• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How To: Freehand Skins.

Was this Helpful to you?

• No, I didn't get anyrthing from it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Ok today we will discuss the difference between Freehand/CnP/Filters/Recolrs. First off Freehand is drawn using the paintbrush or airbrush. Second CnP means Copy and Paste which is a.k.a. Clone Brush, Filters and Gradients are usealy bad for metal like in many skins( I will not name anyone's skin ), Recolor is using the selection tool and clicking on the recolor button, which will change the color, duh. Tips: Add Shading to all of your skins, that will show effort, and always remember to shade with a paintbrush or airbrush. Never use MS Paint, it will lead to hazrdous results, includng Skin Cancer :lol: It is good to have a theme when skinning as to not make a cyborgnetic Elf with a yellow shield or a purple lion emblem on the sword. Embelms are very nice to have on a skin when it's a personal race, faction, or just for fun. Runes are also apporprite on Ogres, Orcs, Elves, Trolls, and most Tribal Creeps. Always try different things and have fun with it. :D

Level 9
I hope you and everyone else understands this:
It is most likely only with wc3 modding (and maybe a few other games) that you have the luxury of using models that have already been skinned.
When modding for some of the more complicated games, like ut2k4 for example, you don't just recolour a skin or anything.
When a model is freshly UVMapped, it will look somewhat like this:
fbuv.jpg

With a wireframe like that, freehanding is the only choice you have. Now, i don't think all the skinners here are going to be skinning the default and already textured models forever. So do plz get into freehanding as early as possible, it will help you later.

Level 13
Ok

I've thought of something else to add. When skinning, always skin the whole skin, not just the head, or the body. Even if it's only supposed to be a Demon Hunter with some Black Armor, it never hurts to make a scar. or a tatoo. Don't over use the opacity brush or it might look like a total recolor to some people.

Level 9
Indeed, we speak the same language now, Konblade.
My addition to your (good) point:

If you already have added what you want to a skin, and dunno what to do about the rest. Then redo the remaining parts, to look the same as before, but in your own personal style.

Level 13
More about Skinning:
When you skin, make sure you use a decent tool. I use Paint Shop Pro 9. If you think "OMFG! I can't afford that!" than just download the trial version. Think about how cloth works. It has wrinkles, and can still shine. Think about how it would look if it was tight, like a ninja gi (uniform), or a loose fitting cloak, like an Acolyte. Always try different methods, and before you submit... Think if anyone needs this. Is it that kind of quality? Test it in game, and in the WarCraft III Viewer.

Level 15
Status
Not open for further replies.