• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make your skin acceptable

Level 13
How to make your skin acceptable

These are several skin examples which violate the rules, and some tips how to fix it, so it become acceptable in this site. Notice that all of these fixes needs only 3 minutes to be done, so don't be such a lazy bum just to fix your own skin, or else your skin might get deleted.

Poorly recolored skin
Here's the example of poorly recolored skin. Why? Because the color doesn't look as if it's the color was that color to begin with. Some colors which close to black or close to white will often give a bad looking color if it is recolored using Hue/Saturation.
badrecolor6qy.jpg

How to fix it
Instead of using Hue/Saturation, use channel mixer first. Select any channel (let says 'Red') then select one of source channel which is not red (since I choose 'Red' channel at the first place), let says 'Blue'. Now reduce the selected source channel up to -150% or any number until the color doesn't close to white or black. After that you can use Hue/Saturation to find appropriate color.
goodrecolor8pp.jpg

===================================================================================

Skin without proper shading
Sometimes, skins are looked bad because of its bad shading. Most of cases were caused by darken and highlight which are placed on wrong place and looks scramble. Here's an example of it.
badshading5zy.jpg

How to fix it
Use smudge tool! This is the previous skin with some smudge on it. Use medium strength and soft-edged brush to make it more smooth. Sometimes you'll find your skin too blurry if you oversmudge it. To fix it, use sharpen tool and smudge it again. Do it repeatedly until you think it's a proper shading and not blurry. Here's the minimum quality that are accepted.
medshading7cj.jpg

===================================================================================

Bad paint attemps
Bad paint attempts are including bad freehand attempt and bad filter attempt.

Bad freehand attempt
Here's an example of bad freehand attempt skin. It's obvious that it was made by just several plain brush without any smudge.
badpaint0zo.jpg

How to fix it
After I smudge them in proper direction and add some darken and highlight in right spots, it will look like this.
goodpaint0ph.jpg

Bad filter attempt
Here's an example of bad filter attempt skin. It's obvious that it was made by just apply one filter on a whole body which looks bad.
badfilter9th.jpg

How to fix it
Select several parts that you want the filter is applied on. Here I select just her clothes an apply filter on it. Choose a good looking filter and don't forget to adjust some values if needed, so it looks better.
goodfilter4yl.jpg

Copy and Paste that looks bad and is easily noticed
This example obviosly just a plain CnP from abomination skin. The common mistake is it was done plainly, so it looks like several patches which put together.
badcnp3rm.jpg

How to fix it
Use smudge tool to get rid borders beetwen one CnP patch and another one. Use darken tool to disguisse the borders. Several darken and highlight might be needed so it will have a shape and not looks like just plain picture.
goodcnp9go.jpg

And just a warning before some of you post skins out there, i will most likely be a bit stricter. :twisted:
What I'll be looking for in a decent skin is one that shows at least one of the following qualities despite the method used:
-creativity
-minimal detail/decent shading
-effort
-usefulness

If your skin is dull, unoriginal, bland, useless, took five seconds, AND(meaning it applies to All of these traits) shows lack of visual quality, then it will most likely go down the pipe.

I like the new requirements, only your examples is abit unacceptable in my opinion;
Your example of bad shading done to ok - I would never accept any of those. It is not shaded at correct areas and therefor does need more work.
And the CnP, I guess you just picked a skin and CnPed something from it, but someone might missunderstand and think that you would accept a skin that looks like that one. Ehmm.. :roll:
And the filter.

Let's just say - I would have put a warning in a comment for all of those skins (Except the recolor- and freehand one.) that I will delete it if it is not updated in 3 days. Of course I would add a reason.

Because .. then everyone has a chance to know why their skin was deleted, and does know what to do to make it acceptable.

I like your idea about beeing stricter Afro :D

Level 13
Goliath the God said:
I would never accept any of those. It is not shaded at correct areas and therefor does need more work.
That's just minimum requirement, if I should delete skin which has shading like that, 1/4 skins from this site might be deleted.

Goliath the God said:
And the CnP, I guess you just picked a skin and CnPed something from it, but someone might missunderstand and think that you would accept a skin that looks like that one. Ehmm.. :roll:
And the filter.
It's just example for CnPed skin which well disguised (at very low quality). There are no rules that says "foolish skin" will be deleted, like several spiderman skin, marvel's characters skin, gothic skin, clown skin, and many more, although I really hate those. :roll:

Since afro will become a mean executioner, then i'll become a nice judge. :D :p

EDIT: I'm forget Sansui made this rule at Rules and FAQs thread:
5. Really stupid Skins but if they have been downloaded a certain amount they will stay.

Leopard said:
EDIT: I'm forget Sansui made this rule at Rules and FAQs thread:
5. Really stupid Skins but if they have been downloaded a certain amount they will stay.

There you go. Abominations Boots, really stupid.

And, I agree with afro, cleaning out 1/4 of the skins on wc3sear is nothing negative. I would love it. Causes less lag too. :roll: