• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Creating 'Armor' with Photoshop (Filters)

Level 19
Well okay Here is a little tutorial how u can make a new style of armor with photoshop. This is created by filters. If u are creating a skin, I'm pretty sure u should better use freehand then filters, I know that. But with some good knowledge u can also form a skin into something great, which allows alternative sights and views of the skin.
Now, lets get started.

What do I need?
-> A skin (I guess u know how to import and export them, converting them into tga for use)
-> Photoshop (8.0 is mine)

What do I need to know?
-> You should know how photoshop works, and how selections are made.

-------------------------------------------------------

Next, lets get to the work!
<-------------------------->

I will use the Dark Ranger its skin for this.

1. Select the part u want to turn into armor.

drir2.jpg

I will select a part of the leg to edit.

2. Time to use the first filter. Search for the 'texturizer' filter and apply it at your own choise. I used 129% scaling and 8 in relief.
tzwo9.jpg

3. Now the supertrick! Go again to the filters and select Crosshatch. My settings here are : Stroke length = 9 , Sharpness = 6 and Strenght = 1.
chic0.jpg

4. Whooa! There is your armor! Filters ain't so bad after all, heh.
This is my result :
t1yt3.jpg

Alternative : Use Colored Pencil for another armor look-like effect.
anlj7.jpg

Note : sometimes the armor still needs some freehanded work. This can exist out of burn and dodge to make it even look better!
U can also add different colors by using the Hue/Saturation (Control+u) tool.

Filters ain't bad, u just need to know how to use them. Altough, freehand is still a 'must' for everyone.
Good luck & Have fun with it.
~-Fl4meS

Level 19
Oh bah, now I caused u guys again extra work...
Isn't it possible to create one page where ALL rules are writen on?
Like wc3sear had, that was a bit easyer.. So sorry for the wrong post guys:(.

@ Daelin : If u do this on a non-armored part it will not work. U will need to first bring some things in it.

Here is an example (I edited it a bit before using the filters) :
noarmorfa2.jpg

Edit: And also ofcourse the armor looks better if u create the picture better.
Mine is poor.

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
I concur with Werewulf.

Anyway, we only approve skins which were created by *freehand*, thus why I won't accept this tutorial which teaches people a technique which won't be allowed when submitting a resource.

I'm sorry, but the official resource submitting rules and guidelines hasn't been made public yet so you couldn't know.

~Tutorial Graveyard'd.

Level 8
dude...there is nothing wrong with filters. if it gets the job done so be it matter of fact using filters in a effective way makes it easier for people to follow this tutorial. not EVERYBODY is good at freehand. They put filters on programs so you can put them to use not just have everybody say that they are wrong they put them for you to use. I'm mean if you where to purge the entire Wc3 community of all skins that used filters lets see here....that probaly be a really good junk becuase even if its 90% freehand they proably used filters sometime or another in it.

Level 45
dude...there is nothing wrong with filters. if it gets the job done so be it matter of fact using filters in a effective way makes it easier for people to follow this tutorial. not EVERYBODY is good at freehand. They put filters on programs so you can put them to use not just have everybody say that they are wrong they put them for you to use. I'm mean if you where to purge the entire Wc3 community of all skins that used filters lets see here....that probaly be a really good junk becuase even if its 90% freehand they proably used filters sometime or another in it.

filters were designed for graphic templates(website, graphical work and design) dude, not skins or peices of artwork =_=

So, basicly your saying cnping or stealing does the work eh? If your not good at freehand, then you must DO freehand so you can be good at it, filters are for slackers or for those who dont want to improve or gain any benifit except the occasional "OMG KOOL 5/5" posts by idiots who cant tell left from right. Filters teach you nothing. They , not you, do the work for you, thus YOU gain nothing and your fooling people and putting the people who have learnt to do freehand by DOING freehand down.

Last edited:
Level 3
opinoin

Eh, i really dont care what the moder uses to make the "model/skin" as long as its good, as last time i checked there called Resources, not "art gallery". And if they are not for the mapmakers hence the word Resources, i beleive there should be a new category for modlers attempting to become better and learn not supply to the mapmakers, just my opinoin of course =).

~Shougun

Last edited: