• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New ranks

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a testing touch up by Archian. It doesn't instill new features to a user's account.
Quite frankly, there are no plans at the moment to implement additional ranks and it doesn't make a lot of sense at the moment.

We will reconsider it, once Hive2 is out. By then, we will have the chance to turn it into a functional system and not simply visual.

Level 14
This was a testing touch up by Archian. It doesn't instill new features to a user's account.
Quite frankly, there are no plans at the moment to implement additional ranks and it doesn't make a lot of sense at the moment.

We will reconsider it, once Hive2 is out. By then, we will have the chance to turn it into a functional system and not simply visual.

try not to talk about Hive 2.0 as if it will be out soon. It's going to take ralle a while to finish it. Its also very easy to add additional ranks depending on post count via the admincp. It will also probably provoke users to post more in my opinion. It can be good for the community.

in my opinion, ranks are bad in many ways.

first of all, we're here to produce and discuss, and that's the main reason to post. if i feel like, if it helps, if i want to, ill post something.

creating post-based ranks will make people post for the sake of posting..

even rep isn't necessary. it makes people bitch around for rep.
im not even commenting in depth the issue that the essence of having ranks isn't good if we're here just to discuss, have fun and produce and share cool stuff.

Pff, a simple level meter is all we "need" (even though we don't, actually).
Easy to apply, simple to evaluate.

The imaginary rank system might be motivating for some, but I doubt the overall usefullness.
Really, it's the same as with awards, reputation or any other prize:
People should have proper motifs, and aiming towards getting rewards is definitely not one of them.

Aim towards being helpful towards others, to improve and hone your social and artistic / modding skills.

aaron said:
try not to talk about Hive 2.0 as if it will be out soon.
I don't see how "once Hive2 is out" indicates a release in the near future. :V

Chaosy said:
The icon I want is just for the nicer look
Which is exactly what reputation is and has been for a very long time now: jewelry.
It does not necessarily display your efforts to help the community or site.
It has been used as an equivalent for the "Like"-System of Facebook (and YouTube) most of the time.

It would be great to make use of reputation in some way, but not for just another useless version of itself (also known as "ranks").

Well I think its a good thing, the higher rep you got the more you had done for the site/for the comminity (atleast it should be like that). The icon I want is just for the nicer look
but you do understand that adding ranks will make people post just for the sake of posting, adding rep ranks will make people go after reputation in many ways, for the sake of it as well (what already happens), and if what gathers us here is the legitimate interest in what we do, stuff like that don't need to exist and will only bother us on the way?

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
but you do understand that adding ranks will make people post just for the sake of posting, adding rep ranks will make people go after reputation in many ways, for the sake of it as well (what already happens), and if what gathers us here is the legitimate interest in what we do, stuff like that don't need to exist and will only bother us on the way?

Yes I do understand that but I think it still is good for the community if it is active even if you post kind of "useless" stuff like "I like your terrain good job" this might inspire people even if it was posted just to gain a rank.

also an idea is that you could use rep to buy new icons wich maybe is a good idea but I guess that counts as a rank system aswell

Status
Not open for further replies.