• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Create simplest 3rd Person Camera

In this tutorial you will learn how to create a 3rd Person camera for any map in a simple mod by steps but you can also download a sample map at attachments.

Difficulty: [ 1.5/10 Very Easy ]
Time to make: Aproximately 1 Minute and 20 seconds.
Steps:

1. Basics
2.Creating Triggers for the camera
3.Enjoy your camera! ( I also added screenshot in-game and triggers shot.)

1. Basically what is / for what is the 3rd Person Camera?
Well , the camera is especially for the RPG Maps and not only. It is like in the World of Warcraft.

2.Creating the Trigers for the camera
First , camera needs to be locked to a unit.
Create a trigger. Put the Event:

• Events:
    • Map initialization
  • Actions:
    • Camera - Lock camera target for Player ( Select player . Anyway its recommended for a 3rd map with cinematics to add just 1 player ) to ( Select a Unit ) offsett 0000 using normal rotation
Now we put the camera angle , height and etc
  • Events:
    • Time - Every 0.01 seconds
  • Actions:
    • Camera - Set player ( select player number ) 's angle of attack to 345 ( Recommended!! ) over 0.10 seconds.
Now make 3x copies from that trigger.
Next actions: Edit the copies:

• Camera - Set player's Distance to target to 600 ( Recommended , but you can change it with 500-1200 ) over 0.10 sec.
Next:
  • Camera - Set player's Height Offset to 100 ( Recommended! ) over 0.10 seconds.
Last:
  • Camera - Set player's camera Rotation to ( Facing of ( Select a Unit! )) over 0.10 sec.
3. Enjoy your camera!
I saw it is easy. Now you got the camera!
Screenshots:

Attachments

• ex.JPG
    ex.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 448
  • arthas.JPG
    arthas.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 5,295
  • 3rd Camera.w3x
    15.9 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Level 2
excellent, i've been tinkering around with stuff like this but never managed to get it right.

I would rep you but my rep isn't worth camel shit right now

EDIT
Another way would be instead of locking the camera to the unit, detect when the unit moves, wait about .3 of a second, then smoothly move the camera inline with the unit. Also have a hotkey to press which realigns the camera to the back of the unit when pressed, i'll whip up some GUI of what i'm thinking about in a secondnevermind im to lazy

MORE INFO
and you move the camera around the unit by pressing arrow key (laggy though...)
bad idea

Last edited:
Level 8
Guy, stop the bumping. By the way, the ''tutorial'' is good enough for me =P

Though I have a few things to say...

1) When you move near the edge of a map it doesn't follow the hero anymore, but i think there's nothing you can do about that.

2) Moving the camera with the arrow keys is indeed a good idea, and it isn't laggy at all. You just need to find the right way =P

3) This is just an idea that I also used in my map. You could make a trigger that each time a unit is hit blood spawns. it's just more realistic =P. Just an idea...

Level 8
Hey! Listen , I don't think its correctly or I'm allowed to steal someone else's arrow key movement. I am very good in that and I can do that , but I won't. Anyway , if you reach a wall , there is a way to make the hero turn back..Anyway this tutorial its just making the camera , not any special features else.

Thanks for replying!

Yea I know. I am just givin'you some ideas for IF you ever gonna make a map that uses your camera system.