• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unique Tower Defense Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Hi guys,

I am in the mood to start developing a new project and I feel like making a tower defense (TD). But not just any TD - a unique one, one that has something that is totally different from any other TD. What do you think would make an awesome TD?

I was think of something like being able to summon your own units that run down and attack the creeps, but they wouldn't be too strong. Anyone got a good idea?

Thanks,

Mr_Bean

Level 14
I'd say tower combos for one. It would be about every tower have an attack effect and different towers can stack their effect so the damage will be multiplied.

I also suggest you to bring some interesting to the maze ex:
-You can block the maze with destroyable barricades
-The maze is changing with every round.. (maybe moving core)

Make it intense, most td-s (like Green TD) are great, but after lot of playing it's get easy and boring. Let it be hard and fast, so the ppl who play it would say: 'Whoa this was great lets try it again so we wont fall at the beginning'

The summon idea you wrote is makeable, go on with it if you like it. But you should make it different from LegionTD.
The way of the summoning should be unique, maybe Barracks send a group each wave, or the towers "channel" units (if they run out of power warriors die)

These are bad, suddenly gathered ideas, but they maybe help you to pick a way, and start developing :)

Level 17
Thanks for the reply! Would you be interested in helping more? Perhaps supplying more ideas? Helping with terrain? I would like to give towers spells (similar to Element TD, if you have played it), to make it more interesting.

Do you think it would work if I had multiple points where enemies could spawn and multiple routes they could take to the core? I personally think this could work, but I need more opinions.

Level 14
Actually I'm making my own TD with someone at the moment, so I want to focus on that.
But i can always help with ideas!

Tower abilities are a really good idea, also you can code some unique spells what are more useful in TD maps. For example knockback, blocking spells, and AOE spells.
It would help making the map more interesting, if different towers would be good against different attackers (air, ground, mechanical, or w/e you figure out)

I'm not sure about multiple routes yet, but if the routes are more or less equal, it would be good. For example if every time, a different player could get to the creeps first, and the sequence of the defenders would be always different. -But its quite hard to imagine a terrain like this.

I suggest to wait for another ideas, because i'm afraid these suggestions wont make a clearly original tower defense map in this state. I'll be around and helping for that time ;)

Level 17
Okay, cool. Good luck with the project.

I will experiment with different ideas, like the multiple routes, and see how it turns out.

I don't want to make different attack types -vs- different armour types, perhaps just certain towers can only attack air, certain tower have splash damage etc.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
1. be able to build tempoary traps on the walk road example; fire trap damages every unit who walk on it for 10 hp.

2.buy expensive upgrades that tempoary affects the creep wave. 10 less creeps on each side, reduced movement speed (20%) etc etc.

3. building specific types of tower close to eachother may grant bonuses

Level 17
So I need ideas for terrain. I really suck at it and can't seem to get anything going. Perhaps you guys could share your thoughts on how you think the terrain should roughly look? I'm mainly trying to get creep lanes going, then I will worry about the details later.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
this a unique idea of td (i think).

gameplay

there is one shop/upgrade center at the middle of the map.
after every wave you get teleported there to upgrade your towers etc
the waves spawn at random points at the map but atleast 1000 awey from the shop
your unit is moveable and you got to survive the waves by building walls and towers and traps.

terain

to such nice terain as possible you can just do a big forest with alot of tree to run behind.

towers;

walls
traps
slow/posion towers
etc

Level 14
Chaosy's idea rocks hard!

Just at a tower defense map, there should be a thing to protect. For example at a forest there would be a unicorn, which evil hordes are trying to catch for its blood.
And you have to protect the unicorn, what can move, so you may go after it and do new defenses with each wave.
With all the running around, it would be more like a survival, so towers have to be the primary tools to survive with.

The interesting part of the game would be that you have to defend at a different location every time?
And you could buy upgrades in the shop for the next round before every wave. (Like tower boosts ,enemy negative buffs, unlock technologies for stronger towers, etc)

Players should work together to save the unicorn(or whatever) but the enemies would come from each way, so its more like building a base, than a maze (imo)

Mr.Bean@ How many players you want in your map?

Level 17
I prefer the idea of having one point where enemies have to get to. When an enemy gets there, the player whos side it came from loses a life. Enemies could come from multiple different places for each player, which makes it more interesting and difficult.

How many players? I'm not sure. How many would be ideal?

Level 14
4-8 i think, 4 because you have at least 4 sides, and 8 because you will never get more ppl into your host.

So what you want for the objective is regular TD-like.
Then we will have to bring as many changes to the gameplay as we can.

For example, waves are compounded from different units ex:Tanks, Fast units, Immunes, Swarm units. And you have to make the best killer tower against all of them. (But if i remember right, you said you don't want to do this)

Or do a td, where are no waves, or at least there are just special waves, and the attackers flow from the portal during all the game. They are damaging your walls/gates all along the game, if they are strong enough, they can break leaks into your wall, so some of them can get through your lines.
I dont know if its a good idea, or possible, but mass upgrades and buffs would be really useful, and effective in a game like this.

Level 11
I was working on à td not so long ago and had a nice feature i think :) the builders are heroes with three stats:

Income - increases gold gained after each completed wave by 10%.
Tech - Each point increases the heroes passive skill by 1. Also unlocks new towers and upgrades.
Magic - increases heroes mana by 5. Also unlocks new spells for the hero.

The heroes have one passive skill (for example à damage bonus aura for your towers) which is upgraded by the tech stat. They also have four active spells (for example temporary gold boost from kills) which are unlocked at 5, 15, 30 and 50 magic points.

The magic skills have à moderate cooldown and if heroes start at 100 mana they can cost around 70-100 mana each. The heroes have no mana regen but regains all their mana after each wave. It adds more skill to the game to use your spells at the right time and also allows players to try different stat builds.

Heroes have à primary stat which increases by 1 every level and gets two skill points to put where they want. The heroes level up after each wave and gains no experience during waves.

Also it is nice with boss waves that has some tactics, examples:
1. Boss casts à dmg reduction spell which lasts à little longer than it takes for him to reach the point of interest, so you either need to slow him so the debuff fades out or some insane damage.
2. Boss activates à mana shield. Has large mana regen but not very big mana pool, so you need à strong burst in the beginning to break the shield so the towers behind can kill the boss (ideally cast à dmg boost spell on your towers for extra burst).
3. Boss summons à dummy add with so high defense it cant be killed so players has to manually order towers to attack the boss instead. Alternately the boss could summon adds far ahead so they dont have as far to run to the point of interest.

---------------

Note: add quotes and special effects if you use bosses, make it clear its à boss :) like weather effects, night/day change, Rain of fires or something at random places around the map ;)

Last edited:
Level 17
Wow, those are great ideas. I like the idea of having a hero builder with skills etc.

So do you never actually learn the skills? They are upgraded with each tech stat and unlocked when your maximum mana reaches a certain amount?

So there would be, for example, three different hero types, each with a different primary stat? How much should the non-primary stats increase by per level?

Also, nice boss ideas. I will probably add them if I ever get the map going. I don't know how to start the terrain yet. What would you recommend? One large lane where players work together? Or each player has a separate lane to defend, then players compete to see who can survive the longest?

Level 11
I made à dummy upgrade requirement on the spells and towers called "5 points in tech" or "15 points in magic" etc. And when à hero lvls up you check if the hero has 5 tech or magic or whatever and if it does, research the dummy upgrade for the player, which in turn unlocks à new spell or tower.

I made the spells already there on the heroes but you can make them buy spells when they have enough in the magic stat if you want more customization.

The mana increase from the magic stat is just to allow the hero to cast more spells during each round since they dont have any mana regen.

I can send you my map so you can see how it works :)

Level 14
Why not put lives degeneration who force you to win lives by buying them at incredible price like 1000*number of time you bought a live.
And an bad ending where you discorver you were defending a doomsday machine when you throught it were a machine for saving the world or something like that(I never see that in any tower defense).

Level 11
Oh okay. Did you complete the project? I would love to see your progress, and I promise I won't steal anything :p

It only have 1 hero, only supports 1 player and only 20/50 waves are done (not completely balanced). All towers and spells are not done either but if you try and play it im sure you can find some inspiration :)

Im not sure if i will finnish it so feel free to take whatever you want from it :)

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=jn76nj

Last edited:
Level 17
I have tried to come up with some sort of terrain. This is what I have so far:

imagerxb.jpgp
imagerxb.jpg

I placed a peasant in the middile to give an idea of the scale. What do you guys think? Obviously it's not complete, it's just to get an idea of what I'm thinking.

The creeps would come from the top (I will probably add more possible spawn points) and head towards the bottom. Whenever they reach a crossroads in the paths, they will randomly select a path to choose.

EDIT:
So I tried to improve the terrain:

image2zt.jpg

All the places with "Grassy Dirt" terrain is buildable. What do you think?

Last edited:
Level 2
If you want to get real crazy, you could create really unique things such as a tower that allows slow effects to stack. I might post more ideas as I think of them.

Level 17
Yes, I want a lot of focus to be on the towers. I intend to add lots of spells to towers etc.

Here is another screenshot:

newpr.jpg

I added in the teleporter where the creeps head for.

EDIT:
I have tried to add different environments for the players, to make it more interesting. Here is what I have so far:

newmwc.jpg

Last edited:
Level 14
I hope you liked my post about the watery towers I wrote in the main topic.
Suggestions by me:
- Make the terrain count, be an eyecandy - that alone would make your TD unique because lets face it TD terrains are so bleh. I love terraining playable zones so if I can offer you my services I will.
- Make a small inside castles ====> You defend a castle and when you leak enemies they enter inside it. For each player there will be their own castle. In the castle yard you must prevent them from entering it by building defenders which will have their own upgrades and statistics. That way you not only defend with towers but also can choose to fortify the castle instead with large army.
- Make towers gain bonus abilities when certain other towers are built next to them. This would work with aura-checking trigger I guess.
- Make towers being able to upgrade diffrent parts of themselves to be effective vs various enemies.(making dummy units with diffrent phoenix-fire like spells - the same way as the battle tanks AOS )
- Make heroes that can go inside the castle to defend the castle yard or garrson them into towers.
- COOL TERRAIN PLS

Level 17
Nice ideas. I am still in very early development stages...
I will need someone to do terrain later, so I will let you know.

What do you guys think: when towers upgrade should they have a different model and name or same model (except a different tinting colour and size)?

Status
Not open for further replies.