• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Delay Tower Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Since most of my project were almost complete, I started to think about making a TD map.

However, I would like a opinion about this Tower Defense map before I start to develop it.

It was consist of 7 lanes and 10 players with red, blue and teal guarding the generator at the middle of the map.

Player 4-10 would have their own personal shield, which have approximate 300 lives and have to be defense by them at all cost. If their shield destroy, they are defeated.

But the difference is, if the generator at the middle of the map (700 lives) destroy. All player would be defeated even though their shield is still much alive. How could this happen ? This happen when some of the 7 player (Player 4-10) dies and the creep was heading towards the generator.

The main question is, what's make this tower defense different compare to other TD ?

In this TD, none of the tower able to kill creep due to the low damage. Infact, those tower duty ain't to kill creep but rather slow them down or delay their time from reaching their goals.

Creep would lost their hp by % over the time limit. For example, every 5 seconds the creep would lost 10% of their hp.

Tower in this TD style map would either frost, stun, poison, cyclone or roots the creep to prevent it from reaching the goal before they dying. Of course, there could be a tower that could destroy their hp much faster. But those tower are final stage tower, where the % of the creep hp deduction would take longer duration.

How do player 1-3 earn gold ? They could build structure that automatically gives them gold every seconds and etc etc.

What do you think about it ?

Level 7
Sounds nice, except for players 4-10:
How do they earn gold? When a creep is killed, the defender gets gold I assume.

And why 7 lanes? Do red, blue, and teal get to share a huge circle, or do each defend 2(and 1 for whoever wants it, or to share) lanes themselves?

Also, if you are red, blue, or teal, with pros (people will be looking for pros to beat the game) then you will have to wait the whole game for someone to lose and only be able to give gold(if allowed) to others. If you don't want those 3 to become bored, then obviously you might have to make it so outer defenders lose eventually but then, why would people play as outer people if they know they have a higher chance of losing.

sorry if this doesn't make sense...just typing as I think

Level 31
Once the level is completed, all player would earn gold. Remember, those creep cannot be killed, they lost life by % per seconds.

Player 1-3 could earn gold personally by gathering gold from gold mine, they could be a banker (provide gold and lumber to player 4-10) to ensure their shield stay alive.

Of course, they could build defense to help player 4-10 as well.

Level 10
This has to be the most original TD ever :wgrin: but it could get tight when not being able to get money during the waves without players 1-3 sending money :wscrolleyes: maybe do something like if a creep dies in your lane you get money for that? Anyways this sounds awesome and I would love to play a TD like this :wgrin:

Level 2
it sounds like a nice idea dude:) but what i was wondering. wouldnt it be dead boring for player red, blue and teal if their purpose is to get gold and give to other players? especially if no shields get broken the entire game. you said that they cud build with other players (4-10) but they won't get gold for helping other players? well, u gotta find balance in gold-giving then:) gl mate

Level 13
Just_Spectating, my guess is that the map maker has in mind to not let you make mazes but at the same time the map will already have a maze that the runners have to go through...this is of course speculation, but even so, if he hasn't thought of it, he probably ought to implement it since it's probably a good idea.

although it might be hard to do considering that there are so many players in the TD but i think a larger map size would fix the problem. don't know. depends on how much hp they have and how much they lose. my bet is it's not going to be like death and decay (percentage) but rather it will be done by a fixed ammount of damage per interval (earthquake) .

Level 13
what the heck? no no no no no...then how do you make one unit buffer than another? haha. well, anyways... oh well i guess you could change the duration...

anyways! i just wanted to mention that if you're gonna do hp, and if you re-use units by adjusting their hp percentage on some levels as compared to others, that's fine i suppose, but not if you don't tell the user how much hp percent is on the unit! i've played some TD where they do that and it's really annoying to think, oh yeah! this level is easy only to realize it's quite hard because you thought your towers brought them down to red hp when they were already in red hp. so if you want to re-use the units that way, you're probably too lazy to make more custom units, but if you're going to do it anyway, at least give a message to the players saying that it's X percent full HP please TD makers!

Level 13
You know what i guess you could do to make it fair, Septimus...

...is to disable the gold earned from creep kills somehow. So that the gold mining or building earns gold periodically stuff is all fair.

other options include giving players heroes and possibly even troops to work with, and some creeps to kill which would spawn periodically, or possibly according to rounds...which aren't runners. plus you could perhaps make the runner units all be classified as sappers, and make it so that all towers can attack sappers but that the hero and troops cannot attack sappers. sappers are also referred to as suicidal.

doing something like this would fit a slow pace style tower defense. if your map is slow paced, which it sounds like it could very well be, you might consider adding this feature, especially since heroes and creeps are such a fun part of warcraft melee.
if you did that you probably don't need to take away the creep bounty for the runners because the tower builders at the front won't have as much time to creep as the tower builders in the back.
of course if you go with this idea you'll need to make towers not hurt the non runner creeps because otherwise people would camp the spawn point and besides that it would be too difficult balancing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.