• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] Opposing teams send waves to eachother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Team survival map where creep waves are choosen by one team, to be sent to the other. So at the end of each wave/round, players will have the opportunity to buy gear, level talents, etc etc and choose the creeps that the opposing team will fight in the next round. The idea is that players will smartly choose creeps that their enemies are weak against EG sending counter-meele troops ( thorns, blind, evade ) against a team with a lot of meele damage dealers, or sending spell-immune troops against mage-heavy teams.

I think its a great idea ( has it been done already? ), but i dont know how it should be implemented..

Theres a TD game called CreepTD that has a really interesting mechanic similar to the idea im presenting here: players send creeps to eachother, and doing so increases their gold income. Every few seconds, every player gets +x gold. Sending creeps increases that amount permanently, so that sending creeps is crucial in the long term -> you want to send as many as possible, even if it doenst end your opponent. However, you must balance that out with your defenses ( towers ), cuz being unable to defend yourself against the enemies sent creeps will result in a loss. So you find yourself in that constant struggle: invest too much, and you die; invest too little, and you die.

In a war3 map, the tower investment ( + defenses ) would happen in the form of items. Each player can buy extra gear, thus becoming more powerful, or invest into getting more gold by sending creeps to the opposing team. Do you think that would work?

Similar to how in TD games certain towers do more damage to certain units, a elemental resistance thing could very much work for the map ( armor counters physical, and each spell school - nature,frost,fire,arcane and shadow - gets their own resistance ), so that a well balanced team would not only have a good "class" sinergy ( someone tanks, someone heals etc ), but a way around each elemental resistance.

I was thinking about the problem where in a said round, one team sends zero creeps and focus on buying gear, resulting in no fun for the other team.

Maybe a better way to set two team to compete is just sending the same randomly generated creep waves to both until one of them dies(loses)?

Or maybe it would be better to not have a round sistem so that the game never really stops, waves coming constantly.

Said map yould also offer a single team mode where players work toghether against the computer, who sends randomly generated enemy waves each round.

What do you guys think?? would it work out?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I played 8 or so years ago Hero Line Wars. Maybe it bears some resemblance. But of course you can make your own interpretation on it, I find wave and inflation concepts very intriguing and there are dozens of ways to implement those into a HLW kind of map.

Level 5
I played 8 or so years ago Hero Line Wars. Maybe it bears some resemblance. But of course you can make your own interpretation on it, I find wave and inflation concepts very intriguing and there are dozens of ways to implement those into a HLW kind of map.

Just looked that up and yea, the income thing seems to be just like that, altho from the video i found im not sure there was a progressive upgrade mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.