• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Old God Building set.

Which Old God do you find the most interesting?

• Yogg-Saron

• N'Zoth

• C'Thun

• Y'Shaarj

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hello Again. Firstly sorry for the wait. (#Skyrim Special edition addict)

I make it short:
View attachment 297767
- What can you imagine could be trained here?
  • One pre-set: The Red-Marked spot is a Kargarok Egg. So Kargaroks are trained here. Kargaroks are flying eyeless creatures that brutally attack their enemies from the skies.
  • A Possible name for it?

View attachment 297770
  • A possible name for it?

Let me preface everything by saying your current WIPs look quite good, and I do like how you've understood what the proportions should be like and follow WC3's artistic style.

However, your buildings look way too much like the Undead buildings, with blocky, hexagonal/ziggurat shapes and similar texture choices. They should look more organic, more Gigeresque, Lovecraftian even. Add more tentacles and little details to the Main Building. I'm definitely not a fan of the walls around the ziggurat, they do not fit the style and are distracting. One possible solution to this is to actually make the walls sort of like a "side upgrade" of the building that increases its defense capabilities.

You could add eyes and bumps that look like flesh, and flies flying around might help, too.

As for the last two buildings that you've shared:

The idea of the first one is fine, but the eggs look way too much like a turd. Instead of several eggs, put a single, larger mesh there to represent one egg only, and use a brighter texture so that it stands out through contrast (and it being an egg is more obvious). For the work animation you can make the egg move around and rock and almost hatch.

The building itself needs more details. Compare it to the moon well, which is flourishing with trees and stones and Night Elven ornaments. The claws on the side are way too minuscule, and actually don't fit the grandiose style of the Old Gods. Make them bulkier. Add some floating bits, such as lidless eyes that revolve around the fountain mid-air. The "pond" itself is way too similar to the second building—try making it in an irregular shape, instead of an octagonal one. Think of that Naga tower building (can't recall the game right now), and how its basic shape is an irregular rock pool. Or take some inspiration from Zerg hatcheries in Starcraft 2.

Increase the size of the tall part.

For this building I'd use a name like Fountain of Ny'alotha.

I actually like the second building; it does still need more details, and the texture used is way too stretched, but with proper retexturing it would look mighty fine. Since it works well as a food production building, the hexagonal shape is actually fitting, as food production buildings need to be simpler and less distracting.

For this building I suggest a name like Crystal Profundity.

Now, keep in mind the following: I do like how you used pools for both of those buildings, but using it for a third one in the same race would definitely be way too much.

Keep up the good work!

Level 30
Firstly thank you for the Message.

Let me preface everything by saying your current WIPs look quite good, and I do like how you've understood what the proportions should be like and follow WC3's artistic style.

However, your buildings look way too much like the Undead buildings, with blocky, hexagonal/ziggurat shapes and similar texture choices. They should look more organic, more Gigeresque, Lovecraftian even. Add more tentacles and little details to the Main Building. I'm definitely not a fan of the walls around the ziggurat, they do not fit the style and are distracting. One possible solution to this is to actually make the walls sort of like a "side upgrade" of the building that increases its defense capabilities.

You could add eyes and bumps that look like flesh, and flies flying around might help, too.

As for the last two buildings that you've shared:

The idea of the first one is fine, but the eggs look way too much like a turd. Instead of several eggs, put a single, larger mesh there to represent one egg only, and use a brighter texture so that it stands out through contrast (and it being an egg is more obvious). For the work animation you can make the egg move around and rock and almost hatch.

The building itself needs more details. Compare it to the moon well, which is flourishing with trees and stones and Night Elven ornaments. The claws on the side are way too minuscule, and actually don't fit the grandiose style of the Old Gods. Make them bulkier. Add some floating bits, such as lidless eyes that revolve around the fountain mid-air. The "pond" itself is way too similar to the second building—try making it in an irregular shape, instead of an octagonal one. Think of that Naga tower building (can't recall the game right now), and how its basic shape is an irregular rock pool. Or take some inspiration from Zerg hatcheries in Starcraft 2.

Increase the size of the tall part.

For this building I'd use a name like Fountain of Ny'alotha.

Nice Idea's for the Building and also nice name. And i agree with the similarities to the undead however the Geometry forms were choosen, because of this Picture. (The texture on the other hand could be worked on, if you show me some texture which could fit) As you can see: The Black Empire has build temple like structures. The only fleshy thing is the Old God (C'thun?) in the back. In fact the Black Empire was build around the Old Gods.

And that's how i want to keep it. A Compromise i could make would be to put Fleshy parts around places where the Blood of the Old gods is. (The Green Liquid).

For this building I suggest a name like Crystal Profundity.

Now, keep in mind the following: I do like how you used pools for both of those buildings, but using it for a third one in the same race would definitely be way too much.

Again another Great Idea with the Name. However i found another picture depicting the Black Empire and choose to change this building, but the Crystal stays.

Level 21
Hello Again. Firstly sorry for the wait. (#Skyrim Special edition addict)

I make it short:
View attachment 297767
- What can you imagine could be trained here?
  • One pre-set: The Red-Marked spot is a Kargarok Egg. So Kargaroks are trained here. Kargaroks are flying eyeless creatures that brutally attack their enemies from the skies.
  • A Possible name for it?

View attachment 297770
  • A possible name for it?

1- Flying creatures, made for flesh and formed by the acid blood :D
2- Old gods sentinels.

Altar concept
upload_2018-9-11_22-38-12.png

Dont forget to add teamcolors

Last edited:
Level 30
1- Flying creatures, made for flesh and formed by the acid blood :D
2- Old gods sentinels.

Altar concept

Dont forget to add teamcolors

Actually i have a different design made weeks ago.

12.PNG
It isn't finished.

I changed some other Buildings. I am curious, if you can recognize them. A hint they replace the old designs and concepts. They aren't new at all, however i am not sure, if i already showed "Building 1" and "Building 4" before in a different design:
13.PNG
14.PNG
15.PNG
16.PNG

Last edited:
Level 30
Very nice, can i suggest more TC? :D

What birth anim do they have?

Faceless | HIVE
Well for TC: I try to make the buildings as good looking as possible. Even if the TC isn't enough. However i try to find some good places to add TC.

Probably a mix between Naga and Undead.(Ironic, don't you think?) They do get summoned.

A little bit of Trivia:
The Black Empire, which this Building set is based on, is ruled by Y'Shaarj. Under him are: Yogg-Saron, N'Zoth and C'Thun.
The Empire has conquered the Elemental Lords. Therefore the Black Empire utilize the enslaved Elementals for their ambitions.

So this faction has these Sub-/Races in it:
16px-IconSmall_OldGod.gif
16px-IconSmall_Yogg-Saron.gif
Old Gods
16px-IconSmall_Air.gif
16px-IconSmall_Earth.gif
16px-IconSmall_Fire.gif
16px-IconSmall_Water.gif
Enslaved Elementals
16px-IconSmall_FacelessGeneral.gif
16px-IconSmall_FacelessoftheDeep.gif
16px-IconSmall_FacelessShadoweaver.gif
16px-IconSmall_FacelessOne.gif
N'raqi
16px-IconSmall_Silithid.gif
Aqir
(Images taken from this Site.)

Level 30
You should at least make 8/10 buildings D:
PBBo9Wu.png

-
( Not all race buildings )

Don't worry i think the Count is already at 8/10 (2 of them aren't finished)

I am still working at them and i will eventually update my first comment on this thread.

I will list them: (Using the Orcs as Reference)
Mainbuilding (Done, however i maybe do some changes on the Eye during Second tier)
Altar (Animations Not Done)
"Barracks" (Done)
"Beastiary" (Done)
"Mage Building" (Done)
Food Building (Done)
"Totem"-type building (Done)
Tower Building (Animations Not Done)
Shop Building (Not Done)
"GoldBuilding" (Not Done)

Level 30
New BIG Update!?!

Firstly, sorry it took soooo long. Well i have work, school and other things on my head.
You know i life in Germany, there we have something called "Zwischenprüfung" (midterm (exam) ). Well.... I got the best score 96/100.

Now on with the Update:
OldGodMainBuildingShowcase.PNG

• New Wall for Tier 3
  • New look for Tier 1 and 2
  • Got the Optimzied. I merged serveral geosets together
OldGodFoodBuildingShowcase.PNG

• Remade the original completely. The New building is called "Siphoning Crystal". As the name says the Crystal siphons the life of enemy units (and allied units, if you're desperate) out of them to increase the Food Limit every XXX Life Points.
OldGodTier2Barracks2Building.PNG

• Made the Pillars have Team Color.
  • ("I don't know if i showed the Building before")
OldGodTier3BarracksBuildingShowcase.PNG

• ("Again, I don't know, if i showed it before")
OldGodShopBuildingShowcase.PNG

• Repurposed the Old Altar into a Shop Building with entrance.
  • Also redesigned it to fit with the others.
  • Needs New Name
OldGodResearchBuildingShowcase.PNG

• Completely new building called "(Ancient) Library of Forbidden Knowlegde". This is actually part of the reason it so long due to massive amount of details.
  • (Ancient) - Depends in what time you set the Campaign or whatever you make.
OldGodTowerBuildingShowcase.PNG

• Completely new building with currently no name. It opperates via "bone_turret" so it turns towards enemies upon sighting.
  • Right One - It is close to mid range. It attacks via biting which possibly poisons it's enemies.
  • Left One - It is close to long range. It attacks via throwing whatever element it has currently equipped on the enemies. (Yes the element depends on you.) It also can detect invisible units via the Eye. (Same with every other building has an Eye on it)
OldGodAltarBuildingShowcase.PNG

• This replaced the old altar. It has the name "Altar of the Void".
OldGodBirthModelShowcase.PNG

• This is the Birth Model for the Old God Buildings. It is a mix of Undead and Naga meshes.

Status
Not open for further replies.