• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Beginners Guide to Texturing

Beginners Guide to Texturing

Contents

Introduction to Texturing
a. Extracting Warcraft Textures
b. Basic Shading

Human Texturing
a. Hair
b. Eyes
c. Faces
d. Male and Female Torsos
e. Tattoos and emblems

Clothing and Armor
a. Leather
b. Metal
c. Cloth
d. Wood

Miscellaneous Tidbits
a. Pen Tool
b. Layer Effects

Introduction

In this tutorial, I will be teaching you how to become an aspiring texture artist and take you from Microsoft Paint crap to professional looking textures.

To start off, you need a good program. Gimp is good and free, so I recomend those who do not own a real photo-editing program to get it. If you want to spend some money, you can get Photoshop, PhotoImpact, or many other software. You will also need Warcraft III Image Extractor.

To extract your image, simply go to File > Open MPQ. Find War3.mpq or War3x.mpq (The directory should be something like C:/Program Files/Warcraft III/) and click on it. Now, you see a confusing jumble of text and drop down menus. To extract a texture, simply click on the little "+" box by a dropdown, and scroll to find the texture you are looking for. (Note, some textures are in Textures\Texture.blp and some are located in units\Race\Unit\Texture.blp) Then simply hit File > Save and save it at a Targa (.tga).

Now, simply pop up your photo-editing software and open the Texture file from wherever you saved it.

Highlighting and Shading

Now, a texture with a flat color is boring, and nothing escapes lighting. There is always a light source, in texturing's case, its a cylindrical light source. What? Cylindrical? Let me explain.

Lighting shows that a color will be darker the farther away it gets from the light source, like how the right side is darker than the left on this picture. The yellow line signifies the light's direction. coming in from the left. Imagine it is a sideways floodlight shined on a red box.
LeftLightning.gif

Now, imagine the same floodlight coming down from the direct center of the box, like this.

CylinderLighting.gif

The difference is that this light is rounded.. The light is stronger in the center, then fades out around the whole object, giving it a rounded look, hence the cylinder. This is the light source we use in creating our textures

Now, shading a circle is a bit harder. Light reflects and refracts off round surfaces, so you need to add volume. Here is an example on how to skin a sphere, first is a render , the second is an example I did.

images
Circle.gif

You need to create a central highlight somewhere within the circle, then highlight a section around it bright, but not as bright as the central highlight. Then, shade the rest of the circle, darker the farther it is away from the central highlight point..

Human Texturing

Hair

1.png

Start off with a solid block of color. For this example, I am texturing the hair found on Arthas, Blood Mage, and the Death Knight.

2.png

Start by applying shading with a darker brush at 10% opacity. This should follow the basic direction of your hair.

3.png

Now, take a larger brush and apply larger areas of shading, so that each lock is part of a highlight or shadow.

4.png

Next, reduce your opacity to 5% and apply highlights between the locks of hair to give your hair depth.

5.png

With a 3px brush, scribble all over the hair in the general direction that the hair is flowing. It may look very messy, but it will wrap nicely, since Warcraft blurs parts of the texture. Once you complete this step, you may need to repeat steps 2-4 until you are given the desired effect.

Eyes

1.png

Start off with a shape sorta like this. The outline of the eye should be lighter whenever it meets the most light, or wherever the eyelid extends the farthest away from the face.

2.png

Insert the Iris here. The Iris is a circle that the top portion of is usually underneath the eyelid. Also, add in the pupil, and a highlight source.

3.png

Use two different but similar colors to highlight and shade your iris, since the human eye is comprised of several different hues.

4.png

Now come the fun part. Take a scratchy brush with various similar colors to your base and brush inwards to create the effect of coloration. Repeat step 3-4 how many times you like until you are satisfied.

5.png

Add an inner glow layer effect with a Normal setting and a black glow. This effect makes sure that the outside of the iris is darker than the center.

6.png

Now, just shade the other portion of the eye.

7.png

Take a scratchy brush at 25% opacity and make outlines around the edges of the lines. Then, create eyelashes by whisking them away in the direction of the outside of the eye. (---> That way) Do the same, but with shorter lashes on the bottom.

8.png

Now just follow this shading!

Last edited:
Level 36
Looks incomplete. I like the hair technique though, but you should probably say something about sharpen filters. Due to the fact that WC3 hates good, clear images and thus when the texture is wrapped everything looks even blurrier than it already is, having your texture be really clear is important.

The technique for hair looks horrendous. There's nearly no contrast and, even if you were trying to pull off a more realistic look, it still is lacking.

As for the eyes, you'll never find a time in Warcraft III where you'll want to texture eyes like that and get a good result. The iris and pupil is usually on a separate plane so it can be moved around. The eye you have would be completely static.

As for the eyes, you'll never find a time in Warcraft III where you'll want to texture eyes like that and get a good result. The iris and pupil is usually on a separate plane so it can be moved around. The eye you have would be completely static.

Surely someone as high and mighty as Lucas LaFontaine would know about alpha channels. (Oh, and don't get mad if I say your first name, cuz you seem to wave it around a lot here)

I don't care if you use my first name. And when do I wave it around? xD

Alpha channels aren't going to change anything. That part of the eye is wrapped to a completely different part of the texture.

The Jaina wrap for example. All you do is alpha out the iris plane and texture the eye in. After a little bit of playing with the wrap, it fits fine.