• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Things you would like for warcraft 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Here we go again... let us discuss about warcraft 4 as if it hasn't been "discussed' millions of times already.
I'd like to know what you guys would like or need to have in warcraft 4? Not about if or when or will warcraft 4 will be released or developed, but what you would like... like story, races, mechanics, etc.
I shall list the things I would at least need
-not developed by a starcraft engine
-keeps that same nice theme, art style, etc that was in warcraft 3 or 2 (or both )
-Micro!
-I will be fine with the story to be used that was already created in WoW, so for example in MoP the black dragon prince said that the "legion will return" so we can use that part of the main story for warcraft 4. Another way is not actually having a main story and just a mechanical game.
-Keep Heroes but improve the AI ( pathing! )
-NEEDS a WORLD EDITOR! more advanced but easier to learn if possible
-better battle.net (hacker protection,custom game list, b.net game finders, etc )
-If there is story, they should either produce is as they did in warcraft 2 or the campaigns they did in warcraft 3.
What do you think?!?! but of course lets not talk about if there will be a warcraft 4! :ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 4
My suggestions to add to your list are:

Here we go again... let us discuss about warcraft 4 as if it hasn't been "discussed' millions of times already.
I'd like to know what you guys would like or need to have in warcraft 4? Not about if or when or will warcraft 4 will be released or developed, but what you would like... like story, races, mechanics, etc.
I shall list the things I would at least need
-not developed by a starcraft engine
-keeps that same nice theme, art style, etc that was in warcraft 3 or 2 (or both )
-Micro!
-I will be fine with the story to be used that was already created in WoW, so for example in MoP the black dragon prince said that the "legion will return" so we can use that part of the main story for warcraft 4. Another way is not actually having a main story and just a mechanical game.
-Keep Heroes but improve the AI ( pathing! )
-NEEDS a WORLD EDITOR! more advanced but easier to learn if possible
-better battle.net (hacker protection,custom game list, b.net game finders, etc )
-If there is story, they should either produce is as they did in warcraft 2 or the campaigns they did in warcraft 3.
What do you think?!?! but of course lets not talk about if there will be a warcraft 4! :ogre_hurrhurr:

Okay, but what about the gameplay itself? I know this may be branded as unpopular, but hear my ideas out:

-different Orc factions (Frostwolf, Warsong, Blackrock) playable instead of considered all the same side

-Forsaken part of the Horde and not considered Undead Scourge

-Better Graphics (goes without saying)

Also

-Give the dragons more involvement with the story

-Neutral Hostile units have more importance to the story (i.e Revenants, Trolls, Ogres, etc.)

-More Orc banner doodads than just the banner of the Blackrock Clan!!

I know the last one isn't important to those of you with TFT, but if WC4 doesn't have a World Editor like TFT, this would make my day.

Level 32
KomissarReb said:
I know the last one isn't important to those of you with TFT, but if WC4 doesn't have a World Editor like TFT, this would make my day.
whaaat-i-dont-even.jpg

TitansZealot said:
Well! It wouldn't be Warcraft without it's style of micro wouldn't it? :)

- Option of 12+ unit control groups
- Even larger map bounds
- Extremely higher limit than 8mb for multiplayer

Level 24
A functional world editor.
DAT!!!

I would like to have complete control over object data, races.
And triggers with control over HUD and image display.
Also a better modifyable Damage System.
Mouse events, keyboard events, and an event like "A unit is choosing a target for an ability."
In-built implementation of priority based events on triggers.
In-built TESH and vJASS.
Increased maximum player amount. (Not neccesarily for melee maps but for AoS maps or Dungeon maps.)
And last but not least... Accurate PolledWait().
(I know I can use timers but not if I want to return something after the timer etc etc etc... at least not easy.)

Next to that... nah that would be enough... for now ;)

Level 8
About the race thing, there are several things that blizz can do...
It's either they spread lots of races apart ( major ones ) like forsaken,orcs of durotar,trolls,dwarves of Ironforge,night elves,etc
-they can close it in a bit more with the trolls,tauren,and orcs in one faction like in vanilla w3 (standered horde), and the Alliance Human,gnome, and dwarf ( standered alliance races ),etc
-they can also do something like the WoW type of route, what I mean by that is the campaigns would be following WoW story, and using their races.

Though what I would like is that they just put in major races/factions together, in campaign mode for example the forsaken/blood elves would be as "one" faction and would be allied most of the time with the Horde ( orcs,tauren,troll,etc ). Though when you choose custom games you can just pick races/factions singular, like the night elves and dreani don't have to be allied with the Alliance in melee rts competitive mode. There would also be of course a strong world editor community like here in Hive where people could create singular races, etc that shouldn't of or couldn't of been in the vanilla game like murlocs, or centaur. Dunno it would be tricky depending what blizz will decide to do.

(sorry for my non-functional sentences)

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

More player controlled races like dwarves, Draenei, The undead factions and the Orc factions
Well designed and easy to use world editor if possible.
More variations of spells and much improved models but that should work on low res. computers

Remove or increase the player limit, makes WE has sorts of SharpCraft + JNGP + UMSWE + GUIsator support level (in short, high quality editor with lots of functions and great GUI support for newbies).

Allows sort of advanced editor support like Heaven Fall, where we can mod the editor and upload our version to aid people.

Level 6
A more realistic size ratio between buildings and units. Still can't comprehend how all the units are trained in those overglorified huts and bunkers.

I would like the gameplay's scope to be bigger than that of Warcraft 3. Bigger maps, bigger buildings, more units but modified just right to have the same level of micro.

I'd really dig a feature where you can have diplomatic relations with neutral races, kinda like city-states in Civilization V. If you do quests for them or help them out in other ways, the neutral race would all you to train their units or unlock unique upgrades and items. More quests you accomplish, more awesome units or upgrades can be unlocked. But since not all neutrals are on the same side, that would mean being allies with one race would make you an enemy of another. It would have more variety in terms of races than just the ones you start with.

A trade feature where you can trade your lumber for gold or vice versa would be very helpful.

Return of proper naval tech tree and an oil resource like in WC2 would be a godsend.

I really want to see Forsaken and Naga as separate respective races. There is a lot of room for potential in both.

I have mixed opinions about how the story should be. One side of me wants for it to continue directly after Warcraft III and take an alternate timeline route, since WoW severely butchered the role in a lot of aspects. However, another side of mine would like to continue it after WoW. Despite its waning of quality lore in the recent years, WoW still offers some great stories and lore from time to time, it would be stressful for the developers and the players to restart to a point where none of that really happened, or has to be retold again.

Level 14
I don't want to be that negative guy, but I don't think WC4 can be made. WoW has butchered the warcraft lore... positively butchered it.

For example, if they made WC4...the elves would have to be with the orcs and undead as their own faction (plus trolls + tauren + goblins + some pandas). There's no way they could make that faction... it would look and play incredibly stupid. On the other hand, they can't very well split that faction in WoW, which means that they'd have to make a non-canon storyline for either WoW or WC4...and they won't do that.

In WoW they introduces spaceflight, timetravel, all powerful dragons...all powerful floating symbols...all powerful demons... all powerful titans... self-resurrecting druids... The times of orcs vs. humans is just over I'm afraid. With that many magical creatures flying around the universe making planets and traveling through time it makes it very hard to ground a story in solid small-scale combat.

Level 1
In WoW they introduces spaceflight, timetravel, all powerful dragons...all powerful floating symbols...all powerful demons... all powerful titans... self-resurrecting druids... The times of orcs vs. humans is just over I'm afraid. With that many magical creatures flying around the universe making planets and traveling through time it makes it very hard to ground a story in solid small-scale combat.

All of this has been in the Warcraft lore since it's inception. Velen taking his exiled followers through space to Draenor is space travel, Nozdormu's existance is the time travel, the named Dragons always existed, there would be no Warcraft is the Titan Sargeras hadn't chased Velen out of his home and created the Burning Legion with Archimonde and Kil'Jaeden. And how do you think the Burning Legion didn't destroy the World Tree thousands of years before the Orcs came to Azeroth? Because Malorne a "Self-resurrecting druid"/demigod stepped in. While WoW did butcher the lore (There's no reason why the Forsaken should be free from the Lich King other than to give players an undead faction to play as in WoW), it's quite possible to salvage it and make WC4. Split the large alliance of Orcs, Elves and Humans and have both the Burning Legion (Under Kil'Jaeden) and Illidan's Naga/Blood Elf/Draenei force resurface and go to war.

Level 20
All of this has been in the Warcraft lore since it's inception...

Well not quite true, Draenei were extinct in Wc1 and 2 while in Wc3 TFT they were only what today are "Lost Ones". There were definitely no Na'aru, but at least since wc3 there were Titans and Old gods in manual as background lore but not important for the plot. Named Dragons did appear in Wc2 (All were generic green though and only Deathwing had black portrait) but it was in Day of The Dragon that we received dragons (ab)using time travel, dreams. A proof that Warcraft lore wasn't "perfect" even before WoW but we didn't care because stuff like that was not actually in game. Also pretty sure Malorne is from Wow period, or rather from WoW novels... Anyway point was Warcraft changes a lot from game to game.

But anyway what do I want from Warcraft 4? Can't think of anything that won't result in replay "Mod Sc2!". But yeah honestly I would prefer more army driven warcraft like it was in Wc2 instead of having small squads of barely 30 units lead by heroes which were barely customizable.

Maybe it would nice to have a player made hero that has real customization. You would use this hero to play campaigns and melee. As bonus campaign could return to briefing format of Wc2/Sc instead of character driven stories from Wc3/Sc2. Yes I liked it better that way.

Heh if someone asked me years ago what I expcted from Sc2, I would have said "I don't trust Blizzard anymore, so I just want to kill Kerrigan". Blizzard never stops failing me ^^

Level 24
That kind of lore flaws exist when you let the gamer decide what he wants.
I am sure that Blizzard could make a total new (undiscovered until then) race instead of magically revive an entire race that was supposed to be extinct.

But yea, both have their own disadvantages.

Level 1
Well not quite true, Draenei were extinct in Wc1 and 2 while in Wc3 TFT they were only what today are "Lost Ones". There were definitely no Na'aru, but at least since wc3 there were Titans and Old gods in manual as background lore but not important for the plot. Named Dragons did appear in Wc2 (All were generic green though and only Deathwing had black portrait) but it was in Day of The Dragon that we received dragons (ab)using time travel, dreams. A proof that Warcraft lore wasn't "perfect" even before WoW but we didn't care because stuff like that was not actually in game. Also pretty sure Malorne is from Wow period, or rather from WoW novels... Anyway point was Warcraft changes a lot from game to game.

I was talking a little more from the novel perspective as they flesh out the lore a little more than the first two games did. Malorne was indeed in the Well of Eternity trilogy wherein some (fairly minor side characters, one's a red dragon the other's human and I can't remember their names) go back in time via Nozdormu's dreams to kill the Houndmaster and fight off the Burning Legion the first time. If we take both the novels and the games into account as the timeline of Azeroth/Draenor then my previous statements are true.
I also take the books as being fact as I think they're a way of making tweaks to, and fleshing out the lore rather than doing flashbacks in the game which are kind of stupid when you're trying to fight off the scourge or whatever.

As for WC4 I'd personally like to see either a much higher food cap or none at all. Where armies can grow to massive proportions and micro's a lot harder. I'd also like to see some way of interacting with the terrain more, perhaps ways to build walls that you need siege weapons to take down and perhaps ways of carving out pits and holes in mountains. That'd make for some interesting custom skirmish maps where you have to dig through a mountain to get to your opponent.

Level 20
Actually your statement is still false. Most novels and lore you mentioned came after Wc3 and thus following argument is not true
"All of this has been in the Warcraft lore since it's inception"

Now if that lore is good or bad that is different topic. Personally I find the way you described that particular plotline in Well of Eternity as something I would not consider good at all. I honestly see novels more as tools of WoW to retcon and/or justify its lore.

Level 1
I'm describing Well of Eternity from memory since I read it like 4 years ago. If I remember correctly the two sent back in time were fairly minor and the series was more focused on Malfurion's interactions with Tyrande, Illidan, Cenarius and for a chapter or two, Malorne.

Lore aside, the point was that while these things were introduced in WoW, they wouldn't hamper WC4 if Blizz ever decided to make it.

Level 20
Hey I said single plotline, not the novel. I am not claiming that Well of Eternity is bad series. Must read it first before I can make honest opinion.

Of course lore wouldn't hamper, they ignore the lore when they are making game. Gameplay first as it was always. Just some of us simply liked warcraft better before it was WoW.

Level 14
Many of the things I want for Warcraft IV are editor based and some have been stated in this thread already, but I'm going to go ahead and state my list:

- Higher limit for map size (this wouldn't be an issue since with a modern game resources will be bigger, thus more allowance for higher map size limits)

- A world editor similar to WC3's but improved rather than SC2's editor (this is important and why the SC2 modding community isn't as big as it could be, the learning curve for new editors is too steep for SC2's editor despite its higher flexibility, there needs to be the amount of GUI ability + more as in the WC3 editor, but with that same level of flexibility as in SC2 to be workable both to those with and without programming experience)

- Go back to the map-hosting ways of WC3, where you don't have to upload your maps to a SC2 server in order to host them and can just host your own match and have users download your map without various other restrictions. (From what I understand there are copyright issues involved in this, but WC3 doesn't have issues though and thus neither should WC4, unless laws are getting more draconian in which case people really need to look into this.)

Level 9
- Better graphics
- increase the 8mb limit in multiplayer.
- Satisfying campaigns
- new playable races
- WE with new features
- Can create new custom soundsets not replacing default soundsets
And more.
Offtopic: Oh god pls no better graphics. My laptop is too shitty for better graphics.
Ontopic: I would want a much easier world editor. More playable races. Like alot more playable races. Atleast 15 playable races. Well maybe abit better graphics. If it would have graphics like Starcraft II then its fine. No overpowered shit like Blademaster. Cheat codes that only work on the one who entered it and not on computers too.

Level 3
-Story of World of Warcraft with as little as possible time travel.
-Old unchanged races, but renamed into faction (Human->Aliance, Undead->Scourge, etc.) + new factions (Quel'thalas, the Forsaken, Shatt'arah and Twillight hammer).
-Improved AI. It's good, but it could be better.
-Navy combat.
-Better graphics to be like updated models in WoD.
-Have more difficulty options. Instead of just medium/hard, add easy/medium/felxible/hard/insane, something like that.

In short, Warcraft 3 with few improved things listed above.

Status
Not open for further replies.