• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[THW Terraining Challenges] Challenge #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
2iabrwk.jpg

Challenge #2 - Co Terraining: Disaster & Destruction

For the second Terraining Challenge the theme will be: destruction, cataclysm, apocalypse, doom, disaster, utter destruction... you get it?^^; for this challenge I want to see erupting volcanoes, flooded forests, whole chuncks of land being whirled into tornadoes, entire cities smashed to pieces etc.

But I also've got a challenge to add to this theme: Co-terraining. For this challenge you will have to find yourself a terraining partner, work together and complement eachother to the max in order to win.
Inspiration

Just incase the ideas I have provided aren't enough:

2cs6nnk.jpg

11i32i9.jpg

Rules:

• Your terrain must follow the theme: Disaster and Destruction
  • Your terrain must be a Co-Terrain which means it has to be made by you AND a partner
  • 50% of the terrain has to be made by you, the other 50% by your partner
  • When commenting on somebody elses terrain, be constructive; otherwise, don't bother posting at all
  • Only one entry is allowed per couple.
  • Your partner must be registered on The Hive
  • Specify who has done what in the post containing your final entry; for example:

Stuff done by me:- Atmosphere, lightning effects and river; Sexyness also by me
    Stuff done by partner:- Doodad constructions, mountains.

Date:

This Challenge will start September 13 and conclude September 27

Good luck to you all, I hope to see many entries. If you have any ideas, questions or sugestions for the challenge, please go here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/terraining-mini-challenge-142949/

Entries

[-] #1 - Multigod and The-Rave

The terrain is very chaotic and a lot of improvements could be made

Last edited:
Level 7
is it allowed to terrain with ( for my example) my brother? he isn't registred at THW...

I have added a new rule. You can terrain with you brother when he registers to the hive.

This is supposed to be a co-terraining and I don't want to see people making up imaginary friends/relatives to escape the rules^^

always terrain as 2 . . . . theres me and theres myself . . . we have our arguments but we work well as a team . . . xD

Even those with DID or MPD will have to find another registered hiver to do a terrain with^^

Level 11
Arcany, if his brother registers he may run the risk of being banned due to the IP Sharing rule... =/ If someone needs a partner I can help a bit I suppose.

Only if he does not report to admins he is creating that account for his brother.

"Under certain unusual circumstances users may create an additional user account.
If another account exists or is created users must report their new (or secondary) account in THW's Admin Contact forum. The report must indicate:
1. The primary username and e-mail address.
2. The secondary username and e-mail address.
3. The reason(s) for which the additional account exists or is being created. "

Anyway... still looking for a partner.

Level 7
How many times will I have to repeat myself to you; this is not a contest this is a weekly terraining practice/challenge.

Level 7
I'm not forcing you to do this; I mean if you want/can dedicate one hour a week to the challenges that's fine. If you don't have the time/dedication to do that that's also fine.

This is mainly meant as a way to draw ppl to the terraining forum and provide practice and inspiration to people, not as a terraining factory you have to work 24/7 on.

You can also just wait for an interesting theme/challenge to come along, you don't have to enter all of them.

Level 10
I don't know if this is a good idea....... I'm better at getting ideas than judging them....
But you could make a compromise by enforcing this rule:

- Old challenges continue after the results for those who want to delay judgement of their ranking, but participants who post WiPs in an older challenge are disqualified from the challenge taking place when the WiP is posted.
- This right expires completely for everyone, two weeks after the conclusion of a challenge.

Edit:
OR you could simply encourage ppl to post their continued work on old challenge terrains in the Terrain Mini Challenge thread.

Level 10
Darkyvm, I'll team up with you if you're game. Ofcourse you'll do better this time ;)

On second thought, I'm not sure that I can promise my time and effort for a teamed terrain at this time. If we have to do it 50/50, we must both be sure that we have the time needed, or it will be bad for the other part. And I'm not 100% sure I've got the time, so, sorry...

I think these challenges are cool. I think it's a really great idea. Yet, I have this point of criticism for the current challenge that I think a teamed terrain challenge is more appealing when more time is set off to it. Since these are weekly challenges, it might be too short for us to work anything out, so co-terrain is a bad week-chall theme imo. But I don't have a problem with it :) You can participate or don't. I just don't have enough time for this one, although the disaster theme really appeals to me.

I just hope to see some work from people who has time and interest.

Level 7
I don't know if this is a good idea....... I'm better at getting ideas than judging them....
But you could make a compromise by enforcing this rule:

- Old challenges continue after the results for those who want to delay judgement of their ranking, but participants who post WiPs in an older challenge are disqualified from the challenge taking place when the WiP is posted.
- This right expires completely for everyone, two weeks after the conclusion of a challenge.

Edit:
OR you could simply encourage ppl to post their continued work on old challenge terrains in the Terrain Mini Challenge thread.

Well, I just want to keep this a weekly challenge; I don't want to make it a really complicated thing.

If people look at older challenges, become inspired and make 'n post a terrain on the forum that's great, but it will have nothing to do with the challenge as I'm not really in the mood of keeping track of that:p

--

I agree that since this is a co-terraining challenge, a week might be a bit short.

So in this case:

- Solo Terraining Challenges will have a weekly duration
- Co-Terraining Challenges will have a biweekly duration

Level 10
as i said i'm steping out dont have time and i'm not gonna have some who depends on me . . . . . .tho you know wc3 scales textures to the correct size . . . is the high res textetures just 128x128 scaled down in wc3 oir just nice textures cos i want to make a my own ones but i'm not sure weater i just makes some nice textures or i find real textures and scale

Level 10
Btw, Multigod and The-Rave, I think it looks rather nice with the crazy people and bonfire on top of the temple in WiP 3. But I think maybe the thing is a little too crammed, leaving no room for cool details. I also think that, even though you're making a tropical temple-thing, you should use some different ground textures; something darker and eviller; underscoring the fact that it is apocalypse. It's like you're trying to include paradise and hell in the same terrain, which I believe could have been done better. Some of the trees that have catched fire wouldn't be so green and neat anymore, after the stage of flames they have entered. I'd use dead tree models for some of them instead, and use some prettier palm trees now that imports are allowed. Also, some of the trees would probably have fallen. You could do that so simple as entering a negative value in Pitch and Roll.

At least, do something to make the story more clear. Anything I said above about dead trees, fallen trees, ground textures, and debris, would make the story clearer I believe. But ofc there're probably other ways. I just think you should try to add more of that harsh reality feeling to it. Know what I mean?

Last edited:
Level 8
I really don't like your choice of tilesets and tree's. I suggest using some dungeon tilesets or the volcanic ones that have the really dark rock tilesets. Those would make the terrain look like its affected. Secondly, your trees look just sorta wierd. Try making less trees but bigger and more spread apart. That way with the tilesets, you could make it look like its more destroyed in some areas and less destroyed in others and then add the dead trees. I also suggest adding broken down trees since there are flying meteors hitting the ground. And lastly, make the temple look more destroyed by removing some parts like arches or replacing other doodads with destroyed versions of the original doodads. Or if there is no destroyed version, just make them darker and more red. And for the fire, use the building fire human large or something cause fire base looks really ugly.

Level 7
Hmm, not many entries this time. I think I'll leave out the co-terraining in the future.

Level 10
*in a sarcastic tone* 2late Rcaney now me an i chillkiela and me nver playng ur stupid contes no mor becos u mate us n00bing co-map u n00bing n00by n00b!!! (friendly parody of none specific)

*Serious* Chillakilla'n'I will maybe come with something interesting in the last moment. We have an idea, but not a WiP.

*Almost Serious* Can we maybe participate with only an idea, and nothing to actually show? Do you think we'd have a chance to "win" then?? Maybe?

Level 7
Hmmm, I guess Multigod and The-Rave have won this by only participating. I hope to see more entries next time^^

This Challenge has concluded.

Status
Not open for further replies.