• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Old God Building set.

Which Old God do you find the most interesting?

• Yogg-Saron

• N'Zoth

• C'Thun

• Y'Shaarj

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
Okay Again i am starting a building project for the Old Gods this time around.

As far as i can tell: The Old Gods are weird.......

Okay fun aside i have already made one unfinished building, but i can't decide on the texture i am going to use. Will you help me with this? (Also a small poll just for fun. :p)

------------------------------------------------------
Okay firstly inspiration:

Now for my Current Design:
BlackEmpireMainBuildingBeta.PNG

It isn't fully textured nor is it finished in terms of Animations.

Finished Buildings 10/10
  • BlackEmpireTowerTwistedHallsShowcase.PNG
    BlackEmpireTowerWhisperingChambersShowcase.PNG
    BlackEmpireTowerCathedralOfMadnessShowcase.PNG
  • oldgodaltarbuildingshowcase-png.308985
  • BlackEmpireSleeplesTowerShowcase.PNG
  • oldgodfoodbuildingshowcase-png.308972
  • oldgodresearchbuildingshowcase-png.308974
  • oldgodtier2barracks2building-png.308976
  • BlackEmpirePulsatingPortalShowcase.PNG
  • oldgodtier3barracksbuildingshowcase-png.308977
  • BlackEmpireTowerEndlessFountainShowcase.PNG
    BlackEmpireTowerAcidicCarnivoreShowcase.PNG
    BlackEmpireTowerViscousWatcherShowcase.PNG
  • oldgodshopbuildingshowcase-png.308975
-----Important Note-----
  • Now that i think about it. The Comment of Kyrbi0 gave me the Idea to use Lovecraftian names. ("Whispering Chambers" for example)

------Contributers------
- @stein123, @Diegoit (Concept Art)
- @Naze, @Kyrbi0, @Cuore (Ideas)

Attachments

• BlackEmpireMainTier1.PNG
    BlackEmpireMainTier1.PNG
    539 KB · Views: 506
  • BlackEmpireMainTier2.PNG
    BlackEmpireMainTier2.PNG
    579.7 KB · Views: 520
  • BlackEmpireMainTier3.PNG
    BlackEmpireMainTier3.PNG
    398.8 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
If you can get Stein, do eet man. His art is kickin'.

Interesting concept, can i colaborate with some concept art? like when i collaborated with Kirby0 and his Jungle Troll project :B
Sorry about the 'past tense'... Things have been slow but I have not forgotten thee! :O

~~~

So Old God buildings? Heckin' sick. Gotta wonder, though, what exactly would they look like? Extra-dimensional entities don't really need buildings, right? So would it be like a series of eldritch portals?... Or maybe do a "Zerg" thing and have it be like one giant living entity, with 'organs' being the buildings & constructing on 'creep' (one big central 'physical manifestation/outgrowth' of the Old God acting as a Command Center)? Oooor, like you are doing, sort of like ancient constructed temple-like stuff?

Hard to say. Also I don't really know anything about the other Old Gods except for C'thun; pictures?

Level 14
Is there any idea of the techtree and the units this set of building will be coupled with?
(Just lovecraftian tentacled monsters?)
That knowledge would help deciding how the buildings should ideally look like.

Last edited:
Level 28
Is there any idea of the techtree and the units this set of building will be coupled with?
Yes this is important. But perhaps he intends that we are the ones to make suggestions =P

Anyway, I think the rock solid dark temple idea goes great with the old god theme, since they were worshipped and all that. On the other hand, perhaps some of the buildings could be an amorphous mass of some old god's monstrosity, bulbous and pulsating. With a tentacle or two, depending on the building role. And then, there could be buildings that are a mix of the rock-solid structure with the monstrous organic mass.

I just don't like how the small texture is stretched over such a large wall, but you said that it's a WIP so it's okay. But I like the idea going on there overall.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Me said:
Gotta wonder, though, what exactly would they look like? Extra-dimensional entities don't really need buildings, right? So would it be like a series of eldritch portals?... Or maybe do a "Zerg" thing and have it be like one giant living entity, with 'organs' being the buildings & constructing on 'creep' (one big central 'physical manifestation/outgrowth' of the Old God acting as a Command Center)? Oooor, like you are doing, sort of like ancient constructed temple-like stuff?

Level 30

Well my Idea would be to have a Combination between Worshippers and actual minions of the Old Gods.

The Worker would be a Worshipper.
They would also be able to recruite any first Combat unit (Footman, Grunt, Ghoul, Archer, etc) from any Race they are allied with. Of course they have their own first combat unit too in the case that they have no allies.

Basically If you are allied with the "Old God Forces" you basically are under their spell.

Yes this is important. But perhaps he intends that we are the ones to make suggestions =P

Anyway, I think the rock solid dark temple idea goes great with the old god theme, since they were worshipped and all that. On the other hand, perhaps some of the buildings could be an amorphous mass of some old god's monstrosity, bulbous and pulsating. With a tentacle or two, depending on the building role. And then, there could be buildings that are a mix of the rock-solid structure with the monstrous organic mass.

I just don't like how the small texture is stretched over such a large wall, but you said that it's a WIP so it's okay. But I like the idea going on there overall.

And that comment is basically "my" next Idea:
The Buildings who are part rock-solid structure and part monstrous organic mass are the buildings that can recruit Old God Minions.

-------------------------

Overall the Techtree would look something like this:
-------First Tier-------
  • Mainbuilding (First Tier: Inorganic/Second Tier: Has Green Blood pouring out of it/Third Tier: Has Tentacles Sprouting around the temple): - Worker (Worshipper)
  • The first "Barracks" Building (Inorganic): - First Combat Unit (Worshipper, Permanent) - Allied Combat Unit (Worshipper, Dependent on Allies)
  • The "Food" Building (Inorganic)
  • The "Altar" Building (?)
  • The "Tower" Building (?)
  • The "Shop" Building (Inorganic)
-------Second Tier-------
  • The Second "Barracks" Building (In/Organic): - Old God Minions (Close Combat/Flying Units)
  • The Third "Barracks" Building (In/Organic): - Old God Minions (Mages/Organic Siege Units)
-------Final/Third Tier-------
  • The Final "Barracks" Building (In/Organic): - Old God Minions (Strong Mindless Beasts/Brutes)
I hope you can make sense of my madness.

Level 21
Well if this get live, ill use it for my Nraqi race (faceless). I really want this.

Idea: There are 4 gods so its hard to find a good ideas that match with these 4 gods at same time so this is my idea.

Terrain non-magic units buildings are based on a OG, example Yogg Saron.
Air units buildings for Y'Shaarj.
Magic units buildings for C'thun.
Heroes altar for N'zoth.

Ill upload some ideas soon (pictures).

Last edited:
Level 34
Well my Idea would be to have a Combination between Worshippers and actual minions of the Old Gods.

The Worker would be a Worshipper.
They would also be able to recruite any first Combat unit (Footman, Grunt, Ghoul, Archer, etc) from any Race they are allied with. Of course they have their own first combat unit too in the case that they have no allies.

Basically If you are allied with the "Old God Forces" you basically are under their spell.

And that comment is basically "my" next Idea:
The Buildings who are part rock-solid structure and part monstrous organic mass are the buildings that can recruit Old God Minions.

Overall the Techtree would look something like this:
-------First Tier-------
  • Mainbuilding (First Tier: Inorganic/Second Tier: Has Green Blood pouring out of it/Third Tier: Has Tentacles Sprouting around the temple): - Worker (Worshipper)
  • The first "Barracks" Building (Inorganic): - First Combat Unit (Worshipper, Permanent) - Allied Combat Unit (Worshipper, Dependent on Allies)
  • The "Food" Building (Inorganic)
  • The "Altar" Building (?)
  • The "Tower" Building (?)
  • The "Shop" Building (Inorganic)
-------Second Tier-------
  • The Second "Barracks" Building (In/Organic): - Old God Minions (Close Combat/Flying Units)
  • The Third "Barracks" Building (In/Organic): - Old God Minions (Mages/Organic Siege Units)
-------Final/Third Tier-------
  • The Final "Barracks" Building (In/Organic): - Old God Minions (Strong Mindless Beasts/Brutes)
I hope you can make sense of my madness.

Hmm, i see :I, this is my idea of the main building, upgrading from a inorganic black pyramide, to a semiorganic one, and finally to a full organic beign:

010001.jpg

Edit: I made an sketch for an idea of an Altar of the Old Gods/Void Lords/ Twilight Hammer:

escanear0001.jpg

Last edited:
Level 30
Hmm, i see :I, this is my idea of the main building, upgrading from a inorganic black pyramide, to a semiorganic one, and finally to a full organic beign:

View attachment 293163

I can still go with your Idea. It will just be a Nightmare animating those tentacles.

I made this with Paint, im good drawing but with my hand cuz with a mouse its hard for my.
28377965_1602387789854256_3895808944068624384_n.png

28467969_1602392903187078_1213876857292718080_n.png

Nice Concept Arts.

Level 14
Well judging by amounts of people going with them and asking for the old god improvements on my map(for their tentacle ERPs......i guess having tentacles, mind control, possessions and all that just induces it xD) i could use some more variety than just forgotten ones, tentacles, zigurats and eggs.....

Level 30
Okay a Update on the Mainbuilding
OldGodFirst.PNG
OldGodSecond.PNG
OldGodThird.PNG

Tier 1
  • I removed the Wall from the First Tier
  • I made the Crystals have Team Color
  • The Ground where the Temple stands on has the Dungeon ground texture. (More will be explained later on)
Tier 2
  • Added Tier 2
  • I added the Walls here to make it more fortified.
  • I added some Old God Transformation to it. The Tentacles will not move, because they are wrapped around the pillars.
Tier 3
  • Added Tier 3
  • I added bigger tentacles here, because they will actually move.
  • I basically made the building completely (aside from the ground and the walls) be a fleshy Old god Minion. (Like @stein123's Design)
------------------------------------
Now the big problem: The birth animation.........
Okay i had in mind to use something similar to the Undead birth animation. Considering that they are basically aliens, who inhabit azeroth.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Dang, man! Excellent.

Personally, something about it needs a little 'something' to make it more like other standard 'town hall' structures; not exactly sure, but part of it comes, I think, from the scale... Try snapping the Central building up, and scaling the walls down?

Also consider making more of a difference between the tier-2 and tier-3 walls.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well you're comparing T3 to T1; try putting a Castle by that thing.

Also, I wasn't talking about the absolute size (though more on that below): I was talking about the relative size of the parts of the structure. The Town Hall right there is a perfect example; the 'walls' part is really small, almost understated, compared to how big & impressive & swoopy the 'main building' itself is (i.e. the clock tower & main roofed bit). In yours, the central 'fleshy ziggurat' seems somehow less impressive than the exterior walls; it's sorta flat-ish, not very 'bulky'/'presence-full' (lol, not a word)... Whereas the exterior walls are huge & thick & (with the kind of texture you've chosen) just a bit imposingly-dull.

Now speaking about absolute size... I do think if you line up the Castle to that guy, you'll find it could use some more heft/breadth/width/height. More in every dimension, pretty much. Just a bigger, more grand structure. Like, the standard Undead Ziggurat has more 'presence' than this thing; make those walls tall! Make them thick, bow them out in a weird way perhaps, give those tentacles heft! The size of the wall (by this I mean, it's Perimeter) is probably just fine/big enough; making the width/depth of the walls lesser (as in the above paragraph) might help this though, anyway.

Just my $0.02

Level 30
Well you're comparing T3 to T1; try putting a Castle by that thing.

Also, I wasn't talking about the absolute size (though more on that below): I was talking about the relative size of the parts of the structure. The Town Hall right there is a perfect example; the 'walls' part is really small, almost understated, compared to how big & impressive & swoopy the 'main building' itself is (i.e. the clock tower & main roofed bit). In yours, the central 'fleshy ziggurat' seems somehow less impressive than the exterior walls; it's sorta flat-ish, not very 'bulky'/'presence-full' (lol, not a word)... Whereas the exterior walls are huge & thick & (with the kind of texture you've chosen) just a bit imposingly-dull.

Now speaking about absolute size... I do think if you line up the Castle to that guy, you'll find it could use some more heft/breadth/width/height. More in every dimension, pretty much. Just a bigger, more grand structure. Like, the standard Undead Ziggurat has more 'presence' than this thing; make those walls tall! Make them thick, bow them out in a weird way perhaps, give those tentacles heft! The size of the wall (by this I mean, it's Perimeter) is probably just fine/big enough; making the width/depth of the walls lesser (as in the above paragraph) might help this though, anyway.

Just my $0.02

Well To be truthful: I don't exactly get it.

Here i made the "Ziggurat"-Part bigger in size, but i left the Wall the same.

No1..PNG

Just keep in mind that i want to keep the general shape of it.

Level 30
Now the big problem: The birth animation.........
Okay i had in mind to use something similar to the Undead birth animation. Considering that they are basically aliens, who inhabit azeroth.

@Naze, @Cuore, @Kyrbi0 Okay I basically finished almost everything. The only things missing are the Birth/Upgrade animations and the Death Animation.

The Death Animation will be easy, but i will have problems with the Birth/Upgrade animations. Help please.

Level 30
Hm. Regular "gooshy explosion" not enough?

Might be neat if it sorta gets 'sucked into the void', like a portal appears in the midst of it & slowly sucks it all away, walls & everything. Something like this?

Good Idea for the Death Animation, but i meant the Birth animation/Upgrade Animation. I mean i can't use the same model that is used for the Undead.

Level 28
Out of curiosity, why don't you want to use the same model of the undead birth? It would need a separate model? You could simply recolor the shiny things to purple instead of the usual bright green; and retexture the bones to tentacles.

If you want to make an original one, what about something like a hole/crater from which the organic part of the building slowly ascends out of it? The inorganic parts may built the regular way, appearing little by little.

Level 30
Out of curiosity, why don't you want to use the same model of the undead birth? It would need a separate model? You could simply recolor the shiny things to purple instead of the usual bright green; and retexture the bones to tentacles.

If you want to make an original one, what about something like a hole/crater from which the organic part of the building slowly ascends out of it? The inorganic parts may built the regular way, appearing little by little.

It's just that i find it lame to use a model for two seperate races. I didn't say that i don't want to use that type of model.

Maybe a different mesh will do the magic.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
First/Important Question: is this an Addition or a Replacement for the standard game? (Gotta know if we can reuse words)

"Eldritch" seems like a shoe-in for something. "Maw" is another good one, as well as "Oblivion".

"Gibbering Hall"
"Squamos Stronghold"
"Eldritch Citadel"

(Ugh, not the best)

Level 30
First/Important Question: is this an Addition or a Replacement for the standard game? (Gotta know if we can reuse words)

What do you mean with Replacement and Addition?

If you mean what i think you mean, then it is an Addition to the Game.

"Gibbering Hall"
"Squamos Stronghold"
"Eldritch Citadel"

(Ugh, not the best)

Yeah while they are creative. They are not really the best.

ISL

ISL

Level 13
I am finished with the Mainbuilding. (Now needs names.)
"Whispering Tomb"
"Chamber of Corruption"
"Twilight Sanctum"

Welp, I tried. :D

EDIT:
Some words I'd actually use are:
1. Whispering; Howling; Corrupted; Twilight; Nether; Twisting; Spawning; Ancient; Eldritch.
2. Tomb; Crypt; Sepulcher; Temple; Sanctum; Cathedral; Heart; Chambers; Pit; Halls; Crucible; Portal; Gates.
3. Of Whisper/Voices; Of Corruption; Of Madness; Of Old Gods; Of Doom; Of Darkness; Of Delirium (lol); Of Nether.

Other examples: Spawning Chambers; Howling Pits; Hall of Whispers; Eldritch Tomb; Cathedral of Doom; etc.

Hope it helps you ;)

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
What do you mean with Replacement and Addition?

If you mean what i think you mean, then it is an Addition to the Game.
Yeah, so what I meant was:
Replacement: Your project is replacing one or all of the existing, standard races ('one' or 'all' being important distinctions)

Addition: Your project is simply adding this Old God race to the existing, standard race line-up.

~

Technically, for a custom model, it doesn't really matter; you can call it whatever you want (people will rename it as required by the setting of their own projects). But if you're doing models for your own project & want to maintain consistency, it makes sense to ask. : )

~

So "Addition"? OK. So according to the principles of Adding Races, you'll want to try to mimic the general Blizzard style (within reason), and that includes avoiding the re-use of existing names (within reason).

They re-use stuff like 'Altar' & 'Tower' & 'Gold Mine' (& arguably 'Hall(s)'). Inside of each race they freely re-use words to make thematic connections (I'm thinking specifically of the Arcane Sanctum/Tower/Vault, as well as Ancient of-War/Lore/Wind/Wonders, etc).

Also, there's a few things shared between Humans & Orcs ('Barracks', '__ Mill', & '___ Hall'), but before you get too excited I believe that to be a unique, nostalgic carry-over from Wc1-2 times, when the two factions were designed to be mirrors of each other & had a lot more in common.

So that limits you somewhat, but it also provides a context to build off of.

EDIT:
1. Whispering; Howling; Corrupted; Twilight; Nether; Twisting; Spawning; Ancient; Eldritch.
2. Tomb; Crypt; Sepulcher; Temple; Sanctum; Cathedral; Heart; Chambers; Pit; Halls; Crucible; Portal; Gates.
3. Of Whisper/Voices; Of Corruption; Of Madness; Of Old Gods; Of Doom; Of Darkness; Of Delirium (lol); Of Nether.

Other examples: Spawning Chambers; Howling Pits; Hall of Whispers; Eldritch Tomb; Cathedral of Doom; etc.

Hope it helps you ;)
I think this is what I was really hoping to see/provide; a good solid list of evocative, thematic words that Mister_Haudruf can piece together as he feels. I'd still suggest avoiding words that were previously used (stuff like 'Tomb', 'Crypt', 'Temple', 'Sanctum', (?) 'Halls' (?)), but there's still lots of good ones.

Reactions: ISL
Level 30
EDIT:

Hope it helps you ;)

It does help. Thanks a lot

So "Addition"? OK. So according to the principles of Adding Races, you'll want to try to mimic the general Blizzard style (within reason), and that includes avoiding the re-use of existing names (within reason).

They re-use stuff like 'Altar' & 'Tower' & 'Gold Mine' (& arguably 'Hall(s)'). Inside of each race they freely re-use words to make thematic connections (I'm thinking specifically of the Arcane Sanctum/Tower/Vault, as well as Ancient of-War/Lore/Wind/Wonders, etc).

Also, there's a few things shared between Humans & Orcs ('Barracks', '__ Mill', & '___ Hall'), but before you get too excited I believe that to be a unique, nostalgic carry-over from Wc1-2 times, when the two factions were designed to be mirrors of each other & had a lot more in common.

So that limits you somewhat, but it also provides a context to build off of.

While reusing names is kind of lame. The Use of the Word "Altar of ......." should not be seen as such. I mean many use this general name for their Hero building. Of course it makes sense to use a different name for a futuristic building.

I think this is what I was really hoping to see/provide; a good solid list of evocative, thematic words that Mister_Haudruf can piece together as he feels. I'd still suggest avoiding words that were previously used (stuff like 'Tomb', 'Crypt', 'Temple', 'Sanctum', (?) 'Halls' (?)), but there's still lots of good ones.

So like this:
Tier 1: Whispering Chambers
Tier 2: Dark Halls (You marked Halls with an (?) so i assume that you don't really know)
Tier 3: Cathedral of Madness

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well I put a question mark because depending on whether or not you agree with my reasoning, "Hall(s)" may or may not be 'reusable'.

(On one hand, it's evidenced in the Human/Orc dichotomy of 'Town Hall'/'Great Hall', which tells me "no, don't reuse". Then again, it appears in alternate forms in, surprisingly, all 4 races ('Town Hall/Great Hall/Halls of the Dead/Hunter's Hall'), which tells me "yes, do reuse")

~~~

Your above proposal is pretty dang good, honestly; however I'd switch T1 & T2; not only is it longer but it sounds more impressive:
T1: Dark Halls
T2: Whispering Chambers
T3: Cathedral of Madness

One thing you might consider is to watch out for over-use of "Dark"; it's very tempting & easy to use, but it gets 'aesthetically devalued' incredibly quickly ("Dark Hall" with "Dark Mages" casting "Dark Blast" with "Dark Empowerment"...). Maybe to keep up the Lovecraftian theme, you could do something like "Twisted Halls"?

Level 30
Your above proposal is pretty dang good, honestly; however I'd switch T1 & T2; not only is it longer but it sounds more impressive:
T1: Dark Halls
T2: Whispering Chambers
T3: Cathedral of Madness
One thing you might consider is to watch out for over-use of "Dark"; it's very tempting & easy to use, but it gets 'aesthetically devalued' incredibly quickly ("Dark Hall" with "Dark Mages" casting "Dark Blast" with "Dark Empowerment"...). Maybe to keep up the Lovecraftian theme, you could do something like "Twisted Halls"?

Yeah why not.

Level 21
Level 30
Level 28
Hey I like the shape/architecture of it! But I think the textures are somehow off. They're all similar textures, but still they're a little different and have different lightings (like the rock slab you used to cover to top of the square shapes, it has some parts where it is lit by a green light). Perhaps if they were all (or most of them) derived from the same model it would look less like a Frankenstein of textures put together =P

Level 30
Hello Again. Firstly sorry for the wait. (#Skyrim Special edition addict)

I make it short:
Tier2BarracksBuilding.PNG

- What can you imagine could be trained here?
  • One pre-set: The Red-Marked spot is a Kargarok Egg. So Kargaroks are trained here. Kargaroks are flying eyeless creatures that brutally attack their enemies from the skies.
  • A Possible name for it?

FoodBuilding.PNG

• A possible name for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.