• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Sound Editor

Level 24
The Sound Editor

Basics
The Sound Editor for Warcraft III has a very important use. This is what you use to use Sounds and Music for Warcraft III, and a place where you can search through the Sounds and Music that are in the Warcraft III MPQ files.

A picture of the Sound Editor (Click to Enlarge).

It is a simple tool to use, and only has a few features that need to be used regularly. However I will go through the other things you can do with the Sound Editor, that you might not know about.
Back to the Top

The Sound Editor

Importing New Sounds to your Map
The Sound Editor can be used to Import Sounds and Music to your Map, but you can also you the Import Manager for this. I am going to go through both ways you can import Sounds to your Map.

Using the Sound Editor
Importing Sounds to your map is very simple using the Sound Editor. All you do is open your map, and then open the Sound Editor. Then click on the Import Sound button (shown bellow).
ImportSound.jpg

After this it will allow you to select a Sound, and then you can import it into your Map.
Using the Import Manager
Using the Import Manager to Import Sounds is also very simple. The advantage of the Import Manager is that you can import whole Folders. This is useful for you if you have a lot of sounds you need to import. You just import the Sounds like a Model or a Texture. Just click the Import button (shown bellow).
ImportManager.jpg

Then just choose the Sound you want to Import, and click ok. The advantage to importing sounds this way is that you can choose a path for them. This isn't necessary, but if you have a heap of sounds Imported it can be helpful for organization, so you don't have to go through a heap of sounds.
Back to the Top

Using Sounds for your Map
Using a Sound or a piece of Music in your Map is very simple. Just go into the Sound Editor, and then select the Sound you want to use in the Left Window. Then click the Use as Sound button, or the Use and Music button (both shown bellow), depending on which one you need.
UseSoundMusic.jpg

Now the Sound can be used by Triggers or some other way in the Map.
Back to the Top

Editing a Sound
Once you have clicked the "Use as Sound" button, you can edit the sound in a number of ways. Simply double click on the sound to see all of the options you can edit. Bellow is an explanation of all the different options you can change.

FieldsUse
FileThis is a non editable field that shows the filename of the Sound you are using.
PathThis is a non editable field that shows the path the Sound has in either the MPQ, or the one that you chose if you Imported it using the Import Manager.
FormatThis is a non editable field that just tells you some information about the sound file you are using, this doesn't need to be used.
LengthThis is a non editable field that tells you the length of the Sound you are using.
VariableThis is the name of the Variable that the Sound will use. This is an editable Field.
LoopingIf this is ticked, then the Sound will never stop playing unless you use a trigger to tell it to stop playing. If it is unticked then it will stop after it has played once.
3D SoundIf this is ticked then the Sound will act as a 3D Sound, rather then a normal Sound. For more information on 3D Sounds look at the 3D Sounds section of this Tutorial.
Stop when out of Range(Only editable if is a 3D Sound) This will make the Sound stop as soon as it is out of range.
VolumeThis is a Field that lets you raise or lower the Volume of the Sound.
Fade in RateThis is how long it will take for a Sound to Fade in.
Fade out RateThis is how long it will take a Sound to Fade out.
PitchYou can change this field to make the Sound Faster, or Slower.
EffectThis lets you basically choose a category for the Sound to be placed in.
ChannelThis is basically the same as the Above Field, except it is a different group of categories you can choose from.
Min Distance(Only editable if is a 3D Sound) This is the Minimum Distance a 3D Sound will be able to go.
Max Distance(Only editable if is a 3D Sound) This is the Maximum Distance a 3D Sound will be able to go.
Distance Cutoff(Only editable if is a 3D Sound) This is how far the Sound will travel before it is stopped.

Playing Sounds Using Triggers
You can easily play Sounds and Music by using Triggers. There is a simple trigger that will play Sounds.

• Sound - Play (Sound)
Playing Music is also simple. To play Music you can use this Trigger.

• Sound - Play (Music)
Thats is the basic things you can do with sounds using triggers. However I will go through some of the other things you can do with them.

NameUseTrigger
Play Sound/Music From OffsetThis Trigger let you play a Sound or Music, except you can skip however much of the Music you want to.
  • Sound - Play (Sound/Music) at 100.00% volume, skipping the first 0.00 seconds
Use Daytime/Nighttime Ambient ThemeThis Trigger lets you choose whether you want to use the Daytime or Nighttime Ambient Theme.
  • Sound - Use the Lordaeron Summer daytime/nighttime ambient theme
Enable/Disable Dawn And Dusk SoundsThis Trigger can Enable or Disable Dawn and Dusk Sounds, so that the Sounds that are playing at Dawn and Dusk won't be played.
  • Sound - Enable dawn and dusk sounds
Back to the Top

3D Sounds
3D Sounds are Sounds that are played at a certain point on the Map, and will act in a 3D way. For example, if you have a 3D Sound at one point of the Map, and move Far away enough from that point, you will no longer be able to hear the sound.
Back to the Top

Placing a 3D Sound in a Region or Unit.
You can easily play a 3D Sound at a Region using a Trigger. You can also place a 3D Sound at all sorts of places, like the Position of a Unit.

• Sound - Play Sound <gen> at 100.00% volume, located at (Center of (Region)) with Z offset 0.00
This Trigger will Play a 3D Sound at a Region.

• Sound - Play (Last played sound) at 100.00% volume, attached to (Last created unit)
This Trigger will Play a 3D Sound at a Unit.

You can easily use the 2 Triggers above to play a Sound on a Unit or at a Region.
Back to the Top

Dawn and Dusk Sounds
Dawn and Dusk Sounds are the sounds that are played at the Dawn and Dusk in a map. These can easily be disabled or enabled using Triggers.

• Dawn and Dusk Sounds
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Sound - Enable dawn and dusk sounds
      • Sound - Disable dawn and dusk sounds

These two triggers can Enable to Disable Dawn and Dusk Sounds.
Back to the Top

Ambient Sounds
Ambient Sounds are the Sounds that you can always hear in the background. Using normal GUI Triggers, these can only be changed from Day Time to the Night Time Ambient Theme, however using a Custom Script they can either be enabled or disabled.

Here are all of the Triggers that affect Ambient Sounds:
  • Ambient Sounds
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Sound - Use the Lordaeron Summer daytime ambient theme
      • -------- This Triggers uses the Lordaeron Daytime Ambient Theme. --------
      • Sound - Use the Lordaeron Summer nighttime ambient theme
      • -------- This Triggers uses the Lordaeron Nighttime Ambient Theme. --------
      • Custom script: call StopSound(bj_nightAmbientSound, true, true)
      • Custom script: call StopSound(bj_dayAmbientSound, true, true)
      • -------- These Two Triggers stop all Ambient Sounds. --------
Back to the Top

Creating Custom Sound Sets
Well you can not really Create a Custom Sound Set, you have to replace an existing one. Make sure when choosing a Sound Set to replace, you choose one that no other Units are going to be used, something that is really unimportant to your map.

You then find all the Sounds for the Unit in the Sound Editor, for example the Folder that the Footman Sound Set it in is Units/Human/Footman/. Then just right click on the Sounds you want to Replace, and then click Replace Internal Sound. It will then let you find the Sound you want to replace it with, and then your done. Remember that this can be used for any Sound in Warcraft III, so for example you can change some Spell, Ambient or Doodad Sounds.
Back to the Top

Conclusion
I hope that you have learnt something from this Tutorial. If you need any help you can post in the Sound and Music Forum, or send me a PM.
Back to the Top

Level 3
Thanks, I spent many moons trying to find were to make a new sound file, now I know that I have to alter existing ones. (And now I can work on the actual map yippe! (>^o^)>-]===> )

Level 24
It's kinda hard not too since you did such a damn good job :grin:

Yea, must of been a good job, because you haven't even commented on my grammar or spelling!

Thanks, I spent many moons trying to find were to make a new sound file, now I know that I have to alter existing ones. (And now I can work on the actual map yippe! (>^o^)>-]===> )

Glad I could help :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 16
hello,

is there anyway to re-order sound sets? I am particularly intrested in re-ordering the sound set of SylvanusWindrunner, as she has no YesAttack sound. (so i would make some of her pissed sounds into attack sounds)

and also, I dont very much want to re-import all of her sound, as that takes size.

do you think importing null sounds and triggering the sound set is the best choice? or is there a way to go about that?

also, another thing,
if I based an ability on another, is there some way i can manipulate the custom sound of the new ability?