• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

New Magic the Gathering Tower Defense

Does my Concept match to a maze?

• Nope , better create a normal Tower defense

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The concept is a waste of time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
This Thread has no relation to the existing MtG maps

My Basic Idea is to create a Tower defense based on Magic the Gathering.
But it will contain a couple of new things.

Concept:

I am going to create 5 Armour and Attack typed for the Towers and Waves (colors of the Cardgame) ->Mountain(Red) , Island(Blue) , Forest(Green) , Plains(White) and Swamps(Black)
Im not sure now how much damage each type will deal to the other color but i will decide it while balancing

The main new part of this Tower defense which makes it special are the resources. You will gain "Gold"(or something similar) for completing waves and for killing the mobs but its not directly usable for Towers. Im going to make it similar to the cardgame that towers cost e.g. 3 mountain ans 1 forest or something. each player has the 5 countries which create the resource for each player. At the beginning each player will gain +1 of each per round but these buildinge will be upgradeable that they will grant more each round ( 5 , 10 and so on each round) .. means that the player can decide which elements he want to gain and also has to plan ahead to get enought strenght of each color. Of course there will be an option to directly buy these resources it should be if you really need them now.

Thats the basic idea i am going to build in my Tower defense.
What do you think of the idea?

But my main probem is that i dont know which kind of Towr defense i am going to create... i wanted to create a maze but im not sure if it isnt to complex for it ... ( options are if i should create t a bit like Elemental TD or more like Artifact TD)

Level 15
Thanks for your reply , but the question was not exactly if Magic The Gathering fits to a maze.
I am doubting if the Cencept of using the resources (look in my descrition) would be too complex for a maze

In a normal TD you can focus of the buildings and so on

but building my idea into a maze would mean to mind your maze , the Towers AND the new concept with the 5 lands... maybe its to confusing

Level 15
Ok , i already started and all things seem to work really fine.

The resource system works and my new way of building the Towers works too.
The Builder is not able to "build" any towers , he has 5 items in his inventory with the spellbook ability containing 5 abilities which build the Towers (the abilities of the 5 human items which allow to build sth).
that forces me to not use gold costs (mana costs would be possible) but i have to use a custom system anyway cuz of my 5 different resources .
The only disadvantage is that i cannot create more than 5 abilities for one spellboook but there are 5 items which will get 2 different levels which means i could make up to 2*5*5=50 base Towers

Level 7
hey jonny. I'm also making a MTG td. But your ideas are really different to mine. So keeo up the good work ;)

Level 7
Hmm ok the concept DOES fit into a TD. Making it like elemental TD would be cool. But you may hear: "eeh, that's stolen!" Because elemental also uses the 5 (or 4? dunno) colors...

But the upgradable lands are a cool idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.