• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

The new ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
TheHelper bases 'users online' on unique requests within the last 15 minutes, and the vast majority of their users are american.

HiveWorkshop bases it on the past hour, and has a majority of european users.

What this means is you must sample data for TheHelper at 6-7PM EST and multiply by 4. ( 11-12pm GMT )

---

A leaderboard is a popular format of ad, that is 1 'd', you may confirm this here - http://www.google.com/search?q=leaderboard+advertising .

Should be obvious that I was referring to an ad, but regardless that falls onto my original statement of "when they really have no idea about any of it".

---

DeviantArt is an entirely different matter. They milk their users, and have mostly in-house ads. Comparing Hive to DeviantArt is like comparing Linux to Apple in terms of making money.

---

The truth is, Hive's current server is more than enough power but is not configured correctly.

Well first time when I saw them I was like WTF is now this? So I clicked, wait 1 or 2 sec, checked closed and never noticed them again.

Why are you people make such problem from nothing!

I can't agree more with Lag_Reviews and Joe-black-5!

This month is only a test month, so you may see the ads disappear after a month, but I hope not.
They will not Ralle, just give time to users to get used to it!

What will they to if you attach them to each thread or even maybe post.

EDIT:
Removed funny faces!

Last edited:
I agree, the server seems not to configured corretly.
I mean, all the stupid downtimes and laggs on serverside means it isn't configured corretly, so no need for a new server, which will be that lame as soon as some time passed again.

The stuff I am talking about, add advertisements that are only shown for X seconds.

I mean, you click download, the advertisement appears for [user = 3 , non-user = 10 seconds, admin/mod = 0] seconds.

Level 7
As I stated it all in my last post on this thread topic... If you did not read it then I advise going back and reading it to get the full picture.

The ads are a good thing, who really cares where they are, just ignore them. Also please note that complaining isn't doing something.

I am going to let all the people ie "complainers" out there complaining about the adverts in on a little secret (Yes, in my eyes the complainers are dumb people who just want to be heard ... No offense though)

*WARNING THIS MAY CAUSE SOME UPSETS AND IF IT DOES IT WILL BE REMOVED YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!*

1. Get Firefox 3.6 - Download Firefox 100% free and safe
  2. Open Firefox and go to the Firefox add-on website - add-on website
  3. Go up to the search bar and type in "Adblock Plus" and search within all add-ons
  4. Then click on it and scroll down until you see an add to Firefox button
  5. Next click the button or this link ABP and hit install
  6. Finally once downloaded and install restart Firefox and then go to hive and you should never see any adverts on Hiveworkshop again.

*Note other browsers could have a similar feature, you will have to find one if they do yourself as I only use firefox*

Hope this will stop the big rant,
Lag_Reviews :D

Level 16
I am sure some of you might be asking why does this site need to generate money. Well incase you do not realise, servers are not machines run on magic, they run on money.

There is the electricity, which costs per culonm(C) used. There is the cost of the ISP providing the internet to the server (I am sure you realise by the download speeds that this site uses a decent connection). There is then the cost of software, VB is not free. Finally there is the cost of the actual server hardware itself, which can be worked out into a daily maintenence expense (cost of hardware($)/working life of hardware(days)).

All this means that there has to be some form of counter stream of revenu to push against the daily expenses. Ralle being a student can not particually afford to personally run the server for free, thus he needs to get a conteractive stream of suplimentary revenue from the site itself to help cover the expenses.

The adds are one of the main sources of revenu for this site, and they probably nowhere near cover the actual costs behind the server itself. Thus why the recent increase in advertising.

The fact remains that the adds could be removed completly if enough people were donating per month however that is not the case.

Just be lucky this is not a commercial site, the adds would be 100 times worse (look at devient art).

Agreed, but as far as I know, we pay per Joule.. Well that is just here..
In here we work with KiloWattHour..
= 1000 x P x t(in hours)
= 1000 x U x I x t
= 1000 x E/Q x Q/t x t ( = Joule per Colunm times Colunm per second times hour)
Well knowing that hour is derived from the basic of time: second, we can straighten up this equation into:
1000 x J/C x C/s x 3600 x s = 3600000 J
So, if the same paying system is used there, as in here, you pay per Joule, or actually per 3.6 MegaJoule.

Besides that, You are fully right and I think it was a good decision to choose more adds, as donations cannot be trusted to be the same all the time..

Level 1
Ralle could've made thousands off of referring people to StarCraft 2 on Amazon since most people here are going to get it anyway. Instead he adds a scam, very silly. Mind blown?

Of course when you ban every free-thinking individual on chat, you don't get any new ideas. lol @ you.

Level 1
No? Do you not understand what I just said? Free money.

Most people who visit this site are going to buy StarCraft 2 or have already pre-ordered it. I estimate this site gets about 10,000 - 20,000 absolute unique visitors a month. Say only 1,000 buy SC2 through a referral link on the hive. Say half of them get the collector's edition.

Thats $6399.20. More than the Hive makes in 5 years.

That's not including multiple copies, I myself bought 2 collector's editions, and 1 regular.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
MrApples, your sense of busniess is.... None existant.

Most people like me will be getting SC2 from the game shops in the nearby city.

Most of the people visiting hive are interested in only WC3, and those who are interested in SC2 will probably buy from local suppliers.

Finally comes the fact that there is no way half the people are getting the collectors edition. Of the sales, probably only 1 in every hundred so are collectors editions not 1 in 2.

In the end, you are probably looking at only 10$ atmost. Adverts seldom work after all.

Level 1
Has anyone here actually done any experimentation with referrals before? Okay then, stop assuming. I base my estimates on experience. I've made several thousands off of converting people to Firefox / google toolbar, beat that.

Dr_Super_Good, just because your stuck in the 90's doesn't mean everyone else is. I guarantee at least 40% of pre-orders for StarCraft 2 will be online. I haven't bought a game from a local store since 2004.

I estimated at least 5% of Hive's user-base(including guests) would have pre-ordered/bought the game through Hive's referral, if the referrals were to go up on the day the beta key deal was offered.

I estimate 2% still will if it goes up today. That's still a decent amount of money.

People like the Hive, make a decent sized poster (600x371) telling them that by buying the game through the Hive, they support the hive, and help rid it of scams like the one Ralle just put up. They're going to buy it anyway, it's not more expensive, so why not.

I encourage you all to prove me wrong. There's no loss to this besides Ralle having to click buttons.

Level 13
Why are you people taking this as such a big deal, i really don't get it >.< i see fu****** ads everywhere, facebook, youtube (sometimes, rare though!) wiki's. ANYWHERE.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Honestly there is no point to preorder a game. It costs as much or more than buying the game off the shelf where I live and on top of that its another company with your personal information.

I have never ever experienced an "out of stock" problem that requires preordering and that was for big titles like FFXIII even. It also makes no difference as us EU players usually get it a few days later than US players so there is no rush to try it out.

I've made several thousands off of converting people to Firefox / google toolbar, beat that.
Ah so your the person to blame that every time I update my adobe flashplayer or any sort of internet tool, I have to uncheck the default on X toolbar install option. You will not catch me out that easilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.