• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

THW flagged as unsafe by Norton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
I have THW in my bookmark toolbar just so I can click it on accident

I did, and was discovered Norton has flagged the site as unsafe.

https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com

Copy/pasting from the link above:

Here is a complete list: (for more information about a specific threat, click on the Threat Name below)

Threat Name: Suspicious.MH690
Location: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...vertex-editor-matrixeater3dv0.16a_windows.zip

It's nice to see that the website is still alive (however alive it is) after almost a decade.

Level 7
Hence why I don't use Norton... it flags almost EVERY site as unsafe. Except its own, obviously.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I sometimes get a notification when browsing on Hive that a Phishing link from an URL something like 'wowmmorpg.com' was blocked, the URL is different than that, but something sounding like a mmorpg game site.

However, I used to have Norton and I agree with SMBComix, it is very sensitive and careful, therefore tagging everything as unsafe having the slightest issue.

It is an unfortunate side-effect of the way some tools work :(

But for any approved resources, you can ignore those suspicions. One common false-positive is flagging JassNewGenPack as malware (in fact, chrome will probably warn you before downloading JassNewGenPack off the hive!). This is due to the way the tool "hooks" its way into the editor--and that can easily be misinterpreted as malware activity.

I don't know if we can do anything to clear those lists. It just is a matter of trust--and you can whitelist it if necessary. :)

Level 21
They do nothing but chew up memory and internet usage (a problem for people with low end pcs and data caps). If you're a smart browser you don't need anyting past security essentials.

Just stop pirating software and downloading stuff from weird sites (Hmm) and you will be fine.
I agree,I myself don't use any anit virus and I'm still fine

Level 15
Smart browsing is the single biggest thing you can do to avoid a virus. Don't go to sketchy sites, don't download "free" things, etc. When I feel like there's an issue, I'll boot from a rescue disk and clean house. Anti virus is just basic insurance in most cases.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
How can you be sure you are fine? Are you certain your computer is not a zombie?

Anti virus does not assure that either way.

I cannot be sure, no. But I keep an eye on what happens. If I begin to get weird popups on my computer or icons I did not install, I will know something happened.

If your computer is ever infected, the only way you can be fully sure that you are free of it is to reinstall the OS. Just because you don't see anything wrong does not mean that the computer is fine.

Level 11
Avast is hardly noticeable as a background program so there aren't that many points for me to not have it running, it happens that I accidentally click a link on Facebook or somewhere else that are sketchy so safe browsing isn't bulletproof all the time.

And their web plugins are pretty good since they are based on user reviews, so rarely any issues visiting small sites like Hive.

Attachments

• anti virus.PNG
    anti virus.PNG
    28.9 KB · Views: 73
Status
Not open for further replies.