• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

User of the Year 2010

Read the first post before voting!

• TriggerHappy

Votes: 58 25.7%
  • Dr Super Good

Votes: 115 50.9%
  • enjoy

Votes: 53 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Somewhat it is a popularity contest. I mean, people pick a person they prefer to be nominated as a user of the year 2010, but there are no specific criterias, as someone already mentioned... so you can vote for most popular user, too.
And yeah Devine, I'm sure you could tell the whole Haosis story five time better than I did.

Level 7
It most certainly is a popularity contest - The one who was the most popular/helping around in 2010 definitely wins.
But anyway, All of these definitely deserve the award, and seeing that SC2 came out last year, no wonder why DSG has the most votes.

@above - More like just "respected user". I feel like there's tons of other users who are just as awesome, if not even more awesome.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
It most certainly is a popularity contest - The one who was the most popular/helping around in 2010 definitely wins.
Contributing to the community doesn't really imply that you'll be popular in the eyes of the crowd. But yeah, I can see how a public poll would be biased in the sense that some votes are cast because the voter:

a) Has managed to establish a friendship with the nominated user they voted for.
b) Has failed to notice the contributions the other nominees have contributed with.
c) Has had some form of personal dispute with some of the nominated users.

Isn't it an option to deal with this as contests are dealth with? A few select users who are considered competent and unbiased would act as judges and award scores in a few key criterias, and the nominated users' final score would be determined by an equation invovling both the votes of the public poll and the score each user is awarded in the review. Or is it perhaps that the poll in the mod lobby is considered equivalent to this?

Anyhow, I feel like this could silence alot of complaints.

how come we still need to complain about this?! ITS NOT BIASED AT ALL. the mods. selected 10+ people. They voted, and voted again. and these are who they thought would be the best. calling this biased is alike saying a contest poll is biased. Its also not a popularity contest. its a "who has done the most shit for the hive this year" contest. Popularity might come with doing most of the shit but it has nothing to do with the contest. Shutup and vote or dont vote.

Its honestly that simple. Nothing in this poll will change. This isnt a discussion thread. Its a POLL.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
We should have an award called "Haosis' Seal of Approval" and give it to MasterHaosis.
Don't give ideas to Pyritie. Please?

I have also suggested in the past that nominating and voting should be left to users. I found it funny how they indirectly agreed with me after so long.
Anyway, at the very least, nominating should be left to users, then the staff would narrow down the list and present it for the users to have the final say.

I have also suggested in the past that nominating and voting should be left to users. I found it funny how they indirectly agreed with me after so long.
Anyway, at the very least, nominating should be left to users, then the staff would narrow down the list and present it for the users to have the final say.
Lets hope that'll never happen, I don't think we would want users with no rep at all to be voting for someone.
And even in the end, some people who do have rep, they would just have fun and vote for someone randomly or vote for someone because he's popular/funny in chat/etc.

Don't give ideas to Pyritie. Please?

that WAS done in the past, but all people would say is, MH should get it. So its not like Users are the best at picking out legit people. One guy back the thread said it should be Dragonson. the nominations arent at all logical. Im not saying this about all users, but about 80 - 90% of them >.<

Hmmmm perhaps you should create like an "electoral college" of many trusted users (as a general term, including staff and non-staff) picked at random from a list of anyone who can be seen to be trustworthy in their decision (thus anyone that's been on the site for a while and is known to be logical in their decision making) to nominate users.

Then again, this could just lead to more drama about singling users out for this sort of job.

It's hard because you want everyone to get their opinions heard, but you don't want everyone to have an influence.

Hmmmm perhaps you should create like an "electoral college" of many trusted users (as a general term, including staff and non-staff) picked at random from a list of anyone who can be seen to be trustworthy in their decision (thus anyone that's been on the site for a while and is known to be logical in their decision making) to nominate users.

Then again, this could just lead to more drama about singling users out for this sort of job.

It's hard because you want everyone to get their opinions heard, but you don't want everyone to have an influence.

its fine the way it is. the only people who disagree, are the people who just want to start a fight. or are just blindly wanting their idol up on the poll, without taking into consideration that the mods put in serious thought. as they always do every year.
It all comes down to how the nominees are eliminated, and it cant be left up to the users. that much should be agreed on, but people seem to think that this is mod power abuse, and its not. Its not a problem with the way the poll is set up, its a problem with the people voting on it.

Its like a country leader campaign. not everyone who is nominated gets in, not everyone who wants to be in gets in. The people are decided through deep consideration of parliament and we select from those they have selected. and its fair. why get mad here?

Status
Not open for further replies.