• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Hand Drawn to Photoshop

For a lot of people, (me included) prefer hand drawing than mouse drawing, but do not have a tablet, yet they want to import their drawing to Photoshop to edit, color, shade, etc. but have all these different color that does not allow them to get a clean job. This tutorial explains the best way to get there.

First, draw and scan your image with pencil or, preferably, pen. Today I will be working with my undead penguin, seen here:

Now, open it up with Photoshop (make sure your foreground color is black), and go to the top toolbar until you find the Filter menu. Pull it down and go through Filter > Sketch> Photocopy.

Make sure that the values are as followed:

Detail: 24
Darkness: 25

Now, you might notice that there is some breaks in the image (thats why you use a pen, it defines it. You can see that I have quite a few because I used pencil) like shown below. That is ok, just take a brush and set it to the thickness desired with black and finish the line.

Now, make sure that you fix ALL breaks, and you are ready to color.

This is my final penguin, while I spent abut 5-10 minutes cleaning it up:

Attachments

• Penguin.jpg
    Penguin.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 196
  • Step1.png
    Step1.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 203
  • Breaks.jpg
    Breaks.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 210
  • Finish!.jpg
    Finish!.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Level 17
6/10

~Use Attach Images, what if imageshack goes down?
~Make it longer, there's surely a lot more techniques you could to this!
~Haven't I already submitted how to do this? Except my tutorial has no images...
~The outcome wasn't AS good as I had expected... Seeing as you were digging me for having bad drawings...

Level 45
imageshack is sooo daaammm slooowww attt loooaddding..
just attach the images as said, and this tutorial isnt a good technique, the professionals way to go about it would be to have the sketch and 50% layer, then make a new layer, use the pen tool to create a clean crisp line art over the sketch and such, not use the sketch as the line art.

the professionals way to go about it would be to have the sketch and 50% layer, then make a new layer, use the pen tool to create a clean crisp line art over the sketch and such, not use the sketch as the line art.

My uncle is a 2-D artist for Nintendo, and is visiting for the holidays, so I will ask him other handier ways, variations, etc.