• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[THW Terraining Challenges] Challenge #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
2iabrwk.jpg

Challenge #1 - No Imports

For the first Terraining Challenge we will return to the beginning and basics of terraining. A long time ago before most of our accounts weren't even born, there were great terrainers who have pioneered most of the techniques we use so commonly today. But most importantly, they have done so without fancy custom models, without the awesome misc data h4x and without the comfort of the Ultimate Terraining Map.

In this challenge you will have to take your creativity to the max and create a terrain using only what God (Read: Blizzard) has given us.

Examples

To provide you with some inspiration, here is an exemple:

wboqvd.jpg

Rules:

• No custom resources are allowed. This means no UTM, no imports, no anything. Just the World Editor Blizzard has given us.
  • When commenting on somebody elses terrain, be constructive; otherwise, don't bother posting at all
  • You are allowed to have multiple entries, as long as they are attached to one post.

Date:

This Challenge will start September 6 and conclude September 13

Entries

[++] Pictures 1-4
1 - Megafyr
2 - CoBrA b
3 - Hugget Sukker
4 - madcd

[ + ] Pictures 5-7
5 - Archipelago
6 - Keiji
7 - Sheephunter

[+-] Pictures 8-10
8 - Multigod
9 - Rocker742
10 - Darkvym

[ - ] Pictures 11-13

11 - Fan
12 - syltman
13 - Supertoinkz

Winner

Megafyr

Attachments

• WiPEntry2.jpg
    WiPEntry2.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 205
  • WiP3.jpg
    WiP3.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 219
  • No%20Imports%202.png
    No%20Imports%202.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 217
  • No%20Imports.png
    No%20Imports.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 249
  • The%20Arena.jpg
    The%20Arena.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 203
  • No-import.jpg
    No-import.jpg
    723 bytes · Views: 208
  • MiniChallenge-Final.jpg
    MiniChallenge-Final.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Countryside.png
    Countryside.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 217
  • CaveWIP3.jpg
    CaveWIP3.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 197
  • Screenshot%20#9.JPG
    Screenshot%20#9.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 190
  • Miniterraincontestwip2.jpg
    Miniterraincontestwip2.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 197
  • TerrainChallenge1.jpg
    TerrainChallenge1.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 208
  • waterfall.png
    waterfall.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Level 19
idk when i start the pc it shows some green vertical lines on the screen, loads windows then black...
im using mah 32Mb shared onboard card now xD

Level 7
This is my entry, showing Arthas being corrupted by frostmourne as he took it up.

Attachments

• Arthas.jpg
    Arthas.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 242
If this contest isn't going to start before a mod comes then why is the date from September 6 too September 13? That just doesn't make any sense! :p
We will be getting a mod after the big contest. This weekly contest will be on a hold up. By the way Arcany you cant just make contests on your own. Your not a mod.
Only mod can give 15 rep at once for only contests and other events. Each user giving the winner rep is a bad idea and i know when something is a bad idea.

Level 7
If this contest isn't going to start before a mod comes then why is the date from September 6 too September 13? That just doesn't make any sense! :p
We will be getting a mod after the big contest. This weekly contest will be on a hold up. By the way Arcany you cant just make contests on your own. Your not a mod.

You don't understand. I have created these Weekly Challenges mainly as a terraining practice, and it is a way to draw more hivers to the terrain forum.

Ofcourse this isn't an official contest, heck, it isn't even a ''contest'' just a challenge in which you can compete against yourself and others. Very maybe this will be made official when the new mod comes. If you want to focus on Terraining Contest #8, by all means do so; this has no reward (yet) anyway. For now, you need to see this as Weekly Terraining on wc3c.

Level 11
MultiGod: The main area looks nice, but maybe you could put a little more tile variation in that central area, it's pure rough dirt atm and doesn't look so good imo.
The area around the center could also use some more doodad variation, like shrubs, flowers, etc, to give it a more natural feel. Some fog would also be nice.

Arcany: Looking good, nice use of the campaign screen models.
The only problems I can see is that Arthas might be a little hard to see, and the blue fire around / behind him doesn't fit the snowy environment.

Anyway, I'm going to give this a try, here's my entry.

Attachments

• Countryside.png
    Countryside.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 230
Level 10
this is my first attempt at an entry . . . i am strugeling to carry it on . . .as its already crashed my pc once . . . . damn wc3's bad rendering system . . lol

but none the less thers lots more to add, the sheep were bit of a laugh, but i'm alsoi currently biulding a nice model for a game and its taking much longer than expected.

Attachments

• entry4.jpg
    entry4.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 185
  • entry3.jpg
    entry3.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 143
  • entry2.jpg
    entry2.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 189
  • entry1.jpg
    entry1.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 166
Level 7
@ MultiGod

Pretty standard for playable, very blizzard stylish; nothing wrong with that but the point of this challenge is to be really creative without custom imports.

Try to add a fog, choose a more creative camera angle, use doodad constructions etc. really try to think out of the box, look at the other entries and attempt something really creative ;)

@ Darkvym

Pretty nice, but also pretty standard. The idea and execution is nice, but it misses something: epicness. Since it's a birdeye's view and you can't play around with the sky you should try to give a bigger overview. Try to add depth and epicness to it.

@ madcd

This is win. This is really creative: using lillies on a world tree to make leaves, using river rushes as grass, creating walls out of rocks with bookcase borers (at least I think they are bookcases^^).

It's coming along pretty nice, but instead of those rays of light try to make the sky use a campaign background. I would advice to somehow cover the border of riverrushes in the front, and maybe add some plants. Also, maybe it would be nice to create some path through the riverrushes and use some fences maybe?

madcd, no imports allowed! Read the Rules.

I see no imports ^^

@ Hugget Sukker

It's a nice piece of art, but not much more to say about it :p

---

Good job so far guys, the entries are coming along very nice. Keep it up and good luck!

Level 35

That is quite an offence towards a user that is being so damn fucking creative with the blizz doodads. If you open your eyes you can see the following:

The grass is made out of river rushes.

The tree is made out of a world tree base, and the "Lily" doodad raised and tiped over and then again spammed to seem like leaves.

And the fence is made of.. Lordaron rocks?

The only thing I see that I cannot recognize is the wood used at the end of the fence, but seeing as you did such a great job with everything else I guess that is just another awesome exploited model that is streched or minimized enough to seem like something else.

Great work madcd, I hope to see your final pic.

Level 7
They require custom paths, which makes them custom and therefore they are excluded from this challenge.

Level 10

its all wc3 standerd . . . didnt import anything. . . . . . . . and yes book cases . .xD i think lorderan rocks i just tinted them . . . and finnishing it depends on how well my pc can cope . . lol theres some 10 odd thoudsand doodas visable i did have the main field as grass but thats when it crahsed.
cheers all

Level 14
Oh well, good theme, didn't take to long to create something, enjoy.

edit: Forgot to say that this is a wip

Last edited:
Level 5
wait... i dont get it..

EDIT: if you want to make multiple angled doodads of the same type do you have to.. set its pitch angle to a negative on one for it to be that angle, then you make a new one with a different - angle to get another doodad with a different - angle?

Level 10
Wow, actually coming out quite well, MultiGod.

Even though it's very standard and alike to the old Blizzard maps, it's looking well now. Being more detailed and with a brighter fog, it's good.

From a terrainer's view, I quickly realize the lack of creativity, though. You could have been more creative with untraditional models, built your own walls, and made height differences out of terrain variance, for example. By the last, I mean for example raising the terrain with 5 clicks on each tile of ruined bricks; creating some dynamics. It lacks some individuality imo.
But nonetheless, I quite like the scene. gj

Level 7
And also, what does the winner get?

If its not decided, how about like 5 rep (or something) and the terrain is placed in a "Mini Challenge - Hall Of Fame"?

Only going to say this one more time, check this out: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/terraining-mini-challenge-142949/

About the ''Hall of Fame'' thing, I might get some one to judge next week's challenge and then maybe I´ll put up some Hall of Fame in the link I have posted above ^

There is only 1 hall of flame and it's The Legendary thread.

lol xD

Level 10
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.