• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
JASS:
- =====================================================================
-  ___  ___   _________   _____ ______           ___   ___        ________     
- |\  \|\  \ |\___   ___\|\   _ \  _   \        |\  \ |\  \      |\   __  \    
- \ \  \\\  \\|___ \  \_|\ \  \\\__\ \  \       \ \  \\_\  \     \ \  \|\  \   
-  \ \  \\\  \    \ \  \  \ \  \\|__| \  \       \ \______  \     \ \  \\\  \  
-   \ \  \\\  \    \ \  \  \ \  \    \ \  \       \|_____|\  \  ___\ \  \\\  \ 
-    \ \_______\    \ \__\  \ \__\    \ \__\             \ \__\|\__\\ \_______\
-     \|_______|     \|__|   \|__|     \|__|              \|__|\|__| \|_______|
-
- Original map by DungeonM. Supplemented by fladdermasken
- =======================================================

Let me first say that this may end up being a disservice to terrainers. The solution isn't smart, it's just piling trillions more models onto the already loaded UTM 3.0. Loading times may be a pain. Even just opening some palettes may take you an eternity on slower machines. That said, seeing as this is something sought after, here you have it.

Download Here!

Table of Contests

What is UTM? (Top)

UTM is short for Ultimate Terraining Map. This was an idea introduced way back by DungeonM and is basically a map containing the (most) useful models for terraining, properly organized in the object editor for ease of use. For a good while it was also set as a standardized contest map (or rather standardized resources allowed). Most habitual terrainers these days have their own customized terraining map with all their preferred set of imports and organization. This map is not intended to fill the role of its predecessor. It is intended as something to fall back on.

Note also that the filesize is redonkulous. It is so because a majority of all imports have high poly count/high resolution textures/whatever. Where I'm going with this is that this map should probably not be used as a template map for map making, as much as terrain art where these properties are (moreso) valued.

List of Credits: (Top)

- DungeonM :
UTM 3.0 (model credits found inside)

- Talavaj :
HybrisFactory - Terraining and Mapping Resources

- tobyfat50 :
Starcraft 2 Conversion Pack
Toby Ruined Pack
Tob`s Maps

- oGre_ :
Refuge in Ruins

- Born2Modificate :
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?p=796581#post796581
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=98645&highlight=cloud

- Deolrin :
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/black-glow-terraining-134939/?prev=search=black%20glow&d=list&r=20

- Uncredited :
Some resources are [highlight]uncredited[/code]. If you know the creator of an uncredited resource, please notify me or the terrain board moderator.

Organization (Top)

Same as before, with additions.
Bridge/Ramps
A default directory, pathing has been removed but no new doodads are contained here.

Cinematic
Contains flashy doodads.
Contains subgroups such as Fire, Lighting, Particles, and Sky.

Cliff/Terrain
Another deafault directory, not much to be seen in here.

Enviroment
Contains enviromental-themed doodads.
Contains subgroups such as Animals, Crater, Crystal, Farm, Fissure, Grass, Ice, Mushrooms, Rock, Shrubs, Trees, Underground, Vines and Water Life.

Pathing Blockers
Normally unused this directory should see some more use.
It obviously contains pathing blockers to be used in playable maps, the new addition is that of shadow doodads. These doodads have no graphic but will create a shadow on the ground, useful for making a place seem darker if the terrain texture is too bright.

Props
Generally smaller objects and props used in the world.
Subgroups include Banner, Barrens, Bones, Book, Carpet, Church, Death, Debris, Demon, Farm, Fence, Flooring, Furniture, House, Items, Lighting, Misc, Moria, Obelisk, Pedestal, Platform, Ruins, Ship, Special, Throne, Tile, Torture, Underground, Wall, Ruins (2).

Structures
Includes buildings and some of the larger props/objects.
Subgroups include Archway, Barrens, Bricks (A Building Framework Pack), Bridge, Building (All Kinds), Castla (Castle Set), Castle (Another Set), City Building (Blizzard Default, Column, Fountain, Framework (A Building Framework Pack), Gate, Hobbiton, Log (A Building Framework Pack), Misc, Naboo, Palisade, Pav (A Building Framework Pack), Roof, Ruined, Ruins, Statues, Stone Wall, Tile, Underground, Wall, Water.

Trees/Destructibles
Mostly default Blizzard trees, a few custom combinations of standard Blizzard Models/Textures have been made.
Contains Wall Trees, Canopy Trees and a few other Destructibles.

Water
Contains Debris, Ice, Ships.
More importantly has 7 standard Blizzard water tiles and iNfraNe's water model, all very useful.

This version includes, among other things, these updates

Cinematic
- Added two terrain glow versions by tobyfat50
- Added omni star model by tobyfat50
- Added cloudfx doodad by b2m
- Added black glow model by Deolrin

Environment
- Added shrubs and rocks from Refuge in Ruins by _oGre to rock and shrub categories
- Added trees from b2m and toby under the tree category
- Added felsen variations, rocks from toby's ruined pack and sc2 conversions under rock category

Props
- Added all props from Modular Kingdom by Talvaj under category "Modular"
- Added all props from Refuge in Ruins by _oGre under category "Refuge"
- Added a new category, "Modern", with a heap of models fit for modernistic terraining
- Added lion statue from Toby's Ruined Pack
- Added gears and cogwheels under category "Gears"
- Added chains model

Structures
- Added most variations to all structural models from Modular Manor by Talvaj under category "Modular"
- Added most variations to all structural models from Refuge in Ruins by _oGre under category "Refuge"
- Added most variations to all structural models from Toby's Ruined Pack under category "Toby"

Water
- Added rivers and waterfalls from Refuge in Ruins
- Added rain drop effect
- Added circular water plane model

Tiles
The only tile added is the alpha tile (Outland Abyss). With somewhere close to 100 custom sets to choose from I made the call not to include any at all. Both to prevent the default tiles from being unusable and to keep the filesize down.

How to use UTM (Top)

DungeonM said:
Simply open it up in World Edit (USWME is prefered) and follow these easy steps...
1. Go to Scenario ---> Map Size And Camera Bounds
Check off both Camera Bounds and Map Bounds
Use the arrows to adjust the map to whatever size you want, remember that you can always come back here and change it should you want to shrink/increase the size.
2. Go to Advanced ---> Modify Tileset
From the dropdown menu select whichever Tileset pleases you and press OK.

You're all set, start Terraining!

This is still early days. I tried keeping the filesize down a bit by not including redundant variations so it should run alright (considering the circumstances) if you aren't running this on a really slow machine. If you find things that need fixing, post it here and I will see if I can be arsed to take a helping position. If you find things I forgot to add — that is to say actual helpful things, not some random airplane model you find in the resource section (looking at you, basically every one) — please post in this thread.

Regards,
fladdermasken

Attachments

• The Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0.rar
    44.4 MB · Views: 8,743
Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Oh this must be the heaviest terraining map. Did you optimized the textures?
No resources are modified or optimized by me. They are optimized if they were optimized from the get-go.

I think this is only for scenic-terrains and single-player maps.
Yes, as stated here.
Note also that the filesize is redonkulous. It is so because a majority of all imports have high poly count/high resolution textures/whatever. Where I'm going with this is that this map should probably not be used as a template map for map making, as much as terrain art where these properties are (moreso) valued.

Level 35
My hat!

I never thought I'd see the day of this update's birth,
nor ever by your hands, of all hands. I'm kind of impressed.

On the other hand, I don't fully understand how you managed
to motivate yourself to create something that's mostly useless
to most participants of a otherwise declining and little-in-number
community like ours. Although, what's done is done, and I'll be
tipping my hat from here to the end of this thread, bravo.

I guess I should sticky this >.>

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
My hat!

I never thought I'd see the day of this update's birth,
nor ever by your hands, of all hands. I'm kind of impressed.

On the other hand, I don't fully understand how you managed
to motivate yourself to create something that's mostly useless
to most participants of a otherwise declining and little-in-number
community like ours.
I am most likely just insane.

Level 36
Some things I would recommend:

- Remove size limitations on all doodads
- Separate doodads by their names, e.g. "Environment: Rocks: Sunken Ruins 01" instead of using the built-in editor categories. Switching between doodad categories takes up to 10 seconds in a map this large.
- Add click helper to all doodads which are difficult to select (some Sunken Ruins pillars, archways, in particular)
- Alpha tile

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
- Remove size limitations on all doodads
Yes to that.

- Separate doodads by their names, e.g. "Environment: Rocks: Sunken Ruins 01" instead of using the built-in editor categories. Switching between doodad categories takes up to 10 seconds in a map this large.
And to that.

- Add click helper to all doodads which are difficult to select (some Sunken Ruins pillars, archways, in particular)
... and to that.

- Alpha tile
ALREADY IN THERE.

Me said:
Tiles
The only tile added is the alpha tile (Outland Abyss). With somewhere close to 100 custom sets to choose from I made the call not to include any at all. Both to prevent the default tiles from being unusable and to keep the filesize down.

Level 36
There are a few little updates I'd like to see with this version of utm

• All doodads min/max scales 0.01-100.00
  • Pedestals/platforms in "props" moved to "structures"
  • Stormsphere & cloud models scaled to fit each other
  • Premade game camera object
  • Water level fixed (right now if you expand the map, it only covers half. maybe just get rid of it?)
  • No pathing maps for any doodads

These are just basic conveniences that I find myself changing every time I make a terrain

Would appreciate very much

Level 35
All doodads min/max scales 0.01-100.00
Pedestals/platforms in "props" moved to "structures"

I agree to these, especially the pedestal/platforms, you only use them as bases for
constructions anyway.

Stormsphere & cloud models scaled to fit each other
Premade game camera object

Que?

Water level fixed (right now if you expand the map, it only covers half. maybe just get rid of it?)

This seems to me like a very big fix, and mostly for nothing.
The standard wc3 water is completely useless compared to
waterplane doodads out there.

Level 28
This is a very good map! I can find anything i need but the problem is I can't import the models to my own maps. How can I do that?

If you want everything to be imported to your map use JNGP and go to "Extensions" -> "Export Files" and just save it somewhere then to your map go to "Extensions" -> "Import Directory" after the map saves close it(just the map not the editor) then open it again after that go to "Extensions" again and then to "Import Object Editor Data" then go to the object folder wherever you decided to export the stuffs then switch to doodad extension blah.jpg and import the data. Close the map then re-open.

Level 19
You can export them from the Import Manager. Either one selected file at a time or all files at once.

sonofjay said:
If you want everything to be imported to your map use JNGP and go to "Extensions" -> "Export Files" and just save it somewhere then to your map go to "Extensions" -> "Import Directory" after the map saves close it(just the map not the editor) then open it again after that go to "Extensions" again and then to "Import Object Editor Data" then go to the object folder wherever you decided to export the stuffs then switch to doodad extension Attachment 141808 and import the data. Close the map then re-open.

thanks for explaining :) Now I have imported all the files I wanted to my map and created their objects, some of them occur a problem; says it cannot load the model file but they don't have texture files for them too how to get rid of this do you know how?

Level 19
I deleted the "war3imported/" from their paths and it doesnt work and I cant think of any other way :/

For example there is a model named "birke" and it has 2 textures for itself and i imported them all to my map. But still can't solve the problem :/

Last edited:
Level 19
Here's the exported listfile that contains the models within the map and the textures path set > blp

Just check here which textures you imported in your map and see the path that must be set for each of them.

I'll check it out when i get back home tonight thanks :)

If you actually followed my instructions then JNGP should had set the correct texture path automatically.

But doesn't your method import everything from the UTM to mine? Instead of just a few?

Level 35
I think your problem might be that there is missing textures you didn't know the models
use. I am very fond of the "MDX Pather" tool. Using it, you can find the model file and
open it in this tool, then it'll tell you what textures it's using and what paths they need.
Obviously, if you need to do this for many models, then it'll be tedious, but I don't know
of an efficient way of circumventing it, sadly.

Level 28
Obviously, if you need to do this for many models, then it'll be tedious, but I don't know
of an efficient way of circumventing it, sadly.

As far as I'm concern there is no way of opening batch of models to check their texture.

The best that I can recommend is using magos editor. Open the texture manager and drag in to the side of your screen and just keep opening models one at a time.

Level 28
Weird. If you import something that uses Warcraft 3's default texture it will not show up in the editor unless you restart the editor(there are some occasions that when you open your map without placing anything in the editor upon opening the map and then import something it will show up without restarting the editor with or without a custom texture) but it should 10 out of 10 times show in-game. Can you tell me what you're trying to import?