
  6. Remove them altogether.
(You can combine some of these if you want)

TL;DR: Excellence awards are given to helpful community people, quarterly, and they must not be current or ex-staff members. There's one for each of the three sections (art, community, development). What do we do with them?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

To be quite honest, it is rather unnecessary, users that are helpful are rewarded with reputation points by the users that find them helpful. Though if this ends up being popular among the rest of the users, I'd suggest it becomes an award where users suggest the nominees. I don't care who chooses them, it's easier to keep it fair if the staff does that part.

Level 26
REMOVE EXCELLENCE AWARDS, they are redundant and useless, you are reiterating the "rep" system currently in use and cluttering a usercp with pointless award icons. User of the year should be enough. It is hard to get, but that means that those who get the award, DESERVE IT. If it really is so hard for people to think of nominations for such awards, then OBVIOUSLY there arent enough active, helpful people deserving of such an award (who are not staff).

Seriously Pyritie, these extra awards are ridiculous.

Level 19
If people nominate and vote for their candidates it'll become a popularity contest.

Look at the User of the Year awards in 2007 or 2008, many people voted for Master Haosis, while there were a lot better people who could've gotten it. Luckily the staff interfered and closed the poll.

I vote for 1.

Level 13
Well it's similar to the rep thing. If the users know that this sort of award exists they will try to be more friendly to have a chance to get it.

So I say we should give it a chance. I am not sure though how to manage it :/

I believe it should be a mixture of member votes and mod votes. Like giving a guy points between 1 and 10 both members and mods and in the end the middle is taken and the one with the highest wins.

Level 31
This is the most useless and stupid idea I ever seen (Doesn't mean to offense anyone, but it really is QFT). It was an complete insult towards the User of the Year Award as they both generally held the same term and meaning.

An award got to have an values or else it isn't called as award. What's the point of the award if it was soo easy to be obtain. Even the staff have an hard time to earn the User of the Year award, so there is no reason to have an soo called cheap award that are easy to be earn for ordinary user.

To top up with, we have a reputation system to award users who been kind and helpful; that's mean the entire award system are definitely unnecessary.

Level 13
No, it's just people thinking that a raider icon is to compensate all the effort one contributed to the site as a (former) moderator.

Dunno where that comes from, though. Some sites even pay their staff.

Well you knew what the conditions were when applying or taking the job.
So afterwards you shouldn't complain about other sites paying their mods.

Level 35
Well you knew what the conditions were when applying or taking the job.
So afterwards you shouldn't complain about other sites paying their mods.

I'm not complaining about not getting paid.

I'm complaining about not getting our work for the site appreciated sufficiently or at all, while others get a highlighted social status for no reason. Other (ex) mods surely would agree, considering the shitstorm over the respected user awards being dashed out a while ago.

Also, you don't know what being a mod is like until you try it.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I had voiced my opinion earlier; my option is 6: Remove them altogether.

I also wish to remind the community that we're here to modify (mod) a game. People already value creators for their efforts in the creation of their resources, be it maps or models and skins. Take respect as a reward, not as a career.

Level 16
Dear yellow dragon.

The intention of giving out excellence awards may be a noble one, but there will always be very muddy, unclear, and ultimately a flawed implementation of how to award them. I'm of the opinion that the current receivers should keep them, but give out no more future editions it. The user of the year award already epitomes all of this.

Level 16
All or nothing, take your pick

@ WherewolfTherewolf & anarchianbedlam: I'm of the opinion of what's done is done. Let us change the future instead. Plus, taking back awards that were already being given out may seem like a punishment to the receivers.

@ Zombie.: You know how it is sometimes, like a little 2cmx5cm librarian badge/ society badge in school that goes a long way to presenting oneself to other schoolmates. I'm not saying its a healthy obsession though.

@ WherewolfTherewolf & anarchianbedlam: I'm of the opinion of what's done is done. Let us change the future instead. Plus, taking back awards that were already being given out may seem like a punishment to the receivers.

No - it should be either anyone can get them, or nobody can get them. If you all hate them so much then they shouldn't care if they lose them. Leaving them is basically saying "here's an award you can't get, ever" - just because of your timing doesn't mean you should be left out.

I vote keep them anyways, but if you are going to remove them, remove them entirely.

Level 34
Pyritie just wants to get more medals (awards) on his chest by exploiting the middle userclass. I'd say no(!) and undo his awards(?).

2010 - Vote right.

Level 27
Pyritie just wants to get more medals (awards) on his chest by exploiting the middle userclass. I'd say no(!) and undo his awards(?).

2010 - Vote right.

Commrade TheProletarianBoss, please don't start any anti-Pyritie revolutions without me!
And no its not another try to make more avards, Pyritie tryes to do everything more democratically this time...

Level 1
I vote for increasing the frequency exponentially, there doesn't seem to be a number for it.

And I have a good reason; this site is boring. The mods are like bleach, killing any sort of life. "Serious board for serious posts" says the DSG. You need to tell people that they're better or worse than others, instead of mods = gods, and get some conflict going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.