• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Translating Warcraft III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Sorry if I am posting on wrong place moderators you can delete it then, but I want to ask you guys something.. How can I translate Warcraft III Frozen Throne on other language. For example I want to translate it on Macedonian (Cyrillic). I have seen already other cyrillic languages of the game: Bulgarian, Russian.. Please help me, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, Macedonian is not an included language.
Either way, you can download Warcraft with a specific language pack from the Battle.net site. Create an account, add your game's cd key to your account and then you'll be given the choice to download the setup directly from their site, in whatever language is available.
Having a quick look at the site, these are the languages available to me:
EBmg4ij.png

Also, this is the wrong section to ask this, but eh. (Warcraft Town Hall would probably be the most appropriate)

You would grab an MPQ Editor and edit various strings within various files to be your target language (there are a lot of files though). Note things are processed differently depending on your localization. For example, Asian characters may appear correctly in a map under the Asian localization, but it can appear as garbage characters in English localizations.

Since you want to use Cyrillic, you'll have to keep that in mind. You may want to look into translating the Russian localization instead of the English one.

Level 2
You would grab an MPQ Editor and edit various strings within various files to be your target language (there are a lot of files though). Note things are processed differently depending on your localization. For example, Asian characters may appear correctly in a map under the Asian localization, but it can appear as garbage characters in English localizations.

Since you want to use Cyrillic, you'll have to keep that in mind. You may want to look into translating the Russian localization instead of the English one.

Can you give me tutorial bro? I really want to do it, no matter how many strings there are. Sorry if I am bothering you guys

Yeah, manually, one tooltip and name at a time.

You must be joking, right?

Sorry if I am posting on wrong place moderators you can delete it then, but I want to ask you guys something.. How can I translate Warcraft III Frozen Throne on other language. For example I want to translate it on Macedonian (Cyrillic). I have seen already other cyrillic languages of the game: Bulgarian, Russian.. Please help me, thanks!

You could simply edit font file inside .mpq (Fonts\FRIZQT__.TTF) or use local files to replace it into your own ascii characters. It will also only affect your Warcraft 3, others wont see.

Level 2
Knock it off you two.

OP, here's a Cyrillic-supporting font: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...e-98/making-world-editor-read-cyrillic-66702/ Don't know it it supports Macedonian-only characters like џ, ќ or њ, though.

P. S. You've seen maps in Bulgarian? Really?

I'm not sure about the maps i can't remember really, but game interface on that zamunda link I posted, yes... So I would like to learn how to do things like that, translate maps or the game interface for myself or help others for localizations..

I was reading on the net about those files with MPQ editor but I cant figure out what.. I think something like war3map.wts and something like that, but I can't find them where they are.. and some links on net or things you know like step by step if u can share with me to help me learn would be really appreciate guys. thank you so much already for sparing from your time for trying to help me..

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2
Is there a program for example which will open all strings on one side and let me put translations in same row for each word

Level 2
I was translating using MPQ editor and opening with wordpad and after finishing with some files i use file+save.. reopened the files nothing saved... what to do?

Level 2
Okay.. I found by myself how to edit but they are not implemented ingame and there are few mpqs with same strings.. please someone help me..

Roland

R

Roland

There's no any other solutions to have an easier way of translating Warcraft III's System language, Even tho what vKael said that there's some language packs available on the site. But if you want a different language, I prefer doing it manually one at the time, Even tho it takes a lot of effort, patience and time.

Level 2
There's no any other solutions to have an easier way of translating Warcraft III's System language, Even tho what vKael said that there's some language packs available on the site. But if you want a different language, I prefer doing it manually one at the time, Even tho it takes a lot of effort, patience and time.

War3xLocal.mpq should be translated only right?

Also, Im using LADIK MPQ EDITOR and select fdf file > edit file > translate strings > save > update mpq archive > nothing is translated when i open the game.. everything is the same. Tell me what i am doing wrong?

Keep an eye out for files from War3xlocal.mpq being overwritten by war3patch.mpq.

For example, I think that "UI\FrameDef\GlobalStrings.fdf" was this way. It shows up in War3xlocal.mpq, but editing it will have no effect because there is a second copy that overwrites the one in War3xlocal.mpq, and this second copy is instead in war3patch.mpq.

Edit: Also in "war3patch.mpq" all the files in Ladik's MPQ Editor show up as "xxxxxxxx.xxx" or something like that. To fix it, you have to give it a list file to tell it the names of the files you're looking for, then it can find them. (The war3patch.mpq file does not store the names of the files inside of it, just the data, so it cannot find them unless you provide the names)

Level 2
Keep an eye out for files from War3xlocal.mpq being overwritten by war3patch.mpq.

For example, I think that "UI\FrameDef\GlobalStrings.fdf" was this way. It shows up in War3xlocal.mpq, but editing it will have no effect because there is a second copy that overwrites the one in War3xlocal.mpq, and this second copy is instead in war3patch.mpq.

Edit: Also in "war3patch.mpq" all the files in Ladik's MPQ Editor show up as "xxxxxxxx.xxx" or something like that. To fix it, you have to give it a list file to tell it the names of the files you're looking for, then it can find them. (The war3patch.mpq file does not store the names of the files inside of it, just the data, so it cannot find them unless you provide the names)

EDIT: Yes its war3patch.mpq thats overwriting it.. thanks bro.

Last edited:
Level 1
Retera is right. Follow this instruction and translate your game manually!

Requirements: .MPQ editor (I recommend zezula)

For edit war3patch.mpq, download this .txt: MEGA

And patience...

Follow this guide step-by-step:

1.Open .MPQ editor.
2.In the editor open your "war3patch.mpq". For view this file we need a (listfile). Follow our .txt file and open it.
3.Now follow this directory:UI>Framedef>Globalstrings.fdf. Extract this text file to your desktop.
4.Translate the " < Translate here > ", Don't touch at around symbole. If you translate this file, contunie to next stage.
5.Now, open .MPQ editor and open war3.mpq. Go to our directory (On the 3. Stage) and drag your edited Globalstring.fdf file to here. Close this mpq and open war3xlocal.mpq. Do as the same process and close this mpq. And finally open war3patch.mpq and do as the same. (Firstly do 2. Stage process for view this file)

Now your game has been translated manually! Globalstrings.fdf has include Main menu, in game UI and Battle.net language. Not command and builds! I have found command and builds language file but it's hard for translate manually. I need open a new topic to tell it. And i suggest use Uni-Font for your language special character.

Use this instruction: Warcraft 3 Uni-Font Tutorial

For any question, I'm here...

And if you want picture for it, I can add it.

-Aldronic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.