• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ujimasa Hojo's Resources Discussion

Level 60
For the Night Elves, I like the Warlock, even if it doesn't make sense for NE. However, if you have gone full-bore into making a custom model out of the Blood Mage (-> War Mage), you really oughta make a simple change to the fire SFX around his metal balls; green = infernal = demonic, which kinda seems weird (see Warlock).

For the Naga... I'm lovin' that waterfall on the Mage Tower redux. The Arcane Vault now looks almost too much like the Coral Beds, but it does help distinguish it from the Human's Arcane Vault. The Town Hall is sick as always... But what did you change on the Pool?

Man, you are amazing. When do you find the time to do all this & keep updating it? What motivates you?

Mind you, the Night Elf Mages/Warlocks are supposed to be Highborne, hence the white hair. The Pool was polished in terms of wrapping mainly.

This stuff is like a hobby of mine. Working on ideas kinda relieves stress but only if these ideas naturally came into mind.

Level 9
I like how Ujimasa sometimes focuses on a single race per month. It makes me think that he has a calendar specifically for modeling, wherein at the start of a new year he just jots down a specific theme on each month. Then crosses off a set once the month is over.

Anyways, I was wondering if you'd be open to the idea of a second Discussion Thread which focuses on Map themed Suggestions and Ideas. So that this thread wouldn't be too cluttered should people want to give suggestions or simply report in bugs from your maps( also there's that bug on the Tomb of Sargeras( or was it Zandalar?) map on the Desolation set wherein you can't buy the "Blighted Land thing" from the Undead Scourge shop because the item still requires the "Graveyard" to be built).

On a Side note, A Forest Troll Bat rider model sounds like a good idea. Would'nt you agree, Kyrbio? :p

Last edited:
Level 60
The general path I followed/am following is Human>Orcs>Night Elf>Undead>Demon>Others for "optimization" of the Heroes at least. After that, I'll go to units and then buildings. Every now and then, I deviate kinda like for the Naga buildings.

As for the map, I'm not really into changing stuff anymore. I will just fix errors. No use for a separate thread because I won't be working on that department much.

Level 12
You seem butthurt lol.

Constantly annoying the Thread creator with the same request over and over again will not help you

What I gave you is a temporary solution until Hojo goes to make more orc units and maybe, MAYBE, he will start making Iron Horde units

And besides. most Iron horde Orcs are actually Mag'hars loyal to Grom

Level 7
I was catching up on some lore and I wanted to pass a suggestion (not a request) to you Ujimasa. With the new Legion expansion in WoW, Nightborne Elves were introduced and I thought it would be pretty cool if they had some architecture (buildings)!

Incase you have not heard of Nightborne Elves here is a little background:
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Nightborne

Although there is limited information to work on as of right now, I think it would be pretty cool and maybe could provide you with something that's new and refreshing. Additionally, for the most part I think there's enough pictures to go off of that provide a basic idea for buildings. See below:

234611-albums6965-picture104985.png

234611-albums6965-picture104986.jpg

Looking at these images, blue and purple seem to be the most prominent colors as well as some white. With these 3 color changes applied, I think the highborne buildings you made in the past would work wonderfully as architecturally, highborne and nightborne buildings seem to be the same with just a difference in color.

Just a suggestion of course, but the building blocks are there in my opinion!

Level 7
Making building for some made-up, ultra minor race instead of some well known major race is just pure stupidity!

Expressing your opinion is perfectly acceptable but including insults is unnecessary. In addition, claiming that that a race is "made-up" when I provided adequate proof that they exist in WoW lore via link is denying fact. Also your idea of a "major race" is a matter of opinion.

Well Murloc huts are great if you ask me, he just needs to use his imagination!

Can we expect to see more troggs? Like some normal infantry units?

I honestly had no idea Murlocs and Troggs were "major races" as for the most part, most of them are completely mindless. What constitutes a "major race" in your opinion?

There are several sets Ujimasa has made such as Lost Ones, Wretched, Bandit, and Barrens that were made for races I wouldn't exactly consider "major races." Based on your logic, are you insinuating that the creator of these models is "stupid"?

No idea why you chose to bash my suggestion, really.

Level 10
What is wrong with this guy?

Chillin.

And besides. most Iron horde Orcs are actually Mag'hars loyal to Grom

No they're just normal uncorrupted Orcs pre-blood drinking. Mag'har was a term created after the events of the Dark Portal as a term for orcs that didn't drink the demon blood.

Making building for some made-up, ultra minor race instead of some well known major race is just pure stupidity!
No idea why you chose to bash my suggestion, really.

I mean both are minor races, but who says it shouldn't be done? There should be a set for everything! Troggs, Nightborn, you name it, then it should be created. :grin: No suggestion is a bad suggestion. Even if you gotta suggest it multiple times. ;)

Level 15
I see that you are butthurt for no apparent reason. And you went through my old comments to prove something? I mean, first, I didn't offended anyone, I just expressed my opinion about it. I still think it is stupid to make buildings just to have them here, like Lost Ones for example. I mean they are cool and all, but honestly they are redundant. No one is going to make map based around those races. They are just going to sit here without any use.
And I said made-up, in term Blizzard made-up that race just to have something new, we are going to see them in Legion, and they are going to be forgotten. While on the other side, you have Jungle Trolls, really, really popular and important race with no buildings or Gnomes or Tauren, hell even Pandarens.

So to translate my comment, I meant, it is stupid to start making buildings for minor races, that we are never going to see in any map here on Hive, except maybe some Legion related campaign (it is not going to be finished anyways). Because of that, it is better to make buildings for some really popular races without any buildings!

On Hive it is always same. Blizzard announces new expansion. 14 year old kids are hyped. They start making threads about campaigns, altered melees, risk type maps, they beg for models for those new races etc. After awhile hype is dead, and those threads/project are forgotten. I know, because I was one of them.

And I mentioned Murloc huts as models that he can use in making buildings for Jungle Trolls, because they are in similar style, I didn't mention buildings for Murlocs as race at all. About Troggs, well I checked his other Trogg models, and he lacked "normal" Trogg melee unit. And if someone wants to make something with them, like battle for Gnomergan or something in Khaz Modan, then it is going to be tough without "normal" Troggs, because I had idea to do something like that!

Level 7
I didn't offended anyone, I just expressed my opinion about it. I still think it is stupid to make buildings just to have them here...
As I stated, having an opinion is perfectly acceptable. If you think something is stupid then hey, that's your thought on it. However, actively choosing to express it in a way that is far from polite can be taken as offensive.

"Making building for some made-up, ultra minor race instead of some well known major race is just pure stupidity!"

You chose to say it that way. You could have said "I am of a different opinion" or "I disagree" but you found it necessary to post the above instead. Then you claim that your statement isn't offensive? Not very believable in my opinion.

...we are going to see them in Legion, and they are going to be forgotten. While on the other side, you have Jungle Trolls, really, really popular and important race with no buildings or...

So to translate my comment, I meant, it is stupid to start making buildings for minor races, that we are never going to see in any map here on Hive... it is better to make buildings for some really popular races without any buildings!

This argument is purely opinion with no factual basis. How do you know what is important and what is not? People all love different things. Stating that no one is going to make a map out of certain races or that races will be forgotten is purely your thoughts on the matter. I wouldn't have suggested Nightborne if I didn't have plans to use it. So if I plan on using it, by your statement, doesn't that mean we are going to see those buildings in a map?

After awhile hype is dead, and those threads/project are forgotten. I know, because I was one of them.

Unfortunate, that sucks, but strictly speaking that's a personal issue.

...because I had idea to do something like that!

Just like I have ideas to do a race of Nightborne, as well as some others. Some I chose to follow through with and some I didn't. Regardless, I'm not going to outwardly state to someone else that their ideas are "stupid" because I don't feel the same way. That would be arrogant and rude of me.

Like I said, having an opinion is perfectly fine. But if you're not going to express it politely then you should have no problems expecting the same in return.

So Nightborne = Dark Elves, for the good side, most of the units that one could need for melee race are in the skin section, Heart of the Storms mod, have heroes, and maybe skins for buildings that Ujimasa could recycle.

You figured out my plans!

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 10
So Nightborne = Dark Elves, for the good side, most of the units that one could need for melee race are in the skin section, Heart of the Storms mod, have heroes, and maybe skins for buildings that Ujimasa could recycle.

Yeah Blizzard is finally putting the drow and driders, aka your classic fantasy Dark Elves to WoW under the name Nightborne/Nightfallen, the latter being the above mentioned and the first being more like super advanced elves.

Level 7
Yeah Blizzard is finally putting the drow and driders, aka your classic fantasy Dark Elves to WoW under the name Nightborne/Nightfallen, the latter being the above mentioned and the first being more like super advanced elves.

I had the same thoughts as you but with the new datamined files I'm thinking that nightborne are drows, and nightfallen are drows who are basically mana starved. Here is what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmtlfRKze3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gpJHM-q6Ds

Interestingly they are called nightborne mutants rather than nightfallen mutants. Their bodies look "fuller," so to speak, compared to current images of nightfallen (practically skin and bones) which indicates that these mutants are not mana starved. Everything is alpha of course, but it appears to me that the nightborne are more sinister than they seem.

Level 15
Well being here for the last 6-7 years and follwing countless dead/abandoned project is enough experiance to say these things. And I see, your answers are really selective, you just take a fragment of pharagraph and answer it, ignoring everything else, because it fits in your story. But whatever, I said what I think. That was my opinion. I made a mistake answering to you, because your post was redundant and you were insulted for no reason. If you have some personal problems, go cure them somewhere else...

That is it from me, I am done talking about this!

Level 7
Well being here for the last 6-7 years and follwing countless dead/abandoned project is enough experiance to say these things. And I see, your answers are really selective, you just take a fragment of pharagraph and answer it, ignoring everything else, because it fits in your story. But whatever, I said what I think. That was my opinion. I made a mistake answering to you, because your post was redundant and you were insulted for no reason. If you have some personal problems, go cure them somewhere else...

That is it from me, I am done talking about this!

Being here for the last 6-7 years entitles you to nothing unfortunately. No idea why bringing that up matters since if you want to compare length I've been lurking on this site since it was created. Also "selecting answers" as you want to call it is basic literature. You analyze what is read and point out what you think are the key points. Your "mistake" wasn't answering me, your "mistake" was choosing to voice your opinion in a rude manner. Astonishing really, I thought that was obvious. By the way I quoted you fully this time, if that satisfies you. Adieu.

Level 10
Oh dear lord, please no more arguing. This thread has seen enough arguments from the previous months. Couldn't we just admire the models and suggest awesome ideas that Ujmasa could do should he find these ideas interesting?

I got something we can suggest..... :wink::grin:

I had the same thoughts as you but with the new datamined files I'm thinking that nightborne are drows, and nightfallen are drows who are basically mana starved. Here is what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmtlfRKze3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gpJHM-q6Ds

Interestingly they are called nightborne mutants rather than nightfallen mutants. Their bodies look "fuller," so to speak, compared to current images of nightfallen (practically skin and bones) which indicates that these mutants are not mana starved. Everything is alpha of course, but it appears to me that the nightborne are more sinister than they seem.

Yeah the Nightborne feed off the energy of the well in Suramar, and the Nightfallen are cast out and exiled, and left to be magic-deprived, aka Night Elf Wretched. The mutants are literally driders (half dark elf half spider).

Level 15
Those where living Night Elves that sayed behind? Why they stay behind, is there any explanation? And why are Nightfallen exiled? And how mutants are made??

Level 7
Those where living Night Elves that sayed behind? Why they stay behind, is there any explanation? And why are Nightfallen exiled? And how mutants are made??

From what I recall, when the well of eternity was shattered, Suramar and the elves living there managed to avoid destruction. To my knowledge, they erected a magic barrier which has allowed them to stay alive until now. During that time the highborne elves evolved and became nightborne. However, the Nightwell (their source of power) has become corrupted which has forced them to lower their barrier and work with Gul'dan who presumably tricked Grand Magistrix Elisunde (leader of the nightborne) into thinking that he could save her people. As for how mutants are made, no one really knows yet. My guess is since they are working with the Burning Legion that they have been demonically corrupted. Another plausible theory is that the corruption of their Nightwell is what caused them to mutate.

Level 10
From what I recall, when the well of eternity was shattered, Suramar and the elves living there managed to avoid destruction. To my knowledge, they erected a magic barrier which has allowed them to stay alive until now. During that time the highborne elves evolved and became nightborne. However, the Nightwell (their source of power) has become corrupted which has forced them to lower their barrier and work with Gul'dan who presumably tricked Grand Magistrix Elisunde (leader of the nightborne) into thinking that he could save her people. As for how mutants are made, no one really knows yet. My guess is since they are working with the Burning Legion that they have been demonically corrupted. Another plausible theory is that the corruption of their Nightwell is what caused them to mutate.

And the Nightfallen are the exiles of Suramar that are deprived of wells energies and become Wretched-like. They're the good guys supposedly...

Since you're working on Night Elves at the moment, Ujimasa, how about making a Night Elf swordsman based on the high elf one? Or maybe using the Spell Breaker? Like Black Rook Hold soldiers. Another suggestion is improved bear form and a cat form. And Maybe a flight form?

Maybe a Xavius based on an abomination or something similar like a wendigo?

Also, you should consider switching the color of the horns on the Furion model. The white horns he has in his Resto model would suit the Owlkin, fur robe version a lot better. The blue horns he has in the fur robe version better suit the Resto model.

Last edited:
Level 9
Yo Ujimasa, I found a bug again: the druids of the Claw & Talon are still using the Night Elven variant models instead of the Gilnean variants on the Desolation: Stratholme map.

A few map related suggestions:
- For the Desolation set:
1. Make the Mannoroth's Fury upgrade require either the Orc Blademaster hero or Far seer hero to fit the lore you've made better.
2. Replace current peasant model to the Gilnean peasant model to match the lore you've provided.

- For the Struggle for Azeroth set:
1. Change the Dark Horde's current Blademaster model to it's Fel Orc variant to make it more compatible with the faction once you've researched Mannoroth's Fury.
2. Change the Eastern Alliance's current Grand Marshal model to the Lord Commander's model.
3. Change the Western Alliance's current Demon Hunter model to the Demon Hunter (Hybrid) model. Rework the Keeper of the Grove into the Harvest Witch to add more Gilneans into the faction.

Well that's all for now. I hope you'd consider some of them ^^

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Mind you, the Night Elf Mages/Warlocks are supposed to be Highborne, hence the white hair. The Pool was polished in terms of wrapping mainly.
Ah. Well I wasn't complaining about the models themselves in anyway; more just the idea of Night Elf "Warlocks". Call it an "Arcanist" or whatever and I feel better. :p (note; you don't really have to do anything. Just a minor lore-wise complaint)

Ujimasa Hojo said:
This stuff is like a hobby of mine. Working on ideas kinda relieves stress but only if these ideas naturally came into mind.
Well de-stress away. : )

~~~

By the way, off-topic but how are things going over at SoL? The computer I normally used to visit that site has been... temperamental as of late, so I haven't been back (and just when I was starting to feel at home there)... Eh?

Level 7
The Highborne had Warlocks though, the only reason that Night Elves can't be warlocks is due to cultural reasons that were in response to the actions of the Highborne during the War of the Ancients.

Level 60
Ah. Well I wasn't complaining about the models themselves in anyway; more just the idea of Night Elf "Warlocks". Call it an "Arcanist" or whatever and I feel better. :p (note; you don't really have to do anything. Just a minor lore-wise complaint)

It's up to the map maker anyway what to call the units :p

By the way, off-topic but how are things going over at SoL? The computer I normally used to visit that site has been... temperamental as of late, so I haven't been back (and just when I was starting to feel at home there)... Eh?

Toxic as ever.

Level 8
I still throw my vote into Tauren buildings and units. We lack both, quite a bit. They are such an amazing race and could be quite something with more resources.