• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

To Do List (old posts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suggestion to chat room

I suggest to add some type of "temporary file folder" on the chat room.
You submit a file to this area, and any user of the hive can enter on this folder and download this file.
To prevent abuses, the maximum file height can be 1mb, and, the uploaded file is automaticaly deleted after 10 minutes they are uploaded.
If this can be added, people will save many time without needing to send pms or emails.

I am just giving a sugestion.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I would like to bring this point up. How is this actually implemented? It seems the only place where the custom made minimap is being shown is at the front page where is the 'newest map'. All maps at the resource section still display their 'real' minimap images.
I dunno this actually. I don't even reckon making this. Weird...

I just got another idea which i wanted to tell you.Why don't you create a new replay section where people can send their own replays from different matches they played?Then they will be commented and rated.People will be able to post their DotA match or any kind of that stuff.
~Regards UchihaSasuke.gr
We are gonna make that.

I suggest to add some type of "temporary file folder" on the chat room.
You submit a file to this area, and any user of the hive can enter on this folder and download this file.
To prevent abuses, the maximum file height can be 1mb, and, the uploaded file is automaticaly deleted after 10 minutes they are uploaded.
If this can be added, people will save many time without needing to send pms or emails.
I am just giving a sugestion.
Very good idea, I am gonna make that.

Any chance we could have a JASS Snippets section, like the one at wc3sear.ch ?
Somewhere were people could post usefull little functions ect?
That will come too!

One more thing that cought my attention:
I like the categorisation by spell type (unit-targeted, ground-targeted, passive/aura, etc..) but Ralle hasn't thought about spell packs! What about adding a "Spell pack" category?
No, not a category. I am gonna make pack systems later.

Level 9
Just something small here, how bout a classification for systems in the spell section? Because at the moment the closest you get is "No Target"

Level 9
Hmmm,
could you add .j files to the file types that can be uploaded.
Long scripts might take up too much forum space when using
JASS:
 tags.

Level 32
The Hive's vBulletin Attachment Manager allows .doc .rar .txt and .zip files to be attached.

Even though it is a bit of extra work to include .js files using those methods, I don't think it's very likely that our webmaster will allow (direct) uploading of javascript files to our forum.

Level 2
How about adding a
Tag so we could add additional Informations, which aren't interesting for all people.
It also can decrease the size of a post, e.g. a
around a big
JASS:

Level 16
Make that updated maps are also shown on the front page as the "newest map". It is ridicilous how when a person updates his map he loses the 'newest map' status on the front page. Right now we have over 5 days old map as the 'newest map'. Since the 'newest map' displayed on the front page always gets a lot more downloads compared the what the other maps get I think its important to get this fixed asap to give everybody a fair shot to get their map downloaded and played.

Level 32
As the resource sections are further developed, this feature may be added. No promises on the time element though guys: Ralle has only two hands to type with, 24 hours per day and a real life to lead (as do we all).

Please be patient as the Chieftain strives to make our Hive as useful and powerful as possible.

[off-topic] I'll merge this thread into his To Do list so that he will see it ASAP.

~ Thread merged.

Level 40
Hmmm, adding the wc3sear.ch's Director's Choice would be great.
/sign

Whats about an additional option, in the maps section, that allows you to upload screenshots? Or only one picture with many screenshots in it, like in the spell section
You can only upload one screenshot in the spells section, people just glue together a few with MS Paint or something else, and post them as a single shot.

However, why is this such a big deal? Wouldn't you want the same picture present as that attached to your map itself?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'll post my previous suggestions here, so you can keep track of them.

1. The first idea was about the Polls. I was wondering if it was possible to have multiple polls instead of just one. Would be useful when you have multiple questions, instead of creating separate topics in order to have two polls, simply post one topic with two polls.
  2. The second idea came long ago. I still don't like the idea of having a forum for guests, since it would probably be problematic. Someone had the idea of creating a guest forum, but someone else commented that it would bring a old problem; the bots. However, as we do for registrations, we can ask the question "Are you a Bot?" with Yes by default, so we can make sure the bots won't get in. Or we could have the image with a code, like in most sites.
  3. The third idea is to allow attachments in Private Messages. Would be better than posting the attachments somewhere for a specific person to download them.
  4. (Not Important) The fourth is actually a suggestion. Can you allow bigger attachments for Campaigns? Campaigns usually take more than 5 MB. Perhaps at least 10 MB or something? Or does that exceed the limit?
  5. Put a comments column in all resources, so people won't have to load every resource in order to see the number of comments.
  6. A "Report Comment" feature.

Level 6
My thoughts about map ratings

Map ratings - this has been annoying me for a while, but just a few days ago I thought I'd have to post about it. I searched and found this thread which contained about all the suggestions I would've named too, so I'd like to point at that one. However, it seems that when the thread was posted and actively discussed, the main issue was on the other end of the scale.

Frooker and I wanted to test all the top-rated hive maps a couple of days ago when it struck me as super-obvious: it is too easy to get a top rating. I browsed for maps, sorted by rating...and lo and behold: maps with lots of - obviously 10 points - ratings, but with few or none comments and which aren't even approved yet. Figures, it's pretty easy to manipulate. If I'd want some 10s on my map, I'd just post the URL in one of the IRC channels I regularily idle in. That would be some easy 10s and that's what makes the whole system so easily abusive.

Another point going along with it is that, while comments are certainly handy to pick a map and see if there actually is something "behind" the rating, I'd say that most people (including myself usually) will just check for the rating and download a map according to that - which often is followed by a lot of frustration. My point is just that it is too easy to "fake" the aspect showing "map quality" that is actually more relevant. That's why I suggest:
1) allowing only logged-in users to rate maps and
2) make map-rating as an additional function of your comment to the map.
People won't necessarily have to add a whole novel with their rating, but at least everyone can see who rated what. Maybe you could even add a system to allow users to approve / disapprove of a comment and thus the rating linked to it. This way I believe more map section mods wouldn't necessarily be required, since users could spot "abusers" (their number should be reduced due to the harder requirements of rating faking) by themselves and then report them to mods, also, a highly disapproved comment/rating could be used as an "alert" system for mods. Additionally, I think that people will think twice before rating a map when they know that their name will be shown next to their rating, thus maybe increasing rating honesty (although not necessarily, probably people will rate more mildly overall, which is actually an issue) and, i believe, certainly decreasing the number of "fun" ratings.

In the other thread linked above, Ralle and Purplepoot said something which i agree on: that another problem would be the way ratings work, scaling from 1 to 10. Especially Purplepoot pointed out that he would rate a map he considers to be good a 7 according to the tooltips. I also had that problem a couple of times already when rating maps. I thought "this map is cool, but is it really outstanding?" But if the map had ratings among 9 before, it's hard and may seem unfair to rate it 7 - even if that would be your actual opinion. I however have no real idea how to fix this, I believe that being able to give up to 10 points for a map is better than just saying "I like/dislike it". Maybe both things could be combined and the tooltips behind the rating removed. Users could simply grant a map 1 to 10 stars and a download recommendation/no download recommendation (just like the "I like/dislike it" thingie), both attached to their comment. That might be a possible solution; but i don't know, maybe others have some good objections that make this idea seem stupid.

Anyway, I hope i didn't just address something that was discussed in the mod forum all this time anyway. I just thought i'd like to point at this issue again after i had browsed the maps section the last couple of days. Thanks for reading!

Level 32
Your suggestions are already in the works, Unhit.

Ralle is working to redevelop the scripts that manage and display the resource ratings. The model section is first on his list, thereafter all the other resources sections will follow.

Of course, the ability of guests to rate resources can easily skew an item's rating if said guests act inappropriately (rate submissions without testing, commenting or just because they can).

The new rating system will be far more powerful, useful and transparent. We are all going to have to try to be patient while the Chieftain works his webmaster magic. Stay tuned.

I got an idea: Maybe something like a sort of "sticky", but for maps and such, where the hosted projects would go, so they'd get more attention.

Either that or a way to sort through all the stuff via popularity, number of downloads, most commented, etc. So people don't get discouraged if they find "lower-quality" models on the first few pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.