• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A7xpwns3's Complete Guide to Texturing (WIP)

Level 16

A7xpwns3's Complete Guide to Texturing

A guide for beginners, pros, and everything inbetween

Introduction

Hello, and welcome to one of the simplest and easiest tutorials out there. Remember, simple & easy are NOT ALWAYS antonyms of good and detailed. Whats that you say? You thought I did only icons? Remember - texturing can be both icons AND skins.

Part 1 - The Tools of the Trade

I will be using GIMP2 for this tutorial, but you may use photoshop/painter essentials. Yes, you'll have to change some things though. I greatly encourage the use of Button Manager, which can be found in the tools section. You don't need much to make icons, as you can see.

Part 2 - The Aim

This tutorial is aimed for those ho have gotten a feel of their image editing software. If you aren't completely sure where all the tools are and you can't navigate easily, I would not recommend using this tutorial.

Part 3.1 - Quick and Simple

Let's get started. This part is dedicated to simple, easy texturing.

Time Estimate - 1 to 3 Mins
Steps - 3

Step 1

attachment.php

Fill in the background with a brown color, then take the burn and dodge tool with 20% opacity and make a pattern as shown.

Step 2

attachment.php

Take a 1-2 pixel brush with the burn and dodge tool at 50% opacity. Dodge random vertical lines all over.

Step 3

attachment.php

Take a slight larger brush with the burn and dodge tool at 75% opacity. Burn randomly all over, especially near the dodged lines.

And there you have it! A quick, simple and easy wood fur texture.

Sorry about not finished this or even starting the first tutorial, but I gotta go. I'll be back soon!

Attachments

• Woodstep1.jpg
    Woodstep1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Woodstep2.jpg
    Woodstep2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Woodstep3.jpg
    Woodstep3.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Whoa, whoa, hold on a minute.

This doesn't look like wood or fur, or anything but mud for that matter. Before you texture something, you should observe it in real life. For example, fur is mostly orderly, it relatively goes in one direction, but there are some parts that veer off the course. Don't forget that fur is soft and should look soft Also, you should pick your type of fur (soft fur, heavy fur, light fur etc). You should use also more colour variations, and don't forget that some fur layers, like heavy fur. I threw this up in five minutes or so just to see what you're aiming for. It isn't accurate, but it should give you the idea; heavy fur:

2yw8ewm.png

Wood on the other hand is solid and has an abrasive surface. It has a more irregular pattern and many cracks, curls, holes and such, so you should get something like this. Again, this isn't accurate since it was basically speed painting. The bark is supposed to be less saturated though:

2dmfi8n.png

Level 16
Most arguments are made invalid by this one simple statement: The title says Quick and Simple, these textures could be made in seconds. The reason why I did only this one so far is because they ARE the easiest and worst looking. I will put much better textures near the bottom.

Could a mod please close this thread until it's finished?