• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Toby Ruined Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Toby Ruined Pack

210613-albums6821-picture77734.png

Overview
Wanted to make a terrain study with ruins and there weren't any models I liked so I decided to make my own. This will be a complete pack; structures, vegetation, environment and probably effects as well. I'll also incorporate all versions of the model, simple and with bump textures. You decide what you want to use!

Download Pack V1 a

Last edited:
Level 14
As far as I'm concerned these look pretty great. I personally like using higher quality textures so stuff like this is quite nice. Keep up the good work man.

Level 16
The model is very HQ high poly as it is intended for terraining but could also be used in playable games if anyone has this wishes, I would recommend a optimization for it. I'm pretty much disappointed in how this turned out because I can't implement all the details in the model all thanks to the wc3 engine and limits. PS: The down part of the column turned out like crap. So I might include a version with bump that works in wc3.

210613-albums6805-picture75416.jpg

Shadow and Light Study
I'll show you a very basic start on the ruined walls. It's fragmented in rayfier and tesaleted with Zbrus so yeah, a lot of poli's for some round stones. Just hope I can at least implement a third of the details in wc3.

210613-albums6805-picture74774.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture74775.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture74776.jpg

The continuation of the rock walls.
I knew it, the level of detail from the original model isn't even as close as I hoped. After 3 trials I ended up with this disgusting flat low poly wall that doesn't even resemble the original if it weren't for the projection... + crappy texture resolution... I added the original in the pic for you to get a idea how dens the geometry realy is. Unfortunately no game engine can handle that much I think. I am starting to have a feeling that adding normal maps and other tricks in games isn't so much of a big deal since it doesn't do much in the first place (talking about normals, tessellation is another matter) that it mostly goes down to the artist to make it appealing. The model is fine for everyone that wants to use it for whatever but I won't lower myself so much than to use recyclable trash in my masterpiece terrain so I am going to remake it again, of Course I'll make it available for dl. The second model turned out just right on the other hand.

210613-albums6805-picture74808.jpg

The second Wall model was optimized from the original, also by practising like crazy so many time in wall making I discovered a really neat and efficiently fast way to create and optimize clear cut such geometry. As you might of guessed the model is made out of multiple rocks flattened together. It would be difficult to uv not to mention optimize the inside polygons that are overlapping in a cup of "messy disaster" but after some searches I found some tools that really worked professional on that...

210613-albums6805-picture74809.jpg

More samples. The models have only diffuse texture with baked ambient occlusion + a little tiny bit of bump. The reason, Il add real bump to them later and see how they look ingame. I know that someone like Keiji might be thinking, so where's the terrain? I'll have to finish all my assets before I even start terraining.

210613-albums6805-picture74810.jpg

So here are the models in wc3 engine and they look...
SHOCKINGLY HIEDEOUS

I think I'm going to test how they look in Starcraft.
Might add some more models, the reason why I left empty spaces in the pictures, keep watching...
All this modeling from scratch is harder than I thought and I haven't done anything to stylish yet. I'll have to give credits to Talavaj for his workflow on models.

210613-albums6805-picture74811.jpg

Creation of Trees
My first tree started from a 3ds max tree painted in Sculptris. What you see in the picture is the HQ version but was trying to compress it and add it with the branches ingame, it still is wc3 unfriendly 900 kb and mixing geometri = death. The problem is the number of vertexes, probably I'll have to remake the branches as billboards.

210613-albums6805-picture75413.jpg

I finally finished the tree and I have to say that making the texture taked longer than modeling it. With the help of Sculptris I can easily fast sculpt anything in minutes but making the textures for my models taked days. Optimized the HQ tree, the trunk turned out fine but the branches look horrible so I'll make them again trough nicer looking billboards.

Making the diffuse is trickier than it seems, I screwed up the first time for the tree but I got it right after a few more trials. Because I implemented normals and occlusion in the diffuse I can't use the bump technique, it darkens the model too much. Bump tech seems to work on plain diffuse textures as clean of bumpage as possible. If I get any more wonderful diffuse textures like this I might consider dropping the bump but it works perfectly with shadow maps, a example would be in the picture, the shaded trees. The majority of models from the pics are wc3 shaded with shadow maps, exception the white max shadow studies.

210613-albums6805-picture75414.jpg

Tree Evolution
How I got to the final result...

210613-albums6805-picture75421.jpg

Materials - Bump 1, Bump 2, Oclusion 1, Oclusion 2, specular, cavity, height map etc. I render more than several textures and merge them in the diffuse to get as much detail as possible.

210613-albums6805-picture75422.jpg

More ruines

High poly projections on low poly models, no bumping used, just the complete diffuse how I mentioned above.

210613-albums6805-picture75415.jpg

Textures

210613-albums6805-picture75419.jpg

Work on rocks

210613-albums6805-picture75420.jpg

Working on this pack is definitely fun and I think I'm getting better at making diffuse textures but I'll start working on vegetation and terrain from here. Slowly but shortly the pack is been developed.

Last edited:
Level 16
I will, I will! And thanks for the coments guys I have a lot planned for this. This is only the beginning and I now it looks a little boring but I'll be adding a lot more color to it along with the vegetation. By the way it's not a desert ruin pack although it sees that way and it works in that setting as well. The way I'm envisioning it is like a semi arid, mountain or even a close to see setting. There will be lots of Aspen and Oak Trees so I'm going to combine this with yellow and red colors + a little touch of green.

By the way I added some bump and cracks to the ruined wall that looks like potatoes so it doesn't look so smooth anymore.

Edit: There, I hidden everything except the Shadow and Light Study since its small. I'll hide that after I make myself a nice Cover for the thread.

Last edited:
Level 16
Lion Statue

I've been working hard in all aspects and I had little time to work on the pack, the progress was also slow. I hate to leave you without a update so I'll post what I have so far not to mention I was little bit upset this week. Because of that I started modeling a somewhat upset looking lion statue. The model comes from wow as it is evident for most of you. Sculpted its face and fur in sculptris to make it high poly and add more details. The hair is a bit exaggerated, almost like a rock stars, I remember a lion like this in a children's illustration. Optimizing the model was horrible work and I know for certain that it still has some leftover polygons on the inside but I cleaned it as much as humanly possible since cleaning a High poly converted in Law is hard (The reason would be because I sliced the model in to pieces, if it were one mesh it would be no problem). Making the diffuse texture was another thing I took my time with, I have more versions, the first one would be really bad. Seeing how bad it was I chopped the model in to pieces and re baked everything. It looks nicer now but I might add more details to it later.

Because all the ruined model are basically the same color and the diffuse doesn't do Jack in wc3 engine I'll be adding more details and colors to the entire pack. It would probably look a lot nicer after I made vegetation to. Over all expect what you seen so far to suffer more changes.

There are some evident seams in the model which I'll fix with sculptris paint right away.

210613-albums6805-picture75677.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75675.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75676.jpg

Wc3 lighting doesn't help the models much, seeing the same color range in all the models became a bit of a problem and it's not pleasing.

210613-albums6805-picture75679.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75678.jpg

Don't think that the last 2 images are actually terrains. I just placed the models how I felt like it in the worst angle possible to give you a bad example, they are far from being finished. You'll be impressed after I'm done with them eventually!

Video

Here's a video of the High poly model to give you a idea about the poly density.

Warning! Turn off the sound! I Forgot to record without sound so my graphics card warning will buzz you constantly.

Last edited:
Level 28
Really cool stuff! I love ruins and I always felt the same about the lack of cool doodads for ruined settings, I'm glad your working with this theme! :D

So what you're aiming to create is terrain-only doodads, or the fact that they're too high poly and heavy to properly run game is just a temporary stage?

Level 16
The pack is dedicated for terraining yes, the models are little bit over average high poly, like the broken column parts, they have extra vertices wich I was lazy to "make them be less"~! I did however optimize them so they are usable in playable games no prob. The thing is I'm just too pretentious when it comes to optimization, would probably optimize them to the last unwanted vertex for playable purposes but they're Ok for usage I guess. People should find them useful for mods. Use them in your projects has you see fit!

The super ultra high poly model which you see in the video is for transferring the bump to a low poly version, short - for details transfer.

For more news I made 3 versions of the lion and am making modifications to most of the textures so you guys can have nice looking models. As for me I'll be using the simple diffuse textures with the normal bump technique + shadow mapping, You'll see when I get there!

-------------------------------------------
Update!
Common Yellow Leaf Tree
Because I am busy all I managed to do is a few hours of work per day when I actually have the chance. Aside from the ugly dead tree I made my first Live one with the help of a nice script for max that generates Procedural trees. Don't get me wrong, the program does most of the work but it only generates high poly trees starting from a basic tree shape. From there it was up to me to make the shape of the tree not to mention the hard work of optimizing it. Aside from this I discovered another program that grows vines on every kind of geometric surface, I'll show you guys on the next updates!

Since this is my first tree I won't be using it because it's not the desired model I was looking for, just a test tree. In the end I will still add it to the pack.

210613-albums6805-picture75770.jpg

Leaves with transparent layer

210613-albums6805-picture75772.jpg

Leaves with blend layer. They look closer to the original texture and a lot nicer from close up but having all those planes drains out performance as Talavaj suggested. Those of you with weak PC's watch out! Even if the leaves are low poly the model still has - 7500 faces.

210613-albums6805-picture75771.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75773.jpg
210613-albums6805-picture75774.jpg
210613-albums6805-picture75775.jpg
210613-albums6805-picture75776.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75777.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75778.jpg

The tree has only one branch variation.

By the next update I'll hope to have some vegetation done.
You might notice some uv miscoordination and visible seams. Will fix them no worries!

Last edited:
Level 17
I like I like.
I have a beef with procedural programs though.
I mean, they are great in generating ton of geometry in a couple seconds but they are usually hyper unoptimized.
I have been looking into speedtree which is pretty much an industry standard software for that but it is hellishly expensive for what it does.

The ivy generator is pretty good, probably the best ap that does that. But it generates obscene amounts of geometry lol.
Which is sad because it looks gorgeous. Though still, you may be able to project the mesh as a texture onto flat planes or something.
I'll definitely try doing that, or render textures with it at least as it is pretty good at leafy formations quick (and you can set your own leaves too).

Level 16
I definitely recommend the ivy generator. It's really efficient for generating them along any surface all you have to do is ad planes over the mesh bake projections and BAAM! I do feel the same about all that detail, to bad games don't cope.

The procedural programs are apain in the Ars, they should be lightweighting your work but you do just as much work trying to make the thing low poly.

This is just a test, would like my trees to look just as good as crysis 3 but I guess that won't be possible with the wc3 engine, might look awesome with lightmaps.

I'd like to put together a small terrain sample with the resources I have so far because the current scene is god awful but I still need the vegetation made. Was also thinking to post more videos for presentation and a few movies of my entire workflow to make things more interesting.

I started making my models but not perfecting them. I first need content, then I'll move on to the to the detail improvement part.

Oh and 7500 faces is barely nothing. My computer sucks but not too much. I've been feeling a tiny bit of lag with blend material. I wonder how much older computers lag?!
---------------
Guess what?
Aside from the ruins, I'm working on a whole environment now. I made my first trees successfully, and they look ok. Additional made some really nice HQ tiles and done some work on the actual terrain. It all looks like Crysis in my head! Because I want to give you a jaw down I'll work on it until I get something impressive so unfortunately you won't get any updates too soon. I may however fool you with minor posts to keep you interested!

Update!
This is one of those minor posts I was talking about. I won't reveal much until I get something actually done~!
Here's the ivy generator program in action.

Common green Tree
A sneak peek of the actual tree. The leaves have their own occlusion and I also updated the trunk with some bump.

210613-albums6805-picture75901.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75899.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75902.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75903.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75904.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75905.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75906.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75907.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75908.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75909.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75910.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75911.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75912.jpg

I took DSgamer's advise and added some bump to the wall, it doesn't look like a bunch of smooth potatoes anymore, still working on that.

Last edited:
Level 16
Not yet, I'm still constantly changing the textures daily till I'll be satisfied. Also for now I'm just slapping the doodads together to try leaving you with the impression that they match well together. The previous screenshots where uhhh! I don't know why I'm making terrible screenshots lately.

Here's another chaotic screenshot!

210613-albums6805-picture76018.png

210613-albums6805-picture76017.jpg

There seems to be something wrong with my internet. Would someone mind telling me if you are seeing the jpg screenshots really horribly comprest or am I the only one that sees them like that?

Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Screenies are alright and they look damn fantastic. I'm really looking forward to this pack. It's gonna become the offspring of a large number of awesome terrains.

Level 16
I seriously can't say, because I DON'T KNOW, plus I'm not very happy with the way they turned out so I'm rework them again. I am seriously taking my time on them because I want them perfect. I'll get back on them after I finish with the terrain contest but I'm usually very busy so I do everything how my time permits. I don't think I'll get them done before your deadline for the Mini-mapping contest, I still have a main project to give attention like OVH!

I definitely recommend the ivy generator. It's really efficient for generating them along any surface all you have to do is ad planes over the mesh bake projections and BAAM! I do feel the same about all that detail, to bad games don't cope.

The procedural programs are apain in the Ars, they should be lightweighting your work but you do just as much work trying to make the thing low poly.

This is just a test, would like my trees to look just as good as crysis 3 but I guess that won't be possible with the wc3 engine, might look awesome with lightmaps.

I'd like to put together a small terrain sample with the resources I have so far because the current scene is god awful but I still need the vegetation made. Was also thinking to post more videos for presentation and a few movies of my entire workflow to make things more interesting.

I started making my models but not perfecting them. I first need content, then I'll move on to the to the detail improvement part.

Oh and 7500 faces is barely nothing. My computer sucks but not too much. I've been feeling a tiny bit of lag with blend material. I wonder how much older computers lag?!
---------------
Guess what?
Aside from the ruins, I'm working on a whole environment now. I made my first trees successfully, and they look ok. Additional made some really nice HQ tiles and done some work on the actual terrain. It all looks like Crysis in my head! Because I want to give you a jaw down I'll work on it until I get something impressive so unfortunately you won't get any updates too soon. I may however fool you with minor posts to keep you interested!

Update!
This is one of those minor posts I was talking about. I won't reveal much until I get something actually done~!
Here's the ivy generator program in action.

Common green Tree
A sneak peek of the actual tree. The leaves have their own occlusion and I also updated the trunk with some bump.

210613-albums6805-picture75899.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75902.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75903.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75904.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75905.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75906.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75907.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75908.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75909.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75910.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75911.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture75912.jpg

I took DSgamer's advise and added some bump to the wall, it doesn't look like a bunch of smooth potatoes anymore, still working on that.

Trees !! Trees !! Trees !! , I love tree models, I can't wait to release it !!! :ogre_haosis:

Level 16
sigelang, Keiji, sonofjay, Thanks!

Talavaj - Yeah, sucks! I've been trying to use large textures for a while now but I get all sorts of problems. The only way is to split the mesh and textures to pieces.
210613-albums6274-picture76467.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture76111.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76470.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76468.jpg
I Want to split the 2048px texture in 6 pieces of 512px but I don't know how I'm going to do that since the model is already split in 3 2048px texture, and If I do so there will be visible seams to each mesh. Correcting that is easy when I have one mesh like the rock example but there are other problems like how do I correct seams in different meshes if they are not connected? I also tried a script that keeps the normals after cutting objects and makes it seem like one mesh but it doesn't do jack in wc3. At least for the ruine pack I'll keep it simple to a max of 2 meah for every object no matter how big.

Level 16
No certain release date yet however I'll be getting back to it soon. I might make a release sooner than you think, the reason being that I only have to make some more trees, a cliff and I'm done also to me they all seem like large pieces of poop so I'm not really fond of the models. Yeah I want to be done with it, was a nice exercise but I plan to make something a lot better. I also want to to include it to Unity assets along with the bump wich in Warcraft just doesn't work very well and there is no one that uses bump here anyway.

Wondering if you will upload another pack that contains "optimized" textures. The textures are really really awesome but sadly the filesize is too ... too heavy. I can only lift 250kb per model[including textures offcoarse]. If you could lower the textures resolution from 512x512 to 256x256 , maybe i can use it , i only suggest to sharpen the textures so that it will not really looks that blurry.

Level 28
If you could lower the textures resolution from 512x512 to 256x256 , maybe i can use it , i only suggest to sharpen the textures so that it will not really looks that blurry.

Try using blp lab, you can reduce the filesize by 50-60%(or even more) with that.

I'll have to get some things clarified about this first early version for you guys. What are the packs greatest defects in general and what I'll be adding and changing in the next version.

Already told you my complaints so I'm gonna throw some stuffs that you can add.

• A couple or more statue variations. Can be another animal or maybe some knight statues.
  • A fitting texture for the default warcraft 3 rock and texture that we can use for warcraft 3's default arcs, columns and walls since those stuffs are really useful and I think we can make awesome stuffs with those alongside your custom models.
  • Maybe some custom torches and lantern? Though we can just use b2m's work on that.
  • Coffins?
  • Fall variation of trees? (Orange/brownish leaves)

Level 2
Can you tell me how many things are contained in the pack and the total filesize for the whole pack @@ ??

Also, which tool is recommended to use for creating 3D effect images ?? (my sister asked me to ask you -.- not me)

_______
Thank you :)

Level 16
A few models, the size is 7mb, you can find out by downloading!
Why would your sister ask? Is she a graphic artist? If you are referring to photo editing than photoshop or anything that comes in handy. For 3d effects I use 3ds max, I don't need a photo editor to create them, let's say I combine them all programs together, there are special photo editors for creating 3D effect images but I really don't know since I really don't use. The images you see in the description are made and render in 3ds max, if she uses a 3d program, blender is also a alternativ. If she wants to learn about anything 3d related the best answer would be training tutorials from you tube, some reading is also required.

Level 16
Updates and Improvements for V2

Started to improve the models from the ruine pack, can't believe that it took only a simple editing. You already seen this in the SC2 conversion Pack.
Before

210613-albums6274-picture78754.png

After

210613-albums6274-picture78755.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture78753.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture78756.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture78757.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture78752.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture78751.jpg

Corecting and improving existing models
I am retexturing, eliminating all visible seams and correcting everything as humanly possible as I can. Models will now have more improved and enhanced details.

210613-albums6274-picture79170.jpg

Water
Making my own water, it's not as fancy as Talavaj's but I'll give the reflection thing a experimental trial. This water was originally made for OVH ep 2.

210613-albums6274-picture79171.jpg

Upcoming models in the making
I was aiming for a modular pack so this is what you'll be seeing in v2
210613-albums6274-picture79160.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture79161.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture79162.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture79163.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture79164.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture79165.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture79166.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture79167.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture79168.jpg