• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Theory: The Battle for Qatan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Hello everyone and welcome to today's lore session, now you wouldn't have to worry if you're thinking "What is the Battle for Qatan?" It's a very new addition to the lore from patch 7.2.

Xal'atath said:
"I don't believe these lands have seen such carnage since the battle for Qatan, such a long time ago..."

It seems that my past speculation was very correct indeed, something big is going on with the Old Gods, it's starting to seem foolish to think that a war is imminent. But can we really make out what the battle for Qatan actually was from this limited dialogue that Xal'atath offers us, I believe so. Along with this one quote that mentions Qatan we also find these two quotes I believe to be linked to the first one, both of which are encounter in the Tomb of Sargeras:

"This was always a place of power, Aegwynn was drawn here and before her the elves, and before them the trolls *laughs* and before them..."

"It was here in the ages past that the God of the deep lost a great battle to the god of seven heads, but as was so often the case even defeat ultimately worked in N'Zoths favor."

So what do we know, well the first quote is a bit difficult, we know that Aegwynn came to the Tomb of Sargeras to lock the Avatar of Sargeras inside it, a tomb that what practically located at the bottom of the sea. And was to be found in the darkest depths of the sea, N'Zoth. Who knows truly if or to what extent N'Zoth may have influenced Sargeras, but that's a theory for another time.

The second people to be mentioned is the elves, presumably the night elves. The night elves were know to have inhabited the area prior to the Sundering, not only that but they built an impressive temple to their goddess Elune on the site. And on the topic, at the Tomb of Sargeras we also hear Xal'atath say "I do enjoy seeing the shrine of a great enemy by the spirits of its own worshipers." What is to note here is not the the former temple is now filled with night elf spirits but rather that Elune is a nemesis of the Old Gods which further seems to support the fact that Elune was a Naaru. But then we have this quote, which truly bends the mind: "My mistake, it seems the "upstart" goddess still holds sway here." Xal'atath speaks of Elune in a very interesting way, for the first time she calls Elune an "upstart" as if to imply that this is where she begun. This does seem to match what we heard at the 2015 BlizzCon, where they talked about this being the site of the first ever temple to Elune, erected 12,000 years ago. The issue is that in-game this story has never been explored, until perhaps now?

Before we tackle the last two groups this is also an opportune time to mention, what power was this that drew the night elves and Aegwynn? Xal'atath also mentions before the night elves erected their temple the Trolls and a previous race caught the attention of this location, hence it can't have been Elune. Well at BlizzCon 2015 they also mentioned that the temple was first erected because 12,000 years ago there was a huge rift at the location taring apart the entire planet. What force do we know of that would ever do such a thing, hm? Sargeras did still not know about the location of Azeroth as this was prior to the War of the Ancients, so what's left other than the Old Gods? But what Old God could this be, Yogg-Saron had his prison in Ulduar, C'Thun in Uldum and Y'Shaarj lay dead at the bottom of the Well of Eternity, that leaves only... N'Zoth. N'Zoth is brough back again huh, seems a bit like too large to be a coincidence.

So now we're at the Trolls, and lets just be honest we know nothing for sure when it comes to their relation with the Tomb of Sargeras. It's possible that they revered the power of the location as something that could only be managed by a powerful Loa. What I think happened though is because of the fact that the Trolls are mentioned right before the elves they probably have something to do with the event that forced the temple of Elune to be erected in the first place, it is very possible that this also led to the inevitable demise of the Twin Empires of Gurubashi and Amani and made the Night Elves able to emerge as the apex race of Kalimdor. Going into specifics on this topic of the Trolls however seems fairly futile since nothing mentions their involvement, what we can assume however from the map beneath is that the it was probably the Amani tribe that had control of the location considering how far north on the map it is located today.

Kalimdor_Chronicle.jpg

This finally brings us to the last race, what came before the trolls? No race is named but it is noteworthy that Xal'atath does laugh when thinking about it so what seems most likely is the Old Gods, I also entertained the thought that it may have been Galakrond but that seems less likely, though possible. The reason why the Old Gods seem more likely is because of this quote "It was here in the ages past that the God of the deep lost a great battle to the god of seven heads, but as was so often the case even defeat ultimately worked in N'Zoths favor." And combine that quote with this map:

Black_Empire_Kalimdor.jpeg

As we can see the location of the Tomb of Sargeras, judging on the current location of the Tomb would into either the domain of N'Zoth or Yogg-Saron. And if N'Zoth truly lost a great battle what would that mean. As we find our from Xal'atath itself, there were constant battles going on all the time. "Infinite armies clashed in ceaseless battles but I'm sure your little war is impressive, in its own way." If this statement is true then what could possible be qualified as "lost a great battle"? What I'm to propose is probably going to seem far-fetched but it would perfectly explain everything that has been going on the past 12,000 years. What if what is now known as the Tomb of Sargeras was during the time of the Black Empire the seat of power for N'Zoth and that Y'Shaarj shattered one of its rivals. As explicitly stated in the WarCraft chronicles Y'Shaarj was the strongest of the Old Gods and as we know from Xal'atath, N'Zoth was the weakest.

"It is ironic that the weakest of us may be the ultimate victor. C'Thun, Yogg-Saron, Y'Shaarj, and... well. Only one would remain to consume the world, that was always meant to be."

In fact Xal'atath mocks N'Zoth more than just once, it also says:

For this idiotic pustule of N'Zoth to have lived so long... it does little to refute my opinion of this world's new owners.

But why is it that this weapon has such an apparent disdain for N'Zoth, well this all ties into the theory that N'Zoth was shattered, because I believe I know how Xal'atath was created or rather from what it was created. Lets take a look at this quote from Xal'atath:

To see Yogg-Saron's nightmare in full bloom fills me with jealousy... and some pride.

The keywords there are pride and jealousy, why those two emotions? What if the claw was once part of the Old God, Yogg-Saron, lets think about it when Xal'atath does mention Yogg-Saron, it does pay the Old God a compliment why is this. We know for a fact that Xal'atath was created from the claw of an Old God and if it is, only one seems logical, the one that Xal'atath speeks fondly of, Yogg-Saron. Not to mention that it makes a lot of sense, if we once again look at the map of the Black Empire we'll see that Yogg-Saron never managed to expand its empire far to either west or south, but its empire did expand far to the east, into the realm of N'Zoth. It appears that the statement made by Xal'atath seems quite accurate as N'Zoth appears to the smallest empire of the four. Not only that but if the claw was taken from Yogg-Saron it would also explain why its thoughts of N'Zoth are so low. It spent all its time fighting against the immensive forces that was Y'Shaarj and N'Zoth and every time it fought Y'Shaarj it face nothing but impossible challenges in any attempt to get a permanent expansion into the seven headed gods land but the land belonging to N'Zoth was ripe for the harvest. It most likely only sought to divide the land of N'Zoth to attempt to band up with C'Thun in order to take down the strongest of the four, Y'Shaarj.

But then we get to the quest, how does this possible explain the following statement, "but as was so often the case even defeat ultimately worked in N'Zoths favor." Well we've seen what happens when an Old God dies, as was evident by Y'Shaarj, the land became chaotic and hostile forces kept fighting on forever. To avoid this it seems most likely that Y'Shaarj imprisoned N'Zoth in the depths of Ny'alotha and continued with its own expansion. Being imprisoned and forced to abandon the fight for dominance would definitely be considered as a great defeat, it would explain why Xal'atath, regardless of origin has such a low opinion of N'Zoth and why it ultimatly worked in N'Zoths favor to be imprisoned. N'Zoth was now imprisoned at the center of its power where it came into contact with so many events in history, most importantly, the avatar of Sargeras. Who knows in what untold ways N'Zoth may have manipulated Sargeras while down there for 900 years? Not only that but have you also noticed how large the Tomb of Sargeras is compared to the rest of the scenery? Well what if I told you that it once again ties into the statements of Xal'atath? "Do not be impressed by tall icons of the titans which stand here. The towers of sacrifice in Ny'alotha dwarf these pathetic temples." What if the Tomb of Sargeras is apart of the enormous city of Ny'alotha? This would explain why a rift was created here 12,000 years ago, why everyone seeks this place out and why it is a source of such immense powers that seems to predate all other life on Azeroth.

But what was the topic again, yes the Battle for Qatan, what if the battle for Qatan was this enormous defeat for N'Zoth, what if it was the shapping point for all of modern Azeroth and what if that is why it has taken so much longer for N'Zoth to break free compared to the other two? What if the prison of N'Zoth wasn't made by the Titans but in fact it was created by Y'Shaarj.

If any of you lasted until the end thanks, these things to take quite a while to make and for every theory I post I can feel my sanity slipping farther and farther away from me.

Level 28
Wow that was a read! Haha

This does seem to match what we heard at the 2015 BlizzCon, where they talked about this being the site of the first ever temple to Elune, erected 12,000 years ago. The issue is that in-game this story has never been explored, until perhaps now?

That seems promising. However I can only be afraid of such things, as sometimes I don't really like the way they approach the lore with in-game content (but I think it may be just me becoming an old grumpy bastard).

To avoid this it seems most likely that Y'Shaarj imprisoned N'Zoth in the depths of Ny'alotha and continued with its own expansion. Being imprisoned and forced to abandon the fight for dominance would definitely be considered as a great defeat, it would explain why Xal'atath, regardless of origin has such a low opinion of N'Zoth and why it ultimatly worked in N'Zoths favor to be imprisoned.

Yes... that's very plausible. I mean, sometimes it looks like you're over-analyzing a lot of stuff but then it all correlates and sounds coherent in the end.

N'Zoth was now imprisoned at the center of its power where it came into contact with so many events in history, most importantly, the avatar of Sargeras. Who knows in what untold ways N'Zoth may have manipulated Sargeras while down there for 900 years?

Seems likely, but still I don't think Blizz lore developers would write it this way as N'Zoth was already responsible for a major event in a not-so-distant past (Deathwing's madness).

I don't play WoW, I only have a genuine interest in lore (Warcraft, Warhammer, Tolkien, Star Wars, Lovecraft, etc.), so maybe (probably) I'm unaware of some things and I'm just talking nonsense shit here.

If any of you lasted until the end thanks, these things to take quite a while to make and for every theory I post I can feel my sanity slipping farther and farther away from me.

Hahaha I think so :p N'Zoth's influence?

Level 24
Wow that was a read! Haha

Yes... that's very plausible. I mean, sometimes it looks like you're over-analyzing a lot of stuff but then it all correlates and sounds coherent in the end.

I hope so, but overanalysing WarCraft is pretty much the only reason why I infest this earth. ;P Hopefully it does all tie up in a reasonable way towards the end though.

Seems likely, but still I don't think Blizz lore developers would write it this way as N'Zoth was already responsible for a major event in a not-so-distant past (Deathwing's madness).

That was Yogg-Saron, or well it was strongly indicated to have been Yogg-Saron since he shows the vision of corrupting Neltharion into Deathwing.

Hahaha I think so :p N'Zoth's influence?

MADNESS WILL CONSUME YOU!

Yogg-Saron_Dungeon_Companion.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.