• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Region Sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
There might be an extremely simple solution to my problem but I can't seem to figure it out.

Sounds are not playing correctly in the regions I assign them to. I am using the Blizzard ambient sounds, and they just refuse to play across regions. Custom music and everything else plays as it should. I have made sure the sounds are looping and whatnot. I have tried setting them to a region and adding them by triggers, none of which seems to work. Ambient sounds really add to the atmosphere of the map, and I am meticulous when it comes to music and sounds. In worst case scenario I have to attach the sound to a unit, but I am really reluctant to doing that.

EDIT:

I swear, sounds in this game is so broken.

Here's what I tried that *kinda* fixed my issue. Playing sounds at map initialization doesn't work, but for the stuff that doesn't work at initialization I used to play it at 0:00 elapsed time. So this trigger should in theory work:

• Sound initialization
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.00 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Sound - Disable dawn and dusk sounds
      • Sound - Use the Felwood daytime ambient theme
      • Sound - Use the Felwood nighttime ambient theme
      • Sound - Set music volume to 70.00%
      • Sound - Clear the music list
      • Sound - Stop music After fading
      • Set PlayListForest = Sound\Music\mp3Music\Human1.mp3;Sound\Music\mp3Music\Human2.mp3;Sound\Music\mp3Music\Human3.mp3
      • Custom script: call PlayMusic( udg_PlayListForest )
      • Sound - Play RainAmbience <gen> at 100.00% volume, located at (Center of (Playable map area)) with Z offset 0.00
      • Sound - Play Human 1
However, the
  • Sound - Play RainAmbience <gen> at 100.00% volume, located at (Center of (Playable map area)) with Z offset 0.00
Doesn't work at all, but the EXACT same command works in another trigger. The only difference is that letterbox mode is not activated in the second trigger, and it has no event (it is run through another trigger).

If I try to play the same sound again with this trigger:
  • Rain
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing rain as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
The sound just stops altogether.

Attaching the sound to a region doesn't work at all no matter what channel it is played through, regardless of it being a 3D sound or not.

God I hate sounds. It is without a doubt the least functional, yet most complicated thing in the editor to deal with.

EDIT 2:

This works:

• Sound initialization
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.00 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Sound - Disable dawn and dusk sounds
      • Sound - Use the Felwood daytime ambient theme
      • Sound - Use the Felwood nighttime ambient theme
      • Sound - Set music volume to 70.00%
      • Sound - Clear the music list
      • Sound - Stop music After fading
      • Set PlayListForest = Sound\Music\mp3Music\Human1.mp3;Sound\Music\mp3Music\Human2.mp3;Sound\Music\mp3Music\Human3.mp3
      • Custom script: call PlayMusic( udg_PlayListForest )
      • Sound - Play Human 1
      • Trigger - Run Rain <gen> (checking conditions)
  • Rain
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set RainSound = (Last played sound)
Also if you try to play a new sound the already playing sound (I assume only if trying to play a sound through the same channel) needs to be stopped before the new sound is played, or else all sounds in that channel will stop playing.

Last edited:
Level 13
LOL, those insane enough to try to debug sounds not playing shall know eternal pain. I'm trying to figure out the new specifications for sounds post-Miles sound engine, and have had absolutely no luck.

LOL, those insane enough to try to debug sounds not playing shall know eternal pain. I'm trying to figure out the new specifications for sounds post-Miles sound engine, and have had absolutely no luck.
I have almost entirely given up on playing sounds through triggers, now I almost exclusively add sounds to models instead and replace the internal sounds. Offers a lot more versatility and is less buggy. For regional sounds I add looping sounds to doodads instead.

Level 13
Might be what I have to do, as the debug function for sounds aka GetSoundIsLoading(s) doesnt even display anything from the sound failing to play. iCry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.