• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Kaitechs Guid to Hand Drawing faces!

Level 17
Hello there, I am guessing you are wondering "Well, why the hell would I want to do this, I have a bloody mouse and MS Paint!?" Well, that's a stupid thing to say, as hand drawing stuff is much better, and much more accurate than using a mouse, as your mouse may be slightly wobbly etc etc. So in this Step by Step guide, I will teach you how to create a face, trace the face, and then colour the face! This tutorial is in her beta stages! Forget the fact there are no pictures yet.

1. What you need!

So, in this section, the title explains it all!

You will need:
A standard pencil, purchasable from the post office
A decent eraser, as the not so good ones usually smudge
A black pen, I say this because you can easily highlight pencil so the scanner/webcam picks it up
A piece of paper, I work from paper extracted from a text book...
Something to lean on, I use a clip folder, as they are portable
Stop here if you just want to draw them; without the colouring on PC

Software and Hardware
Gimp 2.2, you can use Photoshop for this though I suggest GIMP as it is free and no ridiculous download times!
A Scanner or Webcam, as you will need a way of getting your images from paper to PC to colour them.
2. The drawing of the faces

So, here you choose what face you draw, whether the emotion be Sad, Happy, Angry, Content, you name it, but in this section, I will teach you how to do happy, as it is pleasantly easy!

So, grab your lean on thing, your pencil, paper and eraser!
Start with a basic shape, unless you want to jump straight to actual human face like shapes which I may cover in a miscellaneous part of the tutorial. I chose the egg shape. Also, choose the sex of your person here! I chose male.
PICTURE

Ok, so, your new shape looks boring, no matter what shape it is, so let us add the hair. Female’s hair tends to be long, as in shoulders and lower, with plaits or pony tails, Males are easier, as they usually have shorter, easier to work with hair, I’m trying something new for you guys today, so I am going with the kind of rock lover hair. We all call Rock Lovers Moshers, so I’ll use that word from now on.
PICTURE

Ok, so, with this style, ears air hidden (Thank god for me) but if you wish to use ears, they are like this shape in most cartoons etc.
PICTURE

Well, now that we have the hair and ears (maybe) let us move onto the facial features! So, if your fringe overlaps the eyes, like I chose mine to, work around the hair with the eyes, I tend to use two dots as eyes, so this is pretty easy, except not as advanced. You can add eyebrows here to, and if you take a picture of your self smiling normally, your eyebrows rise, so lets add that to the picture!
PICTURE

Ok, so now onto the nose, noses are funny little things, as some people are pig noses, some are long, some are short, play around with the nose here; I chose a mousy little nose here.
PICTURE

Well, the mouth! The mouth in most cartoons tend not to have lips, as lips are a hard thing to work with in my opinion, add them if you want, but my character has no lips, he is a sly little bugger!
PICTURE

Ok, so now you have the mouth added, let’s add wrinkles and cheeks. Smile to yourself now and feel around your cheeks, and chin, you will find little ditches and maybe even skin piling up on your cheeks. So I done this with my character
PICTURE

Facial Hair and Ear rings?
Picture

Well, you have all the facial details, happy now?

We can now move onto the highlighting, and rubbing out of unwanted lines!

So, grab your finished work, and your black pen and eraser. Highlight EVERYTHING apart from the lines you wish to rub out.
PICTURE

No just go over with the eraser to rub out the lines
PICTURE

NOTICE: Stop here if you don’t wish to colour your little guy/gal in!

Could a mod add an E to GUID in the title please?

Last edited:
You know, when I make tutorials, I build them in a word document; and once I think they are ready to atleast guide someone I post them on the site.

My suggestion is that next time don't hurry up to make the tutorial, give it time and when you get something concrete post it, please.

Thank you for listening, nice tutorial, btw :D; hope you finish it soon.

Level 26
If your webcam is broken, don't you think you should have posted this tutorial after you're able to take the fucking pics? Don't give me that incomplete bullshit, if you're submitting a tutorial, you ought to at least have it complete. Did you learn anything from the comic previews!?