• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Finished] The Creation of a Quilboar Building-Set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
Like the Title says: This is basically a Thread created to discuss and give ideas/feedback about the buildings.

The Buildings in question should resemble their Wow appearance with a little Warcraft 3 in it. I have created a Mainbuilding as a 'sort of' Teaser.

While i do know of @Edge45's Quilboar buildings, after looking at an Image of an Quilboar settlement, his buildings resemble more of the Centaur ones. I also asked @Edge45 if i could contingue his unfinished buildings and he said that i could do it.

This is the result:
From Edge45's "Alpha" Mainbuilding design,
quilboargreathallalpha-png.274119

to my current design.
quilboargreathalltier1-png.274116

quilboargreathalltier2-png.274117

quilboargreathalltier3-png.274118

The Question is now: What do you like better? Edge45's Design? or my design? Keep in mind that i could also do both if you want to.

Number of Buildings done: 10/10 (done)
quilboarmainbuildingtier1-png.275313
quilboarmainbuildingtier2-png.275310
quilboarmainbuildingtier3-png.275311
3-png.275253
quilboarhouseofancestry-png.275312
altarofagamagganwip2-png.274821
quilboarwatchtowerwip1-png.274853
quilboarhutwip1-png.274864
quilboarforgewip1-png.275437
quilboaranimalbattlegrounds-png.275965
lastbuildingwipstand-png.278070
treasurehideoutwip-png.278129

The Building-Names that are in quotes are not final. Only exception is the Mainbuilding.

Important Notice:
Also i try to avoid using using anything that has to do with Tauren, Harpies and Centaur, because of lore reasons. They hate each other according to both the Wiki and this Lore Video about them. The only exception i do about Tauren, Harpy and Centaur is to add skulls and corpses of them.

Last edited:
Level 30
Thorns would be a really good touch, since they're mostly associated with Quilboar. The rest looks pretty neat, though the third building needs more upgrade from the second.

About the Thorns: I think about making something like this, but as an Upgrade like the Spikes for the Orc Buildings.

The Upgrade would be called: Protection of Agamaggan

About the Final Stage of the Mainbuilding: Yeah i thought the same. I see what i can do.

Level 14
@Mister. Your design is superior to edge45 (no offense edge, eh ;) )
Like @Chen I feel it would be right to see more thorns, but unlike him I aknowledge that this is just me being biased by wow.

About names suggestions galore, I dislike everything @BossGengar says except the proposed use of "ancestral" which is a great word to associate to stone-age pigs. Good job :D

Suggested names:
t. 1: quilboar manger
t. 2: quilboar shelter
t. 3: Ancestral bastion

By the way my appreciation goes to the great production of good models made by @Mister_Haudrauf, when I see his wips I wish I had some more free time from work to make some models myself :3

Level 30
Like @Chen I feel it would be right to see more thorns, but unlike him I aknowledge that this is just me being biased by wow.

About names suggestions galore, I dislike everything @BossGengar says except the proposed use of "ancestral" which is a great word to associate to stone-age pigs. Good job :D

Suggested names:

By the way my appreciation goes to the great production of good models made by @Mister_Haudrauf, when I see his wips I wish I had some more free time from work to make some models myself :3

Actually now that i think about it. Adding the Thorns to the Building wouldn't be bad.

But i still make the Thorns for the Upgrade: Protection of Agamaggan, which is basically a copy of the Orc's Spike Upgrade, just with thorns instead of Spikes.

Level 14

Suggested names:

I just didn't want to put "Quillboar" before anything, but I think yours is better nonetheless.

Level 30
Okay a "small" Update on the Mainbuilding.

quilboargreathalltier2update-png.274374

quilboargreathalltier3update-png.274375
  • Added Thorns to the Second and Third tier.
  • Added two "fire-post's" and two "handrail's" on two free spots.

Quick question to all: I never made something with Lights and the question is can they be used in a tiered building?

I ask, because the two fire-post's will be on fire (well the top of them at least) and i want them to lighten up the Area around them.
Like the LanternPost.

Level 30
Again a small update on the Mainbuilding and new building.

I tested if Light could be used in tiered buildings and it worked.

Here is the Result:
lighttesting-mainbuilding-png.274689

and the new building. Based on the Orc Barracks:

wipbarracks1-png.274690

Again like last time it's you choice how to call this.

I now call the name-makers.
@Cuore
@BossGengar

Level 28
Looking good! Yeah the thorns/vines won't fit if they rise from the stone ground. Also, as you would imagine, the texture on the floor is too streched. In case you really want to add vines, you could bypass both problems by adding an inner circle of dirt to the base: the streched stone texture won't have to cover such a large area; and it could also be a place where adding vines would be justified.

Level 28
Yeah it does look less stretched.

It's looking alright now, but still doesn't fit too much the Blizzard building models style: I know it's unfinished right, but compare the base "circle" of your model to the base of the original human altar. See how Blizzard's modeler didn't let the same texture stretch over an area that's too large, he kept putting other geosets with different textures or objects that would come and give some variation. Just like you did with the barracks, it looks great.

However your model does have an interesting design and is acceptable now! What I wrote above are merely comments on the design.

Level 14
Again a small update on the Mainbuilding and new building.

I tested if Light could be used in tiered buildings and it worked.

Here is the Result:
lighttesting-mainbuilding-png.274689

and the new building. Based on the Orc Barracks:

wipbarracks1-png.274690

Again like last time it's you choice how to call this.

I now call the name-makers.
@Cuore
@BossGengar
Lineal Cantonment or Garrison

Level 30
Lineal Cantonment or Garrison

Take the "Lineal" out of it then it's legit.

--------------------------------

Again a new building. I think you can guess what building it represents.

quilboarwatchtowerwip1-png.274853

Any suggestions for it?

Edit: Also yes the Thorns wrap around the Tower and this is the only way i could think of about adding them.

Level 49
Very cool stuff. I think you should work on some of the stretchy ground textures though, like the Quillboar Hut and the Altar, and make them, well, not stretchy. Change the texture entirely if need be.
Also - I think the Orc base doesn't fit the Barracks and Great Hall buildings. It's not great to have two races with the exact same base texture. I think you should try and come up with your own base - look at Mephestrial's Gnoll buildings for an example (a crater).
Finally, the Barracks and Tier 1 main building are too similar. I think the tier 1 building needs to look more impressive and larger. The main problem is that both buildings use the same base.

Level 30
Very cool stuff. I think you should work on some of the stretchy ground textures though, like the Quillboar Hut and the Altar, and make them, well, not stretchy. Change the texture entirely if need be.
Also - I think the Orc base doesn't fit the Barracks and Great Hall buildings. It's not great to have two races with the exact same base texture. I think you should try and come up with your own base - look at Mephestrial's Gnoll buildings for an example (a crater).
Finally, the Barracks and Tier 1 main building are too similar. I think the tier 1 building needs to look more impressive and larger. The main problem is that both buildings use the same base.

Thank you for the feedback.

• For the stretchey ground textures: I see what can be done.
  • While it is not great, i can't think of anything different. Aside from changing the ground texture: Which would look like this:
    BarrenExample.PNG
  • For the Similarities between Tier 1 and "the Barracks": If i change anything then it will be "the barracks".

Level 49
Wait though. You definitely need to work on the texture making more sense and not just splattering it all over the Base. Moreover I think the Base itself needs some mesh edits to make it fit.
Wooden or stone pillars could be taken from Barrens doodads, and I'm not certain the fence is needed. Just try to make your own base with a unique texture by mixing some Barrens doodads, that's how I would do it at least.
Right now the base looks awful. It's unique, and the colour/texture is fitting, but it makes no sense (wooden pillars and fence wrapped with a wild stone texture) and the overall wrap looks terrible. Work on it and then implement it for the main structure as well.

By the way, there's another Thorns doodad you might want to look into. You could use it to your advantage:
73bf7b8210.png

They look similar to World of Warcraft's Razorfen Downs and other Quillboar/Razormane areas.

Level 30
By the way, there's another Thorns doodad you might want to look into. You could use it to your advantage:
73bf7b8210.png

They look similar to World of Warcraft's Razorfen Downs and other Quillboar/Razormane areas.

I can't and won't use this. I want the Thorns to be 3D models not just 2D textures that give the Illusion of being 3D.

So it's rather a disadvantage.

Look at it like this my Thorns grow from the ground during birth/upgrade and wrap around the building. I can't do this with these.

Edit:
Wait though. You definitely need to work on the texture making more sense and not just splattering it all over the Base. Moreover I think the Base itself needs some mesh edits to make it fit.
Wooden or stone pillars could be taken from Barrens doodads, and I'm not certain the fence is needed. Just try to make your own base with a unique texture by mixing some Barrens doodads, that's how I would do it at least.
Right now the base looks awful. It's unique, and the colour/texture is fitting, but it makes no sense (wooden pillars and fence wrapped with a wild stone texture) and the overall wrap looks terrible. Work on it and then implement it for the main structure as well.

Also i don't edit things i make these from scratch if the need arises.

Last edited:
Level 30
Well... As I said you could look at Mephestrial's Gnoll buildigns for inspiration. I dunno, I'm sure there's a more elegant solution to this.

Don't worry that was a joke i sometimes pull when i have a headache and don't exactly know what to do.

But if you really are that concerned about the base then don't worry. After watching several lore videos that showed quilboar buildings and camps i have an Idea and i will improve that "Joke" to be more elegant and in general being better and more suited.

Level 30
Okay here is the real new base. This time i used the Barracks.

QuilboarBarracksNewBase.PNG

I took a look at the base of Mephestrial's Gnoll buildings and this came out of it. Keep in mind that this is only the barracks so other buildings could have things like rocks and spires around them.

Again the base is actually scratch made. here:
QuilboarBaseWIP1.PNG

Level 30
It's really cool! But I don't really like the ramp, it seems out of place. This part:
b8e252f27c.png

It might be actually be better if you just close it off with the same texture? Or something else, dunno.

Well it's kinda difficult to find a way to wrap this so that it makes sense.
This is actually the best way i could think of.

But i did what you said and it looks this way:

2.PNG

THe Stone texture has to be there. Even if it's out of place.

Level 30
It's a bit awkward. But already better. I don't really understand why'd you need those 'borders' though, why not just wrap the same texture all around?

Okay. I tried it again and you're lucky, very lucky that i could wrap the texture around properly.

Here is the result:

3.PNG

Now is this okay @Deolrin ?

Level 30
Okay here is a small update on the Mainbuilding and another building.

QuilboarMainbuildingTier1.PNG
QuilboarMainbuildingTier2.PNG
QuilboarMainbuildingTier3.PNG
  • The Mainbuilding has a different base.
QuilboarHouseOfAncestry.PNG
  • The Building is now called: "House of Ancestry".
  • The Building has a different base.

Also "the Barracks"-building is now called "Training Camp"

Status
Not open for further replies.