• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Thrall (Mountless) with Spell and Attack

I modified the Thrall (Dismounted) model to include a spell, attack, death, and dissipate animation so that it is more usable as an in-game hero rather than just a prop for a campaign like the built-in version.

Also, the mountless thrall in-game has a slightly different color of armor. I did not check if this is left over from some previous art style in the beta, but regardless I modified this model to use the armor color of the mounted Thrall hero from the campaign.

Edit: Update to include an improved version of this model that was updated by @InsaneMonster and sent to me. Please credit him if you use his updated version! Thanks.
Previews
Contents

Thrall (Mountless) with Spell and Attack (Model)

Thrall (Mountless) with Spell and Attack Portrait (Model)

Thrall Mountless Fixed by InsaneMonster (Model)

Reviews
Mr Ogre man
Useful edit. You can replace the existing model by importing this at C:\Warcraft III\_retail_\units\orc\thrallmountless\thrallmountless.mdx and thrallmountless_portrait.mdx I'd advise removing the LODs, but since this is made as a quality of life...
Level 3
Very impressive good a model, i'm looking for arthas undead mountless and arthas lichking with helm of domination. ^^

Last edited:
Level 10
dude! finally we can play this fine wcR models on normal wc3 thanks a lot. btw, the way he runs, is it really like that?

Level 3
I hope you know he didn't make this model, its Reforgeds model he just fixed it.
I know he didn't this is original reforged model but no attack animation, and he can custom malfurion mountless so i think he can custom arthas undead unmounted too.

Hi!
I'm currently working on Re-Reforging the prologue campaign, Exodus of the Horde. No new story addition, but improved design, terrain, difficulties and expecially cutscenes!
You can find my project details here: Warcraft 3 Re-Reforged Prologue Campaign

Since you added some missing animations to Thrall (unmounted) model (amazing work btw), may I ask if you can add aslo a no-glow variant of it? That could be useful for cutscenes.
Also, I noticed some animations in the default model are not working (like cinematic introduction one not resetting to the proper position once finished) and the head bone is not present (I cannot make it turn its head).

If you ever fix these problems with the model I would gladly use your updated model extensively in my project, giving proper credits of course =)

Cheers and keep up the good work!

Level 1
Is there a way to give it the Paladin Attacking animation for melee, and then that throwing animation for ranged?

Level 12
Any chance of making a variant with the Cataclysm Thrall model? The one with the white robe?

Level 3
i wander can you use the base stand attack and spell of HOST Thrall to Reforged Thrall

This looks really good. I wouldn't peg him to be a ranged hero still, though. You can base his animations off of his Heroes of the Storm counterpart, where Thrall is a melee attack unit. He wouldn't have the same attack animation(s) as a Paladin now, though. I don't know if you're actually considering suggestions for this model [anymore], but yeah, this was worth a shot.

Level 35
I added his model in my campaign but he looks a bit to small campared to the grunts :))
1638445778990.png

I added the model change for thrall and unmounted thrall
Seems that they are different in sizes. How can I change thrall size to match his unmounted variant?
1638446243411.png

Also it seems that the model does not have the talk animation, clicked like crazy to see if the mouth will move :))

Last edited:
I added his model in my campaign but he looks a bit to small campared to the grunts :))
View attachment 391029
I added the model change for thrall and unmounted thrall
Seems that they are different in sizes. How can I change thrall size to match his unmounted variant?View attachment 391030
Also it seems that the model does not have the talk animation, clicked like crazy to see if the mouth will move :))
You can edit the scale in world editor

Level 35
Hello again :)
Been using this model a lot now. Was able to understand more about how to modify him for my purpose.
While playing with him a lot I noticed the easy inconsistency that the original model present regarding his hammer.
I might be too picky with him but the doomhammer is a 1 handed weapon yet when looking at the size it has...it's like thrall is using a 2-handed mace similar to arthas