• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Complet newbs guide to making maps

Level 6
Are you ready to make maps?
CEIf you are not a newb do not read this tutorial, It'd be completely useless if you were not. First open up the Warcraft III World Editor... (You don't know where it is?! :eek: well O.K click Start on your desktop then click >All Programs then search for the Warcraft III folder... Now once their you will see a couple programs, go to the bottom one and right click it and hit >Send to Desktop, (so you wont have to do this much work anymore) now go to your desktop and click it. It will load in, but first make sure to make sure you have The Frozen Throne CD In your computer.)

Starting up the Editor
OK now that you are in the editor you will see a giant wasteland filled with only dirt and a grid. You don't want this as your map! Well of course a 99.9 % of the people who make maps don't use this :thumbs_up: . OK to get a new map started click File on the top of the screen, than click New Map or (Ctrl + N). You will see a small tab appear and you'll see that it says some stuff, we will make a basic map set the Width to 128 and the Height to 96. Change Lordearon Summer to Northerand. Choose snow as the Initial Tile.
Now that you are done the map will become load up you will see only snow and a grid. Kinda like the old area.

Terrain
Terrain is very basic, but first would you like to get rid of the Grid? Most people don't use them, they are for if you want some things to be exactly the same, which we wont do. Press [G] until the grid disappears. Time to create some terrain, on the top of the editor click Layer and then Terrain a little window should pop up in the corner of the screen. Now you will see many terrains, edit the map as you wish... I created 2 areas with different terrain then a link to them with Ice. :wink: You are ready to save the map. Click on the floppy disk in the corner or press <Ctrl + S>.

Very Basic Units
You are now ready to create some units. Open the object editor by pressing (F6) Or by clicking the Picture of the soldier's helmet in the top. We will create a Hero for the map, to create a new custom unit you should Right Click on the folder labeled "Custom Units", then Click New Custom unit It will bring up some options of units, click on the Paladin, and under Name : you can name it anything you want, for now we will call it Destroyer of Evil. Eh, without the period :thumbs_up: now press OK. It will load for a while than tons of words will appear, Click on the words that say
"Art - Icon - Game Interface"
a tab will appear now choose any Picture you want, I am going to use a Priest's Picture. Now to change the model click on the words that say
"Art - Model File"
another tab will appear, choose any model you want, I suggest picking something that matches the Picture, so I have chosen Archmage. Now you should scroll down into the area with the words "Combat" everywhere. We want our hero to be extra strong right? Well for the map we are making that's right. Find where it says
"Combat - Attack 1 - Damage Base"
You are probably wondering why this hero has no damage! Well yes they do because of their Stats, which we wont worry about right now. OK double click the button and change the damage to around 30 to 50 I have chosen 40. Above that you will see
"Combat - Attack 1 - Cooldown Time"
You will see that it says 2.20. That represents the seconds that he needs to wait before attacking again, but the Stats will make him attack faster. I have changed it to 1.90 just so he can kick butt faster! :smile:
Keep scrolling down until you reach
"Sound - Unit Sound Set"
Double click it and change the words [The words stand for what you want them to sound like] I have changed mine to the Priest's voice. You may change it to what you wish, but keep it related to the Picture or Model you used for your hero. OK almost done... Scroll down until you reach
"Text - Proper Names"
Delete every single one there is than add a new one, I have named mine PWNZER, what is this you ask? Well it is the specific name for the hero, such as when you die it says EXAMPLE : (Granis Darkhammer the Paladin (Level 2) has fallen.) The "Granis Darkhammer" is the Proper name and the Paladin is just the Name.
Ok you are done with your hero, it is easier to make units than Heroes, but we will use normal units for now. When you get better at map making you should defiantly create Custom Units.

Doodads
Placing doodads will decorate your map and give it a better Idea, a game without doodads I personally would think is Dull and Boring so I'd say Doodads are essential to maps. Quit out of the object editor and go to the main map. See in the map's Layer (The thing in the corner we worked with earlier) that it says Terrain Palette, well scroll down til you reach Doodad Palette, that is one down. Now it should say Northrend and under that Trees/Destructibles, you can change to props and other things, now place these freely as you wish. OK now that you are through with that we can move onto some harder stuff...

Triggers
Triggers the heart of the map, without them maps would be NOTHING. We are going to VERY basic triggers right now. So first open up the Trigger Editor, at the top of the screen it is the picture with the letter A on it, you can also open it up by pressing (F4). First delete the Melee Initialization Trigger and also delete that folder it is in. Well by now I'd save the map before I go on further. Just hit OK when it says the map name is still "Just Another Warcraft III Map" I will cover that later. OK Create a new folder by clicking on the picture of the Folder, or bye hitting (Ctrl + G). Name that Folder Spawn Triggers, now to create the triggers them selves. To make a new trigger click on the picture of a paper with its corner folded or hit (Ctrl + T). Name this trigger Spawn Weak. WAIT first go back to the Main Editor, switch from the Doodad Palette to the Region Palette, now create a region by dragging your mouse to where ever you want the enemy to spawn. Now do not make the region too big or It will look weird when they spawn in game. OK now once you finish dragging your mouse you should rename your Region, so you know what it is, double click on the last created region and Rename it to this "Spawn Region" (Type it as I tell you to or you may get lost and not know what to do later on in the tutorial when I actually use the region). Make another region, call it "Go to Region". Time to work the into the map. :infl_thumbs_up: Open back up the trigger editor again, with that new trigger we have it should look like this.
  • Spawn Weak
  • Events
  • Conditions
  • Actions
If it does not look like this, you have done something wrong. If you've done something wrong look at the begging of this "Triggers" part of this tutorial, you may understand what you have done wrong, which it is pretty hard not do it wrong... Ok lets make this trigger work! Right click on Events and hit time , than hit Periodic Timer, it should say Every 2.00 seconds of game time, well Lets change that to Every 45.00 seconds of game time. Now just skip conditions for this trigger. Right click on the Actions button and create one under unit, Create Unit Facing Angle. That is what we want, change the 1 to however many you want, I have placed 10, (Remember that too many units that spawn will Lag the game up very badly). Now change footman to whatever you want, except do not have the same guy you are in the game spawn! It would be weird... change the for Player 1 (Red) to Neutral Hostile. And have the at Center of Playable map area changed to (Center of (Spawn Region)). Facing , (Facing doesn't matter yet). Here is what your trigger should look like now.
  • Spawn Weak
  • Events
  • Time - Every 45.00 seconds of game time
  • Conditions
  • Actions
  • Unit - Create 10 Kobold for Neutral Hostile at (Center of Spawn Region<gen>) facing Default facing degrees
Is that what your's looks like? If it doesn't check what you just learned again. Now we are ready to do Spawn Medium, create a new trigger called Spawn Medium, and follow this, (you will understand this if you followed the other steps right.
  • Spawn Medium
  • Events
  • Time - Every 100.00 seconds of game time
  • Conditions
  • Actions
  • Unit - Create 5 Dire Wolf for Neutral Hostile at (Center of Spawn Region<gen>) facing Default facing degrees
  • Unit - Create 5 Enforcer for Neutral Hostile at (Center of Spawn Region<gen>) facing Default facing degrees
Here you are almost done... Now we are done with Medium, just one last one, Spawn hard... you should understand this... :smile:
  • Spawn Hard
  • Events
  • Time - Every 220.00 seconds of game time
  • Conditions
  • Actions
  • Unit - Create 10 Elder Voidwalker for Neutral Hostile at (Center of Spawn Region<gen>)
Ok done with those spawn triggers... Remember they will just sit here now, we want them to do something. Follow these Triggers. We will have to use conditions now... If you feel :confused: about conditions, than read the words that are under this it will be explained
  • Move Spawned
  • Events
  • Unit - A unit enters Spawn Region<gen>
  • Conditions
  • (Owner of (Triggering Unit)) Equal To Neutral Hostile
  • Actions
  • Unit - Issue (Triggering Unit) to Attack-Move To (Center of Go to Region<gen>)
OK, you are probably wondering where to find the Condition, find Player Comparison. Unit Issue Order Point, and find Attack-Move to... Now when the units spawn they will move. That is all the triggers we will cover now.

Players, Loading Screen, Map name and more
Ok... now done with all those triggers go back to the main editor (In better maps make sure to have lots of triggers so lots of things can happen, in one of my maps I have 827...I checked by looking in the Object Manager, Nothing you have to worry about now). Ok go up to the top of the screen in the editor and look for "Scenario". Once you find that click on the Map Description button, this will give your map it's name and it's description. Delete the words "Just another Warcraft III Map". Now change it to something appropriate for this map, such as "Winter Domination" or "Snow Battle" or "Death Pass". I have changed mine to Death Pass, you can use anything you want though (Just keep in mind what I just said). Change the word "Nondescript" to your description of the map, I'm gonna keep it short so I changed it to Pwnzer the Destroyer of Evil must kill all the evil that passes through this valley. Keep it simple, but make sure it fits the map. You can keep "Suggested Players" the same, and change Author to whomever made this map, such as me, I'll put dark_raptor, (Thats my nickname on Battle.net) you put your nickname on B.Net or your one on the Hive. Done with that, now open up the "Loading Screen" area, you will see everything greyed out and you may be thinking :confused: . So to stop that click "Use Campaign Screen". Thats better, now I have changed from Tutorial 01 to Human 09, that is where Arthas is In Northrand so it kind of matches the map. Now we change the "Loading Screen Title" to "(Your name here) presents" than under that "(Name of your map)". Under that Include your description.
Now ready to work in some Players Properties? Ok good, (I don't know if you said yes or no but I don't care :thumbs_up: ). Ok quit out of the window you're in, and now go up to the top of the editor and find the "Scenario" again. Ok now once thats opened, find the "Player Properties", and open it it. Now you see Player 1 Red not greyed out but everything else greyed out... Under controller you will see your's says User, the other ones say None, change those to how you wish. I have made it were 3 people can play and there is one bot. Now I changed their Race all to Humans, and I changed the bot one's (bot is computer) name to Enemy. Ok done with that now we need teams, open up the "Forces" tab. Create 1 new force drag the computer to that area, (If you only have 1 force the game wont start). Then I changed Force 1's properties to Allied, and Share vision. Click OK on the window, It will load, just wait for it to come back to the editor. Ok done, and back to the editor, you probably want the Heroes' level to go up past 10. Well yes of course! Let me show you how it's done :thumbs_up: , click on "Advanced" and find "Gameplay Constants", Once there click the check mark in the box at the top, that is labeled "Use Custom Gameplay Constants". Now done, (that enables so we can Change some things in this, but the only thing we want to change now is Level and Creep level" lets find the area where there are tons of words labeled Hero, once there find these exact words "Hero Maximum Level". I found it and changed it to 50, now you know that we are fighting creeps, right? Well yes we are so we want to find this "Hero XP Gained - Creep Reduction Table" (Remember that you can only gain XP off killing creeps until your level 5, we want to change that, so the game keeps going.) delete all of the numbers then add 1 called "100" so you gain XP always. Save the map! We really don't wanna lose all that data. (Remember <Ctrl + S> to save).:thumbs_up:

Placing Units
We now are back from doing advanced stuff to easy. Placing units is sort of like placing doodads, change from the "Doodad Palette" to the "Unit Palette". Once there go to the Player 1 (Red) Area, thats you when you test your map. Make sure you are still under "Human" and change from Melee to Custom, once there, if done correctly you will find your Destroyer of Evil, (if you don't find please reread paragraph Very Basic Units) this will be very easy compared to what we have done earlier. Place only 1 Destroyer of Evil for all player that you made could play (if you don't remember how many players you had playing check under "Scenario" and "Player Properties" and then check). Ready to place, if you are not find a good area, with lots of doodads, and an appropriate are for them to spawn. A shortcut to change from Player 1 (Red) to Player 2 (Blue) etc. etc. is by click 2, then 3, then 4, etc. etc... Now to place the Enemies place, I made them away from the Spawn Area, (because the spawns would attack them) I placed a well guarded castle and some towers. Just decorate as you want. :thumbs_up:
-
Spells
:spell_breaker: Spells are very important, or else people would get really bored just like imagine if DotA Allstars, (a very fun and popular map) didn't have spells!!! It would be really dumb! So I'd say Spells, (for maps with Heroes) are essential.
Creating Spells
First open up the Object Editor, and instead of looking at Units, open up Abilities. I am going to use VERY basic abilities, but custom ones at that. First right click on the folder labeled "Custom abilities" and click "Create new Ability" find one that says, Carrion Swarm. Name it something appropriate for what you want it to look like. I called it Blessing, for I am going to make it look like a Holy Light Model. You don't know how to make them look different do you? Oh well here, Once you named your spell, find where it says
"Art - Missile Art"
And now find the model you want... Now to change the Picture find this
"Art - Icon - Normal"
and change it to the Icon you want. Mine is Healing Wave... Now for when you learn this ability you want it to look like the Icon too ? Right? RIGHT... to change this find
"Art - Icon - Research"
it should be under it actually :smile:. Scroll down under until you reach
"Stats - Levels"
Thats how high of a level that spell can go to. I changed to 5, so I don't have to do too much trouble. Ok thats better... Now scroll down, you will see
"Text - Tooltip - Learn"
Thats what it says when you learn Example:(Learn Holy Light). Change it to Learn (Name of your spell) Under that you will see,
"Text - Tooltip - Learn - Extended"
that is the description of what the spell is. You will see these following words...
"Level 1 - Data Damage"
"Level 2 - Data Damage"
"Level 3 - Data Damage"
"Level 4 - Data Damage"
"Level 5 - Data Damage"
Then after that you will see Numbers, those numbers are how much damage it deals to the enemies. Change Data 4 and 5, ( I changed to 400 and 500). Scroll down until you see...
"Level 1-5 - Maximum Damage"
We want this spell to pwn! Change it to 99999 for each!!! :grin:
Ok keep scrolling until you reach
"Level 1-5 - Text - Tooltip - Normal"
this is what you see once you learn the spell, for level 1 I put Blessing - Level 1, for level 2 I put Blessing - Level 2, so on and so on. Under that you will see
"Level 1-5 - Text - Tooltop - Normal - Extended"
That is the description for when you have learned the spell... I put "Deals 75 Damage" For level 1, for level 2 I put "Deals 125 Damage" So on and so on...
Other Spells
Now done with that you can work on your own with spells, just only keep like 3, they can only hold so many... :infl_thumbs_up:
Adding spells to the Heroes
Now we want the spells to go to the heroes... Go under Units, and find your hero, (Destroyer of Evil). Click on him then you will see,
"Abilities - Hero"
Delete all of them and Add the spell(s) you made... (to find them easier click Custom).

Was this tutorial useful to you? This is my first tutorial.

Last edited:
Level 10
Please detach signature.

Haven't looked through it all yet, but in the triggers you should maybe clean the leaks. Even if it's for people who are new at the editor it is important learning how to clean leaks, as alot of GUIer's around here seems not to know much about them.

Btw: Dark Purple is hard reading in dark background