1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 13th Music Contest Poll is up! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Upcoming changes to skills and character models & new abilities

Discussion in 'Gaias Retaliation ORPG' started by Zwiebelchen, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Ah, no, that's not what I mean.

Instead of a different armor model, you will have a different body texture depending on the armor you are using. This will also only apply to the cloth and leather wearers.
    The Squire model will get managed in a different way, to keep the filesize lower: It will share the same textures as the cloth wearers, but will keep the current attachment models on top of that. Creating a new set of mail only textures just for one hero would be too much work and also increase the file size of the game too much. I also felt that the armor models looked great on Squires anyway, so there was nothing to "fix" here.

So in the end, every class will benefit from this:
    1) Squires will get more optical diversity through combined attachment models and texture swaps
    2) Rangers and Thieves will look more agile with texture based armors instead of the blocky attachment models they currently have
    3) Magician and Cleric will now actually wear visible armor, instead of just cape/shoulderpads only

2. Hawajska

Hawajska

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sweeeeeet... :D

3. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    A WIP of the male base texture (and the reference picture). The basic shapes are done, now comes the actual texturing and shading.

Attached Files:

4. amer123

amer123

Resources:
    Resources:
    I admire your developments generally , but i have some remarks regarding the Crusader's spells . I think his spells (current ones) are way too dependent on intelligence and don't really show his true role as a tank , and i think he should have some spells that buff his armor/hp for example or something that depends on his armor/hp/strength . For instance , Berserker is the damage dealer and his spells emphasize that so i think this should be reflected on the Crusader as a Tank . In addition , What about the map developments ... any new quests/areas/bosses ?
    I really like this game and hope you put your best into to it.
    Good on you , Zwiebelchen

5. SHBlade

SHBlade

Resources:
    Resources:
    Read forum carefully and u will find out what is going to be added/changed ;)

6. GIMLI_2

GIMLI_2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    isnt he tanky enough? he has heavy armor and can wear a shield. he also got a talent tree that makes him even more tanky. he needs those damage abilities, otherwise he wouldnt be able to hold aggro.

7. doubtful

doubtful

Resources:
    Resources:
    i dont remember for the past, but nowadays i tend to like your comments :)

8. doubtful

doubtful

Resources:
    Resources:
    Consider the simple fact that the class name is Crusader. Spells are part of his abilities.
    Skills are being made all the time and maybe such skills will come in the future (if not already).
    Your way of thinking kills any diversity Zwieb is trying to create. If im not wrong we try to avoid the holy trinity in gaias (Tank/DD/Healer) and make it more complex. If it was to stick to holy trinity then there would be no reason to create diversity in the first place, we would have only 3 classes without skill trees or whatever. One dd, one healer one tank. how many ppl would play that ? i think none.

9. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I dont necessarily agree with the holy trinity thing. I think of the tank//DD//healer split as a generally a good idea to make a game more tactical. I tried to make it a bit more complex by adding true support classes to the game but it still is the trinity system at the core. And imho thats not a bad thing as it makes class choices matter more.

On topic: i think i will go for the selectable skin idea temporary for the next update and not remove the armor models... for now. I figured i waste too much time on this texture making and want to work on content again for a change. I bet you guys agree on this. So the next mini update will have 2-3 selectable skins per base class, the hair color thing and the much needed bugfixes. I will make more textures later...

10. SHBlade

SHBlade

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, fine for me :D

11. amer123

amer123

Resources:
    Resources:
    Damage spells ?:goblin_jawdrop: his "damage" spells depend on his spellpower , so if you build him full intelligence that might work , but he will lack alot from his strength and therefore will lack in attack damage and spells like revenge and hateful strike will be nullified because they depend on his AP . And if you balance him between both , then imo it just wont be worth it because he would average rather than having something extreme and special in him.

12. FunnyDog

FunnyDog

Resources:
    Resources:
    I guess you should take a better look at the skill "Celestial Zeal". It compensates the problems that you are mentioning here.

13. GasQueen

GasQueen

Resources:
    Resources:
    Spells like Crucify and Celestial Zeal were made back when it was only dungeon 3. Back then, it was everyone's choice to go full int with a Crusader, otherwise those two spells wouldn't work. From then on, as content was expanded, Crusader got two more spells (Emergency and Guardian Angel). This latter ones, as you can see, are not damage spells. Guardian Angel, for instance, is an exceptional spell which grants you the possibility to compensate for the lack of damage spells every other class got, so it wouldn't be a pain in the ass to hold aggro with the Crusader. Plus, with the implementation of the Talent Tree, Crusader (and every other class for that matter) became more diverse when it comes to different builds, so as to not make every class a linear and unique build.

On the other hand, somewhere in the forums it was stated that the Crusader would become more flexible in terms of stats builds. In fact, I think there is a list of new spells which will come with 1.2B, where it describes some Crusader spells based on str.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this.

14. amer123

amer123

Resources:
    Resources:
    You do realize that Celestial Zeal has a strength penalty , and actually emphasizes what im saying that he always lacks in something important.

and i mean by saying " And if you balance him between both , then imo it just wont be worth it because he would average rather than having something extreme and special in him. " that if u build him half intel half strength , then i don't think his potential power as a class would level with the other classes .

i just think that he needs a general buff on his spells .

15. GIMLI_2

GIMLI_2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    celestials zeal gives him a penalty in strength, but also gives him extra magic damage per hit, so his attacks should do almost the same damage.

16. Ihazdialup

Ihazdialup

Resources:
    Resources:
    Celestial Zeal has a strength penalty yes, but you gain a higher net-worth of damage by using zeal, as your base intelligence is more than 15, as with zeal 1 int = 1.2 ap (+1 damage and a proc that does (.2Xsp) so you actually gain a higher damage output per hit with intelligence. Yeah, strength adds armor penetration, but that can be ignored if you get the talent that increases aggro produced by magic damage, actually causing you to create more aggro, even with the decrease in strength and ArP.

Also as with builds, this is going to be compeltely different next version as there is going to be a complete overhaul in the skill system,

About the idea buffing his armor and hp through abilities..... He gets a self heal spell, which can almost be considered a health buff, he gets the second highest armor in the game, only behind a specifically/shitty build monk, and I can personally vouch, that gear will be an easy compensation for not having an ability to increase armor/health, he already has more than enough of both, more than enough to be near unkillable if your healer isn't half brain dead, and I personally believe that Crusader shouldnt get so overly tanky to the point that you can ignore the mechanics, and a small increase in armor or health that wont make him overly tank in my opinion would have to be pretty small that it would be pointless.

Then about lack of diversity in how hes set up, how its bias towards intelligence builds, thats only currently, as he has technically 3 skills based off of intelligence currently, though only 2 effectively help you gain aggro, and 1 strength based skill, Shield Slam, however in the next version it should balance out more as Crusader is gaining 1 SP based skill, and 2 str based skills
    This should balannce out how str and intelligence are weighted, and making it so you can go 2 paths, a more crowd control AoE tank with using the intelligence path, or more of a boss tank using the str path.

Don't take this as me bashing Amer's ideas or what he said, I'm just trying to clear some things up and giving my own thoughts on his ideas

17. amer123

amer123

Resources:
    Resources:
    Then whats the point of the spell ? if he gets a mere extra magic damage if at all .

A berserker can have almost the same amount of armor but berserker has the upper hand in damage ....

18. GIMLI_2

GIMLI_2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    the point of the spell is to have an int crusader that is still able to deal decent damage with his attacks.

19. SHBlade

SHBlade

Resources:
    Resources:
    First of all Zerk is dps class so he's meant to do big dmg. Moreover to make good dmg on Zerk in 1.2A u need to play with 2h weapon, this build will stop u at ~56 armor while Crus has ~78 and can heal himself for ~500 every 9 sec. That's big difference for me ;)

20. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Also, remember that wearing a shield yields a flat 20% absorb for all frontal attacks; this absorb is applied before the armor point based reduction, so it results in an even higher mitigation than just 20% more armor.

Monks steel body armor bonuses and higher evasion scores are meant to compensate for the 20% mitigation loss from not wearing a shield. Which still makes the monk a less reliable tank in terms of mitigation.

2H Berserkers are currently viable tanks, as the bosses don't hit very hard in melee. This is basicly working as intended. Remember that all the bosses you have in 1.2A are basicly meant for gearing up. All bosses that will come with 1.2B will hit significantly harder than that.
    Also, the fourth dungeon will start with a traditional "gear check" encounter: a very hard hitting tank & spank encounter with enrage timer, making sure you can't progress in D4 unless you have at least geared up to the point of having a full 5 man group with blue level 50 gear. It will be a pain in the ass to balance (I'm counting on you beta-testers here ;) ), but I think a soft-attunement in terms of a gear check will be necessary to give the dungeon an epic feel.
    So yeah, I don't expect you will be able to tank this with a 2H zerker (1H and shield zerker, on the other hand, might work with the skills of the OP).