1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Mapping] Top 10 Most Common Mistakes Done By Mapmakers

Discussion in '"Graveyard"' started by usfshihy, Jul 9, 2013.

1. usfshihy

usfshihy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Along my 4-year old experience playing Warcraft 3,I found many mistakes and leaks by many map makers.Today I will introduce you to some of those mistakes.

Top 10 Most Common Mistakes Done By Mapmakers

Number 10 : Smilies in Texts/Cinematics

One of the most disturbing mistakes done by map makers. It literally makes the map looks childish and bad looking. For example ; "To war men! :p", that's what I am talking about. See what I mean!

Number 9 : Grammatical Mistakes

Another very common problem is the several grammatical/spelling mistakes done with people whose their first language isn't English. PLEASE use a translator,thus you will write in your own language and receive fixed sentences with better and more heavy and emphasizing words.

Number 8 : Trolling The Import Manager

As I checked some of those over-sized maps I found out that 60% of the stuff imported are not even used. This is critical, I for example when i see a map with a bad terrain from the screenshots and a large overall size, I don't download it and just ignore it.

Number 7 : Spamming WoW models

WoW models are always great and much better than Warcraft 3 models. Yet both of those model(Warcraft 3 and WoW) is very bad and unprofessional. As it looks like a HQ model binded with a Low quality one and a special animated style with a regular realist one, thus the map loses quality.

Number 6 : Units/Buildings with no Portrait

Another mistake I hate having in any map, no portrait units and buildings. This could really decrease a map rating by both the moderator and the users.

Number 5 : No Cameras movement in Cinematics

It is really not that attractive to have a well made cinematic with a few cameras which change in 0.00 seconds. I always like to see the cinematic camera moving just a little so with every camera you make, duplicate it and move it a little in the Angle Of Attack or Rotation and make it move to the new duplicated camera over a large amount of time like 25 or 30 seconds. This is a lot better and more efficient way of making cinematics.

Number 4 : Bad Triggered Spawns

I hate having bad triggered spawns of units. For example ;

• Bad Triggered Spawn
      • Events
        • Time - Every 10.00 seconds of game time
      • Conditions
      • Actions
        • Unit - Create 3 Footman for Player 1 (Red) at (Center of (Playable map area)) facing Default building facing degrees

this is an example of a bad triggering. A much better way would be either ordering buildings and using Unit Groups and Hashtables or another way would be using the AI Editor and creating good AI scripts.

Number 3 : Bad Map Description

A bad map description looks to be very famous these days. Many maps are great however they receive a lower rating because of that and less downloads. Thus this is a list on what a GOOD description should look like :

1)Map Info Tab, describing the map type and idea generally
    2)Main Features
    3)Screenshots and maybe if you would like a video and a trailer
    4)Full credits to all who helped and the names to the people who you used their resources(models,skins,items)

Number 2 : No Custom Spells

Now this is critical probably any campaign, RPG and Multiplayer map should contain a good amount of cool, leakless and exciting spells. As having custom spells allows the user to enjoy a whole new experience while playing the map.

Number 1 : Most Common Mistake : A Bad Terrain

A bad terrain is a problem which almost 80% of maps have. I can't blame someone if he cannot use the WE right.Although I blame him of not reading tutorials and not trying to become a better terrainer. There are a huge amount of tutorials in here and they are all great. Thus read some tutorials and ask some people for help in the Chat Room.

This is it, one of the most common mistakes by map makers. I hope I have been clear and thanks for reading.

Usfshihy out! :p

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. Aeroblyctos

Aeroblyctos

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The biggest mistake is to start too big project.

3. usfshihy

usfshihy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well this tutorial is about a map that has been released.Not underwork.However you are right a big project that is not completed is a waste...:D

4. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Please,add spaces before or after ":"
    You can also add a mistake about Not importing the triggers properly where they import it without checking File > Preferences > Create unknown variables while pasting trigger data and also about not cleaning the leaks.

The description could be improved much better, simply add some colors to the title.

5. usfshihy

usfshihy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    yes those are very common mistakes too.I also wanted to add Not Testing The Map After It Is Done,but I had to make only 10 so those are the ones which I saw more :D

6. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Actually, Custom Spells are not that mistakes. There are some epic maps with no custom spells.

7. usfshihy

usfshihy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Maybe you are right but you have to say a map full of HQ nice spells are alot better than one with not.For myself,I really lose excitement to a map in a small time as it has no custom spells.

8. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, definitely a translator help would no mistakes make translate good emphasizing failure really easy understand and readable is not difficult no. Courtesy of google translator and team google hugs and fladdermasken. Thanks.

9. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    lol. Hopefully the OP meant a person, not a program.

10. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    All of those are not "mistakes", like if you got very bad grammar you cant help it so its not really a mistake its more like a flaw.

Anyway I agree on those points expect the one about WoW models

11. usfshihy

usfshihy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well just try to see a bad terrained map(which is a lot of maps these days) and put a WoW model with like the footman model and make them talk with each other.Then tell me what do you think.BUT with the right weather effects,skies and a better portrait for the models you can form an awesome map with both kinds of models.So it really depend on the skill of the map maker to make it look real.

12. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I have seen many maps using that kind of terrain. There is actually a map that only uses like 2-3 wow models for the main characters and rest is wc3-ish I got nothing against it.

however, I know terrainers dont like it for some reason.

13. usfshihy

usfshihy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Everyman has a point huh :p

14. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    The issue with this tutorial is that it has such a broad topic. You chose 10 things to choose but you really could've chosen 10,000. I think this might be a nice little checklist before publishing a map, but I don't know if it suits as much of a "tutorial" on anything.

I think a lot of these are valid (to an extent), don't get me wrong, but it is a strange premise for a tutorial.

As for the tutorial itself, you shouldn't use really bright colored text. It is blinding. You should use the normal text for the actual content, but you can make the headers colored if you like (assuming that the color is not too bright), see:
    http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...t-tutorial-please-read-before-posting-119320/
    At the bottom it'll give recommended colors.

15. deathismyfriend

deathismyfriend

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    this is nice except for the spells. also u should elaborate. if wow models r made only for bosses i think its perfectly fine. but if ur mismatching other things its just weird looking.

also like purge said im not sure how this can be considered a tutorial. mybe if u give a short description on how to fix the things. u should also not limit this to 10 as i can see a ton of things u missed.

i personally hate bad coding in maps. seeing units bug up and having to manually click them is pretty sad to do. ( td map)

16. Alireza Evil

Alireza Evil

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks dude it helped me very good now i hope to be a map maker soon :)

17. BLazeKraze

BLazeKraze

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Giving critics to some map makers are good , But I will said that "nobody is perfect", If you see a person that makes a ugly map , teach them . By the way this is a good thread , I am also looking for the terrain design . You are right, SOME of map makers are not a good terrainer .

18. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Can I ask you something - do you think the people who would make such blatant, obvious mistakes, would ever read this tutorial and respect its contents?

The entirety of this tutorial is subjective, and I find that enough to graveyard it.

19. FireLord001

FireLord001

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Most of the people that have problems on your opinion is the Cinematic makers

20. medelsvensson

medelsvensson

Resources:
    Resources:
    A tutorial filled with bad English, complaining about bad English. The hypocrisy in that, haha.