• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Theory: The True Power of the Old Gods!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Alright I was hesitant to return to this topic but it's time, time to theory craft some more! For quite a while now I have been under the belief that Sargeras has been changed to be more powerful than the Old Gods. For those of you who haven't followed me extensively, I have in the past talked a bout how an immense failure this would be since the entire story of War of the Ancients completely relies on the Old Gods being more powerful than Sargeras. Changing the lore to make Sargeras more powerful would therefore bring everything that has happened in the past 10,000 years into question and make basically the entire WarCraft universe non-canon. Since I've already explained this thoroughly on many occasions I will explain it quickly here, several sources in the War of the Ancients say that the Old Gods are far more powerful and terrifying than Sargeras one of which being Nozdormu. If you are familiar with Nozdormu you will know why this is a big deal, Nozdormu was one of the proto-drakes elevated by the Titans in order to safe-guard Azeroth and Nozdormu is the most canon source we could ever get regarding anything on Azeroth as he is the lord of time. Nozdormu essentially has the power to travel in time and he spends all his time studying and protecting the time-lines this means that if he says that the Titan Sargeras would fail against the Old Gods that is because he has personally witnessed at least one encounter between the two and after seeing the forces clash he deducted that the only logical argument was that the Old Gods were beyond the levels of Sargeras.

This brings me into the point what if there's still a way to interpret the Old Gods as more powerful than Sargeras, I do love giving people the benefit of the doubt and while you may say that Blizzard have proved themselves undeserving of that credit, I will stick true to my nature. What if I told you that there is a way that not only could it make sense to claim that the Old Gods are more powerful than Sargeras, but that the story would be epic! What if the Old Gods are behind the entire Legion expansion, that sounds absurd, huh? But just allow me to make my case, for an expansion about the Legion this expansion seems to focus far more on the Old Gods, doubt me? Just look at the games most lore-centric item Xal'atath, it is a relic of the Old Gods, actually not even that, IT IS AN OLD GOD! Seems fairly strange huh, and what if I said it eluded to the Old Gods in reality pulling the strings on the entire operation? First and most obvious Xal'atath says, "The Legion burrows deep here, if they burrow deeper, they may not like what they find" this one doesn't really offer a lot since it's just an Old God bragging about the Old Gods but it is what follows that truly blows my mind.

* First, Xal'atath will say "the recruitment of the Eredar was quite a win for Sargeras, he desperately needed more intelligence in his war host." This strongly seems to indicate that the Old Gods know far more about Sargeras than Sargeras or the Legion have ever revealed to have known about the Old Gods.

* Second when entering Suramar, a shadow priest will hear the Old God say, "Suramar, its "noble" citizens greedily slurping at their world's very lifeblood." This seems to strongly indicate that Eliande and her people are truly tapping into the powers of the Old Gods as they are infused with the planet of Azeroth and Elisande even says that in all timelines she has seen the Legion is always successful, and by allying the Legion she thinks that she can't die, she even says upon defeat, "In all possible futures I scryed, I did not foresee one in which you were victorious. I wonder... Will you defeat the Legion?" Wait, do the Old Gods want to help Sargeras, yes I think so and if you listen to my logic I think you will to. But are you not convinced Elisande serves the Old Gods, well what if I said not only does Xal'atath suggest this, but also Il'gynoth, "Her heart is a crater... and we have filled it."

* Third we hear Gul'dan during his fight say to you, "Your pathetic Alliance will fall to dust, your new boy king will bow down and serve me as will all of you!" Now this seems rather familiar to something said by Il'gynoth, "The boy king serves at the masters table, three lies will he offer you." Once again illuding to the fact that the Legion have been fooled completely by the Old Gods.

* Forth, it's time for Il'gynoth again, "at the hour of her third death, she will usher in our coming." Sylvanas has already died three times so it can't be her even though many including me had her as our first speculation. But what if this eludes to the Titan spirit inside of Azeroth, she has lived through a Cataclysm and a Shattering both of which could very reasonably be metaphors for death.

* Fifth, yeah we're going that deep, my fifth point is, how did the Legion invasion start? It was started by Kairozdormu and Wrathion, who sent Garrosh back in time to stop a Legion invasion but ironically in the end only served to bring it to Azeroth. Because of their actions alternate Gul'Dan was sent to our timeline where he summoned the Old Gods. And on the note of Wrathion what did Il'gynoth say again, it said something I first assumed pointed at Deathwing but what if it truly meant his son Wrathion, Il'gynoth said, "from the earth he draws strength our earth, our strength."

* Finally and this is the truly big one, "Five keys to open our way, five torches to light our path" and "The lord of ravens will turn the key", this is said by Il'gynoth and boy oh boy. So these five keys are obviously the five pillars of creation so lets take a look t them all. The Aegis of Aggrammar, an item we obtained from saving Odyn who had been trapped by Helya after she had been released by Loken who at this point in time was controlled by the Old God Yogg-Saron. The second pillar, the Tears of Elune was ready for us to take, that is prior to the interference of Xavius, a servant of the Old Gods who used the artifact to kill one of the guardians designed to stop the Old Gods, Ysera the Dreamer who in turn is one of the main hinders of the Old Gods. Third, the Ridestone of Golganneth an artefact originally shattered by Queen Azshara but now a relic that the nagas greatly desired, what the nagas intended to do with this pillar is unclear, the only thing we know is that they serve the Old Gods, as Xal'atath said about Lady Hatecoil, " It is possible N'Zoth may be responsible for her form, but her arrogance is all her own." Forth we have the Hammer of Khaz'goroth which at a point belonged to none other than Deathwing the ultimate servant of the Old Gods, not only that but it is also taken by Ularogg Cragshaper, and this is what Xal'atath says about him "Though he is not one of our servants, he has heard our whispers. They darkened him forever." Though never specifically stated this may be why he sought the hammer, because the Old Gods urged him to do it even though his main purpose wasn't to bring it to them. This brings us to the last pillar, the Eye of Aman'Thul an artefact kept by Elisande, does that ring any bell, she is the woman that Xal'atath implied had been fooled by the Old Gods to serve Sargeras. So every single artefact are were they are only because of the Old Gods, as if... they wanted us to find them at the right time.

So that's it for this point, if you look carefully there are A LOT of suggestions hinting at the Old Gods manipulating everything in the Legion expansion and I for one hope it is true that Blizzard have stuck to their canon and that the Old Gods are still more powerful than Sargeras otherwise the lore would make absolutely no sense. Not only if this is true would it make sense, in my opinion the guys over at Blizzard would be geniuses not only fooling Sargeras but also their own fan-base, that takes true skill. So one question you may have is, then how come Sargeras could shatter an entire planet with Old Gods on it? Quite simple, the Old Gods on Azeroth were beaten by the Titans and as we find out in Vanilla WoW this is because they were busy fighting one another so if it could happen once, it could happen twice. In other words the Old Gods of that planet could have been to ravaged and busy with their own infighting that they fell prey to the might of the fallen titan Sargeras.

Level 16
"The Legion burrows deep here, if they burrow deeper, they may not like what they find"

Very interesting theory, would be amazed if it turned out to be true

Level 24
Also because it is cooler this way =P As they're inspired by Lovecraftian mythos, it is really weird to think of them as vanquisheable beings.

Yeah, Christianity is a bit boring as a concept next to Lovecraft and ancient religions considering that it lacks a large variety of deities.

Status
Not open for further replies.